• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceColdSoda

Smash Cadet
The group is our base operations about many things actually, not just getting Roy in. However, yes the roster has been set in stone on day one but anything can change. I actually do have reason to believe Roy is already in the game but we might as well do something to promote him.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
The group is our base operations about many things actually, not just getting Roy in. However, yes the roster has been set in stone on day one but anything can change. I actually do have reason to believe Roy is already in the game but we might as well do something to promote him.
Roy's not a bad lord, he's just not overpowered like Ike.
>the roster has been completely chosen from day 1
>it can change
no, it kind of can't. that's how game design works. i never said that i don't like roy, i feel that he's a pretty bad lord in his own game tbh, but he's not as bad as chrom or micaiah.
>roy's not a bad lord, he's just not overpowered like ike
ike isn't really overpowered, but you're right about roy not being overpowered, in fact, he's quite underpowered, and if the sword of seals wasn't so broken, i would probably have liked him significantly less.

IceColdSoda

Smash Cadet
>it can change
no, it kind of can't. that's how game design works. i never said that i don't like roy, i feel that he's a pretty bad lord in his own game tbh, but he's not as bad as chrom or micaiah.
ike isn't really overpowered, but you're right about roy not being overpowered, in fact, he's quite underpowered, and if the sword of seals wasn't so broken, i would probably have liked him significantly less.
Yeah I know it can't change and I still think he's in anyways. Fire Emblem has always had a secret character right? Sakurai already announced 4 characters in the Fire Emblem series and if any series as 4+ characters Fire Emblem would make sense. And who would make a better Fire Emblem secret character than our boy, Roy? Even if Roy doesn't make it in he can still get in through the dark and foggy route of DLC.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know it can't change and I still think he's in anyways. Fire Emblem has always had a secret character right? Sakurai already announced 4 characters in the Fire Emblem series and if any series as 4+ characters Fire Emblem would make sense. And who would make a better Fire Emblem secret character than our boy, Roy? Even if Roy doesn't make it in he can still get in through the dark and foggy route of DLC.
>yeah i know it can't change
> the roster has been set in stone on day one but anything can change
there also hasn't been any confirmation of dlc
and why are you even bringing up secret characters? they're not going to bring in a character that was cut from brawl out without saying anything.

Last edited:

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
However, yes the roster has been set in stone on day one but anything can change.
Just stop. Roy is no Sonic; if he wasn't chosen from day one then he's not getting in now. There isn't nearly enough demand for that to happen, and your Facebook group isn't going to change anything. The amount of pages in this thread should be indicative of that already. Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but you keep saying "if we do something things can change" and it's getting kind of annoying.

K41N570RM

Smash Rookie
If our boy Roy isn't in the game I'd have to make a mii swordfighter and frankly it just wouldn't be the same, there's always melee and project m right? Right?

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
>it can change
Heh, makes me laugh to see Chrom and Micaiah be at the bottom most of the time. One gets doubled a lot and the other's bland as they come.

OT regarding Roy: I heard he was cut from Brawl because the developers viewed him as "boring".

I wouldn't mind having Roy back but I wonder if DLC will be able to save him.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Heh, makes me laugh to see Chrom and Micaiah be at the bottom most of the time. One gets doubled a lot and the other's bland as they come.

OT regarding Roy: I heard he was cut from Brawl because the developers viewed him as "boring".

I wouldn't mind having Roy back but I wonder if DLC will be able to save him.
hopefully so.

•Col•

Smash Champion
lolwut?

That's not true at all. If anything, the reason he was cut from Brawl's roster was due to time restraints. (Roy, alongside Mewtwo, have character files within the Brawl coding)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
lolwut?

That's not true at all. If anything, the reason he was cut from Brawl's roster was due to time restraints. (Roy, alongside Mewtwo, have character files within the Brawl coding)
If they had a bit more time, I wonder how he would have played...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
By the way, some people say Roy's the worst Lord in Fire Emblem (I know it's kinda hard for me to hear some things like that, given that he and Marth are what got me into the series), but could you at least explain what Roy's faults are in his game, not just his stats, but personality. Does he stop growing as a character, is he not a likeable character, or does he not do much compared to other characters? :( (Prepares to have dreams of a favourite main ruined.) :roymelee:

Despite this, I can't really say I hate a single character in Fire Emblem except Aversa. She's way too overly sexualised, not to mention that she hogs Shadowgift to herself (when characters like Robin, Henry, Tharja really need it the most, Robin especially now that he uses Nosferatu in Smash Bros).

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
By the way, some people say Roy's the worst Lord in Fire Emblem (I know it's kinda hard for me to hear some things like that, given that he and Marth are what got me into the series), but could you at least explain what Roy's faults are in his game, not just his stats, but personality. Does he stop growing as a character, is he not a likeable character, or does he not do much compared to other characters? :( (Prepares to have dreams of a favourite main ruined.) :roymelee:

Despite this, I can't really say I hate a single character in Fire Emblem except Aversa. She's way too overly sexualised, not to mention that she hogs Shadowgift to herself (when characters like Robin, Henry, Tharja really need it the most, Robin especially now that he uses Nosferatu in Smash Bros).
Well, a prominent flaw he has in FE6 is that he promotes really late -and FE6 is one of the hardest entries in the series, that says a lot-. As in, in Chapter 22, that's the Final Chapter (if you're not going for the True Ending). Another flaw that he has is that his growth rate is entirely based on luck from your part, either he turns out to be good or he is just okay-ish. Also everyone expects their protagonists to be undoubtful, no-questioning badasses like Hector and Ephraim. I like those two, but the stereotype is overrated to be honest.

Personally the only FE character I could hate -or actually just find annoying- is Vaike. His ego is way too high.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
So the only real reason people complain & say he's the worst Lord is because of his luck-based stat growth? That's stupid.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
So the only real reason people complain & say he's the worst Lord is because of his luck-based stat growth? That's stupid.
He's the main character, luck is not how a main character should be based. If Roy dies it's game over, do you really want to let your game be decided by luck?

And luck is his best stat, while his other stats are subpar. A good example of a Lord should be is Eliwood who has balanced stats but is still strong enough to be in the middle of the battle, or even (ugh I hate to say this) Chrom. Chrom is boring as all hell, but his stats are good enough to not make him an awful character.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Roy is gone and will never return. He was put in Melee as promotion for an upcoming Fire Emblem game and was cut in Brawl due to time constraints. Now Fire Emblem has 4 characters. It most certainly wont get as many characters as Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. Those are the big 3. Hell it almost only had 3 reps with Lucina being an alt originally. Roy is dead and gone forever.

Though if DLC characters become a thing then yeah he could probably be DLC but only then in that situation could he come back.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
In a game like FE, obviously the players are going to be elitists. The popularity of a character equals how useful they are in the battlefield for them. And Roy is an unit who is literally forced to keep around. In the end he's better staying behind.

I like Roy, but even I'm finding that annoying. I wanted to use him, for him to hold his own, but the game won't let you.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
My thoughts are the same.

Roy is gone and will never return. He was put in Melee as promotion for an upcoming Fire Emblem game and was cut in Brawl due to time constraints. Now Fire Emblem has 4 characters. It most certainly wont get as many characters as Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. Those are the big 3. Hell it almost only had 3 reps with Lucina being an alt originally. Roy is dead and gone forever.

Though if DLC characters become a thing then yeah he could probably be DLC but only then in that situation could he come back.
I'd be especially happy if Roy made it back as DLC, but yeah, it looks like he might never come back to Smash Bros, the game that established his series' current fame with Awakening. :( (The Smash Brethren DLC is fun, and I guess it makes up for Roy not being in Brawl. :) )

It's a little sad that the only game I'll ever get to play as him (outside of emulators) is Melee, but I'm glad that Sakurai added him (and Marth, too) in Super Smash Bros. If he hadn't added either of them, Fire Emblem would just be a little Nintendo secret, and we might never have had Fire Emblem Awakening as it is today, or as many characters being represented in this great game. :marthmelee::marth::4marth::ike::4myfriends::roymelee::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In a game like FE, obviously the players are going to be elitists. The popularity of a character equals how useful they are in the battlefield for them. And Roy is an unit who is literally forced to keep around. In the end he's better staying behind.

