• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

Hive

Smash Lord
lol it looks like bowser's cheeing them on! ^^

We already have rules to limit stalling. Boom. Problem solved.
the stalling limit is pretty dumb :p i've never actually seen any ddd in match stall until that high in a match, and if he's against any of the characters that gets standing infinited I really don't even know when he'd use it... putting the other character down a stock is a lot safer tactic i think. the stalling rule is good i guess to prevent that abuse in theory though i guess, but really it doesn't limit ddds infinite use in the slightest irl. in my opinion the infinite should be limited bc it drives gameplay in an unwanted direction, and bc it takes out those 6 character's viability...

bobson

Smash Lord
EDIT: Nevermind. For some reason I thought this was the ISP thread.
I don't know, it looks... items-y.

Anyway, to salvage this post:
the stalling limit is pretty dumb :p i've never actually seen any ddd in match stall until that high in a match, and if he's against any of the characters that gets standing infinited I really don't even know when he'd use it... putting the other character down a stock is a lot safer tactic i think. the stalling rule is good i guess to prevent that abuse in theory though i guess, but really it doesn't limit ddds infinite use in the slightest irl. in my opinion the infinite should be limited bc it drives gameplay in an unwanted direction, and bc it takes out those 6 character's viability...
Well, the stalling rule was designed to stop stalling, not to limit the infinite's utility. In that, it's accomplishing its purpose.

stephon

Smash Rookie
who thinks the infinite fan is stupid?(not that i play with weapons but one of my friend does)
thats the same way i feel about CG's, it should be limited.....

.Marik

is a social misfit
Chaingrabbing shouldn't be banned, obviously.

They are part of the metagame, and a person's overall strategy. Why take that away and be a poor sport about it, when you can try to come up with a method to outperform it? And while doing that, your game will improve even further.

But, I can imagine lesser-skilled players want to take the easy way out.

mikekleman

Smash Cadet
can anyone help me with the ice climber's cg? i can barely get the timing correct for back throw and i have yet to get it more than once in a row. no matter how many times i try, i cant get the forward chain to work.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
can anyone help me with the ice climber's cg? i can barely get the timing correct for back throw and i have yet to get it more than once in a row. no matter how many times i try, i cant get the forward chain to work.
Try it more. It's mostly muscle memory. Nana does things six frames later than Popo, so keep that in mind with the timings.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Try it more. It's mostly muscle memory. Nana does things six frames later than Popo, so keep that in mind with the timings.
Naw when CGing I thought you don't have to deal with the 6 frames for her to react. She seems to react instantly to what you want her to do when she is desynched, either to shoot ice Blocks, Blizzard, or grab.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Naw when CGing I thought you don't have to deal with the 6 frames for her to react. She seems to react instantly to what you want her to do when she is desynched, either to shoot ice Blocks, Blizzard, or grab.
I see...well, I learned how to do it while synced, just because I didn't care.

I'm not particularly good at it, but I can do it okay.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Chaingrabbing shouldn't be banned, obviously.

They are part of the metagame, and a person's overall strategy. Why take that away and be a poor sport about it, when you can try to come up with a method to outperform it? And while doing that, your game will improve even further.

But, I can imagine lesser-skilled players want to take the easy way out.
Going by your logic, D3's infinites shouldn't be banned because "it's part of the metagame" (there are better legit reasons then that >_>) and MK's cape glitch shouldn't either because "it's part of the metagame".

Just wondering, when you say chaingrabs, do you mean infinites (I mean d3's not Ic's) as well?

-:bowser:Bowser King

K-Dog244

Smash Cadet
Ok, I have heard several people say "chain grabs are avoidale so they are fine" thats a load of crap. They are yes, but it is freakin hard. That with edge grabing is just a glitch that I bet the makers did not intend to leave. No offense Barge since you favor chain grabing, but I think anyone who does is a pathetic noob who needs to cheat to help them win. This as well as spaming scream: I suck and need a advantage to win. You might as well just hack if you care that much. So get a life and grow a sack. :)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The developers know that D3 had a chaingrab before the game came out. They left it in. They are not glitches. They are a part of the game. They are in all three games, and always will be in Smash Bros.

Grow up.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
...and your proof?
Japanese demo players discovered it on the first day the demo was playable.

Either the developers were really stupid and didnt notice something that obvious, or it was intentional.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
King Dedede's Down Throw CG was indeed seen by demo players as soon as it was available. The only things I don't think were foreseen were:

Gay Combos on Fox
King Dedede's Infinite (They most likely tried it on Bowser and said "Hey look he's out of range")
Grab releases except for Ness, Lucas and Bowser.

Everything else just reeks of being intentional. You don't add an extra 10 frames to someone's grab release animation and say "Oh, nobody'll notice it."

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Why else would sakurai give ice climbers the worst grab range in the game if he didnt know that they could do a million things with their grabs.
He obviously took time to analyze them in melee. Perhaps he even intended ice climbers chain grabs.
In melee you could do the alt grabs, only like once or twice though, because nana had even retardeder AI back then and would do a random throw when ever she grabbed.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Squirtle Combo

Uthrow to an aerial to anothe aerial

Anyways,Cg's are legal because you are supposed to be able to space them.

Gindler

Smash Champion
An MK shouldn't get grabbed though. Unless his opponent is olimar...
Or yoshi, I actually grab MKs from time to time :lick:

King Dedede's Down Throw CG was indeed seen by demo players as soon as it was available. The only things I don't think were foreseen were:

Gay Combos on Fox
King Dedede's Infinite (They most likely tried it on Bowser and said "Hey look he's out of range")
Grab releases except for Ness, Lucas and Bowser.

Everything else just reeks of being intentional. You don't add an extra 10 frames to someone's grab release animation and say "Oh, nobody'll notice it."
Yeah, poor fox got the shank on that deal

Squirtle Combo

Uthrow to an aerial to anothe aerial

Anyways,Cg's are legal because you are supposed to be able to space them.
Squirtle gets gayed from CGs too though, poor lil' guy

IrArby

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure CGs weren't intentional. CGs are competetive and that seems to be one of the biggest things the designers worked towards (getting rid of it).

Instead of getting rid of CGs that people found in the early demos they focused on getting rid of wavedashing, l-canceling, and later little things like dashdancing and crouch canceling. They delayed the release over and over to get rid of stuff like that. In the process of getting rid of the the universal depth enhancing techs they ignored ones that work for a few characters and screw a few other characters.

Not knocking CGs here as they still enhance the metagame but not nearly to the extent that crouch canceling, dash dancing, etc did.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
what do you guys think of the chain grab Marth has on Fox? for those who don't know is: fthrow>fthrow>dthrow>dthrow>fmash.
If that works, then, good for Marth. Too bad the throws don't do more damage, and that that has to be at 0% only.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ooh! Disk is pretty good!

Are the dthrows possible to DI out of? Maybe the Fox didn't expect it and DI'd improperly..

Rog~er

Smash Apprentice

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
It might help if you post a list of chain grabs in this theard

Niko_K

Smash Master
The attitude of all IC mains is what is hindering the communities ability to see exactly why the IC Alternate Grabs are broken in theory.

I'd like to use my conversation with swordgard as an example, this was nearing the end of our debate.

There is no truth, only a perspective. We must transcend the illusion, breaking the barricade of infinite cognizance says:
grabs are inevitable
Swordgard von karma/ Back to canada! says:
indeed, but so are blizzards
grabs are evitable, but from both side
There is no truth, only a perspective. We must transcend the illusion, breaking the barricade of infinite cognizance says:
you just proved my point
look, heres my point
I know your point
its really good, but it can be undone
as much as it can be undone, can it be attained
from both ways, ics have counters agaisnt counters
its the same thing
but the other does too
exactly
thats why
at even level play
IC will inevitably get a grab
as long as he uses the oppurtunity
they will lose a stock to a grab given there is no human error
at even level of play, ics require much more micromanagement
thats because there are characters higher on the tier list
and wait, is hobbling the dtrow to footstool?
to block reset
oh lol, that only works on like half the cast
its still banned regardless
ftrow to footstool is slow :S
i dont like it XD
its inescapable :-O, therefore its banned
yes, but its slow enough to be grab broken, reflex got out of a grab at 56% insta grab break vs ally if you cant do it, its just another set of skills :p
especially since you get multiple tries
so as much pre reqs as you need to infinite, there are the same amount to avoid the infinite,
thus its even playing field and thus grabs leading to infinites will happen
and thats why it should be banned
want the truth? ics ARE broken, but not at the level lain plays them :p
I know that, I dont use lain as the end all be all
why do you think i play them lol
thats why you defend them a lot too
yeah lol
XD
i know very well that they are
but shh :p
Its just that, be honset, grabbing in brawl is one of the most risk free things to do
is way too easy XD

Top Bottom