• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I may make Lucas my main or secondary, so I'd really love it if he's high tier (nice transition from Brawl). =P Lucas' Up Smash is one of the most satisfying moves when land KOs for me. That huge ****ing hitbox maaan, never gets old!

And on SMT x FE, there's a lot of speculation going on. There's some characters in the trailer that seem based on FE characters (with a modern twist?), so maybe it's possible we'll see Roy with a redesign? Here's something that Nintendo said:

Secret fantasy world, huh? I'm just glad we finally got something! Also this is pretty interesting:

Ninja Chrom, eh? That'd be an awesome costume for Chrom if he were playable, but alas, he'll get his chance another day - perhaps when Fire Emblem gets its own fighting game like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear.

Steelia

Smash Champion

I just wanted to tell you all, good luck. Roy's counting on you.

Also,

Secret fantasy world, huh? I'm just glad we finally got something! Also this is pretty interesting:

He even has the black shirt, and giant X-shaped buckles on his chest! Very interesting observations. Was really hoping we'd see (much) more familiar FE chars, but alas. The trailer made me feel Nintendo put on some anime OVA or something.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
And on SMT x FE, there's a lot of speculation going on. There's some characters in the trailer that seem based on FE characters (with a modern twist?), so maybe it's possible we'll see Roy with a redesign? Here's something that Nintendo said:

Aaaaah, that trailer looked wonderful and I want to buy this game the day it drops (even if that means buying another system)! Between this and Persona 5, Atlus is going to bankrupt me this year and I don't even care!

Wow, that character really does look like Chrom. I wonder if that's really him or if it's just a coincidence. In any case, I'm SO excited that it was finally confirmed that FE characters would be making an appearance. I was confident we would get that, but official confirmation is always so satisfying.

The character designs by toi8 look amazing too! Whenever I see their art, I instantly think of two things they worked on: MAOYU and Chain Chronicle. An anime and a game that both contain the talented voice of....*drumroll*...Jun Fukuyama! I just really, REALLY hope they get him to come back and reprise his role as Roy, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise. I mean, Atlus is already working with him for Persona 5, so why not have him do a voice in another game they're working on?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I support this movement. Heck, the moment I found out about the option of voting for a character to be DLC, I voted Roy because he's the most likely out of all my picks and that he's in the Top 5 most requested characters to be DLC now that Mewtwo and Lucas are confirmed.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Letsa go people! Our boy is counting on us! Make sure this page is at the top of the character forums!

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i threw in a vote for Roy! i would love to see him back! (IMO he should have gotten in over Lucina)

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Roy.
And then I asked for like 5 of my friends to as well and they did (along with Isaac because awh man both of them would be sweet).

Gotsta have him back. Gotsta have my Roiboi back.

Especially if they threw him in his Awakening clothes. It's like he'd be all grown up, or somethin'.
Just so long as he still has the Sword of Seals. That awesome fire is mandatory, lmao.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would be fine with either his Melee outfit or his new Awakening outfit.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Aaaaah, that trailer looked wonderful and I want to buy this game the day it drops (even if that means buying another system)! Between this and Persona 5, Atlus is going to bankrupt me this year and I don't even care!

Wow, that character really does look like Chrom. I wonder if that's really him or if it's just a coincidence. In any case, I'm SO excited that it was finally confirmed that FE characters would be making an appearance. I was confident we would get that, but official confirmation is always so satisfying.

The character designs by toi8 look amazing too! Whenever I see their art, I instantly think of two things they worked on: MAOYU and Chain Chronicle. An anime and a game that both contain the talented voice of....*drumroll*...Jun Fukuyama! I just really, REALLY hope they get him to come back and reprise his role as Roy, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise. I mean, Atlus is already working with him for Persona 5, so why not have him do a voice in another game they're working on?
Oh wow I totally forgot about Jun Fukuyama. Yeah, it would be awesome if they could get him to be Roy's Japanese VA again (this goes for Smash as well!).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I honestly thought Mewtwo reflecting Roy Koopa's attack was a hint to Roy being DLC.
My exact reaction was:
"OMG Mewtwo reflected Roy BACK! Roy confirmed!"

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Voted for our Boy. Mewtwo getting in but Roy being left out would be unfair.

:231:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Roy getting in would be no problem at all for Nintendo, if they use his Melee moveset like they did for Mewtwo. It would be less work for Nintendo and Roy would be guaranteed to be in.

Though, if this happens, we are more likely to get Roy's Melee model.

Edit: What I mean by "no problem" is how time consuming it would be for Nintendo to make Roy.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Voted for our boy, of course.

By the way, someone noticed how the "no DLC planned" suddenly became "vote for your favourite, and also here some extras"?

Think about it, that Lucas looks almost done, and since creating new character is a lot time consuming it safe to assume that his production started at early february. Now, since the poll is open till october, I think the production of some other character will start very soon. I mean, its not like they can wait until october and THEN start the production, when the next DLC (Lucas) is planned for June, right?

I think that the poll will help to decide what character should they focus on and some ideas for a newcomer, but since they can't stop the production for almost five months (they have to earn a paycheck too, you know) I believe they will start working on other cutted veterans/requested character, namely Roy and Wolf.
If I'm not mistaken, all cutted veterans (including Pichu) were the highest requested character, even more than newcomers like K. Rool; but since Ice Climbers won't work on 3DS and Snake is basically gone forever (and thrust me, I hope I'm wrong about him; I liked the guy), only Wolf and Roy remains.

So, the time has come! Let's vote for our boy!

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Hey guys you know Lucas is back? Wouldn't it be great say E3 comes, the direct opens with a trailer for Super Smash Bros. It starts by focusing in on Fox and Falco about to fight, then Wolf jumps in, and his tagline, Can't Let you do that Starfox appears, then as we continue and see Wolf in action. We then have Iwata/Reggie appear on screen and talk a bit about Wolf, then they say please take a look at this as well, another Smash trailer appears and we focus on Marth this time as he starts to get beaten by all the Melee newcomers, only to have Bowser go for the final blow, only to have Roy come in strike him down, then have Roy's tagline appear Brings the Heat/Our Boy's back/Seals the Deal*. We see footage of Roy in action and then all of sudden we have Pichu attack Roy, then his tagline appears, Pichu brings even more thunder/Electrifies the fight, then we see Pichu in action. After the trailer we go to Iwata/Reggie, who then talk about the 3 in more detail, maybe even saying how they improved Pichu, and made him more like his game counterpart and less like his anime character.

And if Young Link and Ice Climbers comeback, as in both are playable we could get the heartwarming tagline of the complete Melee ensues. And obviously if all the Brawl vets comeback, then they should call the trailer now it really is a big brawl.

*This is reference to what Roy's game title was originally translated as.

Posted this in another Thread, figured you guys might get some enjoyment from reading it.

Last edited:

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Oh wow I totally forgot about Jun Fukuyama. Yeah, it would be awesome if they could get him to be Roy's Japanese VA again (this goes for Smash as well!).
Oh man, I LOVE Jun's voice for Roy. It's like a perfect fit. It would be great to have him be Roy's VA again for sure!
His voice really is a perfect fit for Roy! And I think it's even more perfect because of how the two of them have both grown over the years. When Jun was cast as Roy back in the distant lands of 2001, he was a newbie seiyuu at the beginning of his career with very few credits under his belt. He was pretty much a nobody. Likewise, Roy didn't even have his own game released yet, so no one knew who he was either (And in contrast, Marth was a well-known FE lord, in Japan at least, and he was voiced by a very well-known, veteran seiyuu).

Over the years Jun has risen to be one of the most well-known and popular seiyuu in Japan, and Roy is one of the most well-known and popular lords in FE. After both of them going through such a similar journey, having Jun reprise his role as Roy in either SMTxFE or Smash Bros (or hopefully both!) after nearly a decade and a half would be so overwhelmingly amazing that my heart would probably explode.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned this yesterday to a friend, Roy wouldn't be hard to create
His voice really is a perfect fit for Roy! And I think it's even more perfect because of how the two of them have both grown over the years. When Jun was cast as Roy back in the distant lands of 2001, he was a newbie seiyuu at the beginning of his career with very few credits under his belt. He was pretty much a nobody. Likewise, Roy didn't even have his own game released yet, so no one knew who he was either (And in contrast, Marth was a well-known FE lord, in Japan at least, and he was voiced by a very well-known, veteran seiyuu).

Over the years Jun has risen to be one of the most well-known and popular seiyuu in Japan, and _*Roy is one of the most well-known and popular lords in FE*_. After both of them going through such a similar journey, having Jun reprise his role as Roy in either SMTxFE or Smash Bros (or hopefully both!) after nearly a decade and a half would be so overwhelmingly amazing that my heart would probably explode.
Roy is only popular with the Smash community. The Fire Emblem community doesn't like him very much, since he was and still is I believe the Lord with the worst stats to date, his late promotion time in the game, and his entire game isn't liked very much.
Roy is loved from Smash, and that is where his supporters lie.

Over the years Jun has risen to be one of the most well-known and popular seiyuu in Japan, and Roy is one of the most well-known and popular lords in FE. After both of them going through such a similar journey, having Jun reprise his role as Roy in either SMTxFE or Smash Bros (or hopefully both!) after nearly a decade and a half would be so overwhelmingly amazing that my heart would probably explode.
when the realest one in the thread only got 8 total messages

I mentioned this yesterday to a friend, Roy wouldn't be hard to create

Roy is only popular with the Smash community. The Fire Emblem community doesn't like him very much, since he was and still is I believe the Lord with the worst stats to date, his late promotion time in the game, and his entire game isn't liked very much.
Roy is loved from Smash, and that is where his supporters lie.
FE6 sold better in Japan than all FE games except FE4 and FE13, the nearest game still being about 100k sales behind. He is a less powerful lord overall, due to bases, promotion time, and no new weapon types on promotion, but he still has really good growths (a 325 total for a Lv1 character in FE6 is insane) and he's pretty much unstoppable with the Sword of Seals, he doesn't need other weapon types with it. I had an interesting discussion on YouTube lately: With secret shop boosts and supports, he is comparatively the most powerful character in the series. For promotion time, I never had a problem with it. He's still really strong at Lv20 unpromoted, I usually meatshield with him and hand him a weapon when he needs to save someone at that point, and he's fine for the whole game.

His game actually reviewed strongly, and a lot of JRPG fans in the states have emulated and loved FE6. Mother 3 was in the same boat, so Roy is highly plausible.

We can't just write off his Smash Bros. fans either, anyone who supports Roy for any reason is valuable for getting him back.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman

FE6 sold better in Japan than all FE games except FE4 and FE13, the nearest game still being about 100k sales behind. He is a less powerful lord overall, due to bases, promotion time, and no new weapon types on promotion, but he still has really good growths (a 325 total for a Lv1 character in FE6 is insane) and he's pretty much unstoppable with the Sword of Seals, he doesn't need other weapon types with it. I had an interesting discussion on YouTube lately: With secret shop boosts and supports, he is comparatively the most powerful character in the series. For promotion time, I never had a problem with it. He's still really strong at Lv20 unpromoted, I usually meatshield with him and hand him a weapon when he needs to save someone at that point, and he's fine for the whole game.

His game actually reviewed strongly, and a lot of JRPG fans in the states have emulated and loved FE6. Mother 3 was in the same boat, so Roy is highly plausible.

We can't just write off his Smash Bros. fans either, anyone who supports Roy for any reason is valuable for getting him back.
Thanks for correcting me. :) I figured I would mess up, but not that badly.

Troykv

Smash Master

You forget FE3 (still a Marth Game), the most sold Console Fire Emblem game

Anyway, FE6 has a nice place and SSBM the his side.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Haha, thanks! I once had an English teacher say to me that I was so quiet and almost never raised my hand, but when I did she couldn't wait to hear what I had to say because she knew it would be something good. I'm glad to hear that I still seem to be living up to those words.

This. Just every word of this! I think what skews people's perceptions of how the FE community views Roy are the few really loud dissenters who refuse to stop yelling about how they don't like him. But yet I've heard from so many FE fans who love Roy. It's the same in the Smash Community too. Depending on where you go, the few dissenters are so loud and pushy you'd think that Roy was the most hated character ever. But yet here we all are, voicing our support. And over the past day I can't even say how many people have come forward (not just here but on so many other websites as well) to support Roy now that we're closer than ever to getting him back. There's certainly a lot of us. And for every person who's posting comments there are probably a handful of lurkers who will be supporting our boy from the shadows.

Thanks for correcting me. :) I figured I would mess up, but not that badly.
It's not that you messed up, it's that Roy haters do and they spread a lot of misconceptions.

You forget FE3 (still a Marth Game), the most sold Console Fire Emblem game

Anyway, FE6 has a nice place and SSBM the his side.
I just realized my go-to sales figures didn't even include FE3 :sadeyes: just FE1 and 3's DS remakes. Well, shoot. I'll try and find a source for them next time.
http://chartget.com/2008/08/media-create-sales-0811-0817.html

Depending on where you go, the few dissenters are so loud and pushy you'd think that Roy was the most hated character ever. But yet here we all are, voicing our support. And over the past day I can't even say how many people have come forward (not just here but on so many other websites as well) to support Roy now that we're closer than ever to getting him back. There's certainly a lot of us. And for every person who's posting comments there are probably a handful of lurkers who will be supporting our boy from the shadows.
Yeah, I don't run into Roy haters very often, but they're pretty adamant and claim that the FE fanbase hates Roy. I haven't seen Roy hate being prevalent in the fanbase since half a decade ago on GameFAQs, and it died after a year or two. Most FE fans I know love Roy or at least think Roy isn't half bad. There's still a decent amount of people who hate Roy, but they're on the same level as previous Lucas and Mewtwo naysayers and nothing more.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, I don't run into Roy haters very often, but they're pretty adamant and claim that the FE fanbase hates Roy. I haven't seen Roy hate being prevalent in the fanbase since half a decade ago on GameFAQs, and it died after a year or two. Most FE fans I know love Roy or at least think Roy isn't half bad.
At most, some FE fans would rather see some other FE characters (like Tiki or Lyn, for instance) becoming playable before Roy returns.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Just sent a text to my younger brother telling him about the ballot and asking him if he would put in a vote for Roy. His immediate reply:

"Will do. Roy's our boy!"

I love my little brother.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice

Basically aaaall of this.
I actually enjoyed FE6 and FE4 the most out of all the FE games I've played-- which happens to be all of them but Radiant Dawn (which I still need to start...). I never had any issues with Roy dying or sucking as bad as some people say. Maybe they just need to git gud.
Especially with the Sword of Seals, he's basically just an unstoppable wall of holy crap.

There seems to be a really really loud minority that like to scream defamation about Roy.
"He's so weak!"
"He promotes so late!"
...Which, to me, ends up translating to: "Why can't I 1HKO everyone with him by chapter 12?!" by the time I see the same few people say it 500 times, lmao.
But I've never had any issues with him at all. He's always worked perfectly fine for me. Maybe those people just have less... uh, thoughtful/careful playing styles. :Y

@ royalblue royalblue -- Oh dang those miiverse sketches. My heart.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
ROYS OUR BOY!

I would LOVE for Roy to be in this game, that being said, doing my second vote for him!

Last edited:
At most, some FE fans would rather see some other FE characters (like Tiki or Lyn, for instance) becoming playable before Roy returns.
I would honestly rather play as Eliwood or Lewyn/Levin, but I'm gonna support Roy for as long as possible since he's the most realistic chance we have, he deserves to be in with the other veterans, and he was a bigger part of many more lives than the other two due to Melee. I can still rep the genes of Eliwood and my favorite continent Elibe, and Roy's also the perfect choice for a DLC character in my eyes.

(Finally reached 10 posts so I can post links!)

Found this just now:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAA5VHwqquZAvw

746 Yeahs and counting!
OH MY GOD I'M SPREADING THIS EVYYYRERYWHERE.

Mewtwo AND Doctor Mario.
YASSS, lets do this, Voting for my boy!

:4drmario::4mewtwo::roypm:--->sweg trio
Dat perfect timing.

Last edited:

royalblue

Smash Cadet
There seems to be a really really loud minority that like to scream defamation about Roy.
"He's so weak!"
"He promotes so late!"
...Which, to me, ends up translating to: "Why can't I 1HKO everyone with him by chapter 12?!" by the time I see the same few people say it 500 times, lmao.
That is exactly what I think too! Those complainers need to learn how to use some tactics when they play tactical RPGs.

@ royalblue royalblue -- Oh dang those miiverse sketches. My heart.
I know! So beautiful it hurts. That same artist did another amazing one with Marth and Roy awhile back. I'm pretty sure it was posted in this thread somewhere.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's a lot of naysayers for Roy just like they were for Mewtwo. We just need to ignore these people and focus on our primary goal of supporting our boy back to the series. With the announcement of their not being a lot of DLC characters by Sakurai, we need to do everything we can to ensure he gets in which (if were successful) will be after Wolf, a popular Third Party Character (Snake or Rayman), and either K.Rool or Dixie.

Ice Climbers are also a lock eventually but Sakurai pretty much finished making them so they won't count in the ballot.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
That is exactly what I think too! Those complainers need to learn how to use some tactics when they play tactical RPGs.
I think that's part of the problem, really. One has to be careful when making moves or well... tfw permadeath.

I know! So beautiful it hurts. That same artist did another amazing one with Marth and Roy awhile back. I'm pretty sure it was posted in this thread somewhere.
It makes me happy to see other artists do stuff for characters like Roy, Wolf, Young Link, etc. :'D Roy's my default go-to "I'm bored" character to draw (hence the avatar and like 75% of my sketchbook), so seeing all the fanart love is making my heart melt a 'lil.
It's really nice to see that he has a way bigger fanbase than I originally thought he had. For the longest time, I thought he was just going to sink into obscurity vv;

And now I want to go play Fuuin no Tsurugi again. Time to get out the GBA...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Japan is a very big supporter of Roy no? With that taken in to consideration and Roy's pretty significant popularity in the West, it's not a longshot to say that he's amongst the Top 5 requested characters to get in.

This thread is super active today which makes me happy. If we can get this post (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHjaf4WGRA) to 1000, that's probably our next biggest step for success.
Royvolution FTW.

Last edited:

Neo2k

Smash Rookie
ROY MUST WIN CUZ TeH PH!R3

srs, voted for our Boy.

Finally, my main could come back.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm especially fond of the continuing and growing support for Roy since the announcement of the Poll yesterday, thanks to these guys:4lucas::4mewtwo:

Let's see if we can finally get Our Boy Roy back in Super Smash Bros.

Neo2k

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't be hard. M2 has his moveset intact, and I assume Roy would be the same.

Although in regard to Awakening, FE6, or Melee style...who knows.
Personally, Blue Boy from FE6 is teh bees knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom