• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Jigglypuff Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
EVERYONE EVERYONE, so I guess I lied when I said I quit jiggs. Jiggs totally does better against MK and against Pit that ROB does, and since the tourney I held today was filled with MK's (some of them pro's) I was forced to play jiggs once again, so yeah... also, @people, ask more questions, I must help you get good enough to beat pro MK's and Pits!!!

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Also, I'm seeing some new threads asking questions that should be asked here, so people!, ask the questions here instead of creating a new thread, it'll make the jiggs boards much more organized and such.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I edited the 3rd post in this thread and added a basic strategies section. I'll add more later.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I need some advice:

I played against a good Ness yesterday, and I realized that he's really cheap. He's got:

a quick f-smash that does 20%
a projectile that can actually be spamed against you
a forward throw that can kill you at high percents (shield grab jiggs aerials)
high priority on all his aerials including his back air which is like Zelda's f-air
d-air spikes
his recovery will kill you if you are edgehogging and he grabs the ledge

I think that I need to be more aggressive and hit him as he's trying to recover
from his up-b off stage (although jiggs gets killed if hit). Any other tips?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Sweet, someone I can help!

Ness has pretty good priority and range in this game. His fair will beat anything you throw at him, his uair will beat your dair in most cases and hit nair has wtf priority. The only thing that jiggs really has going for him in the matchup is that ness dies like a little *****.

First of all, if sounds like you have a spacing problem. At 0%-30% you should try to poke them with bairs. Just sh towards them, hit them with a bair at the end of your foot, and then float away, fast falling at the correct time to auto cancel it.

If they expect you to bair them, they can just sh a fair, and it will out prioritize your bair, so you should switch it up every now and then. For example, throw in some empty sh's and try to bait the fair, only to run and shield grab or fsmash or whatever, or you could throw in a pound and if they aren't expecting it, they could jump to fair, and eat a pound. Another thing that might work, is sh through them and you could either throw out a move right before you hit the ground, or land and grab, or land and fsmash, or whatever (don't spam this one).

Your opponents fair can be troublesome in the matchup. Thankfully it won't do very much damage, however depending on your %, it will lead into jabs or grabs or nairs or whatever. If you are hit with it, DI back and down, try to get back and get your shield out, or get back and jab, switch it up. Pound can be a usefully tool to get around high priority moves such as this, however don't spam it.

When you hit their shield and retreat you should be well out of range of the fsmash and you should be able to get your shield out in time. Always be aware of what moves your opponents can hit you with at any given point, and pay extra attention to dodging attacks that will kill.

What projectile are you talking about, cause you can just jump over the pk fire and it is laggy as balls. Otherwise, with the up b, just nair it. don't airdodge through it cause it will wrap around and hit you. Also, a little trick that simna does, is up b near you, force you to react and try to avoid the pk thunder, only to wrap it around and hit himself into you. Avoid that one.

Back throw starts to kill around 130%. When you are around that percent, actively avoid being grab. Just remember that your opponent probably knows you are avoiding the grab, and also knows that while you are avoiding the grab, you leave yourself open in other aspects.

As far as the dair, just recover smart and avoid the dair.

For most characters its easiest to get them to 70% and rest them, with ness, you could do that, or an even easier way is just to get them off the stage and edge guard. Ness has one of the worst recoveries in the game. Generally you should be very aggressive and follow him out there. Try to get in the way of his pk thunder so that he just falls and dies. Otherwise, if you happen to get hit (dont do it on purpose cause it will kill you) the pk cannon shortens in range and they'll die. Otherwise you could jump on the ledge just before you opponent gets to it, and steal the edge using invincibility frames. (if you get hit, just wall tech the stage, XD)

ok, so I wrote an *** ton, hope that helps.

BearForce1

Smash Rookie
What's a good team mate for a Jigglypuff?
Or should I use someone else in Team Battles? <_<

TheStig

Smash Lord
Sweet, someone I can help!

Ness has pretty good priority and range in this game. His fair will beat anything you throw at him, his uair will beat your dair in most cases and hit nair has wtf priority. The only thing that jiggs really has going for him in the matchup is that ness dies like a little *****.

First of all, if sounds like you have a spacing problem. At 0%-30% you should try to poke them with bairs. Just sh towards them, hit them with a bair at the end of your foot, and then float away, fast falling at the correct time to auto cancel it.

