• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Marth Support Thread - Fire Emblem's First Lord is Confirmed!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^The Generic starting weapon for FE lords are Rapiers. They're legendary weapons (which are the ones they use in Melee) are often different, (Durandal, Ragnell, Sol Katti, Sword of Seals, Tryfing, ect.) but they almost all start with the same type of sword.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No no no! I meant that their starting weapon is a rapier, not their smash brothers weapon. On the very first chapter of the game they don't have their legendary weapons. Their using basic swords. They are Rapiers.
I meant in Fire Emblem...

Look at the Sword he uses in 6.... it's too broad and long to even be a side-sword, it's probably a ******* Sword because it's obviously used one-handed.

Eliwood is the first to use a sword that actually looks like a rapier, based on proportions, however since it's hard to calculate the length of blades relative to video game characters it's possible that it's actually an estoc, but that's a side issue. Oh, amusingly enough, without any change in the blade's configuration he attacks with it when he promotes in a slashing manner... Granted, rapiers can slash, but they're not really intended to do so and estocs can't hold a blade, just a point...

Moral of the story: Don't expect Japanese gamemakers to have any knowledge of European swords.

And yes, weaponry in general is a topic that I am rather knowledgeable about.

Okysho

Smash Ace
yeah, just the point I was trying to make was the starting weapons at the beginning of the games are Rapiers...

In other news:

SHEIK CONFIRMED! ZELDA'S FINAL SMASH LEAKED!!! OFFICIAL COROCORO COMICS PICTURES!!! See brawl central for details!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
yeah, just the point I was trying to make was the starting weapons at the beginning of the games are Rapiers...
I understand what you're trying to say but, the weapons are called rapiers, none of the weapons the FE lords use until Eliwood actually are rapiers.

It should be taken as just a generic sword, with the visual attributes of the sword and the character's fighting style defining what type of sword it is since it's obvious the makers of Fire Emblem don't know what defines a rapier, an Estoc, etc.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Oops, you were talking about the apperance not the name. My bad. I always did find it funny that the same weapon looks different for different classes (thieves getting a little knife for a silver sword, Swordmasters getting a katana for steel blades, ect.)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Kk. Stop Weapon Discussion please. we all know Marth will have Flachion.

I Hope we're back on the "Character Everey Week" Train again. Hopefully Sakurai will keep the flow of newcomers and Vets even untill we run out of vets.

Vet,New,Vet,New, ect.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I want vets! He hasn't posted a single unlockable veteran yet! Have you noticed? I wanna know why!
Because.. They're unlockable?

3rd parties = Hype & Money

1st party unlockables dont increase the hype so much, so they're released later. when the tension is rising.

Unlockable Vets would be nice though

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
guys i wont be active this week cuz i got exams the thread is also not active almost like its dead

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
The only thing the sheik update was good for is, that we know no for sure, that EVERY unique moveset/character from Melee will return. And who can replace Marth?

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
The only thing the sheik update was good for is, that we know no for sure, that EVERY unique moveset/character from Melee will return. And who can replace Marth?
That.. Isnt... Entirely.. True..

Sheik -is- Zelda (Zomg Spoilers.)

The SSB Versions of the characters may be based off the characters looks/moves. but its really any game in the series thay could be based off of. (TP Zelda isnt exactly TP zelda..)

Zelda needs her alter ego. its who she is. end story.

I cant agree with you about a confirmation of all characters coming back that have original movesets. Im sorry.

We know that Zelda/Sheik share a Finsmash though.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Zelda does not need an alter ego. Twilight Princess and every other Zelda game can testify to that. Shiek got in because she's unique and popular. It doesn't confirm Marth in anyway, but it's just another one of those things that tips the scale in his favor. Apparently Sakurai likes unique, popular characters (wow, I never knew that. LoL).

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I read that Marth and Roy are to be scratched, in return for Ike and another Radiant Dawn character. I'll wage a bloody war if this is true! Marth come forth!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Where'd you read it? Not many sites beside the dojo are very reliable in this matter. And the sites that are reliable are simply regurgetating dojo info anyway. If you found it in the Ike forums or something then you should see me in there somewhere debating it.lol

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't be surprised if that was true TK.

But Takamaru would play a completely different style since his specialty is shuriken.

After Sheik, I believe anyone could return... Except Pichu and Doc. :p

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Takamaru has no where near the fanbase Marth does nor the utter coolness... I don't see how people think that a suitable replacement...
Yeah, he isn't AS cool as Marth, just coolER.

Anyone who thinks Taka should replace Marth has no idea what they're talking about, Taka has more weapons and a different style. BOTH deserve a spot.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well, it's still possible Lyn wasn't put as a PC because she wasn't popular enough as a Fire Emblem character. Since there's a limited number of spots she probably got beat out of it. Takamaru only has to compete with the WTF characters so it's a possible option. I don't think that it's as likely as some like to put it (Wiseguy), but I'm not really against his inclusion.

Okysho

Smash Ace
But his game never really took off... I mean Myself (and a lot of my friends whom are active participants on smashboards) have never heard of this guy until he was brought up for these WTF characters... I mean... to be an iuncluded WTF character you have to be Super popular like Olimar... he was a WTF character but Pikmin did Excruciatingly well...

Like FE3! That's why Marth is comming back!! BWAHAHAAAAAAAA see in Melee (for North Americans) Fire Emblem was considered a WTF series because it was Japan only, but now it's as good as included into the american's RPG library! Yay!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^His game was decent popularity wise, but yeah, I don't see him getting in unless Sakurai likes him or something. He'd still be a pretty unique character though. And is it just me or have the people that make anti Marth arguements been making more and more of them lately? And for the most part it's the same people too.

GenG

Smash Lord
I was browsing the old Melee Japanese webpage and found this commentary made by Sakurai under one of Marth's pics:

マルス登場。まさにドリームマッチ。
Which means:

Marth appeared. This is like a dream match.
Anyway, there's an interesting part on the Marth's profile:

From Fire Emblem, he joins to the war. Fans have waited eagerly his appeareance!

This is the only Nintendo character in the game that is being released overseas with no title, but fans appeared to be strong and Intelligent Systems and others supported his appareance.

Marth was about to be removed from the overseas edition, but being a new and fully made character, and how overseas acclaimed him, the overseas version has exactly the same features (so keep on the Japanese Marth).

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That's pretty interesting. Marth was going to be removed, but he was kept in the NA version because of how well recieved his inclusion was in Japan? That's pretty cool.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Yes, actually, Marth and Roy were supposed to be Japan-Only characters in Melee, but fans liked their appearances so much, that the Smash Bros. team decided to keep them in the World-wide version.

Nonchalant

Smash Cadet
I want marth in brawl so I can continue to kick his *** up and down any stage we play on. I have unfinished business with that *******.

Okysho

Smash Ace
@GenG:

Thats amazing. I knew he was a popular character but I didn't realize that he went as far as being a "Dream Match" it's rather uplifting to hear that. Now I know for a fact Sakurai won't remove him. He actually likes Marth too!

Top Bottom