• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

busken

Smash Ace
Probably don't time it correctly, its not like Bair where it doesn't matter if you land the 1st or 2nd hit.

What you really want for edgeguarding is the final hit anyway.
When I first looked at your sig, I thought it was a cartoon of a girl with blonde hair and her mouth open very wide. When I saw the full image just now, I'm in shock.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
My biggest complaint for tournament mode is the time limit. The three minute time limit promotes camping. It also really sucks when you have to wait 20+ minutes just to join a tournament because all other tournaments are full. Other than that, Tournament mode is really fun.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Can we upload our battles to YT now? Sorry if typing is bad at work on my phone.

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
Other than that, Tournament mode is really fun.
Are you kidding me? It's horrible. It would have been fun if they let you create your own 1v1/Bracket tournaments but Nintendo decided to restrict you from creating your own 1v1/Bracket tournaments and decided that only they can create 1v1/Bracket tournaments with terrible rules. They have the work done for 1v1/Bracket tournaments but for some reason you can't create your own.

Also, busken, you can only upload replays up to 3 minutes long.

Last edited:

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
Luigi really doesn't need to be able to Dthrow > Fair > Fair> Dthrow > Uair > Uair for 50 percent.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Luigi really doesn't need to be able to Dthrow > Fair > Fair> Dthrow > Uair > Uair for 50 percent.
Honestly down throw fair fair doesn't seem to work as well as it did before. I was doing it in training and it feels like there is too little hitstun or knockback for the second fair to connect so people just kind of, fall out of it

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Essam called that bs out, people are going into training mode for combo's. In training nothing stales, its the worse way to practice uair combo's for example IMO.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Remember pre patch where u dash grab someone near the ledge and when u pummel it misses? Well now the problems gone our signature dash grab slide that forces people off stage is back for both mk and falcon, I didn't realize it was taken out pre patch but its back.Now we can once again force people off stage and use dair or nair (preferably dair as its 3 frames faster).

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Amiibos is a horrible idea since even without feeding them equipment they naturally gain better stats in both defense and offense. They also have the same irritating issues level 9 ai have once leveled up and since you can't choose their level, they're less flexible than normal ai. Cpus is a decent enough idea, level 9s let you find out what is and isn't a true combo since they dodge nearly everything while low level ai let you practice strings and such but they aren't as reliable as an actual person.

busken

Smash Ace
Man practicing is hard work, thats enough for today. I will start again tomorrow.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Amiibos is a horrible idea since even without feeding them equipment they naturally gain better stats in both defense and offense. They also have the same irritating issues level 9 ai have once leveled up and since you can't choose their level, they're less flexible than normal ai. Cpus is a decent enough idea, level 9s let you find out what is and isn't a true combo since they dodge nearly everything while low level ai let you practice strings and such but they aren't as reliable as an actual person.
both are better options than training mode for combos. i have an amiibo that I taught to dodge really well and roll a buttload and he helps me work on tech punishes.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
both are better options than training mode for combos. i have an amiibo that I taught to dodge really well and roll a buttload and he helps me work on tech punishes.
Huh, teaching an amiibo to do specific things for training purposes. Sounds tedious but rewarding to a point. Only problem I see is in the case you gave, your followups from said punishes won't be true most of the time due to the added defense but it sounds more reliable for just tech punishes than anything a normal ai could provide.

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
There really isn't a good way to practice
Essam called that bs out, people are going into training mode for combo's. In training nothing stales, its the worse way to practice uair combo's for example IMO.
Can you send me a link to where Essam said this I'd like to know what's wrong with practicing mode combos.

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Best practice is always against other people, but hey if you're like me that doesn't really know anyone near by, it kinda just leaves computers and randoms.
Computers don't really help much since they all play the same, become predictable/exploitable, or just enraging at how annoying the level 9 input-reading-stupidity is. (I play on 8 or even 7 when I'm bored enough to play them because of this)

Also damn, I was really hoping for tournament mode creator to be more flexible, really disappointed with the lack of options, but I'll stay optimistic if enough Japanese players complain about it (feels like they seem to control most of the the patches) for 1.1.x, so it really just leaves randoms on glory for the most part.
(Unless you guys enjoy fighting at 170-350 ms, then by all means send a request :p)

On the plus side, now I might have to look into that Youtube account I made years ago and will finally be able to get some criticism, but is the limit strictly 3 mins, Like on this dot?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
what's the best way if you only have one player?
Believe it or not, FG is a good option if you don't have people to practice with offline. Regardless of how good they're everyone can DI, they may not know how it works but thigs like DIing left or right is easy to do.

On FG whenever i fight a fast faller, i get them to 20-27% usually by DA to nado then DA --> Uair --> FF Nair ---> Chase them --> DA(if i know they'll throw out an aerial i shield grab or DA after shield drop) --> Uair --> ?

Not a true combo but a viable string and MK gains so much momentum off it, then i do this offline and boom im getting +30% of a sick ass string and then oops they're off stage more momentum for me.

I advice adding players on FG if they're around your skill level + good connection, if you forget go to add them go to your friends list and you should have the ability to find users you played previously. If you do that often, eventually you'll have a Friends list filled with solid players with good connection and if they're all online just make a lobby and wait for them to join and you can play on other stages/3 stocks ect.

On the plus side, now I might have to look into that Youtube account I made years ago and will finally be able to get some criticism, but is the limit strictly 3 mins, Like on this dot?
I'd like to know this too, seems stupid to have a 3min limit. But this is Sakurai were dealing with.

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Do you guys think that any of the recent buffs to other characters have changed our match ups?

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
DK and Robin MU aren't free anymore (my opinion). Robin has down throw up air (with levin sword, this ****s ridiculous) on everyone now while DK has Cargo Up throw Up air now. (For Dk, its hard af to get on floaty characters). They prolly kill us at ridiculously low percents because of our bad weight. For robin, its balanced because his mobility still sucks. DK having this strong of a kill setup is kinda suspect though because he has great mobility. I think it will be okay because he is combo food the character. Nice patch overall. (no sheik nerfs tho....) Don't get grabbed basically.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Heyo MK mains, i haven't been there before but i actually main MK since Day 1 because he's quite the enjoyable character to me, either way, i hope we'll all get along & i'll be able to bring my knowledge on different MK Stuff & Matchups.

busken

Smash Ace
Heyo MK mains, i haven't been there before but i actually main MK since Day 1 because he's quite the enjoyable character to me, either way, i hope we'll all get along & i'll be able to bring my knowledge on different MK Stuff & Matchups.
Don't worry guys she's not a sheep. We discuss him from time to time. ;)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Not had much time to practice recently cause of lots of lab work, but am writing up my thesis now, and will be working from home a lot... Time to Smash :grin:

I aimed to start going to tourneys this summer but money problems (and being really busy) have held me back. I should land a job for September soon and I'll be moving somewhere different in the UK probably. Hoping to get consistent at combos and stuff with practice in the near future, and then make a splash in the scene wherever I move to as I'll have more money and free time. Watch this space bat bros, I'm pretty excited!!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I really need to work harder on my confirms/conversions, I keep playing this MK as in Brawl (Nado punishes included).

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Pretty sure all the sheeps are gone since MK got **** all this patch.

Like seriously what does the Utilt buff do????
they added hitboxes on the sides of it, can hit shorter characters that stand beside him now like pikachu or kirby

also as just a general buff, all of his swordtrails now match the hitboxes, so moves like dsmash don't whiff even though the swordtrails go through the opponent anymore.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sword trails being fixed should've been done ages ago, that's the dev team being lazy. This Utilt buff seems so small no one would've noticed if Katakiri didn't mention it.

We got nothing bruh, at least there's a high chance of a Dtilt buff since Ftilt,Jab,Utilt got buffed. They did Ftilt(kinda) and jab good but this Utilt buff is just...wow.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So the MK bandwagon already cooled off?
Ally used MK against ZeRo at Low Tier City 3 against ZeRo, so no. He actually came close to taking out ZeRo in game one of GF using MK. Also, the up tilt buff and sword trail fixes are stuff I really appreciate. Now if only his side special always put him in a free fall state when it's finished and MK's fair got a huge lag reduction buff.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
HOW DO WE IMPLEMENT THE UTILT BUFF INTO OUR PLAY????

I simply cannot grasp this buff. Utilt is a niche tool to demolish stuff above us and extend Uair combo's.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
We got nothing bruh
No we got something. What we got screwed me over. I couldn't Up-Air chain to save my life last night. I didn't realize until I was playing in-tourney how much I used the sword trails to measure Up-Air spacing and not MK's body itself. I quickly relearned but I was dropping everything last night. I still took 2nd overall and won the 1st set of Grands to not go out like a complete buster but man was I playing poorly. New Fox definitely threw me for a loop too. Their Jab "nerf" and Laser buff are really significant. We didn't give a damn about his jab pre-patch since we got pushed further and fell faster than most characters, allowing us to shield after 3-4 hits. But now Fox has Jab, Jab, Sweet-spot D-Tilt, into Up-Air. I feel like I have to say this every other patch now about someone but "don't get jabbed." The 3 frame lag reduction on his lasers actually means we can't punish it at a closer distance than we're used to thus they use it more often. I used to be really good a punishing Laser but I'm literally single digit frames off now.

HOW DO WE IMPLEMENT THE UTILT BUFF INTO OUR PLAY????

I simply cannot grasp this buff. Utilt is a niche tool to demolish stuff above us and extend Uair combo's.
You can use it to cover ledge get-up & ledge jump while reacting to ledge roll with Dash Attack. But it's main use imo is to punish Dash Attack & Dash Grabs out of our Spot-dodge. The buff makes it easier to hit characters like Pikachu or Kirby and it can clip Sheik's legs as she whiffs a Dash Grab in that lunging animation. It makes characters' size & animations matter less when punishing. If the character has a body part touching MK even if it's just their leg or tail, they get hit by Up-tilt now.

busken

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think Poyo also used MK at Xanadu when he was in pools. However, I think most top players who played him will quickly realize that you need to dedicate yourself t the character as you can't just space around normally with f-airs like most top tiers. Also, you get nothing for free either so your baiting needs to be on point.

D

Deleted member 189823

Don't invite fake MKs over, they'll only make you look bad! They be lookin' for a poor excuse in the likes of U-Airx9001 to Up-B for "an easy way out"...if they can even pull it off. ),: I mean, just look at Dee Dee Kong after the nerf!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom