• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Mario Discussion Thread

dodoromeo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah its a shame such a well-balanced character like mairo is barely used, while other characters get the glory:

Fox players: "OMG SHINE IS DA PWNZOR!!"
Marth players: "OMG MARTHS TIP FTW!!"
Sheik players: "BRKONESS!!"
Peach players: "STICH IS GOD-TIER!!1!1ONE"
lol I'm sigging this!

And yes, Mario will become higher on the tier list, his up+b looks way more powerfull, and extra range.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
The Fireball costume does look cool

Is Mario wearing a Luigi costume?

I still think Mario will be play less because of the Sonics,and MK's online
but I certainly can't wait to win with Mario

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Cant wait to play as Mario again. Im just glad the aerial fist of doom is still there :)

Is it still as good?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
My bad.

That move is one of my favourites in Melee. Can't wait to use it in Brawl.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
What spitfire said it's a mix of both depending on where you are when your hit by it

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Is FLUDD useful?
:link:
From what I have heard from the people that have played the game, they said F.L.U.D.D. didn't really seem too useful..of course, seem being the key word there. I am sure there has too be a good use for it..either that or we'll most likely find something. I can't wait to pwn once again with Mario!

P.S.- Fire suit pwns!

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
:link:
From what I have heard from the people that have played the game, they said F.L.U.D.D. didn't really seem too useful..of course, seem being the key word there. I am sure there has too be a good use for it..either that or we'll most likely find something. I can't wait to pwn once again with Mario!

P.S.- Fire suit pwns!
It supposedly has good knockback, so there's the possibility it could be used for edgeguarding.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious.

What are Mario's Taunts?
I know 1 of them is the SSB/Melee taunt but what are the other 2?

iMichael

Smash Lord
I'm curious.

What are Mario's Taunts?
I know 1 of them is the SSB/Melee taunt but what are the other 2?
(Correct me if I'm wrong) but I think we saw one where Mario took off his hat or something like that....

BIG-T

Smash Apprentice
Can someone plz try to make sense when they say mario's fair is a mix between the spike and dr marios fair. It really makes no sense that it is a combination of the 2 lol, maybe ts just me........

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
It depends on where you are at in the air when your hit by it

But it's a mix between both...... in other words it's still good so stop asking the same question
that was answered like 20 times

Percon

Smash Lord
Firstly, Mario's fair is like docs while it arcs to the side, then after that it spikes like in melee.

Tanuts: I believe that one is the melee one, another he takes off his hat and the third is the jump/spin thing from the sonic trailer.

Also, the fludd will probably have some use that novelty-ish, or maybe some uber-deep hidden use. One possible way it might be used is if, say, fox was charging his up B, you could push him away very slightly so that he wouldn't make the ledge. Although Mario may have better options, this seems like it could be effective and/or flashy, and since you can aim it (I think), you can use it from the safety of the ledge.

amished

Smash Cadet
I'm just wondering if FLUDD can alter projectiles paths or something as well as just push people slightly. It wouldn't really come to somebody playing to test it out, especially since he has a cape, but in a FFA/2v2 setting, you could maybe slow down a projectile, or at least prevent it from hitting your teammate/aim it at the other person's teammate. Just a thought, any opinions?

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Probably not I don't think the splash of water is strong enough
to stop something like a super fast green shell coming at you

Can we please get of the topic of the horrible FLOOD -_-

Saint_Mario

Smash Rookie
Brawling Mario

Honestly if Fludd's knockback power is not stronger than the wind at Kirby's stage then it won't be that useful. Anyway a little off topic, I couldn't help but notice that Mario has been toned down a lot since his 64 days, back then he rocked, but in Melee most of his moveset was weaker that the supposed light and fast charaters. Now, in Brawl he is even worse, it appears that his Forward-air, the Plunger, the most useful move Sakurai ever gave the plumber is now weaker... deals only a measly 13% when in Melee did a decent 15%... Honest to God, I expected a 17% damage like Doc's Punch like it looked in the second trailer when he nailed Pikachu... but it appears I was dead wrong. Check this 2 videos and tell me what you think. It's the beginning of the video so the damage they deal are at their max appearently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuy3JmXnB4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVLD69J6n0

greenblob

Smash Lord
Um... unless it's a combo move, damage doesn't matter too much.

Mario was mid-tier in the original. He's mid-tier in Melee. Gimpy's saying he's easily top/high tier in Brawl.
Mario had the same problem in both Melee and the original--lack of KO options. He also had the same strength in both versions--decent combo potential. The only thing that was nerfed from the original to Melee was his recovery, but he gained speed in Melee.

Saint_Mario

Smash Rookie
Brawling Mario

Well if you guys are sure then I guess there's no use but to wait till the release, by the way did anyone check the damage ratios on some characters? I noticed that it was done kinda random this time instead of being fixed then lowering itself after abusing the move for a while, at least that's what it looked like when I saw Mario from a good batch of vids. Does that mean that Brawl is going to be like that or is the Demo was a taste of the game still in development stages like they say?

axi0n

Smash Apprentice
It would have been awesome if Mario could glide with the cape.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
+ He is way better then in Melee that is the hugest plus for me besides the way he looks ;)

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
The only use for the FLUDD I can think of based on people's impressions might be pushing items around. It would be pretty funny to shove an item or assist trophy over the edge before the opponent can grab it.

Goat12000

Smash Cadet
If the up-B really did break other recoveries, maybe Mario's kill moves (F-Smash, D-Smash, B-Throw) will be further weakened and his game will be all about even more sick edge-guarding. It's difficult to get them off, but once they're off once, they're dead.

Meh. Just an idea.
actually i compared his power in brawl to melee using videos from the demo and most of the attacks shown all have the same power as they did in melee

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
quick question for the E for allers. can you use FLUDD as a effective edge guard?. reading Gimpys brawl thread i know that is does knockback like the wind. but can you use it as a effective edge guard?

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Mario is looking really good this time around. He was my number 1 main guy in the last 2 smashes, as well as the first smasher I ever used and this time in Brawl will hopefully be no different. I love everything about Mario, his moves, his special, his FS. Hopefully the FLUDD will be a good edgeguard.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Ha there really is no Need. Issac will be crushed under the weight of Mario's overwhelming popularity. This is probabaly the most one sided in the Elite 8 compared to the other 3 vote days

Top Bottom