• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
GG's Zatch. Best Ike I have played. Your jab and nair counter everything I throw at you. Any tips?

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good games Metal. I don't know why wifi kept giving me jumps in response to my upward shield DI. You have a nice assortment of characters, especially Marth and Lucario. Some of your SDs were rather hard to watch, though.

Edit: Thanks. As for tips, any character in specific? I noticed you had a general spot dodging habit, so I'd obviously recommend trying to curb that. :applejack:

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Good games Metal. I don't know why wifi kept giving me jumps in response to my upward shield DI. You have a nice assortment of characters, especially Marth and Lucario. Some of your SDs were rather hard to watch, though.

Edit: Thanks. As for tips, any character in specific? I noticed you had a general spot dodging habit, so I'd obviously recommend trying to curb that. :applejack:
Yeah I tend to SD a lot when I'm up against an overpowering opponent. I just want tips on edge guarding and getting back to the stage vs Ike. Also I want to know what I'm doing wrong as Marth. My playstyle with him is getting worse and I don't know why.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Anybody want to play?
Sorry, I'm not that good at Brawl, you're way way way better. So I just kinda lost the will to fight after all those chain grabs and stuff. GGs! Let's try fighting again in Smash 4! I'll be better than ya there muahaha

Last edited:

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Sorry, I'm not that good at Brawl, you're way way way better. So I just kinda lost the will to fight after all those chain grabs and stuff. GGs! Let's try fighting again in Smash 4! I'll be better than ya there muahaha
GGs Sonsa you don't have to apologize lol. All this is just a learning process that we should simply enjoy. Surprised that we played with 4 stocks not that I mind.

I'm sorry for any of that lag I mean it did bother some stuff I'm sure. We'll see about that if we ever play each other in smash 4 hahaha no mercy!!!

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I just want tips on edge guarding and getting back to the stage vs Ike.
Edgeguarding Ike is rather simple. If he's closer to a diagonal-up blast zone, it's usually a safe bet to challenge him by trying to bait an airdodge or an f-air/d-air. If he is sent backwards, he's generally going to airdodge unless the Ike player is smart and fast-falls a u-air after momentum cancelling. Overall, once he's at or below stage level, his recovery becomes predictable and can be interrupted or edgehogged, depending on close Ike is to the ledge when he starts Aether. Marth can land tippered punishes on Ike's Aether given the right circumstances, and can Counter/Dolphin Slash in just about any other instance. A smart Ike is going to mainly use Aether to recover rather than Quickdraw unless the situation is too intimidating to recover low. If they use Quickdraw from far out to make it back, you have the option of either edgehogging or airdodging it after he releases it just soon enough for the hitbox for it to come out and not damage you while Ike falls to his doom early. I wouldn't suggest trying to attack him out of it if he's using it to go over the ledge rather than straight to it, unless you have a powerful punish option. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it to try capitalizing with anything other than a grab or gimp setup, like Marth's d-tilt. :applejack:

As for getting back onstage, the last thing you want to do against an Ike is get predictable. He has a boatload of options to punish you with if he foresees the use of any of your ledge options, and the worst things you can usually do are ledgehop and ledgeroll. Eruption deals with ledgehops quite reliably, while upsmash can counter standard get-up, ledge rolling, ledge jumps, and (to some extent) ledgehops, if timed appropriately. The worst thing you can do is sit there while your frames are gone, though. Once your frames are gone, either stall with up+b (don't just empty ledgehop -> regrab since that leaves you insanely open) or go for your ledge recovery tactic. With Marth, if Ike is too close to the ledge, you can ledge release and f-air immediately to hit him while he's onstage. If it connects, you have uncontested room to recover from the ledge. If it doesn't, or hits a shield, you're not in a bad position. If he grabs the ledge after you drop and f-air, you can stall with dancing blade after your second jump with the first hit to get a small pop, then you can recover and stage spike him/put him in a terrible position if he stays on the ledge for the duration of that. If he's above 100%, and gets up from the ledge, you should go over it. At this point, he can only really jab or grab to punish you for going over the ledge. Second, you can drop from the ledge while using the first hit of dancing blade in the opposite direction to jump and b-air to hit through the stage, just like with f-air but with a better likelihood of getting tipper and better knockback. If you're on the ledge and Ike is a little too far away for you to hit with ledgedrop -> simultaneous f-air, then ledgehop a n-air or f-air and retreat back to the ledge. If it hits, you can get back onstage fine. If it doesn't or hits his shield, your retreat back to the ledge resets the encounter.

Also I want to know what I'm doing wrong as Marth.
Well, the biggest thing I noticed was that you like to finish your dancing blade against shields. While I personally found it annoying, because I like to punish people who cancel their dancing blades as they should most often when it is hitting a shield (or slow the rhythm down and end it with the multi-stab to do as much shield damage as possible and likely earn a poke), it is a very bad habit to blindly use dancing blade. When you see your dancing blade hitting a shield, which should be easily noticed after the first, second, or third hits, you should either stop and go for a jab/aerial, or grab, depending on how close they are. Much less often, if you're going to do it at all, finish the combo with the multi-stab, when you're attacking shields. When you've done your shield damage with that, combined with slowing down the tempo of your hits (to allow their shields to deteriorate at their own rate), the potential shield damage is immense. Most people would opt to dodge when their shields are as low as this strategy can get them to, and the multi-stab counters sidesteps. Use that to finish the dancing blade combo when you're feeling tentative about finishing with any other strike of it, especially. Whithering their shield down with this also makes it that much easier to land a shield break with shield breaker, even uncharged.

Next, space your f-airs by retreating the second one if you're using short-hopped double f-air, or retreat at the apex of the short hop if you're using short-hopped single f-air. Also retreat your n-airs if you throw them out upon short hopping, and try to just stay outside of jabbing range if you're going to use it later on in the short hop (although this pretty much happens anyway if Ike shields it, since the n-air pushes his shield too far back if he's just standing there. If the Ike is shield dashing, don't use n-air as much, and try to stick with f-air and your tilts to keep him out. Dodge his slow and predictable f-air to get it and land d-tilt, jab, Dolphin Slash (to kill), or Counter if you see a jab coming, which is very common for Ike to do after f-air if the enemy is close since its his fastest option for punishment and stopping ground approaches.

Also try not to ever feel pressured to sidestep when the enemy is behind you. Your dancing blade is fram 5 (?) on the first hit and can stop most grounded punishes/approach options dead in their tracks. Also learn how to turn around your ground attacks. Turnaround jab is INCREDIBLE for most characters to use, and I'm positive Marth's turnaround tilts are also useful. To practice, go into training mode, spotdodge, then buffer a turnaround by lightly tilting in the direction opposite of the one your facing and let go before the spotdodge is complete. Your character should just turn around when the spotdodge is done. Next, try doing this again, but press the input for jab shortly after you let go of the control stick. Your character should jab in the other direction immediately after the spotdodge with no clear turnaround animation. You can do this with tilts too, but it can be trickier, especially with turnaround u-tilt and d-tilt. But it's very useful and I'm sure you'll see yourself doing better once you incorporate turnaround attacks into your game in lieu of dodging so often.

Sorry for taking so long, my friends wanted me to do something earlier. :applejack:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Edgeguarding Ike is rather simple. If he's closer to a diagonal-up blast zone, it's usually a safe bet to challenge him by trying to bait an airdodge or an f-air/d-air. If he is sent backwards, he's generally going to airdodge unless the Ike player is smart and fast-falls a u-air after momentum cancelling. Overall, once he's at or below stage level, his recovery becomes predictable and can be interrupted or edgehogged, depending on close Ike is to the ledge when he starts Aether. Marth can land tippered punishes on Ike's Aether given the right circumstances, and can Counter/Dolphin Slash in just about any other instance. A smart Ike is going to mainly use Aether to recover rather than Quickdraw unless the situation is too intimidating to recover low. If they use Quickdraw from far out to make it back, you have the option of either edgehogging or airdodging it after he releases it just soon enough for the hitbox for it to come out and not damage you while Ike falls to his doom early. I wouldn't suggest trying to attack him out of it if he's using it to go over the ledge rather than straight to it, unless you have a powerful punish option. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it to try capitalizing with anything other than a grab or gimp setup, like Marth's d-tilt. :applejack:

As for getting back onstage, the last thing you want to do against an Ike is get predictable. He has a boatload of options to punish you with if he foresees the use of any of your ledge options, and the worst things you can usually do are ledgehop and ledgeroll. Eruption deals with ledgehops quite reliably, while upsmash can counter standard get-up, ledge rolling, ledge jumps, and (to some extent) ledgehops, if timed appropriately. The worst thing you can do is sit there while your frames are gone, though. Once your frames are gone, either stall with up+b (don't just empty ledgehop -> regrab since that leaves you insanely open) or go for your ledge recovery tactic. With Marth, if Ike is too close to the ledge, you can ledge release and f-air immediately to hit him while he's onstage. If it connects, you have uncontested room to recover from the ledge. If it doesn't, or hits a shield, you're not in a bad position. If he grabs the ledge after you drop and f-air, you can stall with dancing blade after your second jump with the first hit to get a small pop, then you can recover and stage spike him/put him in a terrible position if he stays on the ledge for the duration of that. If he's above 100%, and gets up from the ledge, you should go over it. At this point, he can only really jab or grab to punish you for going over the ledge. Second, you can drop from the ledge while using the first hit of dancing blade in the opposite direction to jump and b-air to hit through the stage, just like with f-air but with a better likelihood of getting tipper and better knockback. If you're on the ledge and Ike is a little too far away for you to hit with ledgedrop -> simultaneous f-air, then ledgehop a n-air or f-air and retreat back to the ledge. If it hits, you can get back onstage fine. If it doesn't or hits his shield, your retreat back to the ledge resets the encounter.

Well, the biggest thing I noticed was that you like to finish your dancing blade against shields. While I personally found it annoying, because I like to punish people who cancel their dancing blades as they should most often when it is hitting a shield (or slow the rhythm down and end it with the multi-stab to do as much shield damage as possible and likely earn a poke), it is a very bad habit to blindly use dancing blade. When you see your dancing blade hitting a shield, which should be easily noticed after the first, second, or third hits, you should either stop and go for a jab/aerial, or grab, depending on how close they are. Much less often, if you're going to do it at all, finish the combo with the multi-stab, when you're attacking shields. When you've done your shield damage with that, combined with slowing down the tempo of your hits (to allow their shields to deteriorate at their own rate), the potential shield damage is immense. Most people would opt to dodge when their shields are as low as this strategy can get them to, and the multi-stab counters sidesteps. Use that to finish the dancing blade combo when you're feeling tentative about finishing with any other strike of it, especially. Whithering their shield down with this also makes it that much easier to land a shield break with shield breaker, even uncharged.

Next, space your f-airs by retreating the second one if you're using short-hopped double f-air, or retreat at the apex of the short hop if you're using short-hopped single f-air. Also retreat your n-airs if you throw them out upon short hopping, and try to just stay outside of jabbing range if you're going to use it later on in the short hop (although this pretty much happens anyway if Ike shields it, since the n-air pushes his shield too far back if he's just standing there. If the Ike is shield dashing, don't use n-air as much, and try to stick with f-air and your tilts to keep him out. Dodge his slow and predictable f-air to get it and land d-tilt, jab, Dolphin Slash (to kill), or Counter if you see a jab coming, which is very common for Ike to do after f-air if the enemy is close since its his fastest option for punishment and stopping ground approaches.

Also try not to ever feel pressured to sidestep when the enemy is behind you. Your dancing blade is fram 5 (?) on the first hit and can stop most grounded punishes/approach options dead in their tracks. Also learn how to turn around your ground attacks. Turnaround jab is INCREDIBLE for most characters to use, and I'm positive Marth's turnaround tilts are also useful. To practice, go into training mode, spotdodge, then buffer a turnaround by lightly tilting in the direction opposite of the one your facing and let go before the spotdodge is complete. Your character should just turn around when the spotdodge is done. Next, try doing this again, but press the input for jab shortly after you let go of the control stick. Your character should jab in the other direction immediately after the spotdodge with no clear turnaround animation. You can do this with tilts too, but it can be trickier, especially with turnaround u-tilt and d-tilt. But it's very useful and I'm sure you'll see yourself doing better once you incorporate turnaround attacks into your game in lieu of dodging so often.

Sorry for taking so long, my friends wanted me to do something earlier. :applejack:
Wow. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll practice it all as soon as I play again.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Hope everyone is having a good "easter"

who wants to play brawl a while?
Really good Yoshi and Diddy. I feel like yours is better than mine. I got lucky on that Pit vs Diddy match lol. Dang you're like all over the place. Really good Yoshi. Man that Snake was unklllable. 200%+ and no kill... Dang. Fun games. GG's

Anyone else want to play?

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Really good Yoshi and Diddy. I feel like yours is better than mine. I got lucky on that Pit vs Diddy match lol. Dang you're like all over the place. Really good Yoshi. Man that Snake was unklllable. 200%+ and no kill... Dang. Fun games. GG's

Anyone else want to play?
Hey thanks haha. I dont know if my Diddy is any better than yours, I just think we play a little differently. It's strange but I think I play best with Diddy having only one banana, and I use plenty of bair. Honestly I was pretty afraid of you spiking me.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I can if you'd like. :applejack:
I tried tilts but my problem was that I spammed them until they hit. Your Ike is really on another level. You had some crazy kills. I want to see these match-ups again in Smash 4. I lol'd at Zelda. I figured I'd end with her and get blasted but I did better than I thought so I tried again. Shoot you had some good reads too. Just holding F-smash opposite of the ledge for so long. Must have been satisfying. No joke you have good reads (or I'm predictable) I guess I think that people don't normally roll from the ledge at over 100 percent so I'll do it to change things up. Looks like it got stale quick. I decided to abandon bananas at one point because they never help me when I play against you. You are really good at getting them from me and using them against me. I figured that I don't like getting zero to death'd so I stopped using bananas lol. Maybe I should stick to Diddy basics for a while then move on to bananas when I'm good without them. Good games.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Fun games Chreest. That last offstage battle was hilarious. I didn't think I'd get that final Aethercide.

I really hope you don't take those games as any indication of you getting any worse or not improving, I've just been really tacking on the practice with Ike the past few nights, going almost nobody else. I'm getting a better feel for him as a character, which I have apparently lacked over the years because even though he was my main, I never really brought him out much unless someone asked. Now I'm giving the fact that he's my main some actual foundation.

Anyway, yeah, you have improved, especially with Falco. I loved some of your laser and jab mixups, but you didn't use any such mixups very often. I recall a SHSL -> jab 1 + 2 -> u-smash during our first few games, instantly gave me a boner, even though the u-smash got shielded. Keep up the work on your aerial game, too. Try to use phantasm to grab the ledge more often than you overshoot the ledge, unless the opponent is standing dangerously close to the ledge looking like they might attempt an edgehog. In which case, Fire Bird works by stalling you in the air for a bit so you can see what your opponent does, then choose to go for the ledge or shoot over it depending on what the situation is. Make sure you start Fire Bird just above ledge level, though, so you can angle it down and towards the ledge if they go for an attack (thinking you're going to phantasm), or you can just go onto the stage with the momentum from Fire Bird carrying you onto the stage, should they grab the ledge. Just a recovery mixup option to keep you from getting punished as often for using mainly phantasm.

As for Diddy, you went no-bananas an awful lot. I like how you're using tilts and stuff more, but bananas are a pretty vital piece to Diddy's metagame, and are part of what make him such a strong and effective character. Use them more in combination with your tilts and stuff, just remember to keep control of them. Have one in hand at almost any given time, and at least one out at any given time. :applejack:

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Fun games Chreest. That last offstage battle was hilarious. I didn't think I'd get that final Aethercide.

I really hope you don't take those games as any indication of you getting any worse or not improving, I've just been really tacking on the practice with Ike the past few nights, going almost nobody else. I'm getting a better feel for him as a character, which I have apparently lacked over the years because even though he was my main, I never really brought him out much unless someone asked. Now I'm giving the fact that he's my main some actual foundation.

Anyway, yeah, you have improved, especially with Falco. I loved some of your laser and jab mixups, but you didn't use any such mixups very often. I recall a SHSL -> jab 1 + 2 -> u-smash during our first few games, instantly gave me a boner, even though the u-smash got shielded. Keep up the work on your aerial game, too. Try to use phantasm to grab the ledge more often than you overshoot the ledge, unless the opponent is standing dangerously close to the ledge looking like they might attempt an edgehog. In which case, Fire Bird works by stalling you in the air for a bit so you can see what your opponent does, then choose to go for the ledge or shoot over it depending on what the situation is. Make sure you start Fire Bird just above ledge level, though, so you can angle it down and towards the ledge if they go for an attack (thinking you're going to phantasm), or you can just go onto the stage with the momentum from Fire Bird carrying you onto the stage, should they grab the ledge. Just a recovery mixup option to keep you from getting punished as often for using mainly phantasm.

As for Diddy, you went no-bananas an awful lot. I like how you're using tilts and stuff more, but bananas are a pretty vital piece to Diddy's metagame, and are part of what make him such a strong and effective character. Use them more in combination with your tilts and stuff, just remember to keep control of them. Have one in hand at almost any given time, and at least one out at any given time. :applejack:

Thanks.

Yea the 3 times I FireBird I go through the platform or get grabbed lol. I always up smash after down throw because I'm trying to practice BDACUSing out of it. I'll get it like 1/10 times though... Me missing the ledge on phantasms is me messing up the timing. I've got to play as Diddy more against people and get practice in. I'll normally try one if my lesser characters against other people and bring out Diddy towards the end. Thanks for all this help and practice!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Thanks.

Yea the 3 times I FireBird I go through the platform or get grabbed lol. I always up smash after down throw because I'm trying to practice BDACUSing out of it. I'll get it like 1/10 times though... Me missing the ledge on phantasms is me messing up the timing. I've got to play as Diddy more against people and get practice in. I'll normally try one if my lesser characters against other people and bring out Diddy towards the end. Thanks for all this help and practice!
PS1's ledge is just not space animal-friendly. Going straight to the ledge from the left or right will put you under it, and if it is possible to grab it mid phantasm, it's hard to do consistently, at least by what I've seen. If you're going to use Fire Bird to grab it, try to make sure you're going down, up, or any diagonal. Also, when you're getting near the ledge with the CG as Falco, and they are still at a percent where you can still get a guaranteed regrab, boost pivot grab to keep it going rather than just choosing to end it with anything else. The extra damage you tack on can really make a difference. As for practicing BDACUS out of down throw, do that in training mode first. Once you get consistent with that, the timing for it is exactly the same after you initiate the down throw provided you're playing in a solid, straightforward connection, which we very usually have during our games. And use your other throws more when you get a grab at non-CG percents. D-throw sets up stuff quite well a little after those percents, but it does get stale if it's the only throw you use. Combined with pummels, your other throws can do decent damage too, like u-throw or b-throw. They both can also set up aerial chases better than d-throw, and you can psuedo-CG with u-throw if you bait an airdodge landing and boost pivot grab to punish.

And no problem, mate. Glad to help. :applejack:

Stick_man

Smash Rookie
lol didn't refreash the page and didn't see your post but yeah i'll play
GGs . I don't think you play marth a lot, but don't do so much dancing blade on shield. Don't use it for anything other than a punish in the ICs match up (use it sparingly here too.) The main way that move is punished is getting grabbed, and one grab by ICs when not online = 1 stock.

Last edited:

Reck

Smash Rookie
NNID
GGs . I don't think you play marth a lot but don't do so much dancing blade on shield. Don't use it for anything other than a punish in the ICs match up (use it sparingly here too.) The main way that move is punished is getting grabbed, and one grab by ICs when not online = 1 stock.
no im not good with marth at all but i like marth a lot. i main lucario and sometimes use fun characters like bowser and falco. was fun playing with you thanks for the experiance.

Last edited:

IKEkameHAMEha

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5300-8881-3567
FAIRY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING
hikari zenbu atsumete kimi no a****a terasu yo
OH YEAH kikoeten no kako no koe wa?
OH YEAH karetatte sakebu kara
OH YEAH kikoeru made kimi no kokoro ga
OH YEAH OH YEAH

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yo,rage,ready to play when you are,or anyone else
GG's. I was getting frustrated as Diddy. Those first few matches I died at low percents and I lost because of it. I really need to watch out for Flamethrower and Rock Smash. I need to practice more with him. The more I play this game the more I hate that there aren't any combos. [insert high hopes for Smash 4 here] I just can't get past that Marth consistently (the tips get me every time). Those matches were pretty fun though. Try to buffer the chain grab with Falco so you can follow up faster. Theres a good Falco player named Larry. I suggest looking him up. I need to go practice with Diddy a bit more. He's really complex. I don't really like item characters. (lol at irony :diddy::toonlink::zerosuitsamus:) Its more of a play-style thing. I love being offensive and item characters need to be far away. We don't have to pick Smashville every time lol. It seems that when I didn't pick it then I won. I guess thats why:smashville: is you're favorite stage (I'm assuming). Well we have less than a month left... Lets play again sometime.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Sweet games captain. Gosh,I've been fighting you so much lately,lol.

Wow,i'm quite shocked to hear that actually and even more shocked that you hate playing item characters.I appreciate the honesty though,from the words of it,you sound like a melee player.

Still,Kudos to you for consistently being your mains for a longer duration of time even though it irritated you some.you did a good job baiting me on those banana set ups. Diddy has all the tools he needs to combat charizard,you just need to camp more with him though I know how you feel about that already. :(

Yeah,Smashville is just the stage I feel most accustomed to fighting on,same with battlefield field and final destination,I'm suffer in the other stages XD.Also,favorite stage happens to be lylat due to the awesome music being played on there.

Thanks for the falco tips and the suggestions.Looking forward to more brawls with you before d-day. ^^

Top Bottom