I like Roy, but even I'm finding that annoying. I wanted to use him, for him to hold his own, but the game won't let you.
It's almost like tier listing. :(

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
It's almost like tier listing. :(
It basically is. Unlike FE13, previous Fire Emblem games didn't let you reclass at will, and specially you couldn't go back to an initial class. Units only had one promotion and that's it, plus the story was with absolutely no skirmishes (except if you count FE2 and FE8), so it's clear that players will be using the most useful units if they want to beat the game.

That's why the older FE fans -at least most of them- are unhappy with Awakening. I love FE:A -favorite in the series-, but I have to agree that it's much easier than the other games because of level grinding, and the tremendous lack in variety for objectives (I would have liked a "Survive for X turns" or "Win in X turns" or even "Capture 3 Spots"). Hopefully the next FE game will feature more variety.

Last edited:

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
He's the main character, luck is not how a main character should be based. If Roy dies it's game over, do you really want to let your game be decided by luck?
Well, making him weaker forces you to play more strategically since you'd lose if he dies. So I personally wouldn't mind.

Harsh but probably true. :(

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Well, making him weaker forces you to play more strategically since you'd lose if he dies. So I personally wouldn't mind.
Yeah, that's a good design choice since it makes you worry more about him, but at the same time it will cause you to be more frustrated when dealing with him to the point where you don't even wanna bring him to missions.

And even so, that doesn't change the fact that Roy is the worst lord stat wise (and he's a bit bland but not Chrom bland).

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
Roy is a great character in both Smash Bros and Binding Blade, but unfortunately, his chances are quite low for being confirmed as an official character or dlc. I really prefer Roy much more than Lucina. But now that she is in, it tells us that Roy is out of the game. I do not like the idea of having three clones. If he makes it, it would be a big surprise for everyone including me. As for FE6, the game Is just right in its own way. Roy does not have bad growths, they are actually better than most of the characters in the game. He also promotes very late, that's fine, he can get a lot of experience points in chapters 22, 23 and 24 which is more than enough because a big portion of your other comrades would've been already trained up to level 40. If Roy is really terrible for you, it means that you were out of luck. The game is one of my top favorites because its a challenge, and I always seek for great challenges.

#Roy'sOurBoy

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
As for FE6, the game Is just right in its own way. Roy does not have bad growths, they are actually better than most of the characters in the game. He also promotes very late, that's fine, he can get a lot of experience points in chapters 22, 23 and 24 which is more than enough because a big portion of your other comrades would've been already trained up to level 40. If Roy is really terrible for you, it means that you were out of luck. The game is one of my top favorites because its a challenge, and I always seek for great challenges.
I started with FE6 and I'll say it's probably my best experience when commencing with a new franchise. It definitely sealed (heh) the fact that I'd love the entire franchise. Even with it's crazy difficulty! What I say it's a complain that a lot of people have but in the end, well, it gives us a really challenging game. I liked it for that, and yeah Roy can easily catch up after that, but the fact of having to babysit him is kinda annoying. Either way, Roy does become a killing machine when he promotes, and with the Binding Blade/Sword of Seals, he's -almost- unstoppable.

Makes me wish there was a remake of FE6/7 with some of Awakening's mechanics.

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
I started with FE6 and I'll say it's probably my best experience when commencing with a new franchise. It definitely sealed (heh) the fact that I'd love the entire franchise. Even with it's crazy difficulty! What I say it's a complain that a lot of people have but in the end, well, it gives us a really challenging game. I liked it for that, and yeah Roy can easily catch up after that, but the fact of having to babysit him is kinda annoying. Either way, Roy does become a killing machine when he promotes, and with the Binding Blade/Sword of Seals, he's -almost- unstoppable.

Makes me wish there was a remake of FE6/7 with some of Awakening's mechanics.
If you want a better challenge, try FE4 and 5. They are the best and nothing passes them in the series.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
If you want a better challenge, try FE4 and 5. They are the best and nothing passes them in the series.
Already did. FE4 was actually a bit too long and slow-paced for my tastes. Plus the many different armies made it a bit difficult to follow. And FE5 is not hard in a fair way, if you understand what I'm talking about. I'll give you the fog of war, but missing a heal?

