• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Manliest Treasure Hunter Alive - Wario... from Wario Land!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Think about Roy is he's an alt costume and doesn't appear on the selection screen itself. Imagine you're picking up Smash and you see Wario twice, you'd think there was something wrong with the game showing a character twice. Not to mention the confusion amoung the programmers

Let's see if we can make a list...

Wario LAND
  • Classic Wario
  • Plumber Wario
  • Explorer Wario (with plinth cap)
  • Wario Land (they named the duck and dog Duck Hunt after all)
Wario WARE

• Biker Wario
  • Boss Wario
  • Wario Ware
I'd just call him Classic Wario, Adventurer Wario or Treasure Hunter Wario.

That might be a bit cumbersome but so is Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but what if along with wearing different caps, Wario's colors in his design and alts were more subdued to resemble what he looked like on the gameboy games. It would further differ him from the already established Wario and give him a classic edge. His physical design could also be altered to look a bit more like the classic boxart, but I don't think that would be quite as likely (not saying that my idea is likely in the first place).

I don't know about you guys, but that would give me a nostalgia overload

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The one thing that Classic Wario would need to have in common with his Ware counter part is they'd need to have the same body shape and size. Anything else is fair game, movment speed, weight, air speed fall speed, idle stances, taunts.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
The one thing that Classic Wario would need to have in common with his Ware counter part is they'd need to have the same body shape and size. Anything else is fair game, movement speed, weight, air speed fall speed, idle stances, taunts.
If they kept the same body model, and maybe just changed his hat and (maybe) textures, it probably make him the easiest newcomer to develop (aside from clones). It would also take up less resources, which is also a plus.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
they gave fighters like kirby, samus, toon link, and even mario retro colored alts based on previous appearences, mostly based on gameboy appearances, so this does mean that they're actively aknowledging them, and their significance. thus it seems likely that they'd at least have his alts in this retro form, even if they kept the default skin with more vibrant coloring.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Source Gaming put up some pretty interesting articles on Wario. They talk about the localization and cultural differences in the marketing of Wario. They also bring up why they think Wario's moveset in Smash is the way it is, and it really shows just how much cultural differences can change people's perception of characters.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/11/wariofart1/#more-1717
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/11/wariofart2/#more-1767

The article honestly makes me appreciate Wario's moveset more, but I still really like the ideas brought up in this thread. I understand that some of you might already know everything that was brought up in these articles, but I thought that it was worth bringing up. I definitely recommend reading these articles if you want a better idea about why Wario is represented the way he is in Smash.

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
This would be great but I don't see it happening for DLC. For the next game, perhaps they could split Overalls Wario and Biker Wario into two separate characters rather than costumes (with Wario Land obviously being the overalls one). I am a big Wario fan and I wish he could be better represented. For example, when I F-Smash and it's not the shoulder bash I kind of want to cry.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though what whould his Final Smash be? Are thereany really OP forms in the Land games?

PF9

Smash Lord
What I could see happening is DLC custom moves. Wario could have DLC customs based on many of his moves from the Wario Land series. That could work. I always thought everyone should receive Mii/Palutena-style customs. The only matter is pricing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if it's a japanese trope to have comical characters with big pink noses. Tingle certainly looks more like a distant cousin or the Wario Bros(?) than a Zelda character.

PsychoJosh

Though what whould his Final Smash be? Are thereany really OP forms in the Land games?
I posted an idea for it earlier in the thread.

FINAL SMASH: Greedy Shakedown

Wario pulls out a gigantic empty money sack and swings it in front of him, stuffing any opponents he catches into the sack. Once the sack contains at least one opponent he will begin violently shaking it, causing millions of coins to fly out, causing damage as he does so. Once he shakes out all the coins he can, he immediately tosses the sack and all its occupants offscreen with great force, and sucks up all the coins.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One unique thing they could do with Wario is render him in 2d but highly animated like he was in Shake Dimension. That'd shake things up (forgive the pun)

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
No, I'd hate that. They already did something like that in Brawl by giving him choppy animations, and it was horrible. I'd rather just have him have very quick and animated movements.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I can't say I want two Warios, so I can't support this, though I certainly wouldn't mind your Wario replacing the current Wario for the next game should there be one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No, I'd hate that. They already did something like that in Brawl by giving him choppy animations, and it was horrible. I'd rather just have him have very quick and animated movements.
Choppy? have you seen how smooth the animation is in that game?

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Source Gaming put up some pretty interesting articles on Wario. They talk about the localization and cultural differences in the marketing of Wario. They also bring up why they think Wario's moveset in Smash is the way it is, and it really shows just how much cultural differences can change people's perception of characters.

The article honestly makes me appreciate Wario's moveset more, but I still really like the ideas brought up in this thread. I understand that some of you might already know everything that was brought up in these articles, but I thought that it was worth bringing up. I definitely recommend reading these articles if you want a better idea about why Wario is represented the way he is in Smash.
Wow.. I was going to post these links too, and I still believe its possible to have two Warios with similar personalities expressed in very different movesets. Wario-ware Wario would emphasize more with toilet humor and parody-based comical attacks. Wario Land Wario would emphasize more towards comical attacks that are more heavily exaggerated with some signs of clumsiness.

PsychoJosh

Choppy? have you seen how smooth the animation is in that game?
Not his point. His point is that giving him a 2D sprite limits the things he can do, it limits his animation fidelity and also vastly increases the amount of time they'd have to work on him.

Also, this is just an opinion, but I think the graphics in Shake It looked way worse than in WL4.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I still would have given both franchises an equal amount of representation... While I am kinda bummed that Sakurai changed his Forawrd Smash and barely references his platforming roots it is better than what he was going to be in Melee. ((A clone which became Dr. Mario))

That's not to say the new Wario doesn't really reference Wario Land at all, or in terms of punching and stuff... A lot of the animations for those remind me of Wario World, especially his natural combo and backthrow. Not sure if that game counts as a Wario Land game much though.

I still wanna bring up some ideas of custom moves... I wanna try and make some ideas for more if they ever decide to do so in a future installment. ((The only ones I currently have are his Shoulder Bash, Flaming butt-stomp and Ground Punch... Maybe you could think of some unique ones like becoming Fire or Puffy Wario? That would be amusing if you could make it work and all.))

Personally, I think the current Wario is fine and all, but Custom moves was a huge letdown not even being able to spice him up to something more familiar or what we would dream of. ((apparently the only one who gets INTERESTING custom moves is Palutena. Not even a Butt-Bounce for Pac-Man or a Star Spin for Mario... Yeah, perfectly fair.))

I still want to say the removal of his Shoulder Bash doesn't make that much since considering it was the characters most iconic move in general. ((There was even artwork and renders of it in different places)) It's like taking away Mario's ability to Jump or Sonic's ability to run fast or spin into a ball... It just DOESN'T WORK honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

queendesarasa

Banned via Warnings

The comments in the second link are even more interesting.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace

I do agree Waluigi won't have a chance in Smash unless he ever appears in an official game honestly. Plus lack of source material would just make him generic, What's he going to do, Beat people with a Tennis Racket again?

Last edited:

queendesarasa

Banned via Warnings

I do agree Waluigi won't have a chance in Smash unless he ever appears in an official game honestly. Plus lack of source material would just make him generic, What's he going to do, Beat people with a Tennis Racket again?
If only the people who create games had a limited, uninspired imagination like most people.

queendesarasa

Banned via Warnings
Game creators having limited, uninspired imaginations is exactly how Waluigi was created in the first place.
Nah, most game developers in Nintendo have astute judgment on their intellectual properties and know what to do with them.
Oftentimes fans are impassioned by strong and often irrational opinions that makes it hard for them to distinguish their own personal preferences with facts.
Many of the times they end up legitimately hating the character of their criticism, I suppose since their emotions are so wild and intense it clouds their mind up and they have a hard time separating reality with fantasy.

Nice to see you still have your "passion", btw.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Nah, most game developers in Nintendo have astute judgment on their intellectual properties and know what to do with them
Not in the case of Waluigi. He's completely contrived, they even admitted this themselves, the ONLY reason he exists is because Wario needed a doubles partner in Mario Tennis 64.

Now stop derailing my thread with this garbage and showing us how hard it is for you to distinguish your own personal preferences from facts.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Can we get back to talking about Wario? I've had a Klonoa fan de-rail my Giana support thread, I'd rather not have it happen again.

EDIT: ****ing IPhone typing.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really want some pre-WarioWare stages in Smash so bad. Two stages I really want to see are:

Wario Land
It is a tropical beach stage like Tortimer Island. We battle on the sands of Rice Beach and on the deck of S.S. Teacup and on the slippery slopes of Sherbet Land. The tides rise and lower... and we must stay on the pirate ship or the iceberg during the high tides or we drown.

Wario's Woods
It is a forest stage where we battle inside the hollowed out tree. The Thwomp inside the tree can OHKO characters (if they are over 100%) when it drops down. Characters can escape the Thwomp by exiting the tree on either side. Wanda flies around and drops bombs inside the tree.

PsychoJosh

I'd have the Wario Land stage be a big labyrinth sort of like Great Cave Offensive where there are elemental hazards. Catching fire doesn't damage you but causes you to do bigger damage and destroy fire blocks. There'd also enemies that can freeze you or turn you into a snowball and send you careening down slopes and anyone you hit gets knocked back a huge distance.

Also there'd be treasure chests that drop rare items, like CDs or figurines, but only if you collect the keys in the stage and match them to the correct color chest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom