• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Unless you are a moderator here stop making topics about chaingrabs. They come up way to often and the same things are always said.

So, use this topic to talk about any chaingrab. Post your opinions, post if you think they should be banned, limited, whatever. Every single chaingrab that any character has should be discussed either here or in the character forums.

If you find a New CG somehow feel free to make a new topic about it however. If it's not new I'm going to close it.

Discuss away!

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Chain grabs shouldn't be banned.
Anyone who says otherwise better give a good 15 page argument as to why.

Theres tons of ways to get around chain grabbing. And some characters are un-chain grabbable.

Edit: thanks for the sticky, btw.

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Personally I believe that chaingrabs shouldn't be banned what so ever. Even though I deeply despise the DDD chaingrab, seriously that chaingrab is like nearly impossible to get out of. (No offense to DDD players)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Blarg, Hylian, there are just waaaay too many stickies right now. I'm pretty sure this thread will get bumped enough as it is, so it doesn't need a sticky ^_^''

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Blarg, Hylian, there are just waaaay too many stickies right now. I'm pretty sure this thread will get bumped enough as it is, so it doesn't need a sticky ^_^''
Yeah I cringed when I stickied this. If it falls down and people start making CG threads again then I'm going to sticky it >_<. Also, we should look at the current stickies and see if any of them can be removed or perhaps we can make one topic with several stickies or something?

Not nessasry really but it's something worth looking into.

Edit: I just looked at the stickies and nothing really needs to be removed >_< lol.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yeah I cringed when I stickied this. If it falls down and people start making CG threads again then I'm going to sticky it >_<. Also, we should look at the current stickies and see if any of them can be removed or perhaps we can make one topic with several stickies or something?

Not nessasry really but it's something worth looking into.

Edit: I just looked at the stickies and nothing really needs to be removed >_< lol.
might I suggest adding it to one of the forums concerning rules?

i.e. Don't make threads on a subject already being discussed etc etc.

BentoBox

Smash Master
So... what is there to be discussed about the current CGs D:?

Peach can CG the spacies and a few others from 0 to 30%. **** is beastly!

:067:

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Hylian what's up with Samus in your sig?

On topic...(see this Hylian? DONT GIVE ME ANY POINTS)

The only CG that should be Banned is DDD's infinite.
Thats all
Any other CG that requires a wall to work infinitely is fine.
You dont see any good players running into Marth's Dtit infinite now do yous.

Also as a Falcon player i have no problem with ICs
I mean if you can beat a good diddy you can beat a good ICs

There's no quick matches against these two unless your impatient.
Says the Falcon Player

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I love the fact that if Sheik lands a grab on MK at 90%, she has a guaranteed kill with a grab release to DACUS.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bowser's Chain Grab on Meta Knight and others is the sexiest thing in the game, bar none.
Especially on the 2nd stage of caste Siege!!!

I love the fact that if Sheik lands a grab on MK at 90%, she has a guaranteed kill with a grab release to DACUS.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who actually has "faith" in grab release stuff. I tried to tell that the people on the MK boards. Needless to say, all pro-ban people objected saying BS like "MK won't get grabbed".

On Halberd it KOs way before that btw. It's a very good counterpick vs MK. It's even on that stage (Sheik gets murdered on other neutrals though)

Frown

poekmon
Official Chaingrabbing Thread?

I'll just post something random without replying to anything.

I love DDD's chaingrab and infinites since none of my friends know how to use him.

And he looks so happy while he uses it.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I think a list of chaingrab infinites in the OP would be great. Categorized using:

Not Chaingrab(CG): The opponent is able to free himself after 1 iteration of the chaingrab, or just one throw (taking little damage)
Examples: Mostly everything else

Temp Chaingrab: The opponent is able to free himself after several iterations of the chaingrab (taking considerable damage)
Examples: Falco's dthrow (you eventually are taken to the edge)

Lethal Chaingrab: The opponent cannot escape until he reaches a lethal percent (percents like 150%-300%)
Examples: Pikachu's dthrow on Fox (can lead to Up-Smash KO), or if we want to include it grab releases on Wario

True Infinite: The opponent cannot escape period. He might as well unplug his controller.
Examples: DDD's chaingrab against a wall, or certain characters like DK.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I dont have any new info to put here but i just wanna throw in the fact

that even though chain grabbing is gay and it pisses the hell outta me its still possible to get away from it and win a match thats why it shouldn't be banned....

DDD>DK - thats the only problem

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I dont have any new info to put here but i just wanna throw in the fact

that even though chain grabbing is gay and it pisses the hell outta me its still possible to get away from it and win a match thats why it shouldn't be banned....

DDD>DK - thats the only problem
What about all the others who are infinite'd by his CG?

TofuToph

Smash Journeyman
Hylian what's up with Samus in your sig?

On topic...(see this Hylian? DONT GIVE ME ANY POINTS)

The only CG that should be Banned is DDD's infinite.
Thats all
Any other CG that requires a wall to work infinitely is fine.
You dont see any good players running into Marth's Dtit infinite now do yous.

Also as a Falcon player i have no problem with ICs
I mean if you can beat a good diddy you can beat a good ICs

There's no quick matches against these two unless your impatient.
Says the Falcon Player
There can be quick matches against a Diddy if you use his bananas against him and work on keeping up with his banana nonsense, if you get me.

I wish I could delete this post it's so irrelevant haha.

And infinites should be banned because they make people who aren't as good as someone else win (I know the IC's grabs are considered difficult to do, they took me a few hours of practice for a few days and I got them down on almost every character, but that doesn't justify 0-death combos at all)...It's not smash brothers anymore when the round is you watching your character be thrown back and forth mercilessly and all you can do is hope that the other person will mess up.

But they're stuck around this long and will continue to stay as long as people prioritize being stubborn goons more than having fun. Blah this subject sucks!

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I wish R.O.B. had chaingrabs...

All he has is a situational grab-release to d-tilt follow-up on some characters at low percents. :(

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
You could try making a sticky with links to some of the 'stickied' threads so you don't have an immobile top half of the page. Keep active stickies with active discussion normal and others in the one thread.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, sorry SP this isn't bumping itself and I just closed another topic about chaingrabbing.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
16 Ice Climbers (14 top8, 8 top4, 8 top2, 1 win) - 152.8 - 14

If they were truly broken, they'd be at the top.
Ice climbers ARE beatable, contrary to popular belief.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Non-infinite CGs shouldn't be banned.
Super long CG's like Pika on Fox should be limited
Wall infintes shouldnt be banned, most walls are temporary
Super duper infinites like DDD though...

Rocann

Smash Lord
As an Olimar main, I don't have any problems with any crazy ridiculous chaingrabs.

Obviously standing infinites, grab or not, need to be banned.
Wall infinites are fine.
CGs that move across the stage are cool.

So we look at what I've said and we say, "Every chaingrab/attack in the game that allows a character to continuously rack damage indefinitely (for isn't that the main problem of a standing infinite?) and NON-SITUATIONALLY (walls are still OK) must be limited."

That is in my opinion the only way to keep the game from getting stale as far as character viability. Hell, we're already dealing with Meta Knight but that's a different argument for a different thread.

How such techniques are limited is up to people with more influence and experience than I will probably ever have.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Rocann... your signature is very, very, very, very, very, very, very disturbing.

My opinion is... ban DeDeDe's standing chaingrab. It's gay. It's easy. It's unbeatable. It can last almost forever.

Seriously. DK, Bowser and Luigi are characters with tourney potential. One DeDeDe with any sort of knowledge can kick them back home. I really don't see why anti-ban people don't want it banned.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah...IC chaingrab is TOOOOOOOO good. You never hear them as much because their CG is harder to master. But yeah, A good IC can take on almost anyone. You just need to put a lotof time into the character.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna reply to some of the arguments that GofG made in the thread he linked to here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192432

The first point was on ease of use. I think it's unimportant as he and Yuna are right that people will learn to do anything that is possible, but the second issue of impossibility of recovery is very important IMO. Even on many combos that are very solid, DI is influential. You need to follow and react to DI to best continue a combo. Or at the very least, on something like Falco's CG, you can DI and best avoid the spike or Usmash at the end, or whatever. On an infinite like DDD or ICs, it is literally equivalent to me not holding the controller. It becomes a one player game, where I might as well be eating Cheetos and checking out the match on the TV next to mine while I'm being infinited. And don't get me wrong, being punished for mistakes is a very important part of Smash, but it's unacceptable to the extent that you may as well not be holding your controller.

The example was brought up in the thread comparing getting grabbed and punished with DDD's infinite to getting your shield broken and getting hit with a Snake charge fsmash. These are different cases for several reasons. For one, the mistake leading to the infinite is less of a mistake, yet yields a greater punishment. Typically when we think of the punishment for shield breaks/missed rests, we think of the greatest punishments in the game, i.e., charge fsmashes, ridiculous combos/CGs, whatever the player can do. And yet, all of these things can be reacted to. In the case of Snake, you can DI the fsmash. Now I know it's insanely powerful, but it's better to DI it at low percent than put your controller down and watch it. And that's key. If you're getting infinited by DDD/ICs, you literally can do nothing.

The thread proceeded to bring up Sirlin's criteria for banning. It was argued that infinites fail his criteria of being "discrete," such as his example with camping for 2 minutes and 59 seconds if 3 minutes plus of camping is banned. But guess what, Brawl already has bans that fail to be discrete. It's called "stalling."

SBR ruleset said:
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
When the SBR released this ruleset, it decided that doing DDD's infinite past 300% is considered stalling, as opposed to a free kill. 300% was chosen because it was a percent that could certainly lead to a free kill as DDD (or whatever chaingrabber) deserved, yet was not unreasonably high. But if 300% is enough, isn't 299% enough? Couldn't we argue that DI isn't going to be enough to save a player at a mere 1% lower at 299? What about 290? 280? 250? And so on. The definition of stalling is not discrete. Why should a DDD or IC not just be allowed to win a match after one grab by stalling? And if we're concerned about time, we could just have the other player resign after the first grab to save the rest of the eight minutes.

The final issue is whether a ban is warranted. Infinites don't meet Sirlin's definitions of warranted, true. But he does have a brief section on things that warrant immediate banning:

Sirlin said:
Immediately Ban-worthy Glitches

There are some things so extreme that they can be banned without much testing. These include glitches that crash the game or have radical effects, such as blanking out the opponent’s entire screen, removing his characters, units, or resources from the game, and so forth. Glitches so extreme that they undeniably end or prevent gameplay are worthy of being banned. Likewise, so are glitches that are not equally available to all players. Some glitches in a two player game can only be performed by player 2. It is reasonable to ban such a tactic, even if it’s not overly powerful, just on the basis that all players do not have equal access to it.
Here, obviously he's referring to things that crash the game like he just mentioned, but infinites are preventing gameplay too. (EDIT: What I mean here is that I'm aware that it's not actually on the same scale as crashing the game, removing characters, etc. Sorry if that wasn't clear) While I am being infinited, I am not playing the game! While I'm being infinited, I'm as good as my 10 year old cousin who's as good as this keyboard that I am typing on.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Guys, Im working on something. Im going to try and make a thread on EVERY SINGLE CG IN THE GAME.

Just so you know...

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Against relatively fast falling characters (fox, falco, cpt. falcon, snake), Olimar's d-throw can be chained quite a bit before the damege just gets too high

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
infinite grabs shouldn't be banned. just dont get grabbed and youll be fine.
that's absolutely ridiculous

The question of banning it isn't based on the probablility of getting grabbed in the first place (which one CANNOT guarantee), the question is concerning after the infinite is initiated

Top Bottom