• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
If Roy was to return, I think they'd do what they did with Dr. Mario and make him more or less faithful to his Melee incarnation. I don't expect a hypothetical Smash 4 Roy to follow the route of PM Roy, not because they can't do it, but since it's not what they(Sakurai) wants to do.

If Roy was to return, I think they'd do what they did with Dr. Mario and make him more or less faithful to his Melee incarnation. I don't expect a hypothetical Smash 4 Roy to follow the route of PM Roy, not because they can't do it, but since it's not what they(Sakurai) wants to do.
Maaaaaaaaaybe, but I have doubts on that.

Dr. Mario = Mario, so I didn't see a declone coming.

Lucina being a Marth clone makes sense, she canonically impersonates Marth and shares the same battle animations.

And Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit.

Meanwhile, Roy has his own setting and his own fighting style which is a polar opposite of Marth's, even with their rapiers.

After seeing a few characters get the Booser treatment, along with Falco, Luigi, and Ganondorf becoming more and more unique per game, I have faith Roy will receive some neat stuff.

Roy also has crazy acrobatic skills, the Sword of Seals can seal stuff in ice via manga which was tied into the game so it's not completely crazy to bring it up, and it has the ability to heal (kinda irrelevant since Lucina's Parallel Falchion also can, but there's still a chance for it to appear). I could even see, and hope, that they would draw into Eliwood a bit for some of Roy's moves.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Maaaaaaaaaybe, but I have doubts on that.

Dr. Mario = Mario, so I didn't see a declone coming.

Lucina being a Marth clone makes sense, she canonically impersonates Marth and shares the same battle animations.

And Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit.

Meanwhile, Roy has his own setting and his own fighting style which is a polar opposite of Marth's, even with their rapiers.

After seeing a few characters get the Booser treatment, along with Falco, Luigi, and Ganondorf becoming more and more unique per game, I have faith Roy will receive some neat stuff.

Roy also has crazy acrobatic skills, the Sword of Seals can seal stuff in ice via manga which was tied into the game so it's not completely crazy to bring it up, and it has the ability to heal (kinda irrelevant since Lucina's Parallel Falchion also can, but there's still a chance for it to appear). I could even see, and hope, that they would draw into Eliwood a bit for some of Roy's moves.
Samus = Zero Suit Samus, Zelda = Sheik, yet both of them have different movesets. It's because while they're the same character, they're different personas. Dr. Mario is a very good example of this too, since in the context of his abilities and personality, he's very different from Mario. Roy has some neat stuff too, also in the manga the Sword of Seals is able to send pillars of fire, and that's something you can add to Smash as well. But like Dr. Mario, they may not be utilized simply because Sakurai doesn't want to alienate the original fans of the character in respect to their previous Smash iterations.

And with Mewtwo being implied to be very similar and based on his Melee incarnation, based on relevant precedence I can't see Roy being changed outside of balance or aesthetic reasons.

I'd like to be wrong, but it's important to be realistic.

Samus = Zero Suit Samus, Zelda = Sheik, yet both of them have different movesets. It's because while they're the same character, they're different personas. Dr. Mario is a very good example of this too, since in the context of his abilities and personality, he's very different from Mario. Roy has some neat stuff too, also in the manga the Sword of Seals is able to send pillars of fire, and that's something you can add to Smash as well. But like Dr. Mario, they may not be utilized simply because Sakurai doesn't want to alienate the original fans of the character in respect to their previous Smash iterations.

And with Mewtwo being implied to be very similar and based on his Melee incarnation, based on relevant precedence I can't see Roy being changed outside of balance or aesthetic reasons.

I'd like to be wrong, but it's important to be realistic.
Those are good points, which kinda worries me. I personally don't mind clones, but a lot of people dislike them, and I play Roy because of who he is as a character, so I'd prefer to see Roy become more unique. I'll start including more on that when I mail Nintendo and if Sakurai considers Roy, hopefully he takes that into mind. I mail the site every time to them, and it includes stuff on making Roy more unique, so hopefully that's done its job the last few months.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, if Roy ever gets in, I always thought he'd be luigified similar to Ganon or Falco at the very least, especially if you believe that Ike's Eruption was originally meant for Roy in Brawl. So Sakurai must have had some plans for him in that game. I'd like to say that Sakurai would keep Roy clone-ish not to alienate fans, but he's given characters like Bowser and Pit new moves in which I dropped Pit as a secondary in this installment. I blame the loss of Wingdashing lol And unlike Doc, Roy may have more time to be worked on, so honestly, I'm not really sure. I would prefer to see Roy more unique, especially so we could have more diversity when it comes to custom moves (since some moves would be non-Marth).

