• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
You know, Roy could still possibly turn out as an alternate costume for Marth or Lucina.

Sakurai said:
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes.
So it seems Sakurai doesn't have a problem with making an alternate costume act as a different character as long as they play the same way.. But then there's also this:

Sakurai said:
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
So I guess it depends what exactly he means by 'the characteristics of their attacks differ'. Would adding fire properties (purely cosmetic ones, I mean) qualify as changing the characteristics of the character? I think I'd actually be satisfied with Roy being an alternate costume as long as he had his own voice/name and such.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Depending on how big the roster size is, I honestly don't think 5 Fire Emblem characters is that crazy. Everyone is expecting like 6-8 Pokemon with all unique movesets. 3 unique Fire Emblem characters and 2 clones is not nearly as outlandish. I don't expect it to happen, though.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
I would definitely rather Roy be his own character than an alt... I mean really guys?? Reducing a beloved Melee veteran to a simple alt costume in Sm4sh? That'd be like making Luigi an alt for Mario. Or something like that.. You get my point.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I would definitely rather Roy be his own character than an alt... I mean really guys?? Reducing a beloved Melee veteran to a simple alt costume in Sm4sh? That'd be like making Luigi an alt for Mario. Or something like that.. You get my point.
Well, it'd be more like making Dr Mario or Pichu an alt for Mario/Pikachu.... But yeah, I know what you mean.

I was against the idea of making Roy an alternate costume for several reasons.. But I really would prefer to see him in the game as a costume rather than not be in at all. :/ Especially now that Lucina is a clone of Marth.. Having another clone of him being in the game seems unlikely.

Not to mention that Lucina's moves seems like what Roy should have been. Rather than having the reverse sweetspots of Marth, just have his sword be equally strong along the entire blade. I even suggested this possibility several times in this thread, before Lucina was revealed. A non-sweetspot Marth moveset would work well for Roy..

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just joined Smashboards yesterday and I'm here to support our boy. Tell me want I can do to help! :)

Col, is it okay if I use your Knights of Elibe Signature?

Last edited by a moderator:

IceColdSoda

Smash Cadet
If we make our voice heard we can still get Lucina as an alternate costume and get Roy in the game. Thats why I need to recruit supporters into my group as soon as possible.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If we make our voice heard we can still get Lucina as an alternate costume and get Roy in the game. Thats why I need to recruit supporters into my group as soon as possible.
Nah, Lucina should stay her own character, and besides, there's no way Sakurai would have Lucina become an alt. when saying she was her own character.

However, I do find Roy the most likely character for DLC.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
no, not this late in development. i don't think you understand how game design works.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I had dreams of Roy recently. One in which he raises his sword along with the rest of the FE confirmed characters. It was a DLC trailer. In the other dream Roy was born from a dragon egg.
(I've been playing too much Project M)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I had dreams of Roy recently. One in which he raises his sword along with the rest of the FE confirmed characters. It was a DLC trailer. In the other dream Roy was born from a dragon egg.
(I've been playing too much Project M)
Well, Roy's father could marry a manakete in FE7. It would have been interesting if he WAS a quarter-manakete, then all the fire from his sword might make more sense. :p

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well, Roy's father could marry a manakete in FE7. It would have been interesting if he WAS a quarter-manakete, then all the fire from his sword might make more sense. :p
Yeah, that's what I thought after I woke up. It was my preferred pairing anyways so I'm cool with it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Regardless, I'd much prefer Roy to be his own character in Smash 4 rather than be an alternate costume. As for his attacks and appearance, I'd be happy if he had half of his original move set from Melee (Flare Blade and Blazer For The Win :)), and his amazing DLC costume from Awakening. However, it is disheartening when people begin shoving him away as if 'We've got enough FE characters in Smash Bros.'

I know Roy's chances are quite low now, but I just want to say that if it weren't for Sakurai adding Roy and Marth in Melee, I would never have bought the FE games that I hold close to my heart, like Awakening. :roymelee: The boy Roy's my main in Melee. I'd love to see him make a real return to Smash Bros.

Yeah, that's what I thought after I woke up. It was my preferred pairing anyways so I'm cool with it.
By the way, I've a few questions:
Would Project M work in Australia, and is Roy still a fun character to play as?

(As much as I love Roy and Mewtwo in Melee, I'd rather wait for Sakurai to officially announce their return. Sadly, the random clash mode killed my interest for PM. :()

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
We still need to try. I see people who want Roy but they rarely say anything about him.
I agree whole-heartedly. If we make our voice heard, he could easily be implemented as a semi-clone, I don't why people don't speak up.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
By the way, I've a few questions:
Would Project M work in Australia, and is Roy still a fun character to play as?

(As much as I love Roy and Mewtwo in Melee, I'd rather wait for Sakurai to officially announce their return. Sadly, the random clash mode killed my interest for PM. :()
PM doesn't support PAL yet, so I think you won't be able to play. He's definitely still fun to play as. Everything good he had is still there but with a few attacks like Ftilt and Bair changed to make him better. (Random clash mode?)
We still need to try. I see people who want Roy but they rarely say anything about him.
I've seen Roy in the top places for popular characters, but I'm not sure what's Sakurai's stance on him.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I agree whole-heartedly. If we make our voice heard, he could easily be implemented as a semi-clone, I don't why people don't speak up.
I'd be happy if he was a semi-clone of the Gorilla Ike :4myfriends: Roy'd be much faster, and his attacks wouldn't be as slow, because the Sword of Seals is similar to Marth's Falchion. And if Lucina:4lucina: can be a clone of Marth, who's to say Roy can't come back as a clone of Ike? (Maybe development time, yes... :() If he is disconfirmed in the most brutal way, *looks to Chrom and Takamaru* and Ghirahim is in the game, enjoy your time as my punching bag! >:o

Ah, All-Star Versus, that's what I meant. But the only good thing about it was Light Suit Samus, but Sakurai made his OWN Light Suit. And if he can do that, he should be able to make this his OWN Project M; then Roy and Mewtwo will enjoy the spotlight again. And I sure hope that Jun Fukuyama can voice Roy again. I loved his over-exaggerated battle cries, then becoming cool and collected after the battle when he says "くるしたった会だった。" Not sure if I spelt that right... "Kurushi tattakai datta..."[/quote]

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
not without the game being delayed. there's only about a month and a half until the game is released in japan, so if he is implemented on disc, he'll either be rushed or the game will be delayed, and i'd much rather have a more well developed version of my boy in smash 5 than a rushed sham in smash 4 or smash 4 being delayed JUST for roy. besides, the roster has been set in stone from day 1, so there is nothing we can do if he hasn't been chosen.

Last edited:

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
Double Post Warning Received
I'd be happy if he was a semi-clone of the Gorilla Ike :4myfriends: Roy'd be much faster, and his attacks wouldn't be as slow, because the Sword of Seals is similar to Marth's Falchion. And if Lucina:4lucina: can be a clone of Marth, who's to say Roy can't come back as a clone of Ike? (Maybe development time, yes... :() If he is disconfirmed in the most brutal way, *looks to Chrom and Takamaru* and Ghirahim is in the game, enjoy your time as my punching bag! >:o
Roy doesn't fit Ike's play style AT ALL!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Please remember not to double post. You can edit your existing posts or wait for someone else to post before posting again. Thanks~

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I don't listen to nay sayers...

Roy doesn't fit Ike's play style AT ALL!
Sorry about that. By that, I meant that compared to Ike, Roy's Flare Blade has less lag when :GCB: is released. And the Sweetspot near the hilt mechanic would be to see again. Otherwise, I don't really wish to see much change to Roy apart from his appearance, such as using the Awakening DLC.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
They should at least use Roy's PM moveset, at least he's not a complete clone that way
Sometimes, I often think the people at PMBR should work with Sakurai. Maybe they should send over their Roy to Namco and Nintendo to see what they think...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Lucina seems like the new Roy so that's pretty neat
Even took the idea that I posted over a year ago to help Luigi-fy Roy if he would return.. D: Marth normal attacks without any tipper/sweetspot mechanics whatsoever.

K41N570RM

Smash Rookie
Just a question, is Lucina's Shield Breaker a jab like Marth's, or is it a slash into the ground like how it was in Melee?
I think there was a photo of Lucina using shield breaker and it seems to be a jab, I was thinking that Sakurai could make Roy be an alt of Lucina in a way but if he makes Roy an alt in general I wouldn't mind seeing his "shield breaker" having a fire aspect to it, honestly I think it would be pretty awesome to see

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
We can still get him in, imaybe if we made a giant card and sent it to Sakurai with signatures supporting Roy he'd sse the large fanbase that supports him. Most Roy Fans are quiet about him ://
http://tinyurl.com/n82x9xw
I don't think doing a group in Facebook is going to help much. I don't use Facebook anymore, plus that place is not exactly favorable for games, as far as I know. Either way, good luck with that group.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
We can still get him in, imaybe if we made a giant card and sent it to Sakurai with signatures supporting Roy he'd sse the large fanbase that supports him. Most Roy Fans are quiet about him ://
http://tinyurl.com/n82x9xw
the roster has been set in stone from day one, keep in mind that said day one was over two years ago. no matter how big the outcry, if sakurai hasn't picked him for smash 4, we can't do anything about it. sakurai has said that adding characters is hard and complicated work, and as much as i want roy getting in, i don't think sakurai would choose roy over a character with a much larger demand, like, say ridley or dixie kong. also don't forget that roy is considered one of the worst lords by the FE fanbase, and if characters are being chosen based on popularity (which is sort of roy's only hope, and even his chances of getting in based on that are quite slim) then i find either hector, ephraim, sigurd, or leif to be far more likely FE reps. also, what @ Roy-Kun Roy-Kun said. i REALLY want roy in, but he's really not a likely character imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom