• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Also, I plan on picking up mewtwo, so what do you guy think is a good secondary for him?
Sorry about the double post

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
If you're looking for a fast character and someone other than Yoshi, C. Falcon is the way to go.

R.O.B. is a mid-heavy weight character with a good recovery and all the tools he needs to force other characters to approach him. He controls space very well with Gyros and the Robo Beam, and he even has a reflector of his own with the Robo Copter Arm (that's what I like to call it). So if you like characters who are "kind of defensive," R.O.B. is there.
thank you, ive been considering both falcon and peach, aswell as rob off main. i do like the speed and somewhat safety of falcon though, aswell as the disrespect factor.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Warning Received
Hello, I have been playing Smash 4 on the 3DS since its release and have had a lot of experience using different characters, I generally like to play as Dr. Mario/ Mario but I often have a tendancy to switch characters for fun. Im stuggling to decide on a secondary and was wondering if anyone had any advice on who to chose, obviously the main point of a secondary is to act as a counter in a bad match up so is there anyone that you guys can suggest I use?
hey dude! one of mario's main weaknesses is characters who out range him, such as marth, link, shulk, etc. a good counter to these characters is someone with great rushdown potential, such a C. Falcon or sonic. also greninja. greninja can really help you get in on characters due to his great speed, combo potential, and water shuriken followups, which he can also camp pretty well with. he is very good at applying pressure, has good range with disjointed hitboxes on all of his smashes, Fair, and Nair, and can gimp so well (up b is so fun to use!). He can also get in very well on people for surprise KO's with shadow sneak! if someone tries to edgeguard you, shadow sneak, and kill them the same way they tried to KO you! he is overall a great rushdown character with good options and a great projectile. good luck dude!

Last edited:

Redhatdude2

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3473-8243
I've been playing the game for awhile now just sort of playing who I feel like but I feel like its time I finally to settle on a main playing around for awhile I've deemed some of the qualities I like in characters. one decent projectile, a decent dash attack and dash grab, a spike and not a lot of nitty gritty tech. I would love to hear some recommendations for who I should main for the rest of my days.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've been playing the game for awhile now just sort of playing who I feel like but I feel like its time I finally to settle on a main playing around for awhile I've deemed some of the qualities I like in characters. one decent projectile, a decent dash attack and dash grab, a spike and not a lot of nitty gritty tech. I would love to hear some recommendations for who I should main for the rest of my days.
It sounds like you want R.O.B.. While I'm not sure how much tech he has right now, he fits all the other descriptions pretty well from what I know about him.

y00shi

Smash Rookie
Hi, I am a total beginner to the Smash series and to this forum. I got Smash for my 3DS very recently, not played previously and have been practicing against the CPU and in Training mode with Zero Suit Samus. I watched some video tutorials on her and also some games played by good players.

I have enjoyed ZSS even though I gathered that she is maybe not the best character for a n00b, still I've improved much (not saying I am any good, just a little less very terrible).

Can you guys suggest a couple of complement characters for me, being a total beginner to Smash and all. What I am asking is, as I play ZSS what characters are different enough to give me a better overall Smash skill, as in allowing me to pick any character and being "ok" with them after learning these characters.

I am thinking there are maybe 3 different main styles (? or more or less), so a couple of suggested characters for the "two" styles that are not ZSS styles to make me a better overall player. I am thinking these would become my alt. mains or secondary characters.

Also I would be really happy if the suggestions also cover bad matchups to ZSS, that is, the suggestions are good matchups against characters that are bad matchups for ZSS.

Sorry for the rambling, noob here, looking forward to your expertise and let me know if I make any forum faux pas-es here.

Thanks!

Thaledge

Smash Rookie
hey dude! one of mario's main weaknesses is characters who out range him, such as marth, link, shulk, etc. a good counter to these characters is someone with great rushdown potential, such a C. Falcon or sonic. also greninja. greninja can really help you get in on characters due to his great speed, combo potential, and water shuriken followups, which he can also camp pretty well with. he is very good at applying pressure, has good range with disjointed hitboxes on all of his smashes, Fair, and Nair, and can gimp so well (up b is so fun to use!). good luck dude!
Thanks man, I
hey dude! one of mario's main weaknesses is characters who out range him, such as marth, link, shulk, etc. a good counter to these characters is someone with great rushdown potential, such a C. Falcon or sonic. also greninja. greninja can really help you get in on characters due to his great speed, combo potential, and water shuriken followups, which he can also camp pretty well with. he is very good at applying pressure, has good range with disjointed hitboxes on all of his smashes, Fair, and Nair, and can gimp so well (up b is so fun to use!). good luck dude!
Thanks for the advice man, I really like Greninja and have a lot of play time using him so I was thinking the same myself, really thankful for the help :)

Locke17

Smash Rookie
I can't decide who to truly focus on between :4myfriends:(Most played),:4ness:,:4falcon:,:4samus:,:4greninja:, :4zss:. What I like about these characters are their aerial games. Other than Ike, everyone else is pretty mobile in the air, and I like playing footsies with all of them. Oddly, aerial based characters like :4jigglypuff: don't really interest me. Also I like to switch between defensive and rushdown playstyles very drastically. I guess something similar to how I play Guile in street fighter. Anyone have any recommendations?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
My mains consist of:
:4drmario::4lucina::4ness::4lucario::4kirby:(Primaries)
:4darkpit::4robinf:(Seconds)

I play other characters but not as consistently. But that's not the point. Just curious as to whether there's another character I really need to pick up. Not that there should be, I think that my characters weaknesses are pretty much covered by eachother but just curious anyway

iCaptainn

Smash Rookie
His recovery is sketchy as I have to time the thunder thing to make sure I can zip back on the stage. And I have no idea how to actually kill things when on the ground. Just seems like his magic tricks are gimmicky and once I get close to something he's very mediocre. Plus he seems slow.

I want to like him, but he's just a bit rough.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
My mains are: :4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob::4shulk::4pacman:
And secondaries are::4robinm::4yoshi:
Basically if you want to pick a main, figure out what playstyle your into. I like to classify playstyles into 5 categories:

Aggro: These characters have great attacking prowess and can quickly rack up damage. Some of these aggro characters dont have good recovery( Little Mac says hi) but make up for it with good ground moves. Examples: :4marth: :4lucario::4metaknight:

Ranged: These characters like projectiles a lot, and prefer to battle from afar. These characters might not have a good melee game but threaten to KO with projectile spam. Examples::4fox::4ness::4megaman:

Tricky: These characters have several gimmicks and unique playstyles that tend to force your opponent into playing your game. These characters can be anything, from light to heavy and fast to ssbb ganon slow. Examples are::4gaw::4kirby::4shulk:

Tank: Tanks can take a lot of damage. They may be slow, but they can take hits like a champ. They can also deal a lot of damage, but with one exception, if youre knocked off, you want to get on fast. Examples are::4rob:(Le exception):4ganondorf::4bowser:

All Around: These characters can combine one or more playstyles into one character. They may have projectiles and be tricky, or be agressively tanky,etc. Examples are::4mario::4luigi::4sonic:
Thats what my categories are, hope this helped
EDIT: categorized all characters
Aggro::4falcon::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4wario:
All Around::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4link::4luigi::4mario::4mewtwo::4miisword::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::4pit::4pikachu::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi:
Tank::4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4rob:
Tricky::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4gaw::4olimar::rosalina::4sheik::4shulk:
Ranged::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4lucas::4megaman::4miigun::4ness::4robinm::4samus::4zelda::4zss:
Hope this helped
:201g::201o::201o::201d: :201l::201u::201c::201k:
Good Luck

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
His recovery is sketchy as I have to time the thunder thing to make sure I can zip back on the stage. And I have no idea how to actually kill things when on the ground. Just seems like his magic tricks are gimmicky and once I get close to something he's very mediocre. Plus he seems slow.

To start, try not to go for pk Thunder if you don't have to, because Ness's second jump actually covers a lot of distance. Back throw is an excellent kill option with Ness, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with that. A lot of his aerials are very good approach options and Nair is so fast you can use it for punishing up close and escaping some combos. My advice would be to take up a character with a good recovery to back you up if Ness's recovery is a problem for you, but most people will not go to edgeguard against up B because of its ridiculous kill power. If you really want to improve with ness, I would also suggest taking a look at LoF Nakat's Ness guide on YouTube. He's the best ness I know is out there

Last edited:

y00shi

Smash Rookie
Basically if you want to pick a main, figure out what playstyle your into. I like to classify playstyles into 5 categories:

Aggro: These characters have great attacking prowess and can quickly rack up damage. Some of these aggro characters dont have good recovery( Little Mac says hi) but make up for it with good ground moves. Examples: :4marth: :4lucario::4metaknight:

Ranged: These characters like projectiles a lot, and prefer to battle from afar. These characters might not have a good melee game but threaten to KO with projectile spam. Examples::4fox::4ness::4megaman:

Tricky: These characters have several gimmicks and unique playstyles that tend to force your opponent into playing your game. These characters can be anything, from light to heavy and fast to ssbb ganon slow. Examples are::4gaw::4kirby::4shulk:

Tank: Tanks can take a lot of damage. They may be slow, but they can take hits like a champ. They can also deal a lot of damage, but with one exception, if youre knocked off, you want to get on fast. Examples are::4rob:(Le exception):4ganondorf::4bowser:

All Around: These characters can combine one or more playstyles into one character. They may have projectiles and be tricky, or be agressively tanky,etc. Examples are::4mario::4luigi::4sonic:
Thats what my categories are, hope this helped
EDIT: categorized all characters
Aggro::4falcon::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4wario:
All Around::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4link::4luigi::4mario::4mewtwo::4miisword::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::4pit::4pikachu::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi:
Tank::4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4rob:
Tricky::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4gaw::4olimar::rosalina::4sheik::4shulk:
Ranged::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4lucas::4megaman::4miigun::4ness::4robinm::4samus::4zelda::4zss:

That is a great writeup, for me as a new player. Seeing as I have no previous experience with Smash Bros, does it make sense for me to practice with one character from each category to get a good basic level of Smash proficiency, in terms of learning the basics?

I recently got Smash 3DS (first time playing Smahs like I said) and played with ZSS and also started playing Yoshi some (obviously). What character (or two) would make most sense to add to that list for me to practice, both in regards of general smash skill building, but also as a counter to bad matchups for ZSS and Yoshi?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That is a great writeup, for me as a new player. Seeing as I have no previous experience with Smash Bros, does it make sense for me to practice with one character from each category to get a good basic level of Smash proficiency, in terms of learning the basics?

I recently got Smash 3DS (first time playing Smahs like I said) and played with ZSS and also started playing Yoshi some (obviously). What character (or two) would make most sense to add to that list for me to practice, both in regards of general smash skill building, but also as a counter to bad matchups for ZSS and Yoshi?
You could pick up a third, but really it's probably best to stick with one or two.

As for match ups, can't help too much with Yoshi, and despite being ZSS main myself, I can't help too much with that as well. As far as I know though, aside from Diddy, none of them should be too bad that ZSS outright loses.

Throbinhood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kumabani
Hey everyone, I have a question about having a main character.
Does it just click?

I just got Smash not too long ago on the WiiU and decided I wanted to try and get to competitive play, the first advice I got was to pick a main and get very good with that one character.
I tossed around a bit through characters but Falco just kind of makes sense to me. I don't know if its because I have a playstyle that matches his but something just feels right about him, I don't really have to think too hard about what his moves do, which I usually had to do with other characters. Is it normal to have it just click like that and should I keep trying to play all of the cast or just stick to him?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Does it just click?

I just got Smash not too long ago on the WiiU and decided I wanted to try and get to competitive play, the first advice I got was to pick a main and get very good with that one character.
I tossed around a bit through characters but Falco just kind of makes sense to me. I don't know if its because I have a playstyle that matches his but something just feels right about him, I don't really have to think too hard about what his moves do, which I usually had to do with other characters. Is it normal to have it just click like that and should I keep trying to play all of the cast or just stick to him?
It's normal. Simply put, you should enjoy playing your main.

Most people have 2-3 mains, so I do suggest experimenting with the rest alongside practising Falco.

:231:

DoctorKitsune

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone! I've been playing Smash Bros. for a while now, but I've never been particularly good at it. I'm looking to get better, and was wondering if anyone would be able to give be some advice for mains/secondaries. I've been practicing as Peach (Because floating is fun!), but I don't know enough about her matchups to have any idea who else would be a good compliment to her.

Preferably, I'd like someone who isn't too complex since there's so much I have to learn for Peach. Other than her, I've played a little bit as Luigi, Link, Lucina, and Lucario. (So many L's! Didn't realize that until just now.) Would continuing with any of them be a good idea?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Hello, everyone! I've been playing Smash Bros. for a while now, but I've never been particularly good at it. I'm looking to get better, and was wondering if anyone would be able to give be some advice for mains/secondaries. I've been practicing as Peach (Because floating is fun!), but I don't know enough about her matchups to have any idea who else would be a good compliment to her.

Preferably, I'd like someone who isn't too complex since there's so much I have to learn for Peach. Other than her, I've played a little bit as Luigi, Link, Lucina, and Lucario. (So many L's! Didn't realize that until just now.) Would continuing with any of them be a good idea?
If you enjoy the character, any of them are good to continue with. Tier-wise, Luigi is certainly the best of those others, but Lucina and Lucario are two of my mains and I think that they are not bad. Lucario is a character you should be careful not to be KO'd first as, so keep that in mind if you want to stay with him. Luigi has tons of great kill and combo options, if you decide to play him often. As for Lucina, she can be difficult if you aren't very good at defensive a playstyle. Link is a big zoning character, and I think he is great in the hands of people who actually know his play (I don't, so don't ask me). I think you should keep with all 5 of the characters you mentioned. I have 5 big mains as well, and there is no problem with that. Especially since none of your characters are extremely bad, I think that you should continue with all of them. My advice: take learning one character at a time though. Learn your Peach techniques first and then start learning one of "the four L's." Good luck! Maybe we'll play sometime

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Does it just click?

If you like Falco and he makes sense to you, then stick with him for sure. Learn playing as him in and out.

It's never a bad thing to experiment on the side with other characters though, even if you end up not feeling them as main/secondary/pocket character material. You'll be happy to do this when you encounter that character, as you won't be surprised and will be familiar with what they can do.

Imo, you shouldn't worry about MUs yet if you're just in the process of learning Peach. That knowledge comes as you play and read/contribute/ask questions in the her character forum. Check out the Peach MU discussion thread if you're curious though:

http://smashboards.com/forums/peach.409/

Do your best with Peach first, then focus on another character if you feel you need someone else.

My two cents: If you want an easier to play character than Peach, Luigi is a good choice.

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Been maining Diddy the entire time I've been playing Smash 4. Getting a little bored of him. Been testing a lot of characters, Falcon, Fox and most recently Pikachu and Falco. I like Pika, but he can't kill which I dislike. I'm having fun playing Falco, but I feel if I start to 'main' him I'll realize he's not worth playing. I'm used to playing characters who're good - Wolf in PM and Fox in Melee. So I'm not too sure where to go from here, sometimes I think I like a character, then after a week of playing them I get bored.

iCaptainn

Smash Rookie
Lol you sound like me. I've honesty mained Diddy since the start and enjoy his game, but now that he's nerfed a bit I think it's just in my head that he's not at solid as before so I play diff. But I think I'm getting bored of the same ole same ole.

Fox has the speed and enjoyable combos I'm starting to grow accustomed to, so might work on getting familiar well with him.

Pikachu always destroys me,, but I can't destroy with it lol.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I have been maining Sonic for awhile and I thought I should pick up another main. I decided to go mewtwo so who would you guys think would be a good co-main to mewtwo, just avois heavyweights.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Been maining Diddy the entire time I've been playing Smash 4. Getting a little bored of him. Been testing a lot of characters, Falcon, Fox and most recently Pikachu and Falco. I like Pika, but he can't kill which I dislike. I'm having fun playing Falco, but I feel if I start to 'main' him I'll realize he's not worth playing. I'm used to playing characters who're good - Wolf in PM and Fox in Melee. So I'm not too sure where to go from here, sometimes I think I like a character, then after a week of playing them I get bored.
Pika is capable of getting the KO in the ground, it's in the air where he struggles getting it (unless Customs are on... Customs on Pikachu is disgustingly powerful).

Are you trying to decide on choosing someone else to play besides Diddy? If so, Fox, Pikachu and C. Falcon are all high tiered, good characters.

DoctorKitsune

Smash Rookie
If you enjoy the character, any of them are good to continue with. Tier-wise, Luigi is certainly the best of those others, but Lucina and Lucario are two of my mains and I think that they are not bad. Lucario is a character you should be careful not to be KO'd first as, so keep that in mind if you want to stay with him. Luigi has tons of great kill and combo options, if you decide to play him often. As for Lucina, she can be difficult if you aren't very good at defensive a playstyle. Link is a big zoning character, and I think he is great in the hands of people who actually know his play (I don't, so don't ask me). I think you should keep with all 5 of the characters you mentioned. I have 5 big mains as well, and there is no problem with that. Especially since none of your characters are extremely bad, I think that you should continue with all of them. My advice: take learning one character at a time though. Learn your Peach techniques first and then start learning one of "the four L's." Good luck! Maybe we'll play sometime
Alright, I'll keep trying to learn with all of them then! I'll probably work on Luigi first after I'm better as Peach, since he's the easiest of them for me to play. (I'd love to play sometime, but it'll probably have to wait until I'm good enough to actually beat the computers. I'm so bad at this game!)

Imo, you shouldn't worry about MUs yet if you're just in the process of learning Peach. That knowledge comes as you play and read/contribute/ask questions in the her character forum. Check out the Peach MU discussion thread if you're curious though:

http://smashboards.com/forums/peach.409/

Do your best with Peach first, then focus on another character if you feel you need someone else.

My two cents: If you want an easier to play character than Peach, Luigi is a good choice.
Yeah, it occurred to me that it's probably way too early to be worrying about matchups. Sadly enough, I'm probably better as Luigi than I am as Peach despite having much less practice as him. I'm not sure what it is - I might do better as Peach if I'd stop trying to do stuff I haven't gotten the hang of yet, but then I'll never learn it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone! :3

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
So my girlfriend can't decide who to main, she's leaning more towards Mewtwo, Rosaluma, Ness, Captain Falcon. I've done all I can to help her find a main and she just can't decide who to pick because she doesn't know her play style and she isn't the most smash savey. Also if this the wrong forum to go to can someone link me to the correct spot thank you in advance.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ PMMikey PMMikey moved your post to the Main Advice Thread. Additionally, it sometimes takes time to find a main. However, there are many questions she would need to ask herself. What are her goals with the game?

:227:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
@ PMMikey PMMikey moved your post to the Main Advice Thread. Additionally, it sometimes takes time to find a main. However, there are many questions she would need to ask herself. What are her goals with the game?

To beat me is her main goal. She plays pretty aggressively problem is she can't press the buttons fast enough to do even simple combos.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
To beat me is her main goal. She plays pretty aggressively problem is she can't press the buttons fast enough to do even simple combos.
From that list, I'd say she tends to like rather "floaty" characters? (Except for C. Falcon) Also, the next question to ask would be what would her favorite game be. Does any character from that particular game belong to the list of characters you told us? If so, she will probably enjoy playing as that character more. Additionally, if her goal is to defeat you then having a character that goes even or has a good match-up against your main should also be considered.

If she is having problems on input, it'd be best if she slowed her game pace down and slowly pick up once she starts getting better at inputs.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
From that list, I'd say she tends to like rather "floaty" characters? (Except for C. Falcon) Also, the next question to ask would be what would her favorite game be. Does any character from that particular game belong to the list of characters you told us? If so, she will probably enjoy playing as that character more. Additionally, if her goal is to defeat you then having a character that goes even or has a good match-up against your main should also be considered.

If she is having problems on input, it'd be best if she slowed her game pace down and slowly pick up once she starts getting better at inputs.

That's what I've been trying to tell her. Her favorite game is animal crossing, but can't play the campy style of villager.

I have to disagree, Ness's projectiles aren't the best for spamming. PKF has way too much lag, fox's projectile can't kill. Mega's well duh. Ness I see as an all around kind of character. Fox is definitely aggro.
@Fluttershyallie take notes.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
>Fox doesn't have a good melee game

Lmao wat. He has one of the best neutral games in the entirety of the game, possibly the 2nd best only behind Sheik's neutral game. His moves come out fast and his movement speed only benefits him in this regard.

He KOs with Usmash, Dsmash, Bair, Uair, and in customs he has the options to use Wolf Flash, Twisting Fox, or Charge Blaster. Out of all those, Charge Blaster is the only projectile that can KO, the rest are melee close range moves.

Fox doesn't threaten with his projectile unless he's in Customs On. He uses his lasers to pressure opponents who run away from him and to tack on damage after knocking then away. It's an "I'm gonna force you to get close to me" projectile.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I've been working on Yoshi as a tertiary for a while. I wanted to know if he's a good complement to Sonic and Falcon?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Late reply since I don't visit this thread much, but I suggest watching Nakat's explanation of Ness's recovery. Link: https://youtu.be/DhNH2N2nxHs.

KaDeYa

Smash Rookie
I think someone already asked this but I'll try changing it a bit.

Who's a good secondary for Sonic? By who, I mean what type of characters. Sonic has a hard time with projectiles so do I need a secondary who can deal with projectiles (Mario/Pit)? Or do I need a secondary who is just as fast? I just need a character who can handle Sonic's downsides.

Any list of characters you think could handle Sonic's bad/troublesome Match-Ups?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think someone already asked this but I'll try changing it a bit.

Who's a good secondary for Sonic? By who, I mean what type of characters. Sonic has a hard time with projectiles so do I need a secondary who can deal with projectiles (Mario/Pit)? Or do I need a secondary who is just as fast? I just need a character who can handle Sonic's downsides.

Any list of characters you think could handle Sonic's bad/troublesome Match-Ups?
I don't think Sonic has thaaat much trouble with projectiles. He has the speed to find ways around them and his ball forms can trade with projectiles like fireballs from Mario and Luigi.

If you're looking for a secondary to counter projectile playstyles though:
:4fox: - If you want to still play a character who moves fast and has a great ways of dealing with projectiles. His blaster can destroy all of Duck Hunt's explosives, for example, and he's also got a reflector.

:4villager::4villagerf: - If you want to play someone with a different playstyle altogether. They can KO from nearly anywhere: Lloyd rockets, Turnip aerials, Bowling balls from above, Axe up close, etc. They can lay traps onstage with the tree, which isn't only powerful upon sprouting but also hinders and limits the opponent's movement. They also can't be camped because of Pocket, and can even take other projectiles away and prevent them from spawning until Villager:
a) uses them
b) takes 30 sec. for the item to disappear from his/her pocket
Projectiles that can only be spawned once before using again, like Diddy's banana and Wario's bike, is what I'm talking about.

tl:dr, try Fox if you still wanna go fast, or try Villager if you want a different kind of movement style and play style.

KaDeYa

Smash Rookie
I don't think Sonic has thaaat much trouble with projectiles. He has the speed to find ways around them and his ball forms can trade with projectiles like fireballs from Mario and Luigi.

If you're looking for a secondary to counter projectile playstyles though:
:4fox: - If you want to still play a character who moves fast and has a great ways of dealing with projectiles. His blaster can destroy all of Duck Hunt's explosives, for example, and he's also got a reflector.

:4villager::4villagerf: - If you want to play someone with a different playstyle altogether. They can KO from nearly anywhere: Lloyd rockets, Turnip aerials, Bowling balls from above, Axe up close, etc. They can lay traps onstage with the tree, which isn't only powerful upon sprouting but also hinders and limits the opponent's movement. They also can't be camped because of Pocket, and can even take other projectiles away and prevent them from spawning until Villager:
a) uses them
b) takes 30 sec. for the item to disappear from his/her pocket
Projectiles that can only be spawned once before using again, like Diddy's banana and Wario's bike, is what I'm talking about.

tl:dr, try Fox if you still wanna go fast, or try Villager if you want a different kind of movement style and play style.
Agree on the Sonic and Projectile parts, I don't have much of a hard time against them, but they're sorta annoying to deal with, and I like to throw them back at them. B)

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave! Last time I tried Fox I got wrecked, but that's mainly because I'm not used to him (seriously, I used fair WAY too much) so I'll try him again some time.

And haven't played Villager much, so I'll check them out, I like they're upthrow.

Khp

Smash Rookie
I might be a little late to this but, I've been trying to be really good as Ganondorf but I still die to fast or I pure out miss the hits.
I mean yeah I can usually predict the other person's actions but when it comes to people using Sonic or Sheik, I don't stand a chance against them. :sadeyes: :4ganondorf:And also, I'm one of those people that want to be really good at ALL of the Characters.

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
So when does a "lot" of characters become "too many"? I've been liking several characters so far, a couple of them I've been familiar with since previous games, but I can't decide which ones would best complement each other and how many characters I should try to learn. I like characters that are speedy and/or aerial-based, or that allow for lots of creativity because of their moves. (And one that doesn't fit any of those categories but I like anyway for some reason.) They are:
Familiar (Not willing to drop these)::4pikachu::4tlink:
Familiar, but starting to second-guess: :4lucario:
Liking, but not entirely familiar with: :4luigi::4duckhunt::4kirby:

Help/Suggestions please?

Last edited:
Top Bottom