• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Seige

Smash Cadet
Ah I need help choosing a secondary...
I main Sheik and Sonic. (rip Diddy although I wasn't as good with him to call him a main this time around)
I play Pikachu, Mario, Robin, Shulk, Greninja, Lucaio, Link and Dark Pit. I can't really focus on all of them, so for now I want a balanced roster that can go against ever matchup decently well so... Maybe 2-3 secondaries?
Note: Mario may or may not be a main as I do main the Doc in Melee. Probably not, since I don't pull him out as often here.
List:
Primary - :4sheik::4sonic:
Debatable - :4mario:
Possible Secondaries - :4lucario::4greninja::4darkpit::4pikachu::4shulk::4robinm::4link:
RIP Mains from this or other games* - :4drmario::4falco::4metaknight::4tlink::4diddy:
Doc and Falco for Melee, Meta, TL, and Diddy for Brawl, and dead Diddy main for SSB4. Pikachu is a reoccurring secondary.**
* So you can see what I'm used to
** Just a note.
Thanks for reading! Also, it sucks to be on mobile. It's slow.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Seige Seige , if you want to cover your bases, since both of your mains are very fast rushdown characters, I would recommend trying out Robin, Link and Dark Pit. They all have a good projectile game and will allow you to space and punish with a diverse toolkit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ah I need help choosing a secondary...
I main Sheik and Sonic. (rip Diddy although I wasn't as good with him to call him a main this time around)
I play Pikachu, Mario, Robin, Shulk, Greninja, Lucaio, Link and Dark Pit. I can't really focus on all of them, so for now I want a balanced roster that can go against ever matchup decently well so... Maybe 2-3 secondaries?
Note: Mario may or may not be a main as I do main the Doc in Melee. Probably not, since I don't pull him out as often here.
List:
Debatable - :4mario:
Possible Secondaries - :4lucario::4greninja::4darkpit::4pikachu::4shulk::4robinm::4link:
RIP Mains from this or other games* - :4drmario::4falco::4metaknight::4tlink::4diddy:
Doc and Falco for Melee, Meta, TL, and Diddy for Brawl, and dead Diddy main for SSB4. Pikachu is a reoccurring secondary.**
* So you can see what I'm used to
** Just a note.
Thanks for reading! Also, it sucks to be on mobile. It's slow.
Well, you have two rushdown characters to cover that end, so a dedicated projectile user would be ideal.

From the three listed there, it's important to weigh what each one offers.

Link: Messes up other projectiles with his shield, useful boomerang, bomb and arrow projectiles, can hit hard if foes get in, a good camper

Dark Pit: Reliable, aimiable projectile, all-purpose reflector, good combo game, more of a balanced guy between close up and distant offense

Robin: Specialized; tomes are useful but run out and thus need careful planning to use properly, same deal with more powerful melee attacks but can keep foes away efficiently, more of a risk-reward character that rewards strategic play and has best social thread

Choose whatever fits your style best.

Umbreoff

Smash Cadet
Hello. I'm having trouble choosing a secondary.

I main pikachu and I would like to have some characters to cover his bad matchups. However, I don't know the matchups very well since I'm new to the competitive scene. In fact, smash4 was the first time I ever started playing pikachu seriously. Smash 4 pikachu seems like a pretty solid character to me and I've been playing him for probably 85% of my matches. If someone can link me to the pikachu social thread and maybe some of the matchup boards, I would appreciate it since I'm pretty new to the competitive scene.

The secondaries I've been dabbling with have included jigglypuff, yoshi, and sonic. Of the three I've played jigglypuff the most and sonic the least. I played a fair bit of jigglypuff in melee, so I'm used to her and I used to play a lot of sonic when I played brawl (I stopped using him when someone said I was "cheap" for using him. lmao past me). As for yoshi, he just seems like a really solid character that I like playing as in this game. I don't particularly know which ones cover pikas bad matchups, so any advice on which of theses secondaries I should use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bundle!

Seige

Smash Cadet
@ Wintropy Wintropy @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A
Thanks for your input, from what I feel like this is probably what I'm going to do. What do you guys think?
Secondary - :4link::4darkpit::4mario:
As you have said, I probably need projectile characters and I chose Mario because he has a good all around game, so I think he'd be a good secondary to round all of it up.
Thanks again! ~
:201t::201h::201a::201n::201k::201s:

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I'd like a character to use in For Glory. Not a new main, but someone else I can learn to rely on when I'm playing online.

Currently, I main Captain Falcon, with Ganondorf coming in behind. I also consider Marth a main of mine. Projectiles aren't exactly my thing, and I'm not the person who pulls off insane combos of destruction (although I could try to experiment with both). I generally like to stay close to my opponents and try to surprise them with a dash attack or neutral air.

Current Secondaries- :4charizard::4mario::4mewtwo:

Possible Fighters?- :4bowser::4shulk::4sheik::4ness:

If you need any more information, I could definitely provide more.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like a character to use in For Glory. Not a new main, but someone else I can learn to rely on when I'm playing online.

Currently, I main Captain Falcon, with Ganondorf coming in behind. I also consider Marth a main of mine. Projectiles aren't exactly my thing, and I'm not the person who pulls off insane combos of destruction (although I could try to experiment with both). I generally like to stay close to my opponents and try to surprise them with a dash attack or neutral air.

Current Secondaries- :4charizard::4mario::4mewtwo:

Possible Fighters?- :4bowser::4shulk::4sheik::4ness:

If you need any more information, I could definitely provide more.
Why For Glory specifically? Any style you're looking for to make the most of that particular mode?

@ Seige Seige , good roster! You can't go wrong with Mario, he's always welcome and good fun~

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Why For Glory specifically? Any style you're looking for to make the most of that particular mode?
Well, not specifically just For Glory, I meant a character I can use in general. I was using that mode as an example. As for the style, anyone can do, but preferably someone similar to the main characters I use.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, not specifically just For Glory, I meant a character I can use in general. I was using that mode as an example. As for the style, anyone can do, but preferably someone similar to the main characters I use.
I'd say try :4wario:. He's one of my main four and while he's a bit slow on the ground in comparison to :4falcon:, the bike is an approach that will devour most projectiles and ironically is a good off stage tool by jumping off them to send them into the abyss. His dash attack has surprising reach and will actually trip players if it connects at his finger tips. His aerials are some of the most deadly in the game with some of the best air speed. His insane recovery with Bike, jump off, and then Up+B ontop of being weight makes him dastardly to kill. And in For Glory, you should always have that pocket Waft to threaten off an opponent in that second stock. Something people often forget is that Chomp is a command grab that can be used in the air to nab foes with a duration longer than an airdodge and if placed right makes coming up from the ledge a nightmare.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ahh, I see. That makes more sense.

Well, if you're aiming for a non-customs context, I would honestly not recommend Palutena: in spite of she being one of my mains, I don't think she's very rewarding without putting the time into understanding how she works. Likewise, I think characters that benefit massively from customs and otherwise have pretty tough learning curves, like DK or Doc, can be ruled out.

Pit is always a good choice, as I think he's the most balanced character in the game and has a very varied toolkit; the trick here is that he has no glaring weaknesses and can hold his own in his almost any situation. The rub is that he has no real strengths either, so you have to get by on skill and patience. Weigh up how that sounds before committing to him.

Have you considered Ike? Slow yet powerful, great range, very precise, immensely satisfying - and not a lot of people play him, so you could definitely get noticed as a good player if you use him well. And the world could always do with more Ike. We like Ike.

Not sure if any of that is useful input, but I'll expand on my rationale if you need further suggestions. Good luck! :3

EDIT: What @ Burruni Burruni said. Wa da man.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario isn't a fancy character with combos, but he's pretty unorthodox.

He's a scrub killer in FG with that bike, and he's good up close as long as you aren't approaching with him. You can always catch people off guard with a jump in bite while they're anticipating an aerial. Always works.

Lunar Whaler

Smash Rookie
Hey folks,

Been playing couch Smash since N64, and would finally like to get more competitive about it. I've looked at the usual "How to Pick a Main" tips, and unfortunately, they don't really apply to me - I like most characters, so narrowing it down that way won't work well, and I don't really care WHO I win with (though I do like winning!)

Figured I could toss up what I want out of a main, get a few suggestions based on that, and focus on narrowing it down myself from there.

1. Competitive viable. Doesn't have to be top tier, but I don't want to feel gimped by my choice.

2. Not difficult in terms of technique. I tend to stumble over myself with combos (aerial especially) so someone more about prediction and spacing would be ideal.

3. Zoning focused (not a big deal, mostly ties in with prediction vs combo as in point 2)

Any suggestions are very appreciated. Let me know if any more info is needed!

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I admit I'm kinda having trouble picking a main.

So, I've been playing Ness for as long as I remember. I love EarthBound to death. When I found out Ness was in SSB4, I was hyped so much. However, I just can't seem to do well with Ness. I constantly practice Ness, but it never pays off, especially on For Glory or against friends.

If anything else needs to be said, I kinda want a mix of speed and power. Hate to be so vague, but yeah.

Seige

Smash Cadet
Well I'm outside so I'm not going to go into super definition.
@ The-Power-Within The-Power-Within
Fox or Captain Falcon maybe. Both meet your vague conditions :4fox::4falcon:
@ L Lunar Whaler
Uh maybe Link or something along those lines :4link:
Sorry about the vague choices, my phone is running out of battery and I try to save it at this point.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey folks,

Been playing couch Smash since N64, and would finally like to get more competitive about it. I've looked at the usual "How to Pick a Main" tips, and unfortunately, they don't really apply to me - I like most characters, so narrowing it down that way won't work well, and I don't really care WHO I win with (though I do like winning!)

Figured I could toss up what I want out of a main, get a few suggestions based on that, and focus on narrowing it down myself from there.

1. Competitive viable. Doesn't have to be top tier, but I don't want to feel gimped by my choice.

2. Not difficult in terms of technique. I tend to stumble over myself with combos (aerial especially) so someone more about prediction and spacing would be ideal.

3. Zoning focused (not a big deal, mostly ties in with prediction vs combo as in point 2)

:4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt: are some of my suggestions.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hello, I'm looking for a main that's zoning and/or combo-based, and I prefer an aggressive/offensive play-style.
:ivysaur: in Project M is my favorite character, and as far as SSB4 characters, :4rob: seems like the closest fit. I'm just wondering if there's another character like him.

See my signature for the rest of my mains, and thanks in advance. :)

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Hello, I'm looking for a main that's zoning and/or combo-based, and I prefer an aggressive/offensive play-style.
:ivysaur: in Project M is my favorite character, and as far as SSB4 characters, :4rob: seems like the closest fit. I'm just wondering if there's another character like him.

Sounds like you might want Mega Man. He can zone like R.O.B and can be played aggressively.

Seige

Smash Cadet
So when does a "lot" of characters become "too many"? I've been liking several characters so far, a couple of them I've been familiar with since previous games, but I can't decide which ones would best complement each other and how many characters I should try to learn. I like characters that are speedy and/or aerial-based, or that allow for lots of creativity because of their moves. (And one that doesn't fit any of those categories but I like anyway for some reason.) They are:
Familiar (Not willing to drop these)::4pikachu::4tlink:
Familiar, but starting to second-guess: :4lucario:
Liking, but not entirely familiar with: :4luigi::4duckhunt::4kirby:

Help/Suggestions please?
I think I bumped you off most people's help radar lol.
I remember maining TL. I stopped in 4 because I don't like his nerfs at all and I decided to try the Sonic after buffs since I liked him in Brawl other than KOing someone. How you doing with him?
Anyways enough about that, I recommend Luigi for better Aerials and Duck Hunt with a bit more of a camping one. Both are a bit hard to learn tho. Lucario has a bit harder game, but he would be rewarding if you know his aura hitboxes. Kirby I'm unfamiliar with in SSB4.
The two I mostly recommend:
:4luigi::4duckhunt:
Duck Hunt has good creativity, while Luigi has my more preferred combos.
Oh and too many is when your performance drops because you don't have enough time to keep up the skill level of all your characters.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Hey folks,

Yeah this is Wario in a nutshell. No reliance on combos, heavy focus on zoning with his amazing aerial spacing. He's a character that requires thinking to land that game ending waft, because you have to analyze your opponent's movement while you space and keep away with your footsies while charging it.

He has some bike techs that you might want to learn, but they're nothing hard. They're mostly about edgeguarding anyway, and they're what makes him a god at those if you also want a character that's good guarding the ledge.

Definitely try Mega Man. Mid range zoner with good offensive capabilities. Check out the Mega Man boards.

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723

I think I bumped you off most people's help radar lol.
I remember maining TL. I stopped in 4 because I don't like his nerfs at all and I decided to try the Sonic after buffs since I liked him in Brawl other than KOing someone. How you doing with him?
Anyways enough about that, I recommend Luigi for better Aerials and Duck Hunt with a bit more of a camping one. Both are a bit hard to learn tho. Lucario has a bit harder game, but he would be rewarding if you know his aura hitboxes. Kirby I'm unfamiliar with in SSB4.
The two I mostly recommend:
:4luigi::4duckhunt:
Duck Hunt has good creativity, while Luigi has my more preferred combos
Oh and too many is when your performance drops because you don't have enough time to keep up the skill level of all your characters.
That's OK, thanks for your help anyway. So far, Toon Link has been pretty nice for me. I've gotten used to most of his changes, they aren't that bad. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is the new way Bombs/Zair work.
As for Sonic: I have tried him some, but I'm not much of a fan. He feels gimmicky in my opinion and it seems like most players just repeatedly use the same approaches/attacks, although I haven't looked into him enough to have a good opinion.
I've definitely liked what I've seen from Luigi so far. His air game is really nice, but I'm not the greatest at combos, so this is definitely new for me. His recovery is also something I'm not entirely used to yet. However, I'm not sure if his game is different enough from Pikachu to help cover my basis or if I should stick with one or the other?
Duck Hunt is a lot of fun. I haven't played a lot of him though. My biggest concern, again, is that he would only be redundant since Toon Link is similarly campy sometimes, but perhaps less so than Duck Hunt. Is it a bad idea to try to use both, or should I choose one and stick with them? I can't even honestly describe what it is that I like about Lucario, but I definitely do. His buffs since Brawl have made him even more interesting to play. The reason I was considering dropping him is because he just doesn't have the speed I'm used to in all of my other characters, and sometimes I overestimate how fast I can move because of that.
I kind of like Kirby, mostly for his control in the air and his off-stage capabilities. I also think his Copy Ability can be interesting to use on opponents, but as with Duck Hunt I don't know much about him right now.
If that is the case, I will likely be sticking to just a select few characters.

Thoughts so far are probably: :4pikachu::4tlink::4luigi:
If I'm only out to cover possible opponents. But I still really like the others as well...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I can't seem to be able to zero in on a main. One day I'll be good at Ike, the next I'll be good with Toon Link, and the next I'll be good at R.O.B.... And two days later, I'm terrible with everyone. Any tips?
Any playstyle you prefer?

If you're just focusing on fundamentals then :4pit:/:4darkpit: are a great choice. They're versatile enough to help you play any way you like with them. Once you feel like you've got the hang of things and found a playstyle you prefer you could learn someone. Generally though the best thing to do is go with a character you like.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I can't seem to be able to zero in on a main. One day I'll be good at Ike, the next I'll be good with Toon Link, and the next I'll be good at R.O.B.... And two days later, I'm terrible with everyone. Any tips?
From your current username box you seem to have Mega Man and Duck Hunt as your (possible) main(s) in the game. If the three mentioned in your post really doesn't work for you I suggest going over them again to make sure you'll find a good match.

Based on those five characters it's implied that you mainly like characters with projectiles or with zoning playstyles. If that's the case then I can also suggest going through the following characters first:

:4link:: If you ever played with a casual Zelda fan or hopped in For Glory, then chances are you probably know how Link works. His three projectiles are pretty good for chipping damage and keeping the opponent out, but he also has his sword for CQC (Close Quarters Combat) should you choose that route (although it's way less effective thanks to his jab nerf in 1.06).

:4mewtwo:: Sure he's a glass cannon who hits hard but dies easy, however you can use his Shadow Ball as a psychological tool to play mindgames on whether or not you'll send it out at a certain time. Most of his attacks also involve his tail, which provides a long disjointed hitbox for you to work with. He's about $4-$5 on the DLC Shop depending if you want him for one or both Sm4sh versions if you don't have him already.

:4pit:: Him and :4darkpit: are generally recommended for any playstyle since they can be very versatile fighters. I would use Pit, however, because his has more controllable arrows and a more consistent Side B kill move.

:4robinm::4robinf:: They're a good option if you like and can play strategically well. Robin is able to set up traps and punishes based on the usage of his magic to stay three steps ahead of the opponent.

:4tlink:: Same as Link, however he's more projectile based than a combination of projectiles and sword.

:4villager::4villagerf:: Probably one of the best if not the best camper in the game.

Lunar Whaler

Smash Rookie
Yeah this is Wario in a nutshell. No reliance on combos, heavy focus on zoning with his amazing aerial spacing. He's a character that requires thinking to land that game ending waft, because you have to analyze your opponent's movement while you space and keep away with your footsies while charging it.

He has some bike techs that you might want to learn, but they're nothing hard. They're mostly about edgeguarding anyway, and they're what makes him a god at those if you also want a character that's good guarding the ledge.
See, now Wario is an interesting call - honestly, one I hadn't even considered before. He could be a lot of fun. Any particular guides you'd direct me to for just picking him up and learning the basics? I've checked out the Wario board, of course, but the character-specific boards here can be a bit... daunting.

Any other suggestions, by the way? Wario is definitely making me short-list for tests, but how about someone more range-focused? DHD and Megaman (for example) seem to be coming up pretty frequently as zoner recommendations, but I have no clue how technically demanding they are.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
@ Burruni Burruni , thank you for your advice. I remember playing a bit of Wario back in Brawl, so maybe he'll come naturally to me.

Also, @ Wintropy Wintropy , thank you too. The funny thing is that my best friend mains Dark Pit and got me into him. I practice a bit with Dark Pit, so I'll try him out later. Also, I have considered Ike and I'm starting to figure him out (also a Brawl main of mine). I guess we all like Ike.

Again, thanks for the help, I'll definitely heed your advice.

Seige

Smash Cadet
@ Arc Quilava Arc Quilava
No need to drop Pikachu, they play quite a bit differently anyways.
Luigi's recovery is Side B for horizontal, Down B(spam B) for vertical and/or horizontal, and Up B for Vertical/Last Resort.
Honestly, characterwise I like to keep my Primaries and Secondaries able to react to a matchup, so from what I can see is if you think it may be repetitive, try Duck Hunt and Toon Link and compare them to see who would be better for you and make one primary and the other secondary. Lucario, if you like him, keep him as a secondary to learn to play him better, since you like him. Lastly, Kirby... Well again, no help with that... Maybe try him as a Secondary.

As an example, my roster is:
Primary -:4sheik::4sonic:
Primaries go in, combo, and take them out, while secondaries are projectile/go in or projectile campers. Also, a balanced to round it all out.

-----------------------------------------------------

As for my own question atm, should I add :4fox: to my secondary roster? I feel he would cover the last part that I may not be covering well, but if it's not required I won't waste my time on him, since I'm trying to concentrate on learning my new secondaries and improving the rest. For my roster, see above.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
This is final! Smash 4: mains: :4mewtwo::4robinm::4drmario: Secondaries::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4pit::4sonic::4marth: Fun::4metaknight::4littlemac::4kirby::4pikachu::4charizard:

Brawl: Mains::sonic::metaknight::pt: Secondaries: :sheik::wolf::lucario:Fun::samus2::rob::snake:

Melee: Mains: :pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee: Secondaries::younglinkmelee::roymelee::drmario:Fun::falconmelee::kirbymelee::linkmelee::luigimelee::mewtwomelee:

64: Mains:link64::jigglypuff64:: Secondaries::luigi64::ness64::pikachu64: Fun::yoshi64::dk64:

Project M: Mains::4jigglypuff::mewtwomelee::sonic:

Yes, it has taken he a long time but this is final. And no I have not played Project M.

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
No need to drop Pikachu, they play quite a bit differently anyways.
Luigi's recovery is Side B for horizontal, Down B(spam B) for vertical and/or horizontal, and Up B for Vertical/Last Resort.
Honestly, characterwise I like to keep my Primaries and Secondaries able to react to a matchup, so from what I can see is if you think it may be repetitive, try Duck Hunt and Toon Link and compare them to see who would be better for you and make one primary and the other secondary. Lucario, if you like him, keep him as a secondary to learn to play him better, since you like him. Lastly, Kirby... Well again, no help with that... Maybe try him as a Secondary.

As an example, my roster is:
Primary -:4sheik::4sonic:
Primaries go in, combo, and take them out, while secondaries are projectile/go in or projectile campers. Also, a balanced to round it all out.

-----------------------------------------------------

As for my own question atm, should I add :4fox: to my secondary roster? I feel he would cover the last part that I may not be covering well, but if it's not required I won't waste my time on him, since I'm trying to concentrate on learning my new secondaries and improving the rest. For my roster, see above.
Thank you for your help! I'll take your advice on that. My final roster should look like this then:
Mains::4pikachu::4luigi:,:4duckhunt:/:4tlink:
Secondary: :4lucario::4kirby:,:4duckhunt:/:4tlink:(Whichever doesn't become my main.)

Pikachu for aerial, Luigi for all-around, Duck Hunt / Toon Link for zoning/camping. I can go for this.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I am completely unable to hold a main for very long. How do I stop this? I don't have any attachment to any characters, and they tend to get dull after a week or so of dedicated main status. I've been trying to whittle down the list and phone in on what kind of playstyle I like. I currently have been labbing :4megaman: and :4bowser: and I like Mega Man's flexible mid range zoning gameplay. I just like Bowser as a character mostly but wouldn't mind dropping him.

I have brought :4ness::4villager::4yoshi::4greninja::4robinm: to tournaments over time and seen moderate results but I list interest in them pretty quickly. For some of them it comes in waves, but I've been eliminating characters I know I don't want to play. I just don't know what I want I guess. It's kind of a personal problem honestly.

People who have their mains figured out, how did you arrive to them? Was it love at first sight? Did you methodically play through all the characters until you found "the one"? I'm just super frustrated about it since I thought I had it figured out. It's a curse.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From your current username box you seem to have Mega Man and Duck Hunt as your (possible) main(s) in the game. If the three mentioned in your post really doesn't work for you I suggest going over them again to make sure you'll find a good match.

Based on those five characters it's implied that you mainly like characters with projectiles or with zoning playstyles. If that's the case then I can also suggest going through the following characters first:

:4link:: If you ever played with a casual Zelda fan or hopped in For Glory, then chances are you probably know how Link works. His three projectiles are pretty good for chipping damage and keeping the opponent out, but he also has his sword for CQC (Close Quarters Combat) should you choose that route (although it's way less effective thanks to his jab nerf in 1.06).

:4mewtwo:: Sure he's a glass cannon who hits hard but dies easy, however you can use his Shadow Ball as a psychological tool to play mindgames on whether or not you'll send it out at a certain time. Most of his attacks also involve his tail, which provides a long disjointed hitbox for you to work with. He's about $4-$5 on the DLC Shop depending if you want him for one or both Sm4sh versions if you don't have him already.

:4pit:: Him and :4darkpit: are generally recommended for any playstyle since they can be very versatile fighters. I would use Pit, however, because his has more controllable arrows and a more consistent Side B kill move.

:4robinm::4robinf:: They're a good option if you like and can play strategically well. Robin is able to set up traps and punishes based on the usage of his magic to stay three steps ahead of the opponent.

:4tlink:: Same as Link, however he's more projectile based than a combination of projectiles and sword.

:4villager::4villagerf:: Probably one of the best if not the best camper in the game.
Any playstyle you prefer?

If you're just focusing on fundamentals then :4pit:/:4darkpit: are a great choice. They're versatile enough to help you play any way you like with them. Once you feel like you've got the hang of things and found a playstyle you prefer you could learn someone. Generally though the best thing to do is go with a character you like.
Thanks for the tips. I think I found why I couldn't find a main. There is no real way for me to gauge my skill. CPU's are obviously a terrible choice, Amibos don't help either, and For Glory constantly pits me against people who are slightly better than me, (enough so I lose every match) or much worse than I am. I rarely find people on my skill level.

I've tried looking for guides, but they are so full of information that they tend to scare me away. Then there is the fact that I doubt I can do what is needed to play the character to it's full extent.

So anyways. I'll try to main Mega Man, Toon Link, Duck Hunt, and possibly R.O.B. and Little Mac, but I haven't used them in a while so I don't know about them.

Seige

Smash Cadet
Nice! Good luck!
@ C0rvus C0rvus
Uhh that sounds like me in League sometimes(I think I fixed that problem)
Honestly, it depends, just play through everyone and see who suits you the most. For example, I played Sheik and discovered I really like how she plays with the Bouncing Fish and Grabs. What's your style? Megaman? Mine is either love at first sight(for some characters, hi Dark Pit) or just cycling through some characters(Hi Sonic). Just have fun with it. Honestly, if winning is fun to you, win more. Practice your techniques and go to For Glory and WINNNNNN!!!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
In other fighting games, I tend to go for characters with good neutral, or trap setting characters. (Idk if anyone plays Uniel, but I like Byakuya, and Orie. I also recently started playing Hakumen in BlazBlue). I tried Marth, and I like his style, but he's not very good at all and I was losing matches I felt I shouldn't.

Since then, I've been ruminating mostly between characters like:4bowserjr::4villager::4ness::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4tlink: who zone with items and projectiles. I like the idea of controlling the stage and forcing opponents to act under pressure. I think I'm going to try the ones I haven't for at least a week each or cycle through them until one sticks. I'm not sure how else to do it.

Seige

Smash Cadet
In other fighting games, I tend to go for characters with good neutral, or trap setting characters. (Idk if anyone plays Uniel, but I like Byakuya, and Orie. I also recently started playing Hakumen in BlazBlue). I tried Marth, and I like his style, but he's not very good at all and I was losing matches I felt I shouldn't.

Since then, I've been ruminating mostly between characters like:4bowserjr::4villager::4ness::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4tlink: who zone with items and projectiles. I like the idea of controlling the stage and forcing opponents to act under pressure. I think I'm going to try the ones I haven't for at least a week each or cycle through them until one sticks. I'm not sure how else to do it.
Lol Trap setting RIP Snake.
Pac man and Megaman are the two that would most likely fit that catagory for now. Villager is the best camper in the game honestly and Link/Toon Link have good projectiles spam. Imo in this game Link is better, but eh I liked Toon Link, he's still good I guess.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
One question. I noticed a lot of people lock in their mains pretty early and are pretty confident and don't chnge that often.Am i just kind of dumb that i keep ending up changing in this game and that unlike in other games nothing really "clicked" for me here? MK is just the closest thing but even now i'm reconsidering again.

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I am completely unable to hold a main for very long. How do I stop this? I don't have any attachment to any characters, and they tend to get dull after a week or so of dedicated main status. I've been trying to whittle down the list and phone in on what kind of playstyle I like. I currently have been labbing :4megaman: and :4bowser: and I like Mega Man's flexible mid range zoning gameplay. I just like Bowser as a character mostly but wouldn't mind dropping him.

I have brought :4ness::4villager::4yoshi::4greninja::4robinm: to tournaments over time and seen moderate results but I list interest in them pretty quickly. For some of them it comes in waves, but I've been eliminating characters I know I don't want to play. I just don't know what I want I guess. It's kind of a personal problem honestly.

People who have their mains figured out, how did you arrive to them? Was it love at first sight? Did you methodically play through all the characters until you found "the one"? I'm just super frustrated about it since I thought I had it figured out. It's a curse.
For me it was mostly one of those "click" moments. Your true main should come naturally and without hesitation, I think. Try playing through the characters a couple of times each until you understand each one. Rather than finding a character that clicks right away, try figuring out what your favorite part about each character is, or what feels the most natural about them to you. If there isn't anything, note that as well. By looking at the characteristics you find most appealing in those characters, you can help yourself understand your own play style and therefore which characters have the most / more important of those characteristics. Afterwards, try playing again with the characters that match those descriptions the best and see how you like them. If there are more than one, definitely go with the one that seems more familiar to you either as a fighter or as a character in general first.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
One question. I noticed a lot of people lock in their mains pretty early and are pretty confident and don't chnge that often.Am i just kind of dumb that i keep ending up changing in this game and that unlike in other games nothing really "clicked" for me here? MK is just the closest thing but even now i'm reconsidering again.
It's not a problem at all. Some people are like that and some are like you, while others might want to have more mains to round themselves out. I'd say just keep playing through the characters again or ask for advice on the character boards of those who you're most interested in (such as Meta Knight).

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
For me it was mostly one of those "click" moments. Your true main should come naturally and without hesitation, I think. Try playing through the characters a couple of times each until you understand each one. Rather than finding a character that clicks right away, try figuring out what your favorite part about each character is, or what feels the most natural about them to you. If there isn't anything, note that as well. By looking at the characteristics you find most appealing in those characters, you can help yourself understand your own play style and therefore which characters have the most / more important of those characteristics. Afterwards, try playing again with the characters that match those descriptions the best and see how you like them. If there are more than one, definitely go with the one that seems more familiar to you either as a fighter or as a character in general first.
Thanks for the input! I'll give your method a shot.

I've recently begun the process of listing the things I like about each character. I haven't hit any strides yet, as there is no real non-arbitrary way to determine which reasons are better than others, but it's been a good exercise. I've been able to eliminate a number of characters I feel I do not enjoy or do not intend to enjoy. The list is narrowing ever slowly.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
No, you're not dumb. This just means you most likely haven't settled on a character because they weren't as good as you thought or they failed to meet your expectations. One good thing about not having/being sure of a main is that you have tested out each character's strengths and weaknesses, so you'll have an edge in certain matchups. But please, don't feel obligated to choose a main. There's nothing wrong with not having one. I've played Tekken and haven't found any character I like.

_noname

Smash Rookie
I need someone like Sheik who does more damage but still has projectiles / godlike aerial game.
Sure I could play her, but I'm having trouble to rack up damage or even get close to characters like captain falcon if they play too aggressive.

Top Bottom