• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

So I main :4rob::4mario:, and I was wondering what some of the bad MUs are for these characters? Do I have a weakness here if so I do have a really good :4cloud2:......
None. No weaknesses at all. Between the two (who are both solo viable in their own right) you're covered. Why would you have any need to defer to 20FF?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So I main :4rob::4mario:, and I was wondering what some of the bad MUs are for these characters? Do I have a weakness here if so I do have a really good :4cloud2:......
Weakness is :4cloud:.:4corrin::rosalina: Might be the only other ones but you should be fine. If you wanna use cloud as a 3rd you can to to beat Rosa and Corrin but if you only wanna use 2 then Mario and ROB are fine.
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh yeah I did it helped solidify my likeness for Diddy but I'm still not sure.

Edit: I've decided to drop :4corrin: as I just enjoy the others more. So I'm at :4diddy::4fox::4kirby::4mario::4ness::4pit:

Last edited:

ICY

Smash Rookie
Hi again

i've been trying characters and duh

:4sheik:didn't played too much before all his nerfs, but she's sooooo lightweight, also has problems against heavyweights with potential kill moves/options and well, that's all i think

:4ness: weird, played it in brawl and vanila sm4sh but now, i can't lol

:4mario::4diddy:nope

and idk what characters i'm gonna play, tomorrow i have a tourney with a lot of top players of here and welp idk what i gonna pick in bracket lol

maybe :4myfriends::4sonic::4falcon: probably

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hi again

i've been trying characters and duh

:4sheik:didn't played too much before all his nerfs, but she's sooooo lightweight, also has problems against heavyweights with potential kill moves/options and well, that's all i think

:4ness: weird, played it in brawl and vanila sm4sh but now, i can't lol

:4mario::4diddy:nope

and idk what characters i'm gonna play, tomorrow i have a tourney with a lot of top players of here and welp idk what i gonna pick in bracket lol

maybe :4myfriends::4sonic::4falcon: probably
Which top players? Who do they use? And which chatacters are most commonly used? You can easily solo with :4sonic: since he beats 90% of the cast. Then the other 10% is even or something small like 47:53.

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Here again. Last time I was here I had a :4fox: :4cloud: Dilemma. Now I have a :4ryu: problem.

Firstly, I'd like to point out I have completely dropped Fox for competitive play. I find I don't have the mental fortitude to play him effectively despite being able to pull off uptilt + upair traps, perfect pivot stuff and other shenanigans. At heart, I play a bait and punish playstyle. While Fox does this well, I don't feel enough reward for my effort plus I feel I work too hard for it. This especially applies if I'm behind and the opponent knows that so I'm limited to hard reads or a ledge guard.

So no more Fox for me.

Now for the Cloud and Ryu dilemma. I personally also love swords because I love the priority they give. I love being mobile and smooth with movement. I need kill power to reward my efforts.

Cloud has all of these, no? Yet, he's more of a zoner and I play him bait and punish, which you can do with Limit Camping luckily. But what about a character that's is COMPLETELY about bait and punish and fully rewards that heavily?

This is where Ryu comes in. He's still somewhat mobile and boasts insane kill power. Hadoken can do mindgames where the opponent expects you to throw it out and instead you meet them halfway with your Frame 2/3 Up/Down tilt or jab into Shoryuken. Same thing with Focus Attack. His commitment to an approach though can be stressful because you have to always be careful with what you are doing but I believe that improving at Ryu improves your mental game and patience. His range makes me want to kill myself sometimes but oh my god whenever I kill Bayonettas in tourney/friendlies at 50% I feel like a god.

So here's my main question:

Go with the east bake option where he's becoming so common and eventually everyone will know how to fight him: :4cloud:?

Or go with a character with insane potential with not a lot of reps and get dem ******* for using an uncommon character and not get criticized for getting carried by $5.99: :4ryu:?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Chalice Chalice
You could use both. :4ryu: Is the bait and punish character and if you can handle to effort he is so complex and tricky that he's hard to fight. :4cloud: Is a lot easier to pick up. You could solo main either too. Cloud isn't completely zoning. He's aggressive too, but not really bait and punish. Try and see if Ryu is too hard for you to use and if not then use him. :4falcon: Is a great bait and punish character btw. As for cloud if you don't have interest then don't bother but if you do you can always use him as a 2nd main. Also people won't know how to fight him and even if they do he'll still be good just like any of the top tiers.

Last edited:

Narkelva

Smash Rookie
First off, I'd like to apologize if I'm breaking any rules by posting in this thread without reading previous posts.

I've played Smash Bros. since Melee, and have played extremely on and off...about three years ago my group of friends had a focus on playing Brawl Minus while inebriated *kek*, and as of now, the main focus is Sm4sh.

Now, I am a FGC fanatic. But I'm a novice to Smash. I LOVE everything that is Street Fighter, 3rd Strike being my favorite of all. (Still play it on Fightcade till this day.) I've played Blazblue and mained Hakumen, played P4Arena, played pretty much most games thatd be in a line up at EVO.

However, my cliche/stereotype among my group of bros, is that I always main boxers. Which is where I get to my main question....
(this is for people who are familiarized with SFIII:3S, or Ultra SFIV)

Who should I main that plays most similar to DUDLEY from SF3? (inb4 little mac)
I did try to main :4littlemac:, but was quickly taught that this is a terrible idea for a novice. Lol, the amount of times I side+b'd off stage, or did something silly where I had too many recovery frames (like charging B all the way), was stupid. So I picked up Mario. And I've gotten fairly decent at him in my opinion.

But I'm mainly posting because I'd like someone with a really high level of experience in SF to help me pick out a character....

I main :4mario: and :4duckhunt:, and have my eyes on :4rob:, :4mewtwo:, and :4zss:.
If you guys want, I can upload a replay from Fightcade on Youtube and show you my play style in 3rd Strike. I have a general hyperaggressive play style, tend to make moves alot without thinking, and capitalize on punishes. I love juggling people.
Once again, I'll say the two characters I'm most familiarized with in the FG roster of characters, are Dudley, and Steve Fox from Tekken. I LOVE boxers, but since Little Mac has the highest skill ceiling in the world, I need another main. Perhaps I'll go back to Little Macaroni after becoming more pro?

If I'm missing anything here, let me know.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
First off, I'd like to apologize if I'm breaking any rules by posting in this thread without reading previous posts.

I've played Smash Bros. since Melee, and have played extremely on and off...about three years ago my group of friends had a focus on playing Brawl Minus while inebriated *kek*, and as of now, the main focus is Sm4sh.

Now, I am a FGC fanatic. But I'm a novice to Smash. I LOVE everything that is Street Fighter, 3rd Strike being my favorite of all. (Still play it on Fightcade till this day.) I've played Blazblue and mained Hakumen, played P4Arena, played pretty much most games thatd be in a line up at EVO.

However, my cliche/stereotype among my group of bros, is that I always main boxers. Which is where I get to my main question....
(this is for people who are familiarized with SFIII:3S, or Ultra SFIV)

Who should I main that plays most similar to DUDLEY from SF3? (inb4 little mac)
I did try to main :4littlemac:, but was quickly taught that this is a terrible idea for a novice. Lol, the amount of times I side+b'd off stage, or did something silly where I had too many recovery frames (like charging B all the way), was stupid. So I picked up Mario. And I've gotten fairly decent at him in my opinion.

But I'm mainly posting because I'd like someone with a really high level of experience in SF to help me pick out a character....

I main :4mario: and :4duckhunt:, and have my eyes on :4rob:, :4mewtwo:, and :4zss:.
If you guys want, I can upload a replay from Fightcade on Youtube and show you my play style in 3rd Strike. I have a general hyperaggressive play style, tend to make moves alot without thinking, and capitalize on punishes. I love juggling people.
Once again, I'll say the two characters I'm most familiarized with in the FG roster of characters, are Dudley, and Steve Fox from Tekken. I LOVE boxers, but since Little Mac has the highest skill ceiling in the world, I need another main. Perhaps I'll go back to Little Macaroni after becoming more pro?

If I'm missing anything here, let me know.

Since you are familiar with the street fighter controls why not try :4ryu:? He's in the race for being best in the game, he's similar to a boxer, his specials and tilts have the same imputs as street fighter too. Why not give him a shot. He is hard to use though, but being familiar with street fighter I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Otherwise :4mario: is a good choice. He's easy to pick up and very viable. :4duckhunt: Has a high skill cap and isn't very good so I wouldn't recommend him unless you plan on using someone else with him. :4rob: Is also a good choice do use him if you like. He's not super easy but he's not that hard either. :4zss: Is amazing and easy to learn. If you want to use her then defiantly do. :4mewtwo:Is harder to use but still a great option. Most of these characters are all around/ aggressive play styles besides Duck hunt. So I think that's your playstyle.hope this helps

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
N Narkelva Hey dude, SFIII:3S fan here! So to give you a straight answer, mindless aggressive play would best suit :4mario: (though I don't really recommend playing without thinking LOL). But about :4littlemac:, yeah, it's true he's actually very difficult competitively, but think about it this way: By holding yourself back from the delicate details of this character, you could essentially be robbing yourself of the character who'd bring you the most enjoyment out of matches, and learning his ins and outs could end up improving your overall gameplay. The first thing I'd suggest is fully acquainting yourself with his recovery options; yeah, they're limited maybe, but the better you understand them, the more likely you are to succeed (wall jump can often be a life-saver). Little Mac has a similar footsie game to Dudley, except you have to create that footsie stuff more manually rather than inputting a command that makes Dudley basically do the work for you movement-wise. You can apply pressure, sure, but you want to try and command the center of the stage as much as possible while mixing up your footsie game (pivot tilts are very important for Mac). It sounds as though you could possibly be using his specials too freely rather than his plethora of useful normal attacks (some of which are armored, meaning even if you get hit, you won't suffer any interruptions to your own attack). Not sure if you know, but you can shorten the length of his side special by pressing the special button again (and you definitely want to limit yourself to using this facing the inside of the stage rather than the other way around LOL). Don't forget you have a great counter if things start getting scary. I'd recommend checking out the Little Mac board before giving up on him completely.

As far as some other characters I'd suggest looking into, while :4falcon: isn't really the best for constant aggressive play (he's an odd combination of bait & punish and aggressive), he does make good use of his fists, and if you can (or can learn to) read your opponent well, I think you'll find him enjoyable. :4yoshi: is considered mindless by some, but I disagree... However, Yoshi can be played aggressively; definitely figure out his recovery options before getting serious (I'd suggest turning tap jump off to prevent accidental second jumps), and you'd have to force yourself to avoid side special (except perhaps on rare occasions when you want to catch your opponent off-guard with something absolutely ridiculous). I think Yoshi's at least somewhat easy to pick up at a low level similar to Mac, so you could ease yourself into his quirks with time. :4miibrawl:s are rare since most tourneys don't currently allow them (or if they do it's only with the default 1111 moveset), and they're heavier on kicks, but you should at least give them a shot, I think. They're pretty dang fun to play, honestly, and the style is fairly aggressive.

I can definitely relate to being big on Street Fighter, but not so much :4ryu: (in SFIII:3S, I gravitate toward Q and Yun, whereas Chun-Li's been a favourite/main across the series, so Ryu just doesn't fit me at all). Hope some of this helps you on your quest to find the perfect main!

Last edited:

Stylish pQuesadilla

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I have a lot of characters that I want as my first main, but I'm having way too much trouble due to the amount of them. So I need help. Here are some things I want

1.No one super slow
2.Someone able to do good damage
3.Someone that can stay safe(projectiles,move away quickly, etc.)
4.At least mid-tier
*I can't access DLC.
*I am a beginner
Here is who I have in mind:Rosalina,Yoshi,Pit,Ness,Sonic, Pikachu, Greninja, and Mario.

Narkelva

Smash Rookie
N Narkelva Hey dude, SFIII:3S fan here! So to give you a straight answer, mindless aggressive play would best suit :4mario: (though I don't really recommend playing without thinking LOL). But about :4littlemac:, yeah, it's true he's actually very difficult competitively, but think about it this way: By holding yourself back from the delicate details of this character, you could essentially be robbing yourself of the character who'd bring you the most enjoyment out of matches, and learning his ins and outs could end up improving your overall gameplay. The first thing I'd suggest is fully acquainting yourself with his recovery options; yeah, they're limited maybe, but the better you understand them, the more likely you are to succeed (wall jump can often be a life-saver). Little Mac has a similar footsie game to Dudley, except you have to create that footsie stuff more manually rather than inputting a command that makes Dudley basically do the work for you movement-wise. You can apply pressure, sure, but you want to try and command the center of the stage as much as possible while mixing up your footsie game (pivot tilts are very important for Mac). It sounds as though you could possibly be using his specials too freely rather than his plethora of useful normal attacks (some of which are armored, meaning even if you get hit, you won't suffer any interruptions to your own attack). Not sure if you know, but you can shorten the length of his side special by pressing the special button again (and you definitely want to limit yourself to using this facing the inside of the stage rather than the other way around LOL). Don't forget you have a great counter if things start getting scary. I'd recommend checking out the Little Mac board before giving up on him completely.

As far as some other characters I'd suggest looking into, while :4falcon: isn't really the best for constant aggressive play (he's an odd combination of bait & punish and aggressive), he does make good use of his fists, and if you can (or can learn to) read your opponent well, I think you'll find him enjoyable. :4yoshi: is considered mindless by some, but I disagree... However, Yoshi can be played aggressively; definitely figure out his recovery options before getting serious (I'd suggest turning tap jump off to prevent accidental second jumps), and you'd have to force yourself to avoid side special (except perhaps on rare occasions when you want to catch your opponent off-guard with something absolutely ridiculous). I think Yoshi's at least somewhat easy to pick up at a low level similar to Mac, so you could ease yourself into his quirks with time. :4miibrawl:s are rare since most tourneys don't currently allow them (or if they do it's only with the default 1111 moveset), and they're heavier on kicks, but you should at least give them a shot, I think. They're pretty dang fun to play, honestly, and the style is fairly aggressive.

I can definitely relate to being big on Street Fighter, but not so much :4ryu: (in SFIII:3S, I gravitate toward Q and Yun, whereas Chun-Li's been a favourite/main across the series, so Ryu just doesn't fit me at all). Hope some of this helps you on your quest to find the perfect main!

Thanks for this lengthy and insightful response. Nice to see 3rd Strike fans exist in this community! As far as I've heard, its always "beef" that runs between Smash fans and SF fans, but idk, that was refreshing to read. :D Anywho, your advice is really solid. I have played :4ryu:, and his moveset is awesome, but it just feels so weird playing a combination of SFIV and SFIII Ryu in SMASH, lol....even if it was meant to be a fun cameo.

Your insight on why I should continue to play :4littlemac: is really awesome...I literally find myself bathing in salt when I make mistakes as him. But, I have gotten better over the last month I've been playing Sm4sh, and, after playing him a couple of times recently, I don't make too many silly mistakes like when I first started. I love running ---> Up Smash, though I feel like thats extremely readable.

:4mario: is someone who I've been playing consistently, if not the only character. I've been seeing consistent progress with him, so I might stick with him seeing as you suggested him the most. I just wanted someone who could do something similar to Dudley's s.HP --> EX MGB ---> 6x c.HK ---> Ducking ---> Corkscrew Punch juggle. Not literally someone who could juggle like its EVO, but someone who has really hard punishes, and pressure extremely hard when in a certain situation (in Dudley's case, this would be the corner of the stage.)

I love C. Falcon, but I can't figure his rhythm out, though what you told me about baiting and then switching to just aggressive without the baiting, is enlightening. I've played Yoshi 2-3 times, and its the only time the best "bro" in my "bro group" gave me a fistbump for pulling of gnarly, random combos.

I did make my own profile and disable tap jump and remap X to make that Grab, with Y as Jump. When I turned off tap jump, my skill level literally spiked up. So I'd consider myself a "moderate" beginner.

Let me know if you'd like me to post up a video or something in FCade, so you can analyze how I approach FGCs in terms of playstyle.

Once again thank you so much!!

P.S. @Nice_FZPSC.42, I did read your post. The only reason I'm not also replying to you is because I have to go. But I appreciate your advice tooooo!

Stylish pQuesadilla

Smash Rookie
He's actually one of my last choices as a main at least. My top choices are Pit,Rosalina,Ness, Toon Link,R.O.B and Sonic. I really want someone combo-focused or someone unique like Rosalina. I originally wanted Pikachu, but he just doesn't click with me, I have a hard time with level 8 CPU with him sooo, yeah. I also just started thinking about Toon Link and R.O.B., since they seem pretty cool.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
He's actually one of my last choices as a main at least. My top choices are Pit,Rosalina,Ness, Toon Link,R.O.B and Sonic. I really want someone combo-focused or someone unique like Rosalina. I originally wanted Pikachu, but he just doesn't click with me, I have a hard time with level 8 CPU with him sooo, yeah. I also just started thinking about Toon Link and R.O.B., since they seem pretty cool.
I'd say :4pit: since he's in the same boat as Mario kinda. Atleast to start you off. Otherwise :4rob: is a great choice. :4tlink: Is a character who requires a lot of knowledge on the game and himself and isn't the best choice for beginners. :rosalina::4pikachu: Are similar to that. :4ness: Is easy to pick up so he's another great option. :4sonic: Isn't as easy but he's not super hard so if you can learn the tech then he'll be great. So your best choices are :4mario::4ness::4pit::4rob::4sonic: to start you off. Although if you wanna get started early and can deal with using a hard to master character than you can defiantly :rosalina: and in time be a very formidable foe since she's most likely #1 in the game.

(This is too avoid double posting) with my search I've found that I'm just too inconsistent with :4darkpit::4fox: and I'm a lot more consistent with :4diddy::4kirby::4mario::4ness::4sheik: and even characters I use for fun like :4link::4rob::4marth::4cloud:and :4jigglypuff:!!!! Puff power! So I've decided to drop :4darkpit::4fox:. So yay I can narrow down but those two have been recommended themost. So pooh. I've got nothing to go off now. So... STILL looking for 2 out of :4mario::4diddy::4sheik::4kirby::4ness: and if I hear good stuff about those I use for fun I'd defiantly consider them too. Any help?

New addition to my list is :4mewtwo:since I love him and am consistent with him. Making it :4mario::4diddy::4sheik::4kirby::4ness::4mewtwo:.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
N Narkelva Glad to help! :)

It's probably fine to show some footage of your style since you're doing so to help others understand what you're looking for (though I do think you're on the right path currently). Make sure to tag me so I don't miss it! :D

Keep in mind that if you do wind up just feeling too frustrated playing some of the other suggestions after a decent amount of practice and such, Mario is a great character for helping with fundamentals and can assist you in eventually branching out to picks from the rest of the cast (Of course, sticking with Mario is absolutely A-OK as well!).

This may be considered a bit off-topic, but I think it's important to help you on your way, and I apologize if you already know this stuff:
You are using a GameCube controller, correct? Keeping Y for jump is, in my opinion, a great choice, because it allows you to keep the tip of your thumb over Y and the middle over A, giving quick access to both; since you have tap jump off, this set-up will make it very easy for you to up smash out of shield (very important for both Mario and Little Mac). The trickier input with tap jump off is up special out of shield, which is a pretty nice punish for someone giving Mac shield pressure. In case you're unfamiliar with this procedure, it's basically just holding up (holding up only applies to tap jump off), pressing jump, and then using either your attack or special button immediately afterward, cancelling your shield and putting out an attack before your character ever leaves the ground. The reason it's a bit harder with up special is because you have to move your thumb from Y down to B, sometimes leading to an accidental flick of A or the C-stick. If you find you have some difficulty with this, I'd recommend setting either L or R as an extra jump button, whichever you find yourself using less for shield (in my case I set R as the extra jump).

Last edited:

Sinnoh

Smash Rookie
So I've been looking for a main for a year and a half now (yeah, it's not going so well). I've narrowed down some of the cast but I think I've found my sort of material.
I really like characters with aerials that have quick start ups and the hit-box is straightforward. Some examples are Diddy Kong's fair and bair, Mario's bair & uair, Captain Falcon's up-air, you get the idea.
I don't like aerials with any noticeable startup like Fox's bair, or moves with sort of strange hitboxes (usually multi hit) like Fox's forward air.
Falco feels really nice with most of his moves having quick start ups, and Luigi feels about the same. The problem is Falco's horizontal air speed (and running speed) isn't the greatest, so I feel sluggish (Diddy also shares the air speed problem), and Luigi feels too floaty and loose for me. I tried out Sheik for this reason, and I'd say I'm okay with her, but I simply don't get any satisfaction from her fair chains. They don't feel satisfying to me.
Sorry if I sound picky or anything, but I have trouble sticking with one or two characters so I'm trying to find the best for me.
I guess I'm looking for a horizontally fast character with quick, straight-forward hitboxes. I'm afraid theres no other character in Smash like this with some other flaw I'll be stuck on, so maybe that's why I've had so much trouble with this. Funnily enough, Smash 4 is the only game I've played where I've had trouble finding a main.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Sinnoh Sinnoh Hmmm... Well, right off the bat, I was thinking :4feroy: or :4metaknight:, but you may not like the fact that Roy has very weak outer hitboxes due to the power of his blade being at the base (useful for combos, but not straight-forward enough perhaps), and Meta Knight isn't exactly fast in the air and his hitboxes still aren't necessarily what I'd call straight-forward, though his aerial attacks do come out very quickly. So, thinking of something sort of inbetween, would you consider :4lucina:? She's decently speedy on the ground and in the air, has quick aerials that are pretty straight-forward, and you don't have to worry so much about which part of her blade you hit your opponent with since it's equally strong throughout.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 I still say :4diddy: and either :4mario: or :4cloud2: for you (not both), just depending on who you find the most fun while still getting good results. I could only recommend :4jigglypuff: life (my life) to the most devoted fan, someone who enjoys challenge to the extreme, or a masochist. Thankfully, I seem to fit all three of those categories. Excuse me while I go sit alone in a dark corner.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Sinnoh Sinnoh :4metaknight::4feroy::4lucina: are good as knite said. Also :4zss::4cloud::4olimar: are who is suggest. Try them out and see what you think. :4lucina: Is floaty though so heads up.
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh thanks I'll try :4diddy:
:4mario:. Not :4cloud:since his recovery and grab game suck and I like Mario more. I will keep cloud as an idea though incase Mario fails me again. I am still open to ideas other than :4diddy::4mario: if anyone has insight. The left over few are :4kirby::4mewtwo::4ness::4sheik:.

Sinnoh

Smash Rookie
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh I just tried them out. I've always thought about Meta Knight but he hasn't clicked yet (juggling is fun tho) and Roy has a really nice horizontal game, but I'm just not a big fan of his sword properties. I tried Lucina again and I'm actually really liking her. Before I haven't given her a fair chance because I've always viewed her as a worse Marth for people who can't space, but I genuinely like the feel of her. She's fast horizontally and has some of the most straight-forward moves in the game.

And Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 I see Lucina's floatiness but I think her horizontal speed makes up for it, and I can fastfall well. ZSS is another that just hasn't clicked with me maybe do to her reliance on grabs, and I don't enjoy Olimar's Pikmin mechanics. I've always liked Cloud with his quick moves but I have the common problems with him such as recovery and constant need to charge down-b.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep on experimenting.

Sinnoh Sinnoh :4metaknight: is the king of low lag and has sensible hitboxes. :4yoshi: would be another option, but he is an acquired taste, having the highest air speed in the game, and fast, but difficult aerials.
Stylish pQuesadilla Stylish pQuesadilla You could solo main any of those characters if you wanted to. I place :4pit: pretty low on my personal list, so don't ask me about him. If you want an easy, safe, and effective character with a more established metagame, :4ness: is a great start. And though she is difficult, :rosalina: covers \Ness's bad matchups, so you could use her as a secondary.

Last edited:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hiya! Do :4corrinf::4littlemac::4luigi::4peach::4sheik::4tlink: all struggle in any particular matchups? I've been having fun and sucess with these 6, and really feel like they are "the ones" Thanks!

Last edited:

Stylish pQuesadilla

Smash Rookie
I'd say :4pit: since he's in the same boat as Mario kinda. Atleast to start you off. Otherwise :4rob: is a great choice. :4tlink: Is a character who requires a lot of knowledge on the game and himself and isn't the best choice for beginners. :rosalina::4pikachu: Are similar to that. :4ness: Is easy to pick up so he's another great option. :4sonic: Isn't as easy but he's not super hard so if you can learn the tech then he'll be great. So your best choices are :4mario::4ness::4pit::4rob::4sonic: to start you off. Although if you wanna get started early and can deal with using a hard to master character than you can defiantly :rosalina: and in time be a very formidable foe since she's most likely #1 in the game.

Ok,I'll use pit and ness for the early stages and constantly work on my rosalina. And I'll try out R.O.B. out,too. Also, how do you get those character icons?

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
I've been using:4bayonetta2: a lot lately and I don't know if she still fits the play style that I like (or frankly ever did). I realized that I like characters who have the following attributes:

Aerial Rushdown (i.e. air combos that are more than just a couple hits), but slightly defensive on the ground.

No tether grab

Not too technical (but a little tech is fine)

Highish learning curve (I find I get bored easily with easy characters)

A multi hitting nair or a nair that hits all around them.

Are there any characters that have all of these attributes? If so please tell me.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Corrin has a lot of those, actually. First character I thought of. Mostly aerial combos that can be 3-4 hits long, big nair that hits on both sides, generally aerial focused gameplay. Wouldn't call their style rushdown, but Corrin's moves threaten a lot of space so he can definitely put pressure on his opponent by existing in a space near them.

Edit: Actually Bayonetta fits those criteria pretty darn well. I'd say keep going with her.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I've been using:4bayonetta2: a lot lately and I don't know if she still fits the play style that I like (or frankly ever did). I realized that I like characters who have the following attributes:

Aerial Rushdown (i.e. air combos that are more than just a couple hits), but slightly defensive on the ground.

No tether grab

Are there any characters that have all of these attributes? If so please tell me.
:4corrin::4falco::4lucina::4marth::4mewtwo::4gaw::4darkpit::4pit::4rob::rosalina::4sonic: Are the ones I could think of like that

Last edited:

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet

No tether grab

I forgot to mention that I would also like someone who isn't top tier, is not too fast (or too slow), and someone that does not have to much trouble killing.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I forgot to mention that I would also like someone who isn't top tier, is not too fast (or too slow), and someone that does not have to much trouble killing.
The only top tiers I mentioned were :4corrin::4mewtwo::rosalina::4sonic:. The highest after that is rob and pit being high tier. Otherwise :4darkpit::4falco::4lucina::4marth::4gaw::4rob::4zelda: Sound like what you're looking for. I did just add Zelda btw... Also :4dedede::4miibrawl:. :4villager: Also fits this but he is a top tier though he's on the bottom of top tier. Almost the high of high tier instead.

ICY

Smash Rookie
Back here, sorry for not responding, 17th using :4marth:(eliminated by Pfo:4sonic:, 2nd in the tourney, the best Sonic main in Spain and Death_Alex:4zss::4metaknight:, top player who was the best Brawl player in Spain, both from Madrid lol)

A :4diddy:(Marcbri) won the tourney and a :4sonic:(Pfo) got 2nd

In my region there are a lot of players with different characters (and usually the one who mades top8 are characters like:4sheik::4fox::4rob::4mario::4zss::4cloud::4dedede::4villager::4pacman::4corrin::4palutena::4sonic::4bowser:...)

Maybe i'll start using :4shulk:since he has good range (and spacing) his monado arts are perfect for mixups and i think he's not that bad, gotta go to the lab more for this character

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
My suggestion still stands, then. Corrin is NOT top tier. Bayonetta is possibly high tier, but not top tier. Neither is particularly fast, either.

Well, you're looking at :4falco:. Pretty slow-moving, but if you really need to get around fast, use side special.
:4corrin: plays similarly (also gets around using side special), but trades out a strong offstage game and vertical airspeed for longer range and stun moves.
You could go with anyone on Nice's list (except :4zelda:, probably too slow for you), but they seem to be what you're seeking.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Update on me; I did drop :4kirby: to a for fun character. But I adopted :4lucario: since he's amazing and really fun. But I'm still in the search. Knite recommend :4diddy::4mario: and while looking at them I can't say I'm set on using these two. Maybe just not together? Idk so I'm still open to ideas. I'm looking at :4mario::4diddy::4sheik::4lucario::4ness::4mewtwo:.

Edit: I might drop :4mario: again since I'm never sure about him.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Been off and on between :4corrin:, :4marth:(My first main, ironically),:4myfriends:, and :4mewtwo:. Any suggestions?

BTW, for playstyle....I guess you could say I prefer having a good footsies game and all that.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
How many do you want to use? If 1 then go :4mewtwo:or:4corrin:. If 2 then that's a different story. If you want results go with those two. If you use 2 then you only need to use 1 of those 2 to get results. :4myfriends::4corrin: Is a pretty good pair despite the lack of speed. In which case you could switch in :4mewtwo: for speed. :4mewtwo::4marth: Is a pretty good duo since :4marth: can handle the heavies for Mewtwo

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Mewtwo, Marth, and Ike are all good at footsies. Marth and Mewtwo are a bit better I think because of movement speed. Marth has the fastest walk in the game, and a number of good buttons. Mewtwo has like, 2 or 3 stupid good moves, a command grab, and strong projectiles, a reflector, and one of the strongest kill throws in the game. Marth might be a bit more consistent because he's not a glass cannon, and he is purely zoning/footsies. Hard call. Maybe try them all a while and see who keeps you more interested. They are all pretty strong characters, too.

You might also want to try Greninja, as I have heard him described as a footsies character. And then there's Ryu, the footsies king. He is all about playing patient and pressing the right button at the right time.

Top Bottom