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
Already did. FE4 was actually a bit too long and slow-paced for my tastes. Plus the many different armies made it a bit difficult to follow. And FE5 is not hard in a fair way, if you understand what I'm talking about. I'll give you the fog of war, but missing a heal?
I find that if you want to make the story well done with couples and all that in 5, then you must pay enough attention. But agreed in a certain way. So you've played them all?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I find that if you want to make the story well done with couples and all that in 5, then you must pay enough attention. But agreed in a certain way. So you've played them all?
More or less, yeah. Except the NES ones. FE4 was a one-play only since I did find the pairing mechanic and the jealousy system too complex, again with the many different factions. Plus the maps being ridiculously big makes it even more complex. I prefer small, yet challenging maps.

Damn the berserk staff in FE6 though, damn it all. Pain in the crackers on my first run.

My least favorite of them has to be Sacred Stones, it's too easy that you end up disliking it, even in the harder difficulties. But my favorite so far has to be Awakening, the Elibe saga being my 2nd fav.

Last edited:

Psionic

Smash Journeyman

he pretty much has no character whatsoever.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
I hope roy is back I like him better than Marth. If not hopefully project m will be on wii u smash.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

And luck is his best stat, while his other stats are subpar. A good example of a Lord should be is Eliwood who has balanced stats but is still strong enough to be in the middle of the battle, or even (ugh I hate to say this) Chrom. Chrom is boring as all hell, but his stats are good enough to not make him an awful character.
Well....Chrom becomes kinda useless once Lucina hits the scene, she has an INFINITE WEAPON THAT KILLS RELIABLY MOST OF THE TIME, (Sumia and Female Robin are awesome) and friggin Galeforce. Add that she has better Skill and Speed and with better Skill set, she is way better than Chrom. Chrom is not bad by any means, but he is boring, monotone, has limited skill pool and has trouble with his mediocre skill and speed later on in the Valm chapters, unless you pair him up. Lucina ***** those chapters any day of the week, unless we are talking about Lunatic mode. Roy sucks and every other character not named Wendy, Sophia, or Jeigan is better than him in every single way. Leif of Thracia is worse than Roy though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I still find Lucina less impressive of a clone of Marth than Roy as of his implementation in Project M. I might though think both won't differ too much from the way they play, so I might main both between the games they appear. But yeah, not a big fan of Lucina for what she is in Smash. I'd prefer Roy much more instead, especially in his Project M-incarnation (and we'd have actually a playable Elibe-rep)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
And even so, that doesn't change the fact that Roy is the worst lord stat wise (and he's a bit bland but not Chrom bland).
No, Leif is the worst. At least Roy has growths and stats, Leif has Jeigan growths, in other words, almost nothing, and he needs to be in every level of the game, and because AI likes to gang **** lords and the RNG is really cruel in Thracia, Leif will die and die like a billion times. Roy has nothing interesting to look at other that he has a harem composed by a stalker nomad, a pegasus knight, a mage princess that is his potential cousin, a pleasure dancer, a half dragon and his pervert teacher. And he has red hair. With this presented, Chrom looks boring in comparison.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
No, Leif is the worst. At least Roy has growths and stats, Leif has Jeigan growths, in other words, almost nothing, and he needs to be in every level of the game, and because AI likes to gang **** lords and the RNG is really cruel in Thracia, Leif will die and die like a billion times. Roy has nothing interesting to look at other that he has a harem composed by a stalker nomad, a pegasus knight, a mage princess that is his potential cousin, a pleasure dancer, a half dragon and his pervert teacher. And he has red hair. With this presented, Chrom looks boring in comparison.
You already told me that he was the worst. But yeah, pretty much.

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
I really like the way you express yourself. It's very special. I remember when you were talking about how Arvis burns people like Sigurd and afterwards STEALS their wives. You also added a bunch of other things that didn't make any sense.

Roy was probably my best character in one of my runs. He is not bad at all. Every character can only be judged by his/her growths. In the end, everything just depends on your own luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom