• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
HOW DO WE IMPLEMENT THE UTILT BUFF INTO OUR PLAY????

I simply cannot grasp this buff. Utilt is a niche tool to demolish stuff above us and extend Uair combo's.
a good example would be leo's ridiculous combo on mr.r in the second game of their set. he used utilt to keep sheik in the air after a FF uair. His string was uair>FFuair>utilt>uairx3>upB. was testing just now against a friend and FFuair>Utilt is (tentatively) a true combo from 0-30%, after which a uair string can pretty easily be gotten if you get an airdodge read

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Ally used MK against ZeRo at Low Tier City 3 against ZeRo, so no. He actually came close to taking out ZeRo in game one of GF using MK. Also, the up tilt buff and sword trail fixes are stuff I really appreciate. Now if only his side special always put him in a free fall state when it's finished and MK's fair got a huge lag reduction buff.
is there a youtube link for that fight?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Ally used MK against ZeRo at Low Tier City 3 against ZeRo, so no. He actually came close to taking out ZeRo in game one of GF using MK. Also, the up tilt buff and sword trail fixes are stuff I really appreciate. Now if only his side special always put him in a free fall state when it's finished and MK's fair got a huge lag reduction buff.
What the devs need to change is to make it so that meta knight doesn't die near ledge when he uses his down b or tornado. SDing due to stuff like that is extremely annoying and unfair.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Our Up air chains are so broken loooool. Just fought a pretty good Rosalina on FG that was outplaying me super hard but I consistently killed her below 30 % with our up air strings. It felt good :metaknight:

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Today's results:

3rd out of 20 teams.

4th out of 58 in singles.

Todays highlights included bopping Yoshi, 0 to deathing a Luigi twice in the same match and timing out another Luigi. Today was a good day.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
^It's about to get even better. Tyrant has beaten Vinnie's Sheik, and Larry's fox. Now he's facing Mr. R
I'm prepared for more mk sheep

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
There's no pre recordings sadly, but Vinnie ended up beating him in losers. Regardless good on him beating a top level Sheik, Tyrant practices the Fox MU alot with Xzax.
The top level MK players are really looking very impressive, between Tyrant, Ito, and Leo success at local and national levels, and Ally potentially picking up the character for good after a very impressive first showing on MK. Ally literally just has to refine his play a little bit and he'll be just about unstoppable. The future is looking very bright for us.

busken

Smash Ace
I agree early wii U days Ally was using Shulk. Then played a little diddy.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Ally is a smart player. He'll pick whatever will get him wins. Even on an unpracticed character for him, he put in work vs zero's shiek. He'll stick with it if he thinks it is worth the effort.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
:4metaknight: has risen above the likes of :4peach:, :4megaman:, :4olimar: and :4pit: in the recent Reddit tier list...

But then again:

:4wiifit: and :4jigglypuff: are two whole tiers above :4mewtwo:, and are level with:4marth:
:4lucas: is above :4metaknight:
:4feroy: is apparently better than both :4ryu: and :4metaknight:
and 1111:4miibrawl: is next to :4metaknight:

so I'm not sure we should read too much into it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ally's brother: HolyNightmare has a great MK and Ally learns quickly so he learned a lot from Holy. Not a surprise he knows MK to an extent. I'm lucky he lives in MI for the summer and I've known him for so long. He could teach me a lot.

busken

Smash Ace
Hey guys I think we should make a nickname for U-airs into Up B. Maybe we should call it "darkness sweep"? Basically something cool but that puns along with MK..

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Hey guys I think we should make a nickname for U-airs into Up B. Maybe we should call it "darkness sweep"? Basically something cool but that puns along with MK..
Isn't it called stairway to heaven?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I was going to pop in Superstar Ultra and go to Meta Knightmare Ultra to look at MKs moves in that game as suggestions but my 3DS needs to update and won't play games without it and it won't update atm since the battery is too low. Soooo I just looked them up online

And the best I've got is Meta Upper...yeah, not the greatest. Only other options are Meta Chop, Meta Multithrust, Lunging Slice, Meta Chop and Thrust, Knight Spin, Down Thrust, Up Thrust, Meta Quick, Knight Call, Heal and the already taken Mach Tornado. Edit: Just got SSU up and running and there's also the option of Knight Beam.

Dah well, we'll come up with something!

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
If we actually want a name to catch on it has to be short and sweet, ideally 2-4 syllables. Alliteration is also ideal. Something like "Bat Blitz".

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Moves from Sword and Wing Kirby in SSU: Chop, Sword Beam, Uppercut, Multisword Attack, Stab, Sword Spin, Chop and Thrust, Down Thrust, Feather Gun, Condor Head, Bomber Head, Condor Dive, Toss, the already taken Shuttle Loop, Hover Flap...nothing too useable, even if we insert 'Meta' in there somewhere. Onto RtDL, TD and SS...err Squeak Squad, not Superstar!

Squeak Squad doesn't have names for the moves. RtDL has Overhead Slash, Drill Stab, Hat Thrust, Upward Slash, Sword Dive, Spin Slash, Twister Slash, Sky Energy Slash, Underwater Spin, Target Feather, Combo Bomb, Combo Dive, Dive-Bomb and names already used in SSU. TD has the exact same as RtDL.

Looks like we'll be coming up with an original name!

Last edited:

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
Call it "The First Upwards Aerial to the Second Upwards Aerial to the Third Upwards Aerial to the Fourth Upwards Aerial to the Fifth Upwards Aerial to the Upwards Special Shuttle Loop for the Stock". Add or remove Upward Aerials as necessary.

Alternatively you can call it something shorter, and consequently not as awesome and less annoying. Like the "Ascending Stab."

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
The Ha Ha! With Diddy the dthrow was the Hoo and uair was the Hah. Since ours lacks dthrow, there's no Hoo, but there is plenty of uair and therefore plenty of Hah. Not only that but we finish it off with Shuttle Loop where MK himself says 'Hah!' hence the Ha Ha! Not only does it make sense but it reflects us laughing at our opponent for dragging them all the way up there!...Yeah, I'll come back when I have a legit name or something worth mentioning xD.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I don't know what games you guys are looking at, but MK's never been dark. Just because he has bat wings and a dimensional cape that possesses the power of the empty universe doesn't make him a demonic knight. #respectbatwings2015

Last edited:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
So what your saying is...
Meta Knight is morph ball Bruce Wayne?

Also had a nice break, Meta Knight feels fun again but probably gonna keep playing the other characters until the next monthly comes.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
How essential is autocancelling DCape and Nado to learn for a fairly low level player like myself? I'm concentrating on being consistent with basic/crucial combos/techniques and strengthening my neutral game for now, but if it's easy to get the hang of then I'll work it into my practice.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
How essential is autocancelling DCape and Nado to learn for a fairly low level player like myself? I'm concentrating on being consistent with basic/crucial combos/techniques and strengthening my neutral game for now, but if it's easy to get the hang of then I'll work it into my practice.
Not really essential tbqh, only time i take full advantage of DCs auto cancel height is when i want to get out of disadvantage state as safely as possible without suffering landing lag. I play this character so much that i just know the height, no matter how high i am. Nado is very useful to auto cancel, try to down throw --> sh nado and mash correctly and you'll 99% of the time reach your peak height which just so happens to be the auto cancel height. If i whiff my nado for some reason out of down throw i won't get punished as easily. These do not aid your neutral game however.

busken

Smash Ace
Hey guys. I've been practicing and labbing all night last night and here are some things I found.

Immediately after a buffered SH D-air if you input any aerial aside from u-air it will be frame canceled and you'll have no landing lag. However, the hitbox doesn't come out on any of the aerials and since SH buffered d-air autocancels anyway if fastfalled this is not useful. However, if you SH buffered air dodge and frame cancel your n-air you will land with 0 landing lag meaning this is great for air defense. SH air dodge backwards into jabs or d-tilt seems good. You can even bait them with it.

Also, if you grab release off the ledge and the opponent's feet are in mid-air they will be released with a ridculous amount of hitstun and set knockback. This allows it to true combo into yolo drill rush if they mash out away. If they mash out down you can combo into d-air. This can kill every character at high percents and at low percents aside from villager, pit, dark pit, zelda, and pikachu no other character can make it back. From what i've tested. This is pretty easy to setup too, all you have to do is dash grab their ledge get-up, so if you're up a stock or in a huge percent loss this can be a viable option. I don't believe you can do this last patch as @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 mentioned.

Lastly, fastfalled u-air true combos into alot of stuff. At kill percents this can combo into Up B and kill. Also, at around 10-15 it can true combo into d-tilt. Around 25% you can combo this into u-tilt. Some characters may require you perfect pivot into u-tilt and if they di away, you must PP into u-tilt. The cool thing is that u-tilt combos into u-airs which starts killing at 30%. The timing for fast fall u-air is kinda strict though. I tried this on wifi and all I did was hover off their shield until they dropped it expecting the tomohawk then I did it.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
For the dash grab slide thingy, i recommend using the c-stick for Dair since you won't overshoot by fast falling unintentionally.

Utilt is a legit Uair setup, mid weights get DA --> Utilt --> Uair x5 --> Shuttle loop. May have to use this on characters we can't DA to nado. I've ditched training mode when it comes to Uair combo's stale Uair > Fresh Uair.

Praise Duck Hunt its such a good stage for us. The ducks sacrifice their souls for our blade, the red ball absorbs their soul so we can Uair people to oblivion.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Alright I've spent the last couple of afternoons and evenings scouring most of the threads on MK boards for information and compiling it. I've ended up with a few pages of concise notes which I'm using as a guide for when I'm practising, it has basically everything I want to know except for a list of advanced combos (which I don't think I'll need for a while). Would it be helpful to rearrange them and then provide them in the form of a guide/thread/post as a sort of method or protocol for newer MK players to help them git gud?

Personally, when I started trying to learn a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure what I should be working on first and what counts as basic MK stuff and what is advanced, what a low level MK absolutely needs to get down (eg. Up-B OOS) and what is less critical (eg. 0-death footstool combos). Based on the well-known resources as well as posts from Ito, Fye etc. my notes contain my impression of basic & intermediate level techniques, neutral game strategies and whatnot, that new/inexperienced MK players need to work on to improve. I'm not sure if this is just something I like to do when I work on a project (making concise lists), and hence is not worth the effort and clutter when we have a lot of resources already like Bonk!'s guide, or whether newer MKs could all benefit from a guide like mine to help them begin the journey to bat ball mastery.

Pls let me know what you guys think.

busken

Smash Ace
Alright I've spent the last couple of afternoons and evenings scouring most of the threads on MK boards for information and compiling it. I've ended up with a few pages of concise notes which I'm using as a guide for when I'm practising, it has basically everything I want to know except for a list of advanced combos (which I don't think I'll need for a while). Would it be helpful to rearrange them and then provide them in the form of a guide/thread/post as a sort of method or protocol for newer MK players to help them git gud?

Personally, when I started trying to learn a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure what I should be working on first and what counts as basic MK stuff and what is advanced, what a low level MK absolutely needs to get down (eg. Up-B OOS) and what is less critical (eg. 0-death footstool combos). Based on the well-known resources as well as posts from Ito, Fye etc. my notes contain my impression of basic & intermediate level techniques, neutral game strategies and whatnot, that new/inexperienced MK players need to work on to improve. I'm not sure if this is just something I like to do when I work on a project (making concise lists), and hence is not worth the effort and clutter when we have a lot of resources already like Bonk!'s guide, or whether newer MKs could all benefit from a guide like mine to help them begin the journey to bat ball mastery.

Pls let me know what you guys think.
If you would like to share I see no reason not to. Ultimately, this is what the board is for. I've discovered some stuff and sometimes had second thought about sharing but then I realized that if everybody thought that way we wouldn't have so much information in one place.

Also, it's unfortunate that most of the 0-deaths are diable. I was playing a Sheik today and all he did was DI away my Dash attack so I couldn't Up tilt hit confirms into U-airs. Anyway around this?

Top Bottom