And I don't think we have any indication that Mewtwo will be completely based on his Melee incarnation. He may receive some new moves, like Bowser and Pit, which will be pretty hype worthy. Though we'll have to see.

Last edited:
Well, if Roy ever gets in, I always thought he'd be luigified similar to Ganon or Falco at the very least, especially if you believe that Ike's Eruption was originally meant for Roy in Brawl. So Sakurai must have had some plans for him in that game. I'd like to say that Sakurai would keep Roy clone-ish not to alienate fans, but he's given characters like Bowser and Pit new moves in which I dropped Pit as a secondary in this installment. I blame the loss of Wingdashing lol And unlike Doc, Roy may have more time to be worked on, so honestly, I'm not really sure. I would prefer to see Roy more unique, especially so we could have more diversity when it comes to custom moves (since some moves would be non-Marth).

And I don't think we have any indication that Mewtwo will be completely based on his Melee incarnation. He may receive some new moves, like Bowser and Pit, which will be pretty hype worthy. Though we'll have to see.
I loved watching Masashi's Pit in Brawl. Pit in this game is really good, but doesn't feel right for me. I don't like his new specials, even his arrows because they were perfect for me in Brawl. They now feel like pebbles thrown by a toddler, and these pebbles are having a seizure when I aim them. Dark Pit's arrows don't have enough control. Their up special is so aggravating when it doesn't sweetspot the ledge, so I have to eat multiple jumps and side b more often for recovery.

DLC deadlines are much less stressful than full-roster release deadlines. If Roy is confirmed as DLC, he'll have all the time in the world to become a fighter, seeing the gap between Mewtwo's announcement and planned release when he already had plenty of work done.

I hope Mewtwo gets his specials seriously reworked, his side b would have been so much better if reflected projectiles did anything, and his down special was meh. He's heavier than any non-overweight human being in Pokemon canon, so his weight should be close to Ganondorf's, which I'm hoping for. Those are the only changes on my wishlist. I'm going to solely play/main Mewtwo for a week or two on release to judge how good I think he is, and to have early knowledge on how to fight him.

Plus I like his character and design. I only have two mains right now (Marth and Ike) so having Mewtwo as a third main for my last character would fit the whole three-main design that's been going around perfectly.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I'm hoping they'll give Mewtwo some tweaks, and especially buffs. I've always complained that Confusion should be a true reflector. =P

But seriously, I'm hoping I'll enjoy Mewtwo this time around (can't really get into him in Melee), and hopefully make him a potential secondary. I'm enjoying Shulk, so I may make him my main. However, I'm having trouble finding a secondary despite me trying everyone many times. Oh well, took me a while to settle with Lucas in Brawl, so who knows.

I could see what you mean with Pit. I could kinda live with his new Side B, but everything else does feel a bit off for me. Well, I am picky when it comes to characters haha. Expect for Roy. If he does get in, even if he "feels" off, I'm still going to main him. Like, all my support ain't gonna go down the drain haha.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm hoping they'll give Mewtwo some tweaks, and especially buffs. I've always complained that Confusion should be a true reflector. =P

But seriously, I'm hoping I'll enjoy Mewtwo this time around (can't really get into him in Melee), and hopefully make him a potential secondary. I'm enjoying Shulk, so I may make him my main. However, I'm having trouble finding a secondary despite me trying everyone many times. Oh well, took me a while to settle with Lucas in Brawl, so who knows.

I could see what you mean with Pit. I could kinda live with his new Side B, but everything else does feel a bit off for me. Well, I am picky when it comes to characters haha. Expect for Roy. If he does get in, even if he "feels" off, I'm still going to main him. Like, all my support ain't gonna go down the drain haha.
What do you think of Mewtwo in Project M, or any other Brawl mods?

I like Shulk. They did an exceptionally great job on him. He's scary in singles and more terrifying in doubles, so if you play competitively, I think he's a good choice and the best swordsman choice next to Toon Link. If you don't, mains don't really matter, but I still think you should main him. I can only truly be good with sword characters and very few exceptions (64 Ness, Melee Sheik, Brawl Minus Lucas, Project M Ness and Ganondorf, a few of the Pokemon in the series) come close to my swords, so he was mostly a natural fit. Like a size 12 and a half shoe on a size 12. I sometimes use him with Dunban's colors, and real men wear pink. Real talk, I use Shulk, Greninja, and Samus a lot because they have god-tier pink palettes. I main Roy in literally everything (Melee, PM, Brawl Minus) and I get him to fit me no matter what, so I can't see any issues here. Especially when sword characters just fit me at least 80% no matter what. Roy by himself changed my style from pretty even all-around and leaning towards defense to extremely aggressive in the last year.

If Roy gets in, I'm dropping every other character for him. :lick:

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
The character has two games without appearing ... so maybe if they can differentiate over Marth (just type what they did with the other Melee's clones)

That Rayman leak going around had me both relieved and worried. Relieved because DLC past Mewtwo would work, worried because I'm hoping for a DLC slot to pick from DLC characters (like how Mii Fighters have you pick from them), a larger roster grid, or a second page for the roster to accommodate for multiple DLC characters. I was also worried because Roy wouldn't be the first DLC character after Mewtwo, and because it looked like Rayman would be the final character on that roster. Now that it's debunked by the creator, hopefully at least one of my ideas ends up being truth, and Roy now has a chance again of possibly being the first DLC character past Mewtwo.

:157: Outta the way Rayman, here comes Royman. :157:

If Roy is the first DLC character past Mewtwo confirmed, it'll really help me with another dilemma: I want to support Lucas and some of the newcomers/veterans people want for DLC, but I want to only focus on Roy until his confirmation, because I'm worried about him losing a spot if too many characters are in before him.

I found this interesting, but I'm a bit picky about Tellius music for an Elibe lord. Still sounds good to me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What do you think of Mewtwo in Project M, or any other Brawl mods?
I only played Mewtwo in PM, and I think he's pretty cool. I don't play him like 24/7, but I like to play Mewtwo now and then. There's some things he could do that's pretty awesome, although there's a few moves (mostly the standard ones) that look kinda "off" to me, but hey, it's no big. I love his alt costume...

Which reminds me, once we get Mewtwo, he'll have some new, sparking colours. :colorful: and taunts, woo!

I like Shulk. They did an exceptionally great job on him. He's scary in singles and more terrifying in doubles, so if you play competitively, I think he's a good choice and the best swordsman choice next to Toon Link. If you don't, mains don't really matter, but I still think you should main him. I can only truly be good with sword characters and very few exceptions (64 Ness, Melee Sheik, Brawl Minus Lucas, Project M Ness and Ganondorf, a few of the Pokemon in the series) come close to my swords, so he was mostly a natural fit. Like a size 12 and a half shoe on a size 12. I sometimes use him with Dunban's colors, and real men wear pink. Real talk, I use Shulk, Greninja, and Samus a lot because they have god-tier pink palettes. I main Roy in literally everything (Melee, PM, Brawl Minus) and I get him to fit me no matter what, so I can't see any issues here. Especially when sword characters just fit me at least 80% no matter what. Roy by himself changed my style from pretty even all-around and leaning towards defense to extremely aggressive in the last year.

If Roy gets in, I'm dropping every other character for him. :lick:
Yeah, I noticed I like sword users as well. Secondaries in Brawl are Pit (okay, well he uses some kinda of blade) and Toon Link. I hope to enter the competitive scene one day, so I hope to stick with Shulk. It's funny as when I transition from PM to Smash 4, I tend to play Shulk similar to how I play Roy. And you can get pretty aggressive with Roy, but with Shulk you kinda have to adjust your gameplay depending on the Art you're currently using. So, I need to work on that haha. And I totally love all the pink colours we have for all the fighters. Pink & Swimsuit Shulk <3

I found this interesting, but I'm a bit picky about Tellius music for an Elibe lord. Still sounds good to me.
Oh man, that song's too awesome.

I only played Mewtwo in PM, and I think he's pretty cool. I don't play him like 24/7, but I like to play Mewtwo now and then. There's some things he could do that's pretty awesome, although there's a few moves (mostly the standard ones) that look kinda "off" to me, but hey, it's no big. I love his alt costume...

Which reminds me, once we get Mewtwo, he'll have some new, sparking colours. :colorful: and taunts, woo!

Yeah, I noticed I like sword users as well. Secondaries in Brawl are Pit (okay, well he uses some kinda of blade) and Toon Link. I hope to enter the competitive scene one day, so I hope to stick with Shulk. It's funny as when I transition from PM to Smash 4, I tend to play Shulk similar to how I play Roy. And you can get pretty aggressive with Roy, but with Shulk you kinda have to adjust your gameplay depending on the Art you're currently using. So, I need to work on that haha. And I totally love all the pink colours we have for all the fighters. Pink & Swimsuit Shulk <3

Oh man, that song's too awesome.
If you ever need help getting into competitive play, PM me. I'm a TO for Colorado & online tournaments, and go to a lot of events, so I could help you start out. I've been in a position where I've helped a decent number of people get into competitive play, and I've been a go-to person even being referred to from the big dogs for some reason. I'm also up for 3DS or Wii U friendlies, and I'm usually on Skype during it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If you ever need help getting into competitive play, PM me. I'm a TO for Colorado & online tournaments, and go to a lot of events, so I could help you start out. I've been in a position where I've helped a decent number of people get into competitive play, and I've been a go-to person even being referred to from the big dogs for some reason. I'm also up for 3DS or Wii U friendlies, and I'm usually on Skype during it.
Oh wow, I didn't know you're a TO, and it's great to hear that you're going to events and such.

Thanks for offering help, as I'm still kinda new to everything. I'm actually out of town and kinda busy currently, but I'd love to have some friendlies sometime. I'll send you a PM then or whenever.

Also, there's going to be a special concert in Japan for Fire Emblem's 25th anniversary.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-25th-anniversary-concert-announced-for-japan/

I'm hoping something comes out of this, like Western releases of the Japan-only FE games. Who knows, but I'm super hyped!

I just fought this insanely good Japanese player on 3DS For Glory with my Ike and Marth against his Sonic, Greninja, and Diddy Kong. This guy was extremely skilled! He did all these weird and unpredictable movement options and cancels with Sonic I've never seen, but I still managed to win. He also did a lot of stuff the best Sonics in Brawl did, so he clearly had a Brawl Sonic background. Then he pulled his Greninja and did a lot of stuff that was similar to aMSa's Greninja. Finally, he pulled Diddy, which is when Marth finally came into play, and he managed to get me to 240 before I died because I was playing smart when his down throw stopped working long ago and just respecting all the other stuff he threw out while zoning him. I can't believe I 3-0'd him. I usually watch my own funeral happen when playing against people like that. I was able to read him pretty well all three games, despite his unpredictability and very smart play. It was refreshing watching him play and come up with new stuff as he played. It makes me wish I got to play Japanese players more :c

There's nothing more satisfying than fighting a skilled Japanese player with a perfect connection (for 3DS). A lot of Americans I play on For Glory do a lot of stupid options and lag takes a lot out of the fighting. They get very salty and disrespectful, and their connections overall are ****. I'm ending Smash tonight on a really positive and refreshing note.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@ Croph Croph I'd like to be added to the supporters list.

Roy was always my favorite out of the two FE Swordsmen in Melee, and I was estatic to learn he was in Project M. 3.0. He was part of the reason I downloaded it(the other part being Mewtwo).

I thought I'd like Lucina in Smash 4, but Lucina has actually made me want Roy back more. I used Lucina for a few weeks, then tried Marth, and after 4 years, something finally clicked and I was able to use Marth. Before this installment, I was terrible with Marth. I just didn't get it. Because of this, I only now use Lucina online when I feel the matches are lagging and can't count on landing a tipper attack for damage.

Anyway, Lucina is pretty much a dead character to me now and I would much rather have Roy back than play as Lucina.

I also read the Roy for Smash 4 Petition website a few months back, just before Christmas I think. Very well done whoever is working on that here. (I've lurked for the past few months here daily, I hope you managed to fix the problem with Facebook I believe it was linking to the website)

Thanks in advance for adding me to the supporters list!

@ Croph Croph I'd like to be added to the supporters list.

Roy was always my favorite out of the two FE Swordsmen in Melee, and I was estatic to learn he was in Project M. 3.0. He was part of the reason I downloaded it(the other part being Mewtwo).

I thought I'd like Lucina in Smash 4, but Lucina has actually made me want Roy back more. I used Lucina for a few weeks, then tried Marth, and after 4 years, something finally clicked and I was able to use Marth. Before this installment, I was terrible with Marth. I just didn't get it. Because of this, I only now use Lucina online when I feel the matches are lagging and can't count on landing a tipper attack for damage.

Anyway, Lucina is pretty much a dead character to me now and I would much rather have Roy back than play as Lucina.

I also read the Roy for Smash 4 Petition website a few months back, just before Christmas I think. Very well done whoever is working on that here. (I've lurked for the past few months here daily, I hope you managed to fix the problem with Facebook I believe it was linking to the website)

Thanks in advance for adding me to the supporters list!
Thank you, I am the site owner and I think you'll like our current site more than what we had at first. I have big plans in the long run for the site.

I agree on Lucina. I like her, but I've always wanted to see her and Roy co-exist, and I have never been able to play as her seriously. I can't see how anyone could use her as a Roy replacement tbh. Trajectory and function of most of her moves are either:
A) Too similar to Marth
B) Foreign to me with a Roy background in not only Melee, but Project M and Brawl Minus as well.

She is rewarded for non-tipped moves more than Marth, but I don't feel like that's a relevant enough factor to use her as a Roy replacement. Especially since a lot of players, like myself, play Roy for him as a character.

(Knuckles is easily the best Sonic character in a trio tie with Sonic and Shadow hands down btw)

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My top most wanted characters for Smash 4 DLC are: Wolf, Lucas, Snake and Roy.

Though I don't realistically expect them all, it would be interesting if they gave the Falco/Ganondorf treatment to Roy, by giving him new moves and animations to make him stand out more from Marth (and Lucina). Considering the animation changes Marth had from Melee to Brawl in regards to his side and neutral B moves, Roy could keep the ones from Melee.

Some of his new moves could involve more the fire aspect of the sword. Perhaps, the forward Smash would have him swing the sword forward and, upon hitting the ground, it would cause a burst of flame, giving more range. Overall, his moves could leave a trail of fire with multi-hit proprieties. Say, you only catch one enemy on the sword swing, but if other foes get in the way later, they are hit by the flame trail.

Just some ideas. He could be the Luigi to Marth's Mario and Lucina's Dr. Mario, by having the same moveset foundation, but having significantly different execution.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, I am the site owner and I think you'll like our current site more than what we had at first. I have big plans in the long run for the site.

I agree on Lucina. I like her, but I've always wanted to see her and Roy co-exist, and I have never been able to play as her seriously. I can't see how anyone could use her as a Roy replacement tbh. Trajectory and function of most of her moves are either:
A) Too similar to Marth
B) Foreign to me with a Roy background in not only Melee, but Project M and Brawl Minus as well.

She is rewarded for non-tipped moves more than Marth, but I don't feel like that's a relevant enough factor to use her as a Roy replacement. Especially since a lot of players, like myself, play Roy for him as a character.

(Knuckles is easily the best Sonic character in a trio tie with Sonic and Shadow hands down btw)
Sorry about tagging the wrong person, I thought you were in charge here, but the OP sounded like it was Croph.
And I agree about Knuckles.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sorry about tagging the wrong person, I thought you were in charge here, but the OP sounded like it was Croph.
And I agree about Knuckles.
I'm the owner of the thread here (I just added you to the supporters list), and Ream owns the royforsmash4 site. Sorry about the confusion.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith Nice to hear from you. I'm not really expecting all cut vets to appear as well, however, the good thing about them is that they have fanbases and popularity thanks to previously being in Smash. They could be an easy way to make a popular DLC fighter. Though, in the end I'm sure DLC would be very profitable anyway. Smash is a huge and popular series, and one of my fave as well. I know I'm going to download all the DLC, no matter what it is.

I like the idea of moves having a fire trail with multi-hit proprieties. I've had something similar in my mind as well. And if they ever want to make Roy more unique, there's no shortage of ideas.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm the owner of the thread here (I just added you to the supporters list), and Ream owns the royforsmash4 site. Sorry about the confusion.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith Nice to hear from you. I'm not really expecting all cut vets to appear as well, however, the good thing about them is that they have fanbases and popularity thanks to previously being in Smash. They could be an easy way to make a popular DLC fighter. Though, in the end I'm sure DLC would be very profitable anyway. Smash is a huge and popular series, and one of my fave as well. I know I'm going to download all the DLC, no matter what it is.

I like the idea of moves having a fire trail with multi-hit proprieties. I've had something similar in my mind as well. And if they ever want to make Roy more unique, there's no shortage of ideas.
The fire trail idea actually came from me seeing his animations from the GBA game. Perhaps, a few of his new moves/animations could be taken from them (of course, he could still copy some animations from Marth, as I'm thinking of an evolution similar to that Ganondorf and Falco had in Brawl). Robin's Arcfire animation is taken from mages from the GBA games, interestingly enough.

I think he's likely to become a semi-clone of Marth, having the fire and unique proprieties to his moves to stand out, as well as some new animations for certain moves. It would be a way to diverge him from the clone status while keeping some familiarity from Melee.

And yeah, I will buy any and all DLC for Smash 4. Can't have enough Smash in one lifetime. :laugh: Though I admit Lucas and Wolf would leave me already satisfied (and potentially leaving speculation).

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but what made you guys Roy fans?

For me, I favored him for trivial reasons in Melee, that being Red Hair, and Fire attacks. Also, he dealt more damage to me on average than Marth.

Roy's absense from Brawl is also a big reason as to why I have Ike as a secondary today. I knew about the tipper with Marth, but for some reason, Marth's play style never clicked until I played Lucina. I am almost certain that if Roy was in Brawl instead of Ike, I would have Roy as a secondary today instead.
When Roy is added, I will definitely play him as much as I play Marth and Ike today.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but what made you guys Roy fans?

For me, I favored him for trivial reasons in Melee, that being Red Hair, and Fire attacks. Also, he dealt more damage to me on average than Marth.

Roy's absense from Brawl is also a big reason as to why I have Ike as a secondary today. I knew about the tipper with Marth, but for some reason, Marth's play style never clicked until I played Lucina. I am almost certain that if Roy was in Brawl instead of Ike, I would have Roy as a secondary today instead.
When Roy is added, I will definitely play him as much as I play Marth and Ike today.
I was actually a typical tier whoring competitive player as soon as I got into competitive play. When I first got into the scene, I wanted to play a sword character, and I felt Marth was the strongest swordsman, so I used him most, and was relieved when I saw him where he was on tier lists.

When I actually got into Fire Emblem in 2010, my absolute favorite characters were Eliwood and Roy, and they remain so after playing through the whole series. I still used Marth from 2010 to 2013, and Sheik from mid-2013 to early 2014 (where I made a full Roy switch) and since Roy felt weaker than Marth (not weak, just not as stupid good as Marth lol) I had a good pocket Roy ready for when people talked **** about him, or just to play for fun sometimes. I didn't win by as much stock and % with Roy as Marth or Sheik, but I still always felt he was good even if I never felt he was top tier material. I moved onto just 100% Roy early 2014 due to favoritism for him and his father, plus practicing my Roy ascended him to a much higher point than my previous top tier mains. His down throw tech chases to kill from 0, Double-Edge Dance, down tilt, grab, Blazer, and even Counter are so good in competitive play <3 definitely underrated there. Anyone who still thinks he's bottom 8 is gonna be sorry when they play me, I want to win a national with Roy someday and move him up to mid-tier where I truly feel he stands.

Before 2007 or 2008 I didn't give a hoot about sword characters including Roy and just played Pikachu, Pichu, and Mewtwo casually. Now I can't play to my fullest in any Smash besides 64 without a sword character. Funny how things change over time.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 You've probably heard this, but in Mew2King's Reddit ama he says multiple times he thinks Roy has the most room for improvement in the Melee tier list.

What are your thoughts on Ike, since you mained him in Brawl?

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 You've probably heard this, but in Mew2King's Reddit ama he says multiple times he thinks Roy has the most room for improvement in the Melee tier list.

What are your thoughts on Ike, since you mained him in Brawl?
brb digging for that ama.

Ike is upper-mid or high in SM4SH in my opinion. Rage (Ike gets lots of good stuff from 0 when his rage is low and his stock leads can be terrifying when he builds up rage), 1.0.4 changes with Ike buffs (especially new properties on tilts and aerials) and vectoring removed, and current legal stages in Wii U are all really healthy for Ike. He feels right in mid in Brawl, thank you based @san. for digging him out of low.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion

My brother was a big Fire Emblem fan. He first played FE7 and then due to liking it he tried FE6. FE is actually reallly boring to watch when you're not playing, so I wasn't and still am not much of a fan of the franchise. But then I saw Roy in FE6, and I dunno, it was probably his design or pure bishonen attribute of his, or just how cool he was. But I started to really like Roy for some reason.

I actually didn't know he was in Melee at that time, so you can imagine how I felt when I found out my obscure japanese-only character I was fangirling about had made it to Super Smash Bros. Sadly I never got to play Melee until 2 or 3 years back(and when I initially did, I didn't unlock Roy), I focused on Brawl with the expectation that Roy would return, but I never thought much of the character. We all know Roy's fate in Brawl...and when it hit me, it hit the Roy fan inside of me, eventually I stopped caring for the character. Until Smash 4 pre-release speculation when BluePikmin of all people mentioned in another forum about FE protagonists having blue hair, and suddenly it all came back to me..."There's always the red-haired one..."

Suffice to say, that was when my flame rekindled, and when I truly started to connect with the character again, I would say that is what had truly made me a "Roy fan". Since then, I've always supported our boy Roy and have never forgotten since. I played Melee again, finally unlocked him, mained him and in the future I'll hopefully be getting to play FE6 so that my life may finally be complete.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Back in the day, I used to play Melee with my friend a lot. I remember using Pikachu for the most part, but then my friend started to use Marth. To rival her, I started using Roy, because Marth and Roy are from the same series and whatnot (and yes, "Marth looks like a girl!" jokes were used a lot lol). Although, we also used to team up, so it was kinda expected that I'd played as Roy whenever we were playing together. And I just stuck with him after that. But it helps that I like Roy's design and fire attacks. Oh, and that he's also voiced by one of my fave Japanese VAs. <3

Sometime ago I played FE6, so I got to know Roy more. I did find the game a bit challenging, but there's nothing really wrong with that as it's still fun (there's some maps and supports that I really like). Roy's character in particular does have some "perfect" moments, though there's some parts of him that I think shine, which made me like him more. I've also read the FE6 manga which is pretty cool, and totally went crazy when I saw his redesign for Awakening. Now I'm just waiting anxiously for some SMT x FE news. :laugh:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh, by the way, if you haven't yet voted on my poll, please do so.
I've voted on the new poll already.

That's the one with the revamped Ganondorf, right? If you're going to conduct a new one in the future, I wonder if putting Roy (revamped) would gather him more votes.

I've voted on the new poll already.

That's the one with the revamped Ganondorf, right? If you're going to conduct a new one in the future, I wonder if putting Roy (revamped) would gather him more votes.
The reason a lot of people whine about Roy is because of the clone factor. While I have nothing against clones, I've actually ran into a lot of people who supported Roy after hearing the possibility of a revamp (royvamp?) and I have yet to see more than a very select few object to the idea of a new Roy, I'd say it's a 96% or 97% of people I talk to about it deal. I second putting a revamped Roy option in any polls strongly, with just a Roy(FE) option next to it to really emphasize the difference.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As someone who is neutral on Roy I will provide a neutral stance on him:

Roy would be interesting if he is given some new moves and attributes to those moves (not changing him too much, but something that makes him more diverse).

Give him fire based attacks that can do a little bit of damage over time, about %1-3 every 4 seconds (after that it stops) after landing a successful hit.

Roy's character design is intriguing, but his new one more so.

Just my thoughts.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The reason a lot of people whine about Roy is because of the clone factor. While I have nothing against clones, I've actually ran into a lot of people who supported Roy after hearing the possibility of a revamp (royvamp?) and I have yet to see more than a very select few object to the idea of a new Roy, I'd say it's a 96% or 97% of people I talk to about it deal. I second putting a revamped Roy option in any polls strongly, with just a Roy(FE) option next to it to really emphasize the difference.
Definitely.

I understand that there's people out there who would like to see Roy clone-ish, however, since revamped Ganon is an option on the poll, and has gotten a fair amount of votes, I'm sure Roy would gain some more if he has such option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom