• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Hi all, glad I found this thread, I'm really looking forward to your help as I'm at my wits end lol.

What characters could you reccomend for a player that is coming from a 2D Fighter background?

I'am coming from Street Fighter 4/Mortal Kombat , and I'am trying to get into Smash.
My mains in Street Fighter are Dudley and Zangief.

My main playstyle in Street Fighter is to knock you down and mix you up on wake up. I really hate using projectiles as I never use them correctly, so I kind of rely on my character's presence to be a threat.

So far I'm liking Bowser, Palutena, and Sonic, but I can't seem to translate none of my Street Fighter experience through these characters.

Let me know if you need anything else, like a brief description on what or who Dudley or Zangief are to better narrow possible main choices for me.
Sonic can fit the Dudley role and Bowser, as a natural punisher, is similar to a grappler, like Zangief. Dudley could also fit with characters like C. Falcon and possibly Little Mac, depending on your playstyle. For the latter, I'd reccomend other heavyweights, like DK and Ganondorf to possibly fit your Zangief needs.

Last edited:

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
Jigs can punish Sonic's Homing attack with a rest if you are on the ground.

Depending on Sonic's placement either do a spot dodge or back roll and then jump into rest and BAM.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Hi all, glad I found this thread, I'm really looking forward to your help as I'm at my wits end lol.

What characters could you reccomend for a player that is coming from a 2D Fighter background?

I'am coming from Street Fighter 4/Mortal Kombat , and I'am trying to get into Smash.
My mains in Street Fighter are Dudley and Zangief.

My main playstyle in Street Fighter is to knock you down and mix you up on wake up. I really hate using projectiles as I never use them correctly, so I kind of rely on my character's presence to be a threat.

So far I'm liking Bowser, Palutena, and Sonic, but I can't seem to translate none of my Street Fighter experience through these characters.

Let me know if you need anything else, like a brief description on what or who Dudley or Zangief are to better narrow possible main choices for me.
It seems that you already found the characters that fit the playstyle you generally like playing. Both Palutena and Bowser could fit the roles of Zangief as they both have a great set of throws, have a lot of raw power, and are less combo heavy than the majority of the cast.

I am not as familiar with Dudley as I am with Zangief. Sonic, being a very mixup heavy character, probably feels similar to Dudley, but it will help to have a little bit more information on how he plays in order to help narrow down possible characters.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok, I am VERY new to Smash Forums, not the game though. I was having trouble choosing a main and a secondary, and even a third character(if that really is a thing, never had to use 3 mains).

In Smash 4, I like the playstyle of a ton of characters, but I narrowed my final list of potential mains.

Sonic, Rosalina, Shulk, Pikachu, and Robin.

I like all of these characters playstyles and find them very unique, but I just can't choose two. I feel I am more of a Rush down guy, but I also like the more of the strategy kind, like Rosalina and Robin. BTW if this helps decide, I mained Pikachu in Brawl, Roy in Melee, Sonic in Brawl, and Mewtwo in project M. Thank you, and if you recomend another character, just tell me I will try them out! Also, if you need more detail, just tell me as well.

EDIT: Also, add Mewtwo to that List

EDIT 2: Also when suggesting characters, try to make sure they cover their weaknesses

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Ok, I am VERY new to Smash Forums, not the game though. I was having trouble choosing a main and a secondary, and even a third character(if that really is a thing, never had to use 3 mains).

In Smash 4, I like the playstyle of a ton of characters, but I narrowed my final list of potential mains.

Sonic, Rosalina, Shulk, Pikachu, and Robin.

I like all of these characters playstyles and find them very unique, but I just can't choose two. I feel I am more of a Rush down guy, but I also like the more of the strategy kind, like Rosalina and Robin. BTW if this helps decide, I mained Pikachu in Brawl, Roy in Melee, Sonic in Brawl, and Mewtwo in project M. Thank you, and if you recomend another character, just tell me I will try them out! Also, if you need more detail, just tell me as well.

EDIT: Also, add Mewtwo to that List

EDIT 2: Also when suggesting characters, try to make sure they cover their weaknesses
from the sounds of things I think sonic would suit you. he is very good at unpredictable rushdown and he does have a little bit of a control element. also if you're willing to expand from your list I would suggest giving greninja and shiek a try. I can help with secondaries once you have decided on your main. hope this helped

Northstar

Smash Rookie
NNID
VulpineRaider
Hi, nooby scrublord here. Trying to actually get decent at the game this time, but I have trouble even choosing mains. I have already decided that I am going to have :4mewtwo: as one of them, but other than that I can't really decide on which ones to use. Some other characters I've been enjoying are :4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4falco::4myfriends::4luigi::4jigglypuff:, though I really struggle to land kill moves with Luigi and Jiggs.

How many characters is ideal for an inexperienced player to try to get good with? Is it too early to know which characters would cover Mewtwo's weaknesses? And how steep are the learning curves for these characters?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hi, nooby scrublord here. Trying to actually get decent at the game this time, but I have trouble even choosing mains. I have already decided that I am going to have :4mewtwo: as one of them, but other than that I can't really decide on which ones to use. Some other characters I've been enjoying are :4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4falco::4myfriends::4luigi::4jigglypuff:, though I really struggle to land kill moves with Luigi and Jiggs.

How many characters is ideal for an inexperienced player to try to get good with? Is it too early to know which characters would cover Mewtwo's weaknesses? And how steep are the learning curves for these characters?
You seem to have a preference towards heavy characters - :4bowser::4dk::4bowserjr::4myfriends:.

As someone who plays :4luigi: and a bit of :4falco:, they're not really steep. You can be competent with them as long as you know what you're doing. :4jigglypuff: is a little steep, as you need to learn how to land Rest consistently to be good with her.

Most people start with 2-3 characters, so you can fall back to another character in case your main has a bad match-up. As to which character can cover Mewtwo's weaknesses, try asking in the Mewtwo boards.

:231:

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
from the sounds of things I think sonic would suit you. he is very good at unpredictable rushdown and he does have a little bit of a control element. also if you're willing to expand from your list I would suggest giving greninja and shiek a try. I can help with secondaries once you have decided on your main. hope this helped

OK thanks, I think I have decided on Sonic being my main as I have had a ton of experience with him in both Brawl and Smash 4, even though both variations are different. I just need help with secondaries as I can't decide which one would best suit sonic.

EDIT:It dosen't have to be on the list that I made in my first post

Last edited:

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
Yoshi's become stale for me, i seem to like characters who are decently fast, kind of defensive and have alot of options, but not sonic. he annoys the crap out of me. i've recently been enjoying :4dk::4falco::4rob::4kirby::4falcon::4link:any recommendations?

thanks!
:147:

Last edited:

Northstar

Smash Rookie
NNID
VulpineRaider
You seem to have a preference towards heavy characters - :4bowser::4dk::4bowserjr::4myfriends:.

As someone who plays :4luigi: and a bit of :4falco:, they're not really steep. You can be competent with them as long as you know what you're doing. :4jigglypuff: is a little steep, as you need to learn how to land Rest consistently to be good with her.

Most people start with 2-3 characters, so you can fall back to another character in case your main has a bad match-up. As to which character can cover Mewtwo's weaknesses, try asking in the Mewtwo boards.

:231:
Thanks, I'll have a look around and continue to experiment with what feels best for me.
Much appreciated!

ImBroken

Smash Rookie
Just to caution some players who cannot seem to stick with someone.
Ignore what people say about a character you like to play, for example I main Lucario and my friends say how he rewards you for being bad and how broken he is. IGNORE THIS. Look at what you think makes the character great, for example I say that he is a high risk, high reward character and how his mechanics appeal to me. To summarize, constantly look at the good of your main while patching up their weaknesses and don't switch mains because someone thinks they are "broken" or "lame"

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hi everyone! so i am looking for a new secondary! my main is zero suit samus, and my secondary was zelda,but i find it hard to win with her, and i find her play style a bit restricting, so im switching! my friend mains ness, and i find it hard to approach him with zsuit, as i normally use the stun gun to approach, but he can heal with it, so i try not to use it as much, leaving me right where he needs me- at mid range, unable to get inside. We are extremely close in skill, but i would love a secondary, with a non-energy projectile who is fast and can zone break. I have tried greninja, but he feels a little too stiff, so he is one of my prospects right now. any suggestions? Thanks! msg me if you would like to do some 1v1's i play zsuit, zelda, ganondorf, and i am currently attempting greninja:)

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Hi Guys, I am looking for 2 secondaries for Sonic. I mentiioned this in a post above but I thought I would make it more formal. Above is a list of characters I LIKE to play as, but the secondaries don't have to be on that list as many characters I like are not on that list, like Sheik. Thank you in advance and thank you darktrickster101 for helping me decide my final main, a character I have used for a long, long time.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Hi everyone! so i am looking for a new secondary! my main is zero suit samus, and my secondary was zelda,but i find it hard to win with her, and i find her play style a bit restricting, so im switching! my friend mains ness, and i find it hard to approach him with zsuit, as i normally use the stun gun to approach, but he can heal with it, so i try not to use it as much, leaving me right where he needs me- at mid range, unable to get inside. We are extremely close in skill, but i would love a secondary, with a non-energy projectile who is fast and can zone break. I have tried greninja, but he feels a little too stiff, so he is one of my prospects right now. any suggestions? Thanks! msg me if you would like to do some 1v1's i play zsuit, zelda, ganondorf, and i am currently attempting greninja:)
Not so sure on the non-energy projectile since Ness's PK Magnet (Down B) isn't one of his most practical moves. If Greninja's feeling too stiff for you I suggest :4fox: or :4sheik:. Both of these characters have the criteria you're looking for and happen to be very good in this game. Just be careful when using them because Fox's recovery can be predictable and Sheik has a very hard time killing someone unless you gimp them real hard.

Hi Guys, I am looking for 2 secondaries for Sonic. I mentiioned this in a post above but I thought I would make it more formal. Above is a list of characters I LIKE to play as, but the secondaries don't have to be on that list as many characters I like are not on that list, like Sheik. Thank you in advance and thank you darktrickster101 for helping me decide my final main, a character I have used for a long, long time.
2 secondaries for Sonic hm. From the list you made I suggest :4pikachu: and :rosalina:. Pikachu plays similarly to Sonic in that he can zone break and run away when he has the chance but has a projectile and versatile recovery to make up for it. Rosalina on the other hand can help you with any projectile users you might have trouble with as Sonic thanks to her Gravitational Pull (Down B). For characters not on your list I suggest :4sheik: or :4falcon:. Since you like Sheik you should be able to like her the same way with Pikachu. As for Captain Falcon he just seems like another fast powerful character you could use together with Sonic.

I might need a recomindations for more mains

Heres who i got so far
:4mewtwo::4rob::4sonic::4lucina::4gaw::4duckhunt::4wario::4pacman::4greninja::4drmario::4mario::4falco:
Woah that's a lot of mains. You got floaty characters, speedy characters, heavy characters, combo characters, and jack of all trades. If you want to round out with more projectile/defensive based characters besides your Duck Hunt and Pac Man (correct me if the latter isn't defensive), then :4link: is a safe bet. He's fairly simple to use and shouldn't strain yourself much when you have this many characters to use already.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not so sure on the non-energy projectile since Ness's PK Magnet (Down B) isn't one of his most practical moves. If Greninja's feeling too stiff for you I suggest :4fox: or :4sheik:. Both of these characters have the criteria you're looking for and happen to be very good in this game. Just be careful when using them because Fox's recovery can be predictable and Sheik has a very hard time killing someone unless you gimp them real hard.

2 secondaries for Sonic hm. From the list you made I suggest :4pikachu: and :rosalina:. Pikachu plays similarly to Sonic in that he can zone break and run away when he has the chance but has a projectile and versatile recovery to make up for it. Rosalina on the other hand can help you with any projectile users you might have trouble with as Sonic thanks to her Gravitational Pull (Down B). For characters not on your list I suggest :4sheik: or :4falcon:. Since you like Sheik you should be able to like her the same way with Pikachu. As for Captain Falcon he just seems like another fast powerful character you could use together with Sonic.

Woah that's a lot of mains. You got floaty characters, speedy characters, heavy characters, combo characters, and jack of all trades. If you want to round out with more projectile/defensive based characters besides your Duck Hunt and Pac Man (correct me if the latter isn't defensive), then :4link: is a safe bet. He's fairly simple to use and shouldn't strain yourself much when you have this many characters to use already.
So link is the only one left to main then.

Its the ones i use the most by the way.

Kudos for a sugestion for more mains

Speaking of defense i got to learn how to shield and not quick/roll dodge all of the time

(For defensive and counter attack wise.)

Aphrenics

Smash Rookie
I made an account just to ask this question here, because I'm struggling. I come from a history of traditional 2D fighters, achieving mild success in my region in the games I played. I've recently decided to switch gears and start focusing on Sm4sh. I used to play a lot of melee (as a lot of people did), and I was ok at it. I was by far the best person in my area, but virtually garbage in comparison to actually good melee players. I mained Marth in Melee, and I got really used to him. For this reason, I've considered maining Lucina in Sm4sh, but I'm unsure if I can get used to her / him again after so many years of not playing.

I'm very unfamiliar with the mechanics in Sm4sh, so if any of my loose criteria doesn't make sense, I'd like to know that as well if someone would be so kind as to fill me in. I'm looking for someone that doesn't have a lot of punishable stuff. Or, I guess just has a lot of safe stuff. Easy hitboxes (none of this ZSS wiggly silly string blaster), maybe a good jab, and some stuff to do on the ground. I feel like I'd be more at home with a quick character, but not something so fast that it's impossible to control. For those who would know what to compare them to, my mains in previous games have been Cammy in SFIV, Seth in UNIEL, Testament in GGAC+R, and Axl in GG Xrd. Characters I've been looking at are Zelda, Lucina, Charizard, Sheik, and Lucario. Though I don't know how to actually even play Sm4sh, I'm really unsure as to whether or not those characters even have what I'm looking for. I would just love to pick a character and start improving from there. I'm not looking to get married to one right away, but having a good starting point would be rather nice!

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord

Thank you! I think I decide to run Sonic as my main and Rosalina, Falcon, and Shulk as my secondaries.(Shulk was recomended in the sonic thread to me. Thanks though with helping me!

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok, its me again and I have noticed that I can't deal with Diddy too well. Any Suggestions?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ Aphrenics Aphrenics

If you are new to Smash 4, I'd recommend starting with Mario. He is a very easy character to pick up and he is able to support nearly every playstyle, which makes it very easy for new players to learn the basics of the game with him.

Once you've learned how to play Mario, if you decide that he is boring and you would rather play another character like Lucina, then you will be able to make the jump between characters more easily.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Just to caution some players who cannot seem to stick with someone.
Ignore what people say about a character you like to play, for example I main Lucario and my friends say how he rewards you for being bad and how broken he is. IGNORE THIS. Look at what you think makes the character great, for example I say that he is a high risk, high reward character and how his mechanics appeal to me. To summarize, constantly look at the good of your main while patching up their weaknesses and don't switch mains because someone thinks they are "broken" or "lame"
Your username fits your post so:roll:perfectly.

It's good advice. Listening to other people depends on the person and their reliability. First and foremost you should make sure to look for evidence yourself.

I made an account just to ask this question here, because I'm struggling. I come from a history of traditional 2D fighters, achieving mild success in my region in the games I played. I've recently decided to switch gears and start focusing on Sm4sh. I used to play a lot of melee (as a lot of people did), and I was ok at it. I was by far the best person in my area, but virtually garbage in comparison to actually good melee players. I mained Marth in Melee, and I got really used to him. For this reason, I've considered maining Lucina in Sm4sh, but I'm unsure if I can get used to her / him again after so many years of not playing.

I'm very unfamiliar with the mechanics in Sm4sh, so if any of my loose criteria doesn't make sense, I'd like to know that as well if someone would be so kind as to fill me in. I'm looking for someone that doesn't have a lot of punishable stuff. Or, I guess just has a lot of safe stuff. Easy hitboxes (none of this ZSS wiggly silly string blaster), maybe a good jab, and some stuff to do on the ground. I feel like I'd be more at home with a quick character, but not something so fast that it's impossible to control. For those who would know what to compare them to, my mains in previous games have been Cammy in SFIV, Seth in UNIEL, Testament in GGAC+R, and Axl in GG Xrd. Characters I've been looking at are Zelda, Lucina, Charizard, Sheik, and Lucario. Though I don't know how to actually even play Sm4sh, I'm really unsure as to whether or not those characters even have what I'm looking for. I would just love to pick a character and start improving from there. I'm not looking to get married to one right away, but having a good starting point would be rather nice!
The concepts of Sm4sh are still the same as previous games: get your opponent off the stage and send them flying from one of the blast zones to achieve the KO. The differences in the game were added to ledge mechanics: you can no longer "hog the ledge" like you could in Melee or Brawl, but it is now possible to "steal the ledge" (or "ledgetrump") someone hanging on it. Additionally, regrabbing the ledge again does not restore invincibility unless you take damage and are forced to grab it again.

Shields have also received significant changes. Dropping the shield without being hit has 7 frames of dropping it. It is also significantly easier to break shields now, as many attacks deal large amounts of shield damage. On the other hand, shields regenerate much faster.

I'm not a competitive SF player, though I'm familiar with the characters. My idea of Cammy might not be accurate so let me know if I got something wrong: my general conception of Cammy is great movement options, great priority in her moves, and rapid assaults of attacks. Is this correct? If not, could you describe what you're looking for? Give me the general gameplan that you like to have in characters.

If I'm correct, :4zss: fits the ball perfectly, but if you don't like her Sheik :4sheik: is in your list and fits this description too.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

How about Pit? Marth (and Lucina by extension because their frame data is the same) lost his speed and range since Melee. Pit has fast and long-ranged aerials, good mobility, a great projectile, and a strong combo game. Only problems are that he has trouble getting KOs and approaching isn't really his thing, which is to say he's only decent at them.

If matchups are a concern, his only bad one is Lucario. Otherwise they're all managable.

Aphrenics

Smash Rookie
The concepts of Sm4sh are still the same as previous games: get your opponent off the stage and send them flying from one of the blast zones to achieve the KO. The differences in the game were added to ledge mechanics: you can no longer "hog the ledge" like you could in Melee or Brawl, but it is now possible to "steal the ledge" (or "ledgetrump") someone hanging on it. Additionally, regrabbing the ledge again does not restore invincibility unless you take damage and are forced to grab it again.

Shields have also received significant changes. Dropping the shield without being hit has 7 frames of dropping it. It is also significantly easier to break shields now, as many attacks deal large amounts of shield damage. On the other hand, shields regenerate much faster.

I'm not a competitive SF player, though I'm familiar with the characters. My idea of Cammy might not be accurate so let me know if I got something wrong: my general conception of Cammy is great movement options, great priority in her moves, and rapid assaults of attacks. Is this correct? If not, could you describe what you're looking for? Give me the general gameplan that you like to have in characters.

If I'm correct, :4zss: fits the ball perfectly, but if you don't like her Sheik :4sheik: is in your list and fits this description too.
Your idea of Cammy is pretty much correct, although the priority of her moves is actually not that good, which is why she lives for the knockdown. It's interesting that you mention those two characters, because they are two characters I was looking at, but they seem very hard to control. The two things I'm concerned about are: Are those characters particularly good? I ask not because I want to play top tier, but because I'm actually really used to playing pretty sub par characters, and actually prefer playing underrepresented characters. Mostly I just hate mirror matches. Also, I've read that Sheik has some problems securing the KO without gimping pretty hard. This is mostly only a problem for me because I'm still uncomfortable with taking the fight off the ledge. How true is this, and how does she go about getting the KO? ZSS I know how to KO with, but hit confirming into up special is kinda Tonka tough for me.

Last edited:

Aphrenics

Smash Rookie
How about Pit? Marth (and Lucina by extension because their frame data is the same) lost his speed and range since Melee. Pit has fast and long-ranged aerials, good mobility, a great projectile, and a strong combo game. Only problems are that he has trouble getting KOs and approaching isn't really his thing, which is to say he's only decent at them.

If matchups are a concern, his only bad one is Lucario. Otherwise they're all managable.
Pit is someone I didn't really look at much. Maybe I'll try him out for a bit too. Thanks for the suggestion!

As a side note, if Marth lost his speed and range (the two things I was convinced were his strengths), what reason is there to play him / Lucina? They don't seem like particularly powerful characters to me, so if they lost that then what's left? What are they good at?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit is someone I didn't really look at much. Maybe I'll try him out for a bit too. Thanks for the suggestion!

As a side note, if Marth lost his speed and range (the two things I was convinced were his strengths), what reason is there to play him / Lucina? They don't seem like particularly powerful characters to me, so if they lost that then what's left? What are they good at?
Marth's speed is now pretty average, and his range is still pretty good but not great like it was. His KO power is pretty good though. If you want something more specific I'd check the Marth forums. As far as overall placement goes, people tend to put the two real low.

Pit's also a rare character, while Shiek and ZSS are pretty common.

And uh, avoid double posts like that. You can reply to multiple people at once.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Your idea of Cammy is pretty much correct, although the priority of her moves is actually not that good, which is why she lives for the knockdown. It's interesting that you mention those two characters, because they are two characters I was looking at, but they seem very hard to control. The two things I'm concerned about are: Are those characters particularly good? I ask not because I want to play top tier, but because I'm actually really used to playing pretty sub par characters, and actually prefer playing underrepresented characters. Mostly I just hate mirror matches. Also, I've read that Sheik has some problems securing the KO without gimping pretty hard. This is mostly only a problem for me because I'm still uncomfortable with taking the fight off the ledge. How true is this, and how does she go about getting the KO? ZSS I know how to KO with, but hit confirming into up special is kinda Tonka tough for me.
Ah, okay. Yeah, both are not easy to control, but if you want movement options and rapid assaults of attacks, both Sheik and ZSS are good at that.

You're right about Sheik :4sheik:, she has a tough time getting the KO - more than ever now that they nerfed her Back air with the new patch. She now needs to secure the KO offstage for sure, though she can somewhat mitigate herself going offstage since she has Needles and Burst Grenades to control space offstage. She goes about getting the KO with Bouncing Fish (Down-B), U-smash (the tip of her hands are very powerful), or offstage with Back air (which got nerfed). The first hit of her Vanish UpB is also very strong, though this takes a read. Up-air can KO at high percents off the top blast zone, but that's if you're at high percent yourself (this game has rage, present in Tekken, which increases Knock back in moves if you're at high damage).

Zero Suit :4zss: can KO offstage or onstage, her options are varied and she can carry the opponent either sideways or up towards the top blast zone, or simply end them right then and there. Flip Jump can hit opponents automatically once you are on top of them, she'll bury them in the ground making it easier to connect the UpB. This works offstage for spiking the opponent downwards too. Her Paralyzer neutral-B and Down-smash help trap her opponent and set up these opportunities for her. Her other KO moves are Back air and Forward smash.

Both Sheik and Zero Suit are top tier characters, a majority of the smashers here will agree with me on that. They are tough to use, but their reward is well worth it. This also means that Zero Suit and Sheik are well represented by a lot of players, so if that's not what you're looking for, then read on.

If you're looking for a more unrepresented character that can still win you games, :4lucario: is on your list. He's by no means a bad character, but did receive significant end lag to his moveset in this game which made some former players quit him or keep him as a secondary instead. Lucario's gets Aura, which is a magnified version of the Rage mechanic: the more at a disadvantage he is, the more damage and knockback his moves deal. Also applies with stock disadvantages. He attacks with Aura, the blue fire in his moves, which gets bigger the more damage he has (meaning his range also increases with more damage). He does require commitment though: his attacks have significant startup and notable ending lag, but are otherwise powerful and disjointed with the flame at the end of his moves.

If you would prefer someone who has better movement but is still under-represented, I suggest looking at :4greninja:. His neutral game is a tad slow, but he has good mobility and very high jumps that let him chase opponents in a lot of directions.

I suggest checking out the character boards for these two.

:4pit: isn't represented too much but everyone agrees he is solid.

His multiple jumps means he can safely take to the skies if you feel overwhelmed onstage, and also makes recovering pretty much guaranteed especially with an Up-B that covers a lot of distance. So if you're not comfortable with being offstage yet, his multiple jumps and long recovery should leave you at ease. He gets disjointed range with his dual swords, which is always a good thing to have so he can keep safe distance from his opponent in the melee.

By extension, if you get comfortable with Pit, you shouldn't have much trouble switching between him and :4darkpit:. Their differences are in knockback, their arrow projectiles, and their SideB arm attacks.

:4lucina: basically is an easier Marth, she doesn't require to align the tip of her sword to get the most out of her. :4marth: in the end is harder to use but better than her though.

Marth wasn't changed much in terms of moveset, but numerically he was gutted: he can not auto cancel his moves freely like he used to before, his neutral game (ie, "A" moves or standard moves) has notable lag now in a lot of his moves, his jab deals little knockback to make it worth using, and his throw game is among the worst now.

They do have good movement, however, among the fastest dashing and walking speeds in the game, and their range is still disjointed. They just don't allow for a lot of error, since the ending lag in their moves leaves them very exposed.

tl:dr,
:4zss::4sheik: are top tiers with great movement, but tough to use and represented a lot.
:4greninja::4lucario: are mid tiers who aren't represented too much, but still have solid movement while having good KO power.
:4pit::4darkpit: are not represented a whole lot either and have multiple jumps to leave you at ease if you find yourself offstage.
:4lucina::4marth: got gutted in this game with lag to their moves, though their mobility itself is still good.

IMO, if you want unrepresented characters with good mobility options that will still let you win, I suggest Lucario, Greninja, or the Pits.

Aphrenics

Smash Rookie
Ah, okay. Yeah, both are not easy to control, but if you want movement options and rapid assaults of attacks, both Sheik and ZSS are good at that.

You're right about Sheik :4sheik:, she has a tough time getting the KO - more than ever now that they nerfed her Back air with the new patch. She now needs to secure the KO offstage for sure, though she can somewhat mitigate herself going offstage since she has Needles and Burst Grenades to control space offstage. She goes about getting the KO with Bouncing Fish (Down-B), U-smash (the tip of her hands are very powerful), or offstage with Back air (which got nerfed). The first hit of her Vanish UpB is also very strong, though this takes a read. Up-air can KO at high percents off the top blast zone, but that's if you're at high percent yourself (this game has rage, present in Tekken, which increases Knock back in moves if you're at high damage).

Zero Suit :4zss: can KO offstage or onstage, her options are varied and she can carry the opponent either sideways or up towards the top blast zone, or simply end them right then and there. Flip Jump can hit opponents automatically once you are on top of them, she'll bury them in the ground making it easier to connect the UpB. This works offstage for spiking the opponent downwards too. Her Paralyzer neutral-B and Down-smash help trap her opponent and set up these opportunities for her. Her other KO moves are Back air and Forward smash.

Both Sheik and Zero Suit are top tier characters, a majority of the smashers here will agree with me on that. They are tough to use, but their reward is well worth it. This also means that Zero Suit and Sheik are well represented by a lot of players, so if that's not what you're looking for, then read on.

If you're looking for a more unrepresented character that can still win you games, :4lucario: is on your list. He's by no means a bad character, but did receive significant end lag to his moveset in this game which made some former players quit him or keep him as a secondary instead. Lucario's gets Aura, which is a magnified version of the Rage mechanic: the more at a disadvantage he is, the more damage and knockback his moves deal. Also applies with stock disadvantages. He attacks with Aura, the blue fire in his moves, which gets bigger the more damage he has (meaning his range also increases with more damage). He does require commitment though: his attacks have significant startup and notable ending lag, but are otherwise powerful and disjointed with the flame at the end of his moves.

If you would prefer someone who has better movement but is still under-represented, I suggest looking at :4greninja:. His neutral game is a tad slow, but he has good mobility and very high jumps that let him chase opponents in a lot of directions.

I suggest checking out the character boards for these two.

:4pit: isn't represented too much but everyone agrees he is solid.

His multiple jumps means he can safely take to the skies if you feel overwhelmed onstage, and also makes recovering pretty much guaranteed especially with an Up-B that covers a lot of distance. So if you're not comfortable with being offstage yet, his multiple jumps and long recovery should leave you at ease. He gets disjointed range with his dual swords, which is always a good thing to have so he can keep safe distance from his opponent in the melee.

By extension, if you get comfortable with Pit, you shouldn't have much trouble switching between him and :4darkpit:. Their differences are in knockback, their arrow projectiles, and their SideB arm attacks.

:4lucina: basically is an easier Marth, she doesn't require to align the tip of her sword to get the most out of her. :4marth: in the end is harder to use but better than her though.

Marth wasn't changed much in terms of moveset, but numerically he was gutted: he can not auto cancel his moves freely like he used to before, his neutral game (ie, "A" moves or standard moves) has notable lag now in a lot of his moves, his jab deals little knockback to make it worth using, and his throw game is among the worst now.

They do have good movement, however, among the fastest dashing and walking speeds in the game, and their range is still disjointed. They just don't allow for a lot of error, since the ending lag in their moves leaves them very exposed.

tl:dr,
:4zss::4sheik: are top tiers with great movement, but tough to use and represented a lot.
:4greninja::4lucario: are mid tiers who aren't represented too much, but still have solid movement while having good KO power.
:4pit::4darkpit: are not represented a whole lot either and have multiple jumps to leave you at ease if you find yourself offstage.
:4lucina::4marth: got gutted in this game with lag to their moves, though their mobility itself is still good.

IMO, if you want unrepresented characters with good mobility options that will still let you win, I suggest Lucario, Greninja, or the Pits.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I'm actually pretty pleased with this. I'm a Pokemon guy myself, and was hoping one of the Pokemon would fit the bill. Lucario was a character I consistently found myself falling back to (but still not winning with) if I got frustrated with losing as the other characters I was choosing. He was always the last stop on the salt train, you could say. I may have just answered my own question there, because it's now that I realize that even though I wasn't winning with him, I typically enjoyed playing him the most which is why I always kind of "defaulted" to Lucario.

I think I'm gonna try Greninja before settling on Lucario or PIt. Greninja almost seemed to be like the happy medium between how Marth was and what I wanted in this game. It's unfortunate that Marth and Lucina were changed in that way. Though I suppose, at least from what I heard, Marth was extremely annoying in melee and I guess they had to do something.

iCaptainn

Smash Rookie
I've been really enjoying Diddy Kong as his recovery is fine for me, his Smashes are good and I enjoy his speed and A buttons. Why is he slipping down the ranks now? Eventhubs giving him no love out of nowhere. Have I missed something? New patch nerfed his whatever stats?

I like the idea of Sonic, but he's too fast and sporadic with his bursts and zipping around. So I fear to main him.

Even in these forums Diddy gets no love. Am I missing something? Is he not as good as I think he is?

ZxFlashFreezexZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lordofgames7
The characters I use always depend on the characters I'm facing, as I am good with just about anyone. For example, I use Ganondorf when facing a lightweight character like Olimar. I mostly play SSB4, so I'm not accounting for any other Smash games like Melee, in case you were wondering.

Anyways, these are my (SSB4) mains: :4ness::4lucas::4falcon::4dk::4drmario::4ganondorf::4gaw::4link::4myfriends::4tlink::4mario:

I've been really enjoying Diddy Kong as his recovery is fine for me, his Smashes are good and I enjoy his speed and A buttons. Why is he slipping down the ranks now? Eventhubs giving him no love out of nowhere. Have I missed something? New patch nerfed his whatever stats?

I like the idea of Sonic, but he's too fast and sporadic with his bursts and zipping around. So I fear to main him.

Even in these forums Diddy gets no love. Am I missing something? Is he not as good as I think he is?
No, you are definitely right, I've realized this as well. Diddy Kong is a really good character and you have every right to be confused. I, personally, can't answer your question, but if it means anything, my best friend mains Diddy Kong and he's really good! I just played him yesterday, and from what I can tell, they didn't nerf him, but don't take my word for it. You might want to ask one of the more experienced players on this forum!

Anyways, I hope I helped a little and I wish you luck on figuring out the answer!

-Sean

P.S. Jtails mains Diddy and is ranked #4 for 3DS right now! :colorful::colorful::colorful:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikter

Smash Cadet
I've been really enjoying Diddy Kong as his recovery is fine for me, his Smashes are good and I enjoy his speed and A buttons. Why is he slipping down the ranks now? Eventhubs giving him no love out of nowhere. Have I missed something? New patch nerfed his whatever stats??
They nerfed him in the most recent patch. Probably not gutted I don't know for sure how badly due to none of my friends playing diddy but people tend to react very harshly to nerfs of any kind.

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
sorry, but my post seems to be looked over/ignored. does no one have any idea who i should main?

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
Yoshi's become stale for me, i seem to like characters who are decently fast, kind of defensive and have alot of options, but not sonic. he annoys the crap out of me. i've recently been enjoying :4dk::4falco::4rob::4kirby::4falcon::4link:any recommendations?

thanks!
Sonic annoys everyone.

Peach is a largely defensive character that relies on her large combo potential, also Rosalina and Luma.

Toon link is another defensive character the relies on projectiles alot.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

thanks!
If you're looking for a fast character and someone other than Yoshi, C. Falcon is the way to go.

R.O.B. is a mid-heavy weight character with a good recovery and all the tools he needs to force other characters to approach him. He controls space very well with Gyros and the Robo Beam, and he even has a reflector of his own with the Robo Copter Arm (that's what I like to call it). So if you like characters who are "kind of defensive," R.O.B. is there.

Last edited:

ZxFlashFreezexZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lordofgames7
If you're looking for a fast character and someone other than Yoshi, C. Falcon is the way to go.

R.O.B. is a mid-heavy weight character with a good recovery and all the tools he needs to force other characters to approach him. He controls space very well with Gyros and the Robo Beam, and he even has a reflector of his own with the Robo Copter Arm (that's what I like to call it). So if you like characters who are "kind of defensive," R.O.B. is there.
Captain Falcon is definitely the way to go!

New Age Retro Hippie

Smash Cadet
NNID
dankmemez
Who is a good complimentary secondary to :4sonic:? I've been wanting to mix up my game and learn someone equally fast and annoying who has similarly great combo potential. I like :4samus: a lot for this (she is incredibly underrated and has great aerial strings), but not fast enough for me. I've been thinking :4falcon:, :4metaknight:, or :4shulk:. Maybe :4fox::4falco:?

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Who is a good complimentary secondary to :4sonic:? I've been wanting to mix up my game and learn someone equally fast and annoying who has similarly great combo potential. I like :4samus: a lot for this (she is incredibly underrated and has great aerial strings), but not fast enough for me. I've been thinking :4falcon:, :4metaknight:, or :4shulk:. Maybe :4fox::4falco:?
Hey dude, i suggest you try either zero suit samus or greninja. grenija is faster, but they both have amazing mobility, and good kill and combo potential. i thought greninja was so so until a few days ago when i decided to secondary him (i play zsuit) greninja has awesome combos, awesomely fun gimping recovery, and good kills with Fair. all of his smashes, and shadow sneak. tip: when someone tries to edgeguard you, right before they come at you, shadow sneak and reverse kick them to their death! zero suit has so many recovery options its ridiculous, awesome stun combos and follow ups, and Bair, dflip kick, and up B all kill early (also down throw into Uair Uair Up B is a death combo that can kill from practically zero depending on the stage. can be extended on platforms like on battlefield.)

Thaledge

Smash Rookie
Hello, I have been playing Smash 4 on the 3DS since its release and have had a lot of experience using different characters, I generally like to play as Dr. Mario/ Mario but I often have a tendancy to switch characters for fun. Im stuggling to decide on a secondary and was wondering if anyone had any advice on who to chose, obviously the main point of a secondary is to act as a counter in a bad match up so is there anyone that you guys can suggest I use?

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I would try Captain Falcon. He has a fast playstyle like Sonic and imo, deals with his weaknesses well. Also maybe Rosalina if you have problems with projectiles

Top Bottom