• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Mario Discussion Thread

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
i just hope this won't change how i'll play mario. i mean there are some cool gimmicks to this attack, but i needs ma tornado!
Sakurai stated it's still going to be in, did he not?

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
the mario tornado can be used in the air in the pic he's in the air doing mario tornado so it might stay downb but only in the air get it.

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Yep Mario Tornado might be Down-B in the air, or it might be a tapdown-B like a smash attack except using B like Samus's Missile
Thats why he probably said tilt the control stick down

SiD

Smash Master
It is a standard attack, not down B in the air. I guess I have to quote this again:

Um, what about Wario's Bike? Snake's Rocket Launcher? Diddy's peanut gun and rocket barrels? Looks like things are still popping out of nowhere to me.

The strongest evidence is the fact that Sakurai said "He still seems to have this move, though. Eh? Is it a normal attack?!" Anyone familiar with Sakurai's style will see this is a rhetorical question. It's not much different from these other "questions" he's asked:

"You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?"
"He’s not flinching?!"
"Is... Is he issuing commands?!"
"Is this the turtle’s so-called shell?"
"Are these bombs made by Barnes?"
"What?! You can control Giga Bowser from Super Smash Bros. Melee?!"
"Rumor has it they can use those wings to sail through sky like gliders. But that can’t be true, can it?"
"And rumor is, you can even save screenshots?!"
"Wh-what the heck is this? What is going on? What kind of joke is this?"
"Yes, banana peels... You don’t, um…think they’re too much of a cliché, do you?"
"What?! Is this... Could it be?! It’s the Bumper from the Nintendo 64 version of Super Smash Bros.!"
"Come on, now! Where are you sticking that thing?"
"Is... Is it safe to eat that?"

As you can see, he often poses makes comments posed in the form of a question. Its not a big mystery, he's telling us right there - the Tornado is now a normal move.

Combine that with the other evidence. He's only the Tornado in the air that we've seen, and it has not behaved in a way that doesn't make sense for a standard air attack (he doesn't rise up in the air any more than his momentum would normally take him, so it won't help with recoveries any more). All the air attacks except the drill kick DAir have been seen before. All other B attacks have been seen before. The Brawl version of the Tornado behaves very similarly to the DAir drill kick. B moves have been different in the air and on the ground in the past, but they were always very related (Falcon Kick, Kirby's Hammer, Link's spin slash). The game is trying to maintain simplicity, even moreso than before, with things like holding A to do combos, and having B moves that are COMPLETLY differently in the air or ground just adds unnecessary complexity when there are plenty of other, better things to do that give variety without confusing the controls (like the Footstool Jump, it uses the Jump button, you jump, it makes sense!).

With all this evidence, particularly Sakurai's own comment, I don't see how anyone can honestly believe that the Tornado is anything but a standard Air attack now likely replacing the drill kick, and FLUDD works just like any other attack where your character suddenly has an item from nowhere, even one large and obviously impossible to really do that with (again, think of Wario's Bike, that's even more rediculous!). I wouldn't discount the possibility that FLUDD can be knocked off Mario somehow like Wario's Bike though. And I would not be surprised if his air Down+B is somehow different from on the ground, but it would still involve FLUDD somehow (perhaps the hover function, to replace the loss of the Tornado's small recovery boost).

Takalth

Smash Ace
However it's controlled, why are so many people disappointed that they're changing Mario. I would be disappointed if they weren't changing many of the characters.

I would love to see a lot of fancy uses for FLUDD, including edgeguarding and recovery (he still wouldn't have as long of a recovery as Samus or Peach).

As far as FLUDD being broken, why do people have so little confidence in the game developers? While there may be fancy broken tactics with it, the obvious ones will at least be considered and tested. It's not like you have a bunch of people saying "Hey! I have a cool idea. Let's put it in without any thought or playtesting!"

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
You can't tell if its a normal attack... just find out when you get the game, many of the answers will be revealed...
You probably just tilt control stick down as like what he said to do the F.L.U.D.D. attack, tap down with B is probably the Mario Tornado, hey it happened with Samus... heh..

SiD

Smash Master
You can't tell if its a normal attack... just find out when you get the game, many of the answers will be revealed...
You probably just tilt control stick down as like what he said to do the F.L.U.D.D. attack, tap down with B is probably the Mario Tornado, hey it happened with Samus... heh..
Yes I can tell, Sakurai said so himself.

sakurai said:
He still seems to have this move, though.
Eh? Is it a normal attack?!
In sakurai speak, this means it is a normal attack, just check my last post with the quote in it to see for youself. Still doubtful? Then you can't be helped, logic isn't something I can teach.

Fawriel

Smash Master
In sakurai speak, this means it is a normal attack, just check my last post with the quote in it to see for youself. Still doubtful? Then you can't be helped, logic isn't something I can teach.
It might as well mean "Now all of you THINK it's a normal move, but actually I came up with something TOTALLY INNOVATIVE! ^______^".

EDIT: Hmm, I checked out the second trailer again in which Mario uses the Tornado in a combo...
I remembered that it influences the time he spends in the air, which would indicate a special move, since normal aerial moves never influenced the character's direction, with a few unrelated exceptions.
But, it seems like he only moves a little slower due to freeze frames, the course of his movement is unchanged.
Sounds like a dair to me.

SiD

Smash Master
Exactly, and you came to that conclusion how? Using logic. Thank goodness someone knows what that is.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
that person did make a valid point. well, i guess i'll still have it, but i'll have to get used to a different button for it.

but until i get a full comfirmation, i'm still gonna say it's debatable

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Mario's new move seems like the sort of change that will make me despise all mario players.

One of my friends in melee used to always sit on the side of the arena and do a single irritating move. This will be his new character. grrrrr.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You know what... It'd be funny if you could hold down the B button (Ofcourse, you'd have to do one of the special moves first) to run faster, like in many (I think?) Mario games. Just a neat way to pay homage to that mechanic in those games. :laugh: (Not that I expect this to happen)

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Tilt the Control Stick down and press the B Button to charge up...
How come nearly everything shown on the site people act like will be broken (non-jokes aside)? Hold up, if everything is indeed broken as everyone says they will be, then does that mean all that brokenness will fix itself and make the game balanced?

It seems like the charge up bit has been mostly ignored. For all we know, the knock back would be almost worthless if it's not charged up enough. We don't know just how easy or hard it will be to KO someone by simply pushing them back.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Mario is just pure awesome....theres no reason not to like him....Ive used him since SSB and will continue to use him in brawl....but after I use Wario =)....

SUPER MARIO!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
link is fixed

but i'm glad i know how the tornado works down. down aerial, like most people guessed (not me, i was hoping for Down B in the air) but as long as i can still use it.

well, gotta master the FLUDD then

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Well, the up-B works likes Docs did in Melee, which is good I guess. Honestly, I would like to love to main Mario, but if they don't give him some **** range and a reliable kill move, I won't play as him often.

P.S. Did anybody see Fox pick up the Superspicy Curry in the Fox/Link vid? That sh*t looks cheap. O_o

Invader_JDGir

Smash Rookie
i main luigi, and i hope he's coming back. mario is a really great character, though. He is probably the most balanced char in about every game he's in. (racing, sports, fighting, etc.)

Gea

Smash Master
Mario's final smash is balls. You can DI out of it. His Nado (from what I played) doesn't auto-cancel on the ground so honestly its laggy and punishable. I think Mario is being overrated right now but you know what, I also think he's quite average. That is my opinion and until we get to test better there is no way to really see.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
Does Mario's Front air A (Down going Punch) hit as hard as Dr. Mario's in Melee or is it weak like the regular Mario in Melee. That was my favorite move to use when playing Doc, I hope it's still strong.

Stryks

Smash Hero
REJOICE Mario users according to gympy:

Mario is ****

that alone makes my day, his fludd aint that good tough...

im sure evryone knows this, but Im very happy XD my 2 characters I use have got way better, and the top-high guys are nerfed... BALANCE!

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
My 2 favorite characters have gotten better also

Mario & Link

Also i think the FLUDD can be a good edgehog device......just push them away

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah tought so too, but according to gympy u cant tilt the direction of the water, so unless u stand on a good spot, u wont hit him...

anyway after hearing the podcast, gympy said mario could be top tier...

Z...O....M....G!!!

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I'm very pleased with them making mario better

heard about him being a top tier on neo from some guy that went to E for all

greenblob

Smash Lord
My main for Brawll will be the most aerial-based combo-heavy character I can find, and from the demo, it seems like Mario might be it. Can anyone list some of Mario's combos that have been discovered? I'm particularly interested in zero/low%-to-death combos.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Anyone seen all of Mario's taunts?

I saw the one where he took of his cap, (sexyness) and the one where he triples in size. I was wondering if there was confirmation of the other(s).

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad to hear Mario's attacks have become upgraded, and way more powerful. This seem's quite interesting if Mario does become top tier.

Man SSBB just keeps getting more interesting, and awesome by the minute.

Top Bottom