• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go ahead and think about what to put in a video while I'm at work, it's a short shift. I'll come back with what's on my mind, and I'm alright with being a voice or the voice of the video, recording as much as needed.

I only know of people getting Earthbound on Miiverse due to an insane amount of Japanese Miiverse posts, despite various failed attempts to get the game before that. I haven't looked into other successful stuff for TV/games, but I'm interested in looking into it, if you have any sources or names of successful events. We could search for someone who can type and read both English and Japanese, if you know any good places to look. That could be part of our Nico Nico video.

I can message M2K and ZeRo, since I talk to them now and then. I'm not sure where to start on other pro smashers, but I'll think about that at work as well.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'll go ahead and think about what to put in a video while I'm at work, it's a short shift. I'll come back with what's on my mind, and I'm alright with being a voice or the voice of the video, recording as much as needed.

I only know of people getting Earthbound on Miiverse due to an insane amount of Japanese Miiverse posts, despite various failed attempts to get the game before that. I haven't looked into other successful stuff for TV/games, but I'm interested in looking into it, if you have any sources or names of successful events. We could search for someone who can type and read both English and Japanese, if you know any good places to look. That could be part of our Nico Nico video.

I can message M2K and ZeRo, since I talk to them now and then. I'm not sure where to start on other pro smashers, but I'll think about that at work as well.
In regards to successful events, there's EarthBound (like you mentioned), Operation Rainfall (getting The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora's Tower localized), and I'm not sure what Operation Moonfall did specifically (campaign to get Major's Mask remade on 3DS), but Eiji Aonuma did acknowledge the campaign. Problem is, Zelda is huge, but look at everyone in the facebook group and well as all who Liked the royforsmash4 website. At least it's something.

Check out this article on TVtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SendingStuffToSaveTheShow. There's examples of campaigns people did to stop cancellations of TV shows, and video game campaigns. There's success stories, as well as failures, but it's interesting to read nonetheless.

At least, I think the mass mailing and video idea are pretty important steps that should get fleshed out. I appreciate all your help and ideas! The more people we have on board, the better.

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting, but this is big.

I recognize that Mewtwo and Lucas from other "leaks," Mewtwo looks a bit off to me, but that Roy looks... too good. Too good to be true? I hope not. There's also the black and white question mark resembling the random button, planned DLC slot to build up hype or something else big?

This is the first leak I've seen with Roy, and a REALLY good mugshot at that. Where would they even get that Roy?

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Sorry for double posting, but this is big.

I recognize that Mewtwo and Lucas from other "leaks," Mewtwo looks a bit off to me, but that Roy looks... too good. Too good to be true? I hope not. There's also the black and white question mark resembling the random button, planned DLC slot to build up hype or something else big?

This is the first leak I've seen with Roy, and a REALLY good mugshot at that. Where would they even get that Roy?
That's because it's from the Leaks thread, and I'm using it as my avatar. It's from @Codex9's graphics mod to make the characters of Brawl look like the models of SSB4. They're discussing it now anyway.

I'm sad that it's fake, but that Roy picture you're using looks really good.

If anything, it's more motivation to see that good ol mug back on the CSS. I'm going to get a mass mailing going this weekend.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Right, so when we do the mass mailing I suggest we send letters to these 3 places: Nintendo of America, Intelligent Systems, and Namco Bandai (all the addresses are in the OP) and include some sort of item/gift relating to Roy or Super Smash or anything you think is relevant. For example, including fanart of Roy, a picture of your FE and Smash Bros. game collection, something more creative, etc.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas for the video as well. Gonna do some research and see if we could get some inspiration from existing campaign videos (for whatever, could be Smash 4 DLC related, TV related, etc.).

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 do you know how much traffic the royforsmash4 website gets on a daily basis? If it's a decent amount (even weekly/monthly), I have some ideas which may help spread the support and campaigns around.

Last edited:
Right, so when we do the mass mailing I suggest we send letters to these 3 places: Nintendo of America, Intelligent Systems, and Namco Bandai (all the addresses are in the OP) and include some sort of item/gift relating to Roy or Super Smash or anything you think is relevant. For example, including fanart of Roy, a picture of your FE and Smash Bros. game collection, something more creative, etc.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas for the video as well. Gonna do some research and see if we could get some inspiration from existing campaign videos (for whatever, could be Smash 4 DLC related, TV related, etc.).

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 do you know how much traffic the royforsmash4 website gets on a daily basis? If it's a decent amount (even weekly/monthly), I have some ideas which may help spread the support and campaigns around.
Probably a few dozen views a day from my sig, I'd like to remodel the site at some point since the flaws are becoming more apparent over time. I'll focus it more on stuff that can be done to improve our odds, and split that and the reasoning into two sections.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Probably a few dozen views a day from my sig, I'd like to remodel the site at some point since the flaws are becoming more apparent over time. I'll focus it more on stuff that can be done to improve our odds, and split that and the reasoning into two sections.
Do you mind if I PM you some ideas/suggestions for the site? It's pretty great overall, but I have some rough statistics in regards to views/daily time spent on the site that I'd like to share with you. And I think improving on some certain areas may help increase traffic and viewer interest.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I would like to be added to the supporters list, if possible.
Also, I don't know if this was brought up, but way back to the first SMT-X-FE teaser trailer, as we know they showed our boy Roy. But that shouldn't mean anything since every single lord is there, should it? Well, I noticed that Sigurd, Celice and Leaf weren't there. And Marth and Sheeda/Caeda were in their Shadow Dragon design. Which means Roy and Lililna were the only characters shown with artwork from a game released only in Japan! Maybe this means something?

I know, I know, I'm heavily gasping straws here, but it gives me a little hope, a hope that Roy will be relevant to FE and be Smash DLC and everything's sunshine and rainbows :upsidedown:

royforsmash4.com has been recently revamped. The content has been broken up a bit, and there's now a site portal at the top. This definitely isn't the final update, since there's a lot to come, but it's definitely noteworthy since supporting Roy is no longer something people need to scroll through a book for.

If you want, please spread the site again and mention the recent change, since the change should make it much easier to support Roy for DLC.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Looks great and I can't wait to see the updates. Once the site's makeover is done, I'm going to keep track on the monthly statistics, and hopefully we'll see some numbers increase (or decrease since the bounce rate can now properly take effect).

royalblue

Smash Cadet
This site is looking great! Since this isn't the final update I am wondering one thing though: are the statistics of Facebook likes going to come back at some point? I know that was just a small little thing at the bottom of the website but the last time I saw it it was at 1,800+ which is the highest concentration of support for Roy I'd ever seen in one place. I feel like that number was a powerful point to bring up to anyone we try to contact (Nintendo, IS, Namco Bandai, etc).

This site is looking great! Since this isn't the final update I am wondering one thing though: are the statistics of Facebook likes going to come back at some point? I know that was just a small little thing at the bottom of the website but the last time I saw it it was at 1,800+ which is the highest concentration of support for Roy I'd ever seen in one place. I feel like that number was a powerful point to bring up to anyone we try to contact (Nintendo, IS, Namco Bandai, etc).
I lost it simply by adding features to the site :( since it's going to keep disappearing whenever I add new features, I'm going to wait until there's a final version of the site, and my first goal at that point is 2,000.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
I lost it simply by adding features to the site :( since it's going to keep disappearing whenever I add new features, I'm going to wait until there's a final version of the site, and my first goal at that point is 2,000.
Oh no! It really stinks that you're forced to sacrifice the stats every time you do an update, but I suppose sometimes sacrifices like that have to be made to move forward. I am happy to hear that the statistics will eventually be back up on the final version, and when they are I will definitely do what I can to help reach that goal of 2000 (and many more after that too!).

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
I honestly think that they will announce roy sooner or later as he is by far one of the most requested characters and with the new Fire Emblem coming out they can most certainly squeeze him in. While some people say that he won't because his moves are in as custom moves for Marth I would say that means that it is more likely as they can have some of his moves at the ready. I think they will add him in but this time with the Melee shield breaker, His melee recovery, less laggy aerials, slower, roy's melee counter, Roy's PM f tilt and the same mechanics and sweetspots as his melee counter part. PS, I actually want eliwood in this part but roy is more wanted so yeah

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
because his moves are in as custom moves for Marth
Hmm, as far as I know, none of his move are in Marth's custom. Flare Blade, Counter (with fire effect) and his recovery are not in game. Even his side B was a bit different, due to fire attacks.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
Hmm, as far as I know, none of his move are in Marth's custom. Flare Blade, Counter (with fire effect) and his recovery are not in game. Even his side B was a bit different, due to fire attacks.
I thought his up b was added as a custom move for marth but even if they weren't added in that still holds a fair chance for Roy to be in maybe even more of a chance then before

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
The royforsmash4 site could use some...vibrancy. A white background isn't really that pretty to look at, lol.

I honestly think that they will announce roy sooner or later as he is by far one of the most requested characters and with the new Fire Emblem coming out they can most certainly squeeze him in. While some people say that he won't because his moves are in as custom moves for Marth I would say that means that it is more likely as they can have some of his moves at the ready. I think they will add him in but this time with the Melee shield breaker, His melee recovery, less laggy aerials, slower, roy's melee counter, Roy's PM f tilt and the same mechanics and sweetspots as his melee counter part. PS, I actually want eliwood in this part but roy is more wanted so yeah
Thinking of Roy's specials and the custom moves mechanic gave me more hope:

Wolf's specials are on Fox, Lucas's specials are on Ness, Young Link's specials are on Toon Link, Pichu's specials were the same as Pikachu's, I don't truly know where Squirtle/Ivysaur/Snake's specials would go, but Roy's specials aren't even on any FE characters. While Lucario could have been given custom moves including a fixed teleport instead of an aura-dependant launch, a command grab similar to Mewtwo's instead of his own, Shadow Ball with the same weird movement as Mewtwo's rather than Lucario's Aura Sphere, and Mewtwo's disable instead of a counter considering the specials on other characters, he wasn't given any of that. We got Mewtwo as DLC. This leads me to believe that Roy for DLC is likely, or he was once again the most worked-on character behind Mewtwo just like in Brawl.

While Eliwood is my #1 favorite FE character, I want to see Roy return first and foremost as a veteran. I'm really hoping he gets an Eliwood palette, since Ike has a Greil palette. That would easily be my main palette, for the same reason I like his blue palette in Project M, and Ike's blue palette in both Brawl and Smash 4: Throwbacks to Fire Emblem games.

The royforsmash4 site could use some...vibrancy. A white background isn't really that pretty to look at, lol.
I have a visual redesign planned for the future. @ Croph Croph gave good suggestions, my final goal is a really nice-looking site with a great background, font color, and much more illustration via images and more entertaining content.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Letter campaign #1

On the second Saturday of every month, we plan to have a mass mailing. There are 3 places that we should mail to: Nintendo of America, Namco Bandai, and Intelligent Systems. Addresses:

• Nintendo of America: 4600 150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052, United States
  • Namco Bandai: 1740 Technology Drive, Suite 600; San Jose, CA 95110
  • Intelligent Systems main office: INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS CO., LTD., 10 Daimotsu-cho Kamitoba Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi Kyoto-fu 601-8121, Japan

Over the years, people have written and sent physical letters to important people in regards to campaigns they did. Some examples include sending letters (and gifts) to television networks to help stop the cancellations of TV shows/asking for another season. Part of what made Operation Rainfall successful is the continuous mass mailing supporters and fans did.

So, calling all Roy supporters and fans! Grab a pen and paper and get writing (or typing) because we're going to send letters on the 14th! Getting 20 people to mail letters is nice and all, however, I hope to go bigger than that. We need all the support we could get. If you're not sure what to write about, check near the end of the OP for a rough letter outline, or if you're short on time, you can always copy my letter:
Dear Nintendo of America,

I'm an avid fan of the Super Smash Bros. series and I am aware that there will be character DLC for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U in the future, with Mewtwo being available next year. As such, I thought it would be appropriate to contact you in regards to a suggestion I have: would you consider developing Roy (from the Fire Emblem series) as a DLC fighter for Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U?

Roy was introduced in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a clone fighter, however, he hasn't returned since. His removal has negatively affected me, as Roy is the main fighter I use in Melee. In addition, I miss the various fun things he brought to the series such as his fighting style and character. Many other "clone" fighters from Melee have gotten unique characteristics and moves attributed to them in this installment, and I'm sure the same thing would happen to Roy if he were in. Not only that, but his unique sword has fire and magical properties, which can be a starting point for an interesting, new moveset. Roy's sword also does more damage near the middle of the blade, making him have an interesting rushdown playstyle -- a playstyle in which a fighter has to get close and in his opponent's face is something I'm fond of. Although the game Roy hails from (Fire Emblem: Binding Blade) has never been released in the West, I am still intrigued by Roy and I also love his youthful character he brought to the Smash Bros. series.

I appreciate Nintendo taking the time to read my request. I am willing to purchase Roy for DLC, and I know many others would as well. If you have some time to spare, please check out this website made by Roy supporters: www.royforsmash4.com. The site goes over reasons why we want to see Roy again, why he would be a great choice for DLC, what could he offer as a fighter, and many other things. The site has also gathered over 1, 200 supporters for the return of Roy.

Thank you,

[name here]

Also, I would suggest including an item/gift in the letter relating to Roy or our cause. For example, fanart of Roy, a picture of your FE and Smash Bros. game collection, something more creative, etc.

There are many success stories in regards to letter campaigns, as well as failures, but ultimately it doesn't hurt to try. Read more about the stories here.

Let's show everyone our support!

Also, please remember: be polite and courteous when reaching out via social media. There's nothing wrong with trying to make a strong, loud impression, however, we should also make a good impression

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 should you post this in the facebook group or myself?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh wow, those buttons/magnets are awesome!

I'm not really sure on copyrighted merchandise tbh. I would like to say they wouldn't care, but since we didn't make it ourselves (unless if we lie), and it is profitable merchandise (they're up for sale), it's probably safer if we make our own goods. Fanart shouldn't be a problem, since I know people have sent IS FE fanart in the past for the FE11 website.

So, cheap/easy gifts:

- Picture crafts you could make like collages (could throw in a bunch of different miiverse posts about Roy, or just make a general Roy collage).
- Perhaps not this month, but sometime we could ask everyone to send in an item that's a certain theme, like all make swords out of whatever material (I guess paper since it's the safest). Or maybe a specific FE item
- Food. Well, idk about sending real food, but perhaps take a picture of like FE related cookies or cake you've made

I'm going to try to come up with more ideas. Sounds like fun anyway. Oh, I just remembered a lot of people tweet pictures of fanart or gifts they made to Game Freak. GF/Junichi Masuda replies to a lot of people, which is why I see tons of awesome Pokemon related pics/gifts people made. I'll see if I could get some ideas from them.

Last edited:
If the higher-ups at IS don't retweet FE stuff, we send them Pokemon stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZYNBagP4

It's a whole new world we live in (live in)!
Pokemon Johto!
Do do do do do do do, do do do do do do do
Everybody wants to be a master
Everybody wants to show their skills
Everybody wants to get there faster
Make their way to the top of the hill
Each time! You try!
Gonna get just a little bit faster
Each time! You climb!
One more step, up the ladder
It's a whole new world we live in
It's a whole new way to see
It's a whole new place, with a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch'em all!
And be the best that you can be!
It's a whole new world we live in (live in)!
But you still gotta catch'em all
And be the best that you can be
Pokemon Johto!
Pokemon Johto!

Here's the song in Hindi! in case we need it.

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
May I be added to the supporters list?

I have never been particularly good at playing Roy, but I have always enjoyed him in Melee, and I have a new appreciation for the character after importing FE6 and playing it. I do not see a reason why Nintendo would not make him DLC at one point, considering his popularity among fans and the fact that he is a clone of Marth.

In terms of gameplay, I think it would be interesting if Roy had the sweetspot of the Sword of Seals closer to the center/hilt of the sword (like in Melee). This would set him apart from Marth (sweetspot is at the tip of Falchion) and Lucina (Falchion does even damage throughout). Also, it would be nice if his attacks were more powerful than Marth's (but less powerful than Ike's) in order to offset the need to be closer to the opponent to work effectively.

TL;DR Roy would be great as Smash 4 DLC.

Some Roy stuff just sitting in my bookmarks. Some of it may take a while to load.

I swear there were a few more in there. I had one of Roy doing a crazy combo on Dr. Mario across Yoshi's Story and then SD'ing, and a crazy one of either Shokio or Sethlon (or both of them in separate gifs) comboing IC's to the ledge in Project M and then using the up smash spike on Popo.

Last edited:
With 1.0.5 on the 3DS, there are some new online features we could really use in our favor.

1: Mii Fighters:
-Obviously, creating and posting at least one Roy Mii apiece on Miiverse (our own interpretations of him) is a great way to help out. Also be sure to send them to friends. Multiple ones are encouraged if you have multiple Mii interpretations of him, and if you make better one(s) down the road, please post those.

2: Snapshots:
-Posting good-looking or funny snapshots on Miiverse that are likely to become popular with something like "Roy from Fire Emblem for DLC!" after the original caption or as the caption itself if you can't think of a caption will help.

3: Replays:
-Any replays featuring the purple-caped Marth.

Hopefully, the Wii U version will update soon since the 3DS version had some character changes, rumored to ONLY be bug fixes. We'll see if the same features or any new features pop up to help our campaign.

Johto&SinnohFan

Smash Rookie
Please add me to the list of supporters =3 I might not play as Roy, and I only know of Roy from Fire Emblem: Awakening, but some of my friends love to play as Roy which is why we still play Project Melee sometimes, and I know what it's like losing a favorite... plus he's cute :love: I really want to see him again with how amazing the new game looks. All the Fire Emblem guys looks soooooo good, so imagining Roy is actually kind of scary XD

I joined smashboards today because of this thread, I've only lurked for the longest time haha =P

Last edited:
Please add me to the list of supporters =3 I might not play as Roy, and I only know of Roy from Fire Emblem: Awakening, but some of my friends love to play as Roy which is why we still play Project Melee sometimes, and I know what it's like losing a favorite... plus he's cute :love: I really want to see him again with how amazing the new game looks. All the Fire Emblem guys looks soooooo good, so imagining Roy is actually kind of scary XD

I joined smashboards today because of this thread, I've only lurked for the longest time haha =P
Yeah Roy's a cute. Even I can agree. Look into Roy's game, it's really good. Like @ loganhogan loganhogan suggested, I want a remake badly if Roy comes back, or at least the game coming to the west on the Wii U eshop.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Roy's cute?!

You have good taste. :smirk:

And yeah, he'd look amazing in full HD with all his fire glory.

Also, I have to post this from the facebook group:

time to add this to the OP

Last edited:
Roy's cute?!

You have good taste. :smirk:

And yeah, he'd look amazing in full HD with all his fire glory.

Also, I have to post this from the facebook group:

time to add this to the OP
You didn't even quote me calling him a cute.

#hurt

That's been one of my themes on PM/Brawl Minus's Castle Siege for the longest time. God bless.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Last edited:
I found the one where Roy goes untouched, finishes with a meteor, and it causes him to SD Fox-style while his opponent does a meteor cancel to survive :urg:

I'm glad about no meteor cancels in SM4SH, because if Roy is confirmed, it's one of the things that'll really help his viability. Hell, I don't even see why they kept it as just a meteor in Project M. But meteors are firey, so I see the logic.

I manage to land it more and more as time passes. It feels so good to land it in brackets or when I have people gathered around me during friendlies. Roy hype competitively always helps, especially when people who dislike Roy start to get excited for him and grow to like him. That's what happened with a few Colorado players with my Roy and Grandmaster Sexay's Roy in both Melee and Project M. We even have a new PM Roy now that our PM guy sent to me for tutoring, and he's having a hell of a time so far. I bet as more time passes, they'll want to watch our Roys in the newest game. Again, if he does get confirmed, I really hope they'll enjoy it all. That's why I want Roy even more and more as time passes.

I love Lucas, Wolf, and Roy tons, I realize it more as I play Project M, vanilla Brawl, Melee, Melee SD Remix, and Brawl Minus, and I don't think I can empathize with anyone who doesn't think they're unique enough to return. Screw them, they're awesome characters being fought against by uptight no-lifes who whine about extra content that doesn't force them to play as the stuff in said content. I can't even call Lucas and Wolf clones, and Roy functions in a very unique way compared to Marth. After seeing Luigi, Falco, and Ganondorf over the years, and now seeing Roy in Brawl Minus and Project M, I have faith Nintendo itself will create a unique version of Roy if modders can do it in their spare time, seeing how many people ***** about clones to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom