• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There is no truth, only a perspective. We must transcend the illusion, breaking the barricade of infinite cognizance says:
its inescapable :-O, therefore its banned
Swordgard von karma/ Back to canada! says:
yes, but its slow enough to be grab broken, reflex got out of a grab at 56% insta grab break vs ally if you cant do it, its just another set of skills :p
Is it weird that it tickles me so to get namedropped for that so often?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Is it weird that it tickles me so to get namedropped for that so often?
I was trying to convince him that you could get out of grabs, and your the only person i know who can do it that fast XD

Theres only one problem with your argument. You think that i have some sort of knowledge/credibility in the matter.

I have literally no good rankings either online or offline, and i lack any type of skills at the game . Anyone in canada whos played me recently can confirm this. So does anyone who knows me on AIB (go and check my ranking, i barely got over a few thousands points. )

Niko_K

Smash Master
Swordgard you suck at covering up. You just wrote the most detailed DI guide that SWF has seen and you're trying to say you don't know anything and you suck. What a troll!

Nice try lain :p

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
IC's... Meh. In theory, they look a little broken, but the funny thing is that other characters are broken past that level, in theory. In practice, the translation from theory to game time usually ends in the same result, with IC's losing to other characters better than them (or sometimes even worse than them overall).

With as powerful as infinite grabs are, some characters have a more powerful tool of just being able to play keep away. You would probably have to ban the IC counter strategies or make them near unstoppable before you would ban their infinites.

Niko_K

Smash Master
An IC main who is aware of their opponents evasive strategies is simply going to predict and land a grab. It's not like as soon as a character starts playing evade, IC instantly can't get grabs...

Also, since the match starts the IC's already have all the pre reqs they need to start infinites anyways. They can just sit there and spammed PROPERLY spaced DS Blizzards.

It's also about the risk reward, which is like, 1-99. You miss a grab, you'll take maybe 10%. Where as you get the grab, you take their stock.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Swordgard you suck at covering up. You just wrote the most detailed DI guide that SWF has seen and you're trying to say you don't know anything and you suck. What a troll!

Nice try lain :p
That wont happen, ics are obviously low tier man.

Chaingrabs are too hard to do anyways to be viable in tourney, its a known fact.

Nobody can even 0 to death once without missing.

The only video we have of people infiniting are vs computers! And everyone know those cant DI for crap.

Hive

Smash Lord
low tier lol? i see ics place top ten all the time in major and minor tourneys... no low tiers can do that ^^\
overrated maybe.. but i still think they are in the upper half of the cast at least...

Tero.

Smash Champion
That wont happen, ics are obviously low tier man.

Chaingrabs are too hard to do anyways to be viable in tourney, its a known fact.

Nobody can even 0 to death once without missing.

The only video we have of people infiniting are vs computers! And everyone know those cant DI for crap.
lol are you kidding?

You have to be kidding ...

oh well you are kidding.

:005:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Tounament results are not purely indicative of tier placement. This goes back to a long discussion we had in the D3 Chaingrab thread. To paraphrase M2K, tournaments are way too much about who is good, who is still playing, and who isn't.

If good players in small-medium sized tournaments want to be IC fanboys and play them, they'll be able to beat a few lesser players with better characters. Still, they're just placing meaning players who are comparitively just as good or better beat them with better characters. "Placing" doesn't prove anything.

I haven't looked at Major tournament results lately with the best pros playing, but I'm willing to bet MKs, Snakes, Diddys, and Falcos are still winning. Or at least ICs aren't.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
IC's... Meh. In theory, they look a little broken, but the funny thing is that other characters are broken past that level, in theory. In practice, the translation from theory to game time usually ends in the same result, with IC's losing to other characters better than them (or sometimes even worse than them overall).

With as powerful as infinite grabs are, some characters have a more powerful tool of just being able to play keep away. You would probably have to ban the IC counter strategies or make them near unstoppable before you would ban their infinites.
Not even in theory.

Their lack of set-ups, and their very limited grab range make actually getting a grab in against anyone but certain characters require a massive mistake, this limits them both in theory and practice.

This is one of those "get better paper" things, and current match-ups almost universally acknowledge that ICs lack the grab range to truly be a threat in most match-ups, infinite or no.

Then he therefore counters ics.

Random warlock punches* simply cannot be powershielded easily could kill both ice climbers very easily due to nanas stupidity
*Bolding added

While I haven't analyzed the match-up so I cannot be sure about who has the advantage, you're wrong. Random warlock punches are just an invitation for ICs to grab you, which means you're getting infinited.

Don't warlock punch in this match-up... period.

Also, ICs win in other match-ups, against much higher tired characters, for example DDD.

Hive

Smash Lord
@Iarby- I disagree, I think placings in major tourneys (and even mid level tourneys) in diverse and competitive areas are VERY indicative of tier listings, especially now that the metagames are starting to even out. I would even hazard that these tourney placings are the main logic behind the tier lists as they are today.
And yes, the ICs have been able to place in top ten in major tourneys relatively well. example michael hey at wcsl (7th). That's not to say that ICs are the best characters out there or ahead of some of the biggest characters, but if you look at an average of how well ics do in major tourneys compared to other characters you will see that they are above at least 1/2the rest of the cast.

Small tourneys and midlevel tourneys actually make ics potential look less rather than more in say ankoko's tourney
results, bc of the relative lack of good ics players around.

ICs are not low tier :/ seriously, the bad advantages ic face are nowhere as bad or as widespread as many of the low tiers have to face. why? bc their grabs are almost riskless. it may be hard for ics to land a single grab, but if ics can grab 1-2 for every 120% damage-ish the opponent hits them for they have an advantage. That's not to say ics don't have bad matchups. What i'm saying is that overall they aren't as bad as much of the cast. And I think that is what shows in tourney placings here on the west coast.

actual low tier characters like Samus or Ganondorf will never be able to replicate the successes that the ics have accomplished. when me and xyro got 33 in wcsl for example that was very impressive for a samus main to pull off. Getting 7th would have been godlike.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I love how you guys lack any sense of sarcasm/troll detecter.

Seriously, random warlock punches... guys, think <.<

cutter

Smash Champion
The IC infinites obviously should not be banned or even limited. They have proven not to break the game and ICs don't even come close to dominating tournaments.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Going by your logic, D3's infinites shouldn't be banned because "it's part of the metagame" (there are better legit reasons then that >_>) and MK's cape glitch shouldn't either because "it's part of the metagame".

Just wondering, when you say chaingrabs, do you mean infinites (I mean d3's not Ic's) as well?

-:bowser:Bowser King
MetaKnight's move is as you said it, a glitch. Chaingrabbing is a legitimate move and technique that many people use accordingly to help strengthen their gameplay.

Also, I'm starting to main/secondary Ice Climbers now, they have amazing grabs, and their overall gameplay just completely suits me. =D

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
MetaKnight's move is as you said it, a glitch. Chaingrabbing is a legitimate move and technique that many people use accordingly to help strengthen their gameplay.

Also, I'm starting to main/secondary Ice Climbers now, they have amazing grabs, and their overall gameplay just completely suits me. =D
Just pray that Nana treats you better than she treated me :urg:

.Marik

is a social misfit
Just pray that Nana treats you better than she treated me :urg:

Lol, I play as Nana. I use Black & White Ice Climbers.

I need a few more weeks to really get used to them, figure out their gameplay and moveset, learn AT's and strategies, and I'll be fine.

I'm never dropping Yoshi though. :yoshi:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Lol, I play as Nana. I use Black & White Ice Climbers.

I need a few more weeks to really get used to them, figure out their gameplay and moveset, learn AT's and strategies, and I'll be fine.

I'm never dropping Yoshi though. :yoshi:
I used black and white as well.
Whatever, you know what I mean. The slave climber does ******** things a lot. A whole lot.

championj

Smash Rookie
Chain grabbing shouldn't be banned at all. It takes some skill to pull it off. I have friends who compare it to spamming and it ticks me off because they don't know anything.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Chain grabbing is just part of brawl. It should not be banned. IC can 0-death u in a CG yes, but it takes forever to learn and nobody i know so far can do it perfectly everytime. Especially when there are people who gets out of grabs really fast. And with IC short grab range, its really ez to space ur attacks and avoid getting grabbed. If your going against somebody that can CG u. Just watch out for it and dont fall for any mind games and you will be ok.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225783

Apparently Pikachus have been CGing wrong until now lol.

the important CGs that have been confirmed true: MK 10-60%, Falco 20-100%

Weird ones: Snake 50-90% needs 7 times decayed dthrow, 30-90% on the ledge.

Important CGs that are being tested(And most likely true): Wolf 20-110%, Fox 0-99%, Ganondorf 0-90%, Falcon 0-110%, Charizard 0-80%, Shiek 0-99%

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Personally I believe that chaingrabs shouldn't be banned what so ever. Even though I deeply despise the DDD chaingrab, seriously that chaingrab is like nearly impossible to get out of. (No offense to DDD players)
Why would u want rto ban shield grabs anyway? I dont think they are cheap. You just have to be more careful

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
he said chain grabs NOT shield grabs.

Also, apparently Pikachu CGs DDD to 90% ;o

And its absolutely official that Pikachu CGs MK to 60% :D

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
he said chain grabs NOT shield grabs.

Also, apparently Pikachu CGs DDD to 90% ;o

And its absolutely official that Pikachu CGs MK to 60% :D
Wait... is that just with down throw? Why hasn't this been discovered, like... months and months ago? What am I missing here?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
this is just PLAIN dthrow being BUFFERED (Pikachus have never been buffering throws) to another dthrow.... seriously how everyone missed this for an ENTIRE YEAR is beyond me.

Smash Master
Maybe it's because the d-throw has to be fresh at 10% and nobody bothered starting from there until now. IDK, I'm just guessing.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
So, ill have a video of me going against a D3 player in crews(DewDaDash) and after getting in a doing a lil fancy combo, i make a mistake an get the D3 grab infinite on Luigi to 220+ then f throw to death...total of all my 3 stock.

Hmmm, I still dont understand why would you allow a character to have what? Five 100-0 match ups?

? Please, give me your best response, please do. Agree or disagree explain why is this still allowed.

Most tourneys in FL now ban this. But some don't.

Please don't say "Don't get grabbed"....Might as well forget DDD's grab game...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So, ill have a video of me going against a D3 player in crews(DewDaDash) and after getting in a doing a lil fancy combo, i make a mistake an get the D3 grab infinite on Luigi to 220+ then f throw to death...total of all my 3 stock.

Hmmm, I still dont understand why would you allow a character to have what? Five 100-0 match ups?

? Please, give me your best response, please do. Agree or disagree explain why is this still allowed.

Most tourneys in FL now ban this. But some don't.

Please don't say "Don't get grabbed"....Might as well forget DDD's grab game...
This very long and heated and repeating debate is your answer

PolMex23

Smash Champion
My reason is when the characters only advantage is a longer more efficient ranged attack, better grab range and ability to shield grab almost every physical move in the game against any character due to his weight directly leads to the ability to easily get your opponent into the only thing that makes the match up 100-0 really makes it a anomaly to me that is hasn't been banned yet.

The worst is Luigi is the only one on the list that doesn't get CG, only infinite.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
the problem is showing favoritism. This isn't universal. Sucks to main your character in the end :\
This basically. It's not like you can't CP a different character. Pick the ICs and CG D3 in revenge or Pikachu and do the samething.

It doesn't break the game, it heavily alters 5 out of who knows how many match-ups in this game. Too small to be banned, and it still is avoidable. Extremely hard to do so, but is still do able. Want to be gay about it? Pick Norfair, hit him with one fireball, then plank the rest of the match.

Top Bottom