• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Manliest Treasure Hunter Alive - Wario... from Wario Land!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
In Smash 4, we have two versions of Pit, two versions of Mario, two versions of Samus, two versions of Zelda, two versions of Link and a BILLION versions of Marth. So why can't we have a different version of Wario: one that pays tribute to his roots as a platforming anti-hero who's out to make himself rich?

Yes, long before you knew him as "that farting biker clown guy" from Warioware Inc., Wario went on his own amazing platforming adventures, not to save any princesses or any kingdoms, but just to make himself rich. In the Wario Land games, his entire goal was just to plunder all the treasure he could get his hands on. Whether it meant going up against an army of bloodthirsty pirates, fighting ghosts and phantasms in an ancient cursed pyramid, or even taking on a gigantic clown demon who wanted to take over the world, it didn't matter to him. Wario was determined to rise above it all and become the richest man on the planet. Nothing would deter him from his visions of glory: gigantic, magnificent castles! Fast, shiny cars! Beautiful babes at his beck and call! He proves to himself every day that greed is good, and can motivate a man to do amazing things.

Wario wasn't always a flatulent troll character. At one point, Nintendo respected him enough to make him his own character, with his own game series and endearing character traits. As a treasure hunter, Wario exhibited incredible feats of strength and endurance, to the point where in Warioland 2 and 3, he was completely invincible. No matter what you did to harm him in the games, he simply could NOT die. But that's not to imply his quests were easy in any way! No, quite the contrary: because Wario was unable to be defeated, he had a greater amount of puzzles and challenges to overcome. He'd have to use his wits as well as his physical strength to achieve his goals. This would mean putting his body through intense rigors, such as completely setting himself on fire, or turning into a zombie. It goes without saying that he put himself through a lot of pain, but no amount of pain would keep him down, for he is the manliest treasure hunter who has ever lived.

"Oh yeah! I got this in the bag! Most of these losers don't even lift!"

So what exactly can Wario do?

That's a great question! As stated at the beginning, Wario's most basic and essential ability is his incredible herculean strength. It goes without saying that this incarnation of Wario would be a heavyweight brawler, up there with the likes of Donkey Kong and King Dedede. His signature move, the Shoulder Rush, is his go-to attack for most situations. This move causes him to charge forward with his shoulder and smash through solid rock walls or any critter foolish enough to get in his way. In Smash, this move would likely be his standard B move, and it would have insane killing power! Just press B to dash forward with Wario's shoulder out in front, and you can even jump in the middle of it! In Warioland 4, he had an even MORE powerful rushing attack, known as the "super headrush". You would just hold down L or R, and start moving in any direction, which will cause Wario to lower his head. Keep moving him in one direction and he'll begin charging like a freight train, and when he reaches maximum speed he becomes virtually UNSTOPPABLE! With this move he simply PLOWS through solid boulders as if they were made out of rice crackers! Because this move is so strong, he needs a fair bit of running distance before he can even start it, and even more distance is needed just so he can stop! If this move were in Smash, it would function as a rushing, armored haymaker with a giant hitbox in front of it, and anyone in its path gets blown back a huge distance! You thought getting run over with the Blue Falcon was painful? You haven't seen anything yet! On top of this, he's also been known to use his own weight to his advantage, by pounding the ground with his own posterior. By initiating this butt stomp attack from a tall enough height, he can come down with the force of a meteor impact! The heat generated on his butt by the friction of re-entry must be excruciating, but he doesn't complain if it gets results!

That's not all though. Similar to how Mario gains certain special abilities by munching on leaves and flowers, Wario has a variety of different hats at his disposal which augment his abilities in amazing new ways. Switching hats would be his down+B move, and then he activates their effect with forward+B, which would otherwise be his super headrush attack if he's wearing his normal Wario Cap.
  • When he dons his Eagle Cap, he can use his Shoulder Rush in the air to wreck some fools who try to use their air mobility to escape his wrath! This would also give him great horizontal recovery!
  • Enemies trying to keep you out with projectiles? Slap on the Dragon Cap and blow a constant cascade of flame while closing the distance on them! Think of it as a flaming curry item you can use anytime!
  • By putting on your Bull Cap, you become a lot heavier and harder to knock around! Cling to ceilings and create SHOCKWAVES when you slam the ground with your butt stomp attack!
These hats make Wario's great powers even better, but in the first Wario Land game, getting hit by an enemy would cause you to lose them. So of course, this means that getting hit too much in Smash will cause his hat to get knocked off, so be careful!

Wario already has more than enough to work with based on what I've already posted, but did you know that even this isn't the extent of his abilities? Wario also has a number of transformations at his disposal that show off his tolerance for pain while potentially bringing the pain to others!

• Take to the air as Vampire Bat Wario and bite people to get some of your life back!
  • Eat a donut to transform into Fat Wario! He's big, sluggish and virtually immobile, but at the same time invulnerable to all attacks and can cause earthquakes when he jumps! He's like a walking POW block!
  • Compress your legs into a spring and bounce straight up into the air as Bouncy Wario to SMASH people with your thick skull! Ker-SPROING!
  • Completely set yourself on fire and charge into people! And once you're done that, do it in the game as well, by turning into Flaming Wario!
  • Get crushed flat as a pancake and become Flat Wario! Contemplate life's mysteries as you slowly drift to the ground like a delicate little feather. Ahh, how relaxing.

You might say to yourself that even with all these great abilities, Wario is too gimmicky as a fighter. He's still too crazy and outlandish and doesn't demonstrate any knowledge of actual combat.

Boy, you are DEAD WRONG.
  • Wario can cause tremors just by punching the ground!
  • He can take off running, then launch himself like a cannonball and slam into people!
  • He watches wrestling and knows tons of grappling moves! He can take them for a ride by spinning them like a whirlwind, or chucking them like a baseball, with just ONE hand!!!
  • FOR GOD'S SAKE, HERE IS A VIDEO OF HIM PILEDRIVING A 50 FOOT DINOSAUR IN A WIG!!!

What more needs to be said, you guys? VOTE FOR WARIOLAND WARIO!

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I don't know about this not to discourage you or anything though I DO Love the Wario land series and I miss his brawl side smash the wario land move set would be awesome but IDK how they can implement it I know they can put a different model of Wario and give them those moves I just don't know how they would make it with it being a bit weird and such But I would support the "Wario land Move set"

PsychoJosh

I don't know about this not to discourage you or anything though I DO Love the Wario land series and I miss his brawl side smash the wario land move set would be awesome but IDK how they can implement it I know they can put a different model of Wario and give them those moves I just don't know how they would make it with it being a bit weird and such But I would support the "Wario land Move set"
...uh. I just explained it. Completely. Did you even read the post?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My ideal Wario would be the Wario we have now with a few nods to the Wario Land games.

All I really ask is that his f-smash return to the glorious shoulder bash and, please, for the love of Naga, offer an alternative to the fart. Prudish as it may be, I'm actually turned off the character because of that move - you could very easily call it Wario Blast and have him use a bomb instead.

This gives me an excuse to share my revamped Wario moveset with y'all, so I'll get on that in a moment~

PsychoJosh

i did but still I'm just saying that I would like to see this with out it conflicting with the current wario we have in smash and I do really want this.
Why would it conflict? There's two Samuses, two Links, two Marios, two Zeldas and all the other things I mentioned at the very top of my post. Another Wario wouldn't conflict anything.

You obviously didn't read my post.

Wait how would this work when Warioland Wario is already a skin?
"Treasure Hunter Wario" as he'd probably be called would either wear his safari cap normally, or they'd remove access to that skin for Warioware Wario. Either one works.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I suddenly feel like pre Brawl again. :laugh:

Anyway, I completely support this idea. Smash 4 Wario has absolutely no trace of Wario Land, and Project M has sold me on the idea. :b:

If this does happen at some point, I hope he gets his hard hat too.

:231:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I'd rather have Waluigi get in first before we get another Wario.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
That's just the classic overalls, y'know, the ones he wears in every Mario spinoff?
He wears it in Wario Land too. Wario Land 4, World, Smooth Moves and that DS one(master of disguise or something). In fact, that means his design is used more in Warioland games than the treasure hunter hat suggested.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
My ideal Wario would be the Wario we have now with a few nods to the Wario Land games.
I agree with this. Return the F-smash shoulder bash, Make his D-smash his ground punch, and maybe change his corkscrew to Bouncy Wario.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Why would it conflict? There's two Samuses, two Links, two Marios, two Zeldas and all the other things I mentioned at the very top of my post. Another Wario wouldn't conflict anything.

You obviously didn't read my post.
well they did give them distinguishing differences in appearance but ya I think the classic safari one would work I would have really wanted his classic wario one to be his out fit but hey when you're right you're right.

PsychoJosh

I agree with this. Return the F-smash shoulder bash, Make his D-smash his ground punch, and maybe change his corkscrew to Bouncy Wario.
I wouldn't be satisfied with this. I don't like Wario as he is now. I don't like his fart attack, or his bike, or his weird floatiness. He should be a heavy powerhouse with more special moves that are nods to his games. He has SO much unused source material for special moves that it's a complete travesty to not use them.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
You also forgot one more element to Treasure Hunter Wario (or Explorer Wario as I nickname that one) that sets him apart:

COIN TOSSING!

In Wario Land only and nowhere else, the player would need 10 coins and do up and B to pull out a big coin. The tossed coin is treated as a weapon to defeat enemies.

In Smash, if the character were to be made, then the coin toss move would consist of a projectile that can reflect other projectiles, which causes the coin to be bounced back. If landed on the ground, the coin would spin around for a short time before disappearing if untouched. If any fighter attacks the coin, it will be launched to hit any other opponent. If variants are allowed, we could have a coin bag that does not have the reflection property, but takes a few hits before a few more coins pop out of the bag for extra short-ranged attacks. The coin bag causes a stronger launch to opponents while still falling to the ground. Another variant would be multiple small coins being tossed at various ranges, which is useful to neutralize small projectiles and damage build-up. However, tossing small coins will be destroyed by larger projectiles, rendering the variant useless for damage protection.

PsychoJosh

Meh... I guess that's something he could have. I don't find that nearly as interesting as his countless other potential abilities.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
YES!!!!

I want Ganondorf with a sword. We can have Wario Land Wario too.

Let's help spread the word for canon characters!!!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really don't want an "extended Mario" spinoff-only character to be playable in Smash.

PsychoJosh

Waluigi isn't a main character in ANY game, in fact he isn't even a secondary character in the Mario series. He's tertiary. He's so profoundly unimportant that it makes my head spin as to why people seriously think he's a contender for being in Smash. He barely has enough source material to make an effective assist trophy, let alone a full-fledged character. They already exhausted their ideas for him just with his assist trophy.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Base his attacks around spinoffs. Mystery boxes, dice, tennis rackets, mega strikes, etc.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think moveset potential is an issue for Waluigi. I could easily draft up a conceptual moveset for him.

His issue is that he's a secondary character in the Super Mario series, and doesn't really do much aside from appearing in spinoffs. If he made an appearance in WarioWare or, better still, starred with Wario in a tag-team adventure title, he'd be a great Wario series character.

D

Deleted member

I do think waluigi should have his chance in the fighter spotlight. Wario has had it 2 times by now!

And it isn't way too hard to find the right moves for Waluigi to show :falconmelee:

Last edited by a moderator:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I don't think moveset potential is an issue for Waluigi. I could easily draft up a conceptual moveset for him.

His issue is that he's a secondary character in the Super Mario series, and doesn't really do much aside from appearing in spinoffs. If he made an appearance in WarioWare or, better still, starred with Wario in a tag-team adventure title, he'd be a great Wario series character.
This needs to happen, stat! :4wario2:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This topic is based around Wario himself and not Waluigi. I know there is not an open thread for Waluigi due to him being a confirmed assist trophy, but I believe there would be a social group for him.

Please keep things to the topic at hand, and PsychoJosh please don't 'attack' people for their posts in here like you have!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Right, fair enough. Good call.

Well, as I said, my ideal Wario would be a revamped version of the one we have now. I actually like Wario's moveset and playstyle for the most part, yet I'd be ecstatic if it had a few references to Wario Land as well - an amalgamation of his Wario Land and WarioWare incarnations (and please without the fart attack) would be perfect to me.

That said, if we were to get a second Wario to represent Wario Land in its entirety, I'd be okay with WarioWare Wario having eight alts of his biker outfit and Wario Land Wario having eight overall outfits. In such a scenario, I'd actually like Wario Land Wario to be the default and just be named Wario, and WarioWare Wario be renamed "Biker Wario" or "Gamer Wario" or even "Wario Ware".

Although if Wario Land Wario was the second Wario (much more likely, considering WarioWare Wario is already the default, and thus far singular, Wario), I'm not sure if "Treasure Hunter Wario" would be the best name - it's a bit of a mouthful, isn't it? I think something like "Hunter Wario", "Classic Wario", "Overalls Wario" or "Wario Land" would be better. But that's just me.

This is getting confusing.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
....I now want another wario land game with a playable captain syrup so she can use the powerups and be given this moveset.

Douchuumen

Smash Cadet
Yeah, another second version of an existing character. Dozens of currently unexplored characters and series out there, but that's exactly what we need.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Yeah, another second version of an existing character. Dozens of currently unexplored characters and series out there, but that's exactly what we need.
This topic wouldn't exist if Wario was represented properly in the first place. Personally, I'd be happier if they just retconned his old moveset, but if this is what it takes to get some proper Wario Land representation, then so be it. Bring on hardhat Wario!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just to chime in and say that it's not a hard hat that Wario's sporting, it's a pith helmet. ;3

I don't agree with the notion that Wario isn't properly represented, I must confess. He's very well represented...in terms of WarioWare.

And therein lies the crux of the issue. Wario Land is a great series and it'd be nice if Wario's roots were payed proper homage, and I think a second Wario could work if it came to it.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Just to chime in and say that it's not a hard hat that Wario's sporting, it's a pith helmet. ;3

I don't agree with the notion that Wario isn't properly represented, I must confess. He's very well represented...in terms of WarioWare.

And therein lies the crux of the issue. Wario Land is a great series and it'd be nice if Wario's roots were payed proper homage, and I think a second Wario could work if it came to it.
Exactly. I was even fine with Brawl's Wario because he at least had that amazing shoulder bash as his fsmash, but now even that has been replaced by a generic punch similar to ftilt. To hell with that.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Don't get me wrong, I love WarioWare and think Wario's moveset does a great job of representing the series' quirky, irreverent nature. I just think it's a bit odd that Sakurai's overlooking an entire series which is, in itself, the reason why Wario is such a well-known and beloved character.

I'm wondering if it's because Sakurai considers Wario Land to be a Super Mario spin-off, as it was originally. Maybe he reckons people don't want another Mario character in the roster, and WarioWare is more diverse in that respect? There's a similar argument to be made with the DK series, though I think Sakurai's come to realise that DK is very much its own series.

The fact that Wario only appeared in Brawl is interesting. Wario was always a well-known and oft-appearing character in the 90s, and prior to Smash 64, he made a name for himself in Wario Land and as a staple character in the Mario spin-off titles. The other characters that originally starred with Mario and later went on to star in their own series, DK and Yoshi, both appeared in 64 as starting characters and were frequently depicted in the game's marketing campaign. I daresay the fact that Wario originally began as, and has often been interpreted as, an "evil twin" of Mario is what has often held him back. To the casual observer, it would be very easy to misconstrue him as an ugly caricature of Mario without any unique qualities of his own, and that may be why he was never considered for Smash before WarioWare redesigned him and made him look different from his arch-rival.

I don't know, I'm just spitballin'. There's definitely room for both series to get their due. Both are integral to Wario's character and have a lot of potential from which to draw inspiration.

PsychoJosh

Although if Wario Land Wario was the second Wario (much more likely, considering WarioWare Wario is already the default, and thus far singular, Wario), I'm not sure if "Treasure Hunter Wario" would be the best name - it's a bit of a mouthful, isn't it?
No worse than "Wii Fit Trainer", "Mr. Game and Watch" or "Zero Suit Samus", which are also mouthfuls.

I suppose he could also be "Adventurer Wario" or "Explorer Wario".

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong, I love WarioWare and think Wario's moveset does a great job of representing the series' quirky, irreverent nature. I just think it's a bit odd that Sakurai's overlooking an entire series which is, in itself, the reason why Wario is such a well-known and beloved character.

I'm wondering if it's because Sakurai considers Wario Land to be a Super Mario spin-off, as it was originally. Maybe he reckons people don't want another Mario character in the roster, and WarioWare is more diverse in that respect? There's a similar argument to be made with the DK series, though I think Sakurai's come to realise that DK is very much its own series.

The fact that Wario only appeared in Brawl is interesting. Wario was always a well-known and oft-appearing character in the 90s, and prior to Smash 64, he made a name for himself in Wario Land and as a staple character in the Mario spin-off titles. The other characters that originally starred with Mario and later went on to star in their own series, DK and Yoshi, both appeared in 64 as starting characters and were frequently depicted in the game's marketing campaign. I daresay the fact that Wario originally began as, and has often been interpreted as, an "evil twin" of Mario is what has often held him back. To the casual observer, it would be very easy to misconstrue him as an ugly caricature of Mario without any unique qualities of his own, and that may be why he was never considered for Smash before WarioWare redesigned him and made him look different from his arch-rival.

I don't know, I'm just spitballin'. There's definitely room for both series to get their due. Both are integral to Wario's character and have a lot of potential from which to draw inspiration.
This is what I'm thinking, too. It certainly doesn't help that there's very little consistency within the Wario subfranchise. We never see Captain Syrup in WarioWare. We don't see Jimmy T. or Ashley in Wario Land. And we see none of the above in the extended Marioverse.

It aggravates me as much as Nintendo ignoring the RPG characters in the extended Marioverse.

Top Bottom