If they expect you to bair them, they can just sh a fair, and it will out prioritize your bair, so you should switch it up every now and then. For example, throw in some empty sh's and try to bait the fair, only to run and shield grab or fsmash or whatever, or you could throw in a pound and if they aren't expecting it, they could jump to fair, and eat a pound. Another thing that might work, is sh through them and you could either throw out a move right before you hit the ground, or land and grab, or land and fsmash, or whatever (don't spam this one).

Your opponents fair can be troublesome in the matchup. Thankfully it won't do very much damage, however depending on your %, it will lead into jabs or grabs or nairs or whatever. If you are hit with it, DI back and down, try to get back and get your shield out, or get back and jab, switch it up. Pound can be a usefully tool to get around high priority moves such as this, however don't spam it.

When you hit their shield and retreat you should be well out of range of the fsmash and you should be able to get your shield out in time. Always be aware of what moves your opponents can hit you with at any given point, and pay extra attention to dodging attacks that will kill.

What projectile are you talking about, cause you can just jump over the pk fire and it is laggy as balls. Otherwise, with the up b, just nair it. don't airdodge through it cause it will wrap around and hit you. Also, a little trick that simna does, is up b near you, force you to react and try to avoid the pk thunder, only to wrap it around and hit himself into you. Avoid that one.

Back throw starts to kill around 130%. When you are around that percent, actively avoid being grab. Just remember that your opponent probably knows you are avoiding the grab, and also knows that while you are avoiding the grab, you leave yourself open in other aspects.

As far as the dair, just recover smart and avoid the dair.

For most characters its easiest to get them to 70% and rest them, with ness, you could do that, or an even easier way is just to get them off the stage and edge guard. Ness has one of the worst recoveries in the game. Generally you should be very aggressive and follow him out there. Try to get in the way of his pk thunder so that he just falls and dies. Otherwise, if you happen to get hit (dont do it on purpose cause it will kill you) the pk cannon shortens in range and they'll die. Otherwise you could jump on the ledge just before you opponent gets to it, and steal the edge using invincibility frames. (if you get hit, just wall tech the stage, XD)

ok, so I wrote an *** ton, hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice, this is some good **** right here. I definately need to do more well spaced sh b-airs. Do you have any newer matches of Jigglypuff up?

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Indeed. It's a shame I can't pull that off consistently online due to lag and all. I really need to find people around my area that are decent. Plus, I'm so disappointed in myself, I lost a Jiggs ditto over at GameFAQs cause the guy was a known lagger and always played in lag. I got like a suicide each match <_<

Oh yeah, I've been seeing an increase in Pikachu users over on online and though I seem to beat out most of them, they're annoying to play as. Dsmash is annoying since shielding it will either break your shield or they'll get through and hit you anyways. Upsmash is still a killer especially when coupled with thunder, so Upsmash out of shield becomes scary at times. I love poking through their thunder jolts with Nair though, it seems like most of them don't expect it for some reason. Anyways, anyone useful tips against Pikachus? For example, if I get caught in Dsmash, what should I do? For now, I've been smash DIing to the right or left in an attempt to get out or at least to avoid a complete vertical knockback so I don't get hit by thunder.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
sorry to bother, but i have a few questions.

1. in melee my strategy with jiggs mainly revolved around uthrow>rest. Because of the now insane range of throws that is now impossible so i would like to know what a good resting strategy is. I have heard of dair>rest and air dodge>rest but I want to hear a pro's opinion on it.

2. because of my atrocious lack of resting ability I have been practically forced to spam fairs and bairs. should I mix things up more or is this a legitimate, workable, strategy?

3. should I even bother trying to learn how to use "sing?"

And 4. on a whim, which Jiggs costume do you use, if any?

thanks in advance

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy

1. in melee my strategy with jiggs mainly revolved around uthrow>rest. Because of the now insane range of throws that is now impossible so i would like to know what a good resting strategy is. I have heard of dair>rest and air dodge>rest but I want to hear a pro's opinion on it.

2. because of my atrocious lack of resting ability I have been practically forced to spam fairs and bairs. should I mix things up more or is this a legitimate, workable, strategy?

thanks in advance
I'm no pro but I'm pretty sure I can offer some advice right now...

1. Dair > Rest is probably the best way to land it due to the fact that it counts as a combo now if done correctly. I'm not sure if you have to FF or not but people have been saying so but I haven't noticed myself doing it, unless it became 2nd nature to me or something. Never tried air dodge to rest but powershield to rest works on some characters such as Wolf when they do their Fsmash. Heck, sometimes just jumping into a rest works too if your opponent messes up or you get the opportunity.

2. Mixing things up is always a good idea, it's not good to get predictable. Read Bowyer's post on the first page about using Bair and such or refer to the Jigglypuff guide.

3. I see no point, even if ledge-canceled sing is still in, but correct me if I'm wrong other players.

4. The green sleepy hat FTW.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I'm no pro but I'm pretty sure I can offer some advice right now...

1. Dair > Rest is probably the best way to land it due to the fact that it counts as a combo now if done correctly. I'm not sure if you have to FF or not but people have been saying so but I haven't noticed myself doing it, unless it became 2nd nature to me or something. Never tried air dodge to rest but powershield to rest works on some characters such as Wolf when they do their Fsmash. Heck, sometimes just jumping into a rest works too if your opponent messes up or you get the opportunity.

4. The green sleepy hat FTW.
1. Dair -> Rest is too good. I caught my friend with it twice the other day, he was completely wtf'd. Glad they brought it back from N64 jiggs :chuckle:

4. Yes. Very much so.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
thanks a ton guys, I will definitely try your advice. I wish everyone on SWF would be so kind and helpful.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master

thanks in advance
Other people have already commented on this stuff, but I'll elaborate a little more.

1. sh dair to rest requires that you ff right before you hit the ground. If you don't ff then they will be able to get their shield out in time, if you ff to soon it won't auto cancel and you'll be sitting in lag. it stops working around 130% because toons start getting knocked back by the dair.

Air dodge to rest doesn't work reliably. The only time I even attempt it is when I'm completely ****ing around.

You should learn to rest outta shield. If someone poorly spaces an attack on your shield you can jump rest or just let go of shield and rest. Learning how to power shield consistently can lead to more rests as well.

You probably shouldn't rest until your opponent is at killing percent. Check out the chart on the 2nd post on the 1st page.

2. bair is your standard approach/poke move. Check out my approach section on the 3rd post on the 1st page. But switching things up is always necessary.

3. When you sing, you snap to the edge, so you could ledge cancel a sing, and hop to make your opponent sleep. but don't do that very often cause you'll get punished.

4. green hat

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I stuck a couple of my vids on the 1st post. If anyone finds any pro jiggs vids, stick em here and I'll post them on the 1st post.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Sorry if this has been addressed, but what do you guys think of Jiggs online? I don't know about everyone else but unless it's with a friend in close proximity, I always get a bit of lag against other opponents. Considering some of jigs's moves require precise timing to keep them juggled, would it be worth trying to learn to condition my fingers to start "air-ing" ahead of time? First time I tried jiggs online even the split second lag made me miss a critical aerial now and then that could have kept them offstage.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Jiggs is terrible online. Even in the lowest amount of lag is too much to play jiggs well. Spacing is ******** hard online, and with jiggs not having much aerial priority, it is a huge problem. Also, its basically impossible to land a rest and if you take the rest away from jiggs, she sucks way hard.

thx

Smash Ace
i find it hard to hit with rest in this game...well harder obviously ive played jiggz my whole smash life lol i do find that rollout is so much better in this game and i find jiggz in teams godly not because of the rest rack up damage easy death but for everything. Whos a good character to team with jiggz in this game this time around? Also i find it impossible to use jiggz online i cant play her for crap there -_- and is there a drill rest in this game i saw it in one match and i was like whoa maybe someone might wanna mess around with that on higher percents than the last game or something

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Jiggs is pretty bad online for the aforementioned reasons. That's why I'll only use Jiggs if I know I'll play someone where the lag is negligible, otherwise I switch to Falco, Olimar, or Marth. That's why when you play online, play someone around your region so the lag isn't noticeable. Sure you may miss some aerials every once in a while, but it's better than nothing I suppose. I've actually hit Dair -> Rest quite a few times over online when playing with people within my state or a state or two away.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
You can't really combo into rest as easy in this game, but its definitely easier to land straight up. And sh dair to rest is in this game. You have to ff right before you hit the ground to auto cancel it at the right time. If you don't ff it right before you hit the ground, they can get their shield out.

Frankly if you can't get rests as soon as it will kill, you won't be winning many games against the pros. This holds especially true against toons like MK and GW. You should seriously learn how to rest good.

I don't play jiggs in teams so I couldn't really tell you who would be a good teammate. Just team with the best person around you and have them play their best character XD

thx

Smash Ace
lmao i am really good with jiggz and i used to play her and be really good like top ten at tournies and such now my jiggz is fine without rest but i havent tried her in singles that much but in teams i have been able to catch rest if a team partner does like an a combo i run to it and rest while they're trying to di out of it and grab rest i am just picking up jiggz again in singles so im trying to see if its like jiggz in melee (slight differences but i get some of it) and i played pc and cort it caught them and i did fine i think rest would be better if i could catch i just wanted to know if there was any combos for it or do you have to just tech chase it or drill rest idk

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
umm... no offense but top 10 at tourneys doesn't mean a thing. There could be only a handful of people or there could be a lack of good players. And you saying that your jiggs does fine without rest tells me that either the people you play with aren't good, or the people you play against play with ****ty toons. I'm not trying to start **** here, I'm just saying that what you just said doesn't make me think that you are good.

thx

Smash Ace
no no no okay let me explain melee i was really good im just saying im usually up there when i play and i havet used jiggz in singles because i heard that her rest was wack and stuff so i only used her in teams when i could get a easy rest and like quick wake up ya know? and i kno wat you mean let me just clear things up and i just started reading more on jiggz now because i wanna play her again but thats why im trying to find out if she plays like she did before not that i dont rest now its just i would rather see if there was anything i could do before i ever start to play jiggz again where i can get like an easier rest or rest combo get me? sry if this doesnt make any sense im doing like a million things at once and i play good people in nyc our smash scene is filled with really good players so i dont think i play scrubs i kinda take offense to that but its cool no harm done

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
In the next few days I'm going to find out some percents that toons die over the top on Green greens along with on platforms from a couple other stages. I'm not going to do it on all the characters because that would take an *** lot of time, so I'm taking character requests for rest killing percent.

TheStig

Smash Lord
after watching the video of bowyer vs NoJ in greengreens, i'm starting to like that stage. g&w killed himself twice by hitting the bombs.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Here's the percents that a few toons die on Green Greens:

MK-61%
Snake-76%
GW-51%
DDD-80%
Bowser-71%
Olimar-51%

This is with DI and doing an attack as soon as possible.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Also, I'm currently getting looked at for the smash backroom, everyone give me support!

(Ok, so posts about support won't really do anything, but... DO IT ANYWAYS!) :)

Slifer-san

Smash Cadet
supportsupportsupport

A question if possible, good sir.

I've heard that Wario, R.O.B, and Metaknight are now better at WoPing then Jigglypuff. Is this true?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
You need to define your definition of WoP. So many people have different definitions, ranging from blindly throwing out bairs over and over to carrying someone away with bairs.

Wario has better air control than jiggs. I'm not sure how good of priority his aerials have, but jiggs' priority kinda sucks, so I'm guess that he can throw out bairs and fairs better than jiggs.

ROB can combo people off the stage with fairs, so thats similar to jiggs' bair carry away thing in melee, and he's got better range than jiggs so thats better.

MK is basically a faster version of jigglypuff with a sword. His priority is amazing and I guess he could spam bairs with little problem, but he probably won't be able to string a bunch together.

But jiggs ability to do 2 aerials in a sh is really really good.

Jiggs' best WoP is spamming empty sh's

But honestly the word WoP is thrown around way too loosly with jiggs and has totally lost its meaning.

Thanks for the support XD

TheStig

Smash Lord
i've been practicing the d-air to rest on my friends, and i was wondering, what are some good approach methods for this technique?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Its good to do out of shield and also, if you hit their shield with something and then dair it, it will probably shield poke. You can try shield putting pressure on them by shield camping right in their face and then when you have a chance to get a quick hit on them or their shield, just use it.

Hope that helps.

You could also try watching some vids of me. Hopefully that will help you can gain some insight on how to pull off dair to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom