• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Do you guys go out of your way to debate people on other platforms on the viability of Ashley as a newcomer? Some of the stuff I see from people who really don't like her is like really bad. People saying that the characters in Warioware aren't important to series or cared for by its fans, or that if Warioware character gets in that would be like a random animal crossing villager getting in.

I almost fell for that one, but the role of a Warioware character is pretty much the same as Wario's. it's just that he has more prominence. You can't say the same for an NPC villager and the main character villager.

Just sharing because I know it can be discouraging to read those comments but just try to understand their argument and where it comes from and you'll find that a lot of the time it isn't sound.
Personally, what I encounter the most are "X deserves more to be in Smash" and "she lacks moveset potential". Hopefully, it's mostly in healthy debates, although there's trolls in the french communities as well.

The first one is rather subjective, although some character do deserves a spot. The second one have logic in it too, but she can be a character such as Duck Hunt or Rosalina, with some references thrown but a unique concept made up behind, like her AT actually. I don't recall Rosalina throwing Saturn's rings casually, or the dog summoning gunmen.
Funnily enough, both Duck Hunt and Rosalina's work on a duo concept, like Ashley & Red.

On a side note- We only have what... 2 magic users in the game? Zelda and Robin? I mean there are other characters who are supernatural but don't really use...magic in the traditional sense.
Well, I think we can add Bayonetta in this. Her guns may not be "traditional", but summoning demons, slowing the flow of time and such come close to traditional magic. Ganondorf also do uses magic technically, although it's mostly for punching and kicking, he lacks spells (such as his Deadman's Volley - a reason why I want Ganon). We can also probably throw Palutena in, with her goddess' powers.
But yeah, Zelda, Robin and Bayo are the only "true" magic user, and hopefully, they do leave room for Ashley to have some uniqueness in her moveset, with classic, even cliché, witch abilities such as her broom, a cauldron, her scepter... Which makes me think that nobody uses a scepter. Rosalina come close to this with her wand, but it's still different enough for me.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
OK so I know we all say that Ashley is HUGE in Japan (some saying she's the East's Ridley). But just how big is she, and do we have anything other than developer push to gauge that?

I'm staying pretty positive, but I'm slightly concerned I'm overestimating just how popular Ashley is in Japan.

Also, 42 pages. Wow. Just three or so weeks ago this was at 3. I'm so happy people finally found the Ashley train, and I'm so thrilled it's such a positive group of people.
I think it's hard to prove popularity. I've seen people say that her promotions say nothing about her popularity, because that just means her creators like her, not the general population.

You would have to check the sales of her themes compared to others like hers. If it sells comparably well, then that'll show if she's popular or not. The fact that she got three themes should say something but people are stubborn.

You could also show how many people in Japanese social media are requesting her or atleast expecting her to appear in Smash. That's how we know that Ridley was popular, it's not like there was a survey by Gallup that showed us how popular he was.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
On a side note- We only have what... 2 magic users in the game? Zelda and Robin? I mean there are other characters who are supernatural but don't really use...magic in the traditional sense.
And with Ashley, she could be made even more unique, considering her magic would probably have more of a cartoony feel to it than with Zelda and Robin.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they don't think a WarioWare character is likely because they think It's a niche series. What's ironic is They say Isaac or Geno is likely.

For a niche series WarioWare sure gets a good amount of content in Smash. Can't say that for Golden Sun or Super Mario RPG.
Earthbound is a niche series. Ness happend to get in when his time window was open. Lucas got in because the Mother series already had It's foot in the door.

You could say that Ashley already has her foot in the door with Wario. But yeah, the Geno and Isaac people can't have their cake and eat it too.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Earthbound is a niche series. Ness happend to get in when his time window was open. Lucas got in because the Mother series already had It's foot in the door.

You could say that Ashley already has her foot in the door with Wario. But yeah, the Geno and Isaac people can't have their cake and eat it too.
When I see the popularity of Mother in Japan, I'm not surprised with it's Smash content. I mean, there's plushies of Mister Belch, among other products. And they are still sold I guess. They were back in 2014 during my trip to Japan at least. That's clearly another level compared to Super Mario RPG (only a set of keychain as far as I know, although there is Geno) or Golden Sun... Who have nothing to my knowledge.

This reminds me that it's a shame Warioware do not have much too. But at least, Warioware can be attached to Mario (compared to Golden Sun) and is relevant today (compared to Geno / Mario RPG).

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
OK so I know we all say that Ashley is HUGE in Japan (some saying she's the East's Ridley). But just how big is she, and do we have anything other than developer push to gauge that?

I'm staying pretty positive, but I'm slightly concerned I'm overestimating just how popular Ashley is in Japan.

Also, 42 pages. Wow. Just three or so weeks ago this was at 3. I'm so happy people finally found the Ashley train, and I'm so thrilled it's such a positive group of people.
She's about 4'3

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
When I see the popularity of Mother in Japan, I'm not surprised with it's Smash content. I mean, there's plushies of Mister Belch, among other products. And they are still sold I guess. They were back in 2014 during my trip to Japan at least. That's clearly another level compared to Super Mario RPG (only a set of keychain as far as I know, although there is Geno) or Golden Sun... Who have nothing to my knowledge.

This reminds me that it's a shame Warioware do not have much too. But at least, Warioware can be attached to Mario (compared to Golden Sun) and is relevant today (compared to Geno / Mario RPG).
Ashley had her own theme cleaning cloth you could get as a Nintendo rewards program member in Japan.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Just dropping in to say that Ashley is one of three newcomers I'll throw my support behind (the other 2 being K. Rool and Dixie), now that Ridley is finally out of the way.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Requesting addition to support list, feel like Ashley actually has a good shot for this game.
Just dropping in to say that Ashley is one of three newcomers I'll throw my support behind (the other 2 being K. Rool and Dixie), now that Ridley is finally out of the way.
Well Alright! Thanks for the support! The Ashley Hype train just cranked up the juice! It's time to get this train to Smash!

Choooo! Chooooo!

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
A week into July already, where does the time go! Almost a full month of being assist trophy MIA. Cmooon Ashley be the first newcommer after E3. Please!!!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Anyway, if Ashley is going to be revealed this month, when you do think it will happen? I would like for next week, but probably is going to end up being the last days of July.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Honestly, I'd love Ashley to be revealed around Halloween. I know it's a long time to wait, but it fits her perfectly thematically. Could also be perfect for Simon, if he's in (and I hope he is).

Though doesn't Warioware Gold drop at the end of the month?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Anyway, if Ashley is going to be revealed this month, when you do think it will happen? I would like for next week, but probably is going to end up being the last days of July.
It would make perfect sense for it to be next week - a month after E3 - but there isn't any sacred text that says the frequency of new characters will function as such.

The pessimist/realist in me is saying "mid-August".

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I'm guessing it would be at the end of the month too. If a direct happen this month, I can imagine it close to WW Gold release date (also, the european version could even have a "Warioware Gold is available for download right after this presentation" thing.)

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Woah! 10 new pages since Wedensday?! Hot diggety. Anything new come up or just smalltalk?
Mostly small talk, if I remember correcrly, although we did discuss Ko Takeuchi's strange tendency to retweet and un-retweet posts regarding Ashley in Smash Bros.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Woah! 10 new pages since Wedensday?! Hot diggety. Anything new come up or just smalltalk?
Pretty much what was featured in the WW Gold demo, Ko Takeuchi untweeting his retweets for Ashley supporters on twitter and, showing no tolerance for trolls making lewd comments about Ashley.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally, what I encounter the most are "X deserves more to be in Smash" and "she lacks moveset potential". Hopefully, it's mostly in healthy debates, although there's trolls in the french communities as well.

The first one is rather subjective, although some character do deserves a spot. The second one have logic in it too, but she can be a character such as Duck Hunt or Rosalina, with some references thrown but a unique concept made up behind, like her AT actually. I don't recall Rosalina throwing Saturn's rings casually, or the dog summoning gunmen.
Funnily enough, both Duck Hunt and Rosalina's work on a duo concept, like Ashley & Red.

Well, I think we can add Bayonetta in this. Her guns may not be "traditional", but summoning demons, slowing the flow of time and such come close to traditional magic. Ganondorf also do uses magic technically, although it's mostly for punching and kicking, he lacks spells (such as his Deadman's Volley - a reason why I want Ganon). We can also probably throw Palutena in, with her goddess' powers.
But yeah, Zelda, Robin and Bayo are the only "true" magic user, and hopefully, they do leave room for Ashley to have some uniqueness in her moveset, with classic, even cliché, witch abilities such as her broom, a cauldron, her scepter... Which makes me think that nobody uses a scepter. Rosalina come close to this with her wand, but it's still different enough for me.
Well, you kind of already mentioned Rosalina, who manipulates gravity and small galaxies with powers that can't be described as anything other than magic.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

I was actually thinking about Bayo but thought her guns defined her more. I guess her hair magic and summoning would be considered magic.

I think it's hard to prove popularity. I've seen people say that her promotions say nothing about her popularity, because that just means her creators like her, not the general population.

You would have to check the sales of her themes compared to others like hers. If it sells comparably well, then that'll show if she's popular or not. The fact that she got three themes should say something but people are stubborn.

You could also show how many people in Japanese social media are requesting her or atleast expecting her to appear in Smash. That's how we know that Ridley was popular, it's not like there was a survey by Gallup that showed us how popular he was.
Promotion usually means a character is or will be a bit popular. This is one thing I am not a huge fan of- people saying Smash is one big advertisement/characters are chosen only to push new games/they should add so and so to promote theor game.
It really is only half true. Sakurai likes to use current stuff so the game doesn't age so quickly. Plus it will have curremt content for newer fans.
He also choses Pokémon used a lot in promotions- yes, GameFream has a say in who he can add, but it's also because promoted Pokémon are going to have a fanbase.
So it is both whothe creators like and who they think is marketable but also it can be a response to a character already being popular (like her assist trophy) or that the promotion goes on to make the character more popular.
A good example would actually be company or product mascots- they are made to sell a product, but sometimes they become so popular that unrelated products are made with their likeness. They become popular because of their promotion and intentionally designed lovability.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Hey ya'll, just thought I'd drop my hat into the Ashley support ring. It's kinda weird, if you asked me about Ashley being in Smash like a month ago, I probably would have been like, "Eh? What? That one girl from Warioware? Why her?" But now, the more I think about it, the more I think her inclusion would be neat. It probably helps that Warioware Gold's incredibly charming opening cutscene sort of revitalized my liking of the series, haha. I'd be down with seeing Ashley in Smash, so you can put me down as a supporter.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Popularity is something that's really hard to gauge. One thing of note is that Since the badge arcade is a gacha game her being used a lot does show some form of popularity. Popular characters are always given new content in gachas and Ashley is one of the "queens" of the Badge arcade along with Isabelle and Nikki, all three of which have considerable popularity. There's also the fact that Ashley's 3 themes on the 3DS vastly outsold every other theme released on the same week. I'm sure somebody here has proof of it, I've seen it, but have no idea where it was. It also helps that a lot of Japanese want/expectation lists for this game have Ashley on them.

Personally, I'm seeing the week of the 16th or the following week of the 23rd. As it stands, Nintendo has done very little for Warioware Gold and I don't see them just throwing that game out to die so I'm expecting something to divulge info on it to the masses.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Well, you kind of already mentioned Rosalina, who manipulates gravity and small galaxies with powers that can't be described as anything other than magic.
I guess when people say magic, they mean the typical mage character that attacks from a range with elemental attacks. Though there are things that make a character feel more magic, like hopefully Ashley can implement status effects into her moveset to make her more than just a zoner and distinguish her style of magic.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess when people say magic, they mean the typical mage character that attacks from a range with elemental attacks. Though there are things that make a character feel more magic, like hopefully Ashley can implement status effects into her moveset to make her more than just a zoner and distinguish her style of magic.
It'd be neat to have more status ailments than just various ways of stunning people. Though I'd imagine the effects on Ashley's moves would be somewhat random to reflect her inexperience.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
It'd be neat to have more status ailments than just various ways of stunning people. Though I'd imagine the effects on Ashley's moves would be somewhat random to reflect her inexperience.
The Enchantress from injustice 2 can debuff characters as sort of an "anti-Shulk"

Many people like Shulk' s buff system. It would be interesting to have Ashley be able to put debuffs on opponents.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
The Enchantress from injustice 2 can debuff characters as sort of an "anti-Shulk"

Many people like Shulk' s buff system. It would be interesting to have Ashley be able to put debuffs on opponents.
I like the idea but, people might hate to play against Ashley if she could debuff. I know I wouldn't enjoy it if my character's jump was debuffed.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I like the idea but, people might hate to play against Ashley if she could debuff. I know I wouldn't enjoy it if my character's jump was debuffed.
I'm sure that a hypothetical debuff character would be handled in a way that doesn't automatically make them the most powerful character in the game. Besides, plenty of characters in Smash have plenty of annoying moves. You just gotta dodge them, and Ashley's debuffing power (whatever that may mean in the confines of Smash) would be no exception.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Shulk's buff system would be balance out with debuffs. When Shulk is heavy he's slow, When he's fast he doesn't do as much damage.

My point being Ashley's debuffs could come with buffs to balance things out.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Most examples of debuff characters in fighting games I can think of aren't as extreme as locking out basic options.

Pokken is mostly stat decreases (lower damage, defense, speed etc), Persona 4 Arena has status effects (this one does get crazy, like reverse controls or removing the ability to block for more damage, just veeery temporary usually), and there's various examples of character that can poison. (Smash technically has this with Lip's flower effect.)

Ashley's actually perfect for this since it's what her assist trophy essentially does.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Shulk's buff system would be balance out with debuffs. When Shulk is heavy he's slow, When he's fast he doesn't do as much damage.

My point being Ashley's debuffs could come with buffs to balance things out.
I doubt they'd come with straight up buffs sine you need to land the curse where Shulk's buffs are available to him all the time. However, they could probably have it where using the wrong curse and the wrong time could be disastrous. Example, if Ashley has a debuff that lowers the opponents knockback on their attacks while she's low on %, she could easily be juggled to death since the moves won't hit her away as far. Similarly, a curse that lowers the opponents weight could mean they're hard to combo if their % is low.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
What are all the debuffs AT Ashley puts on a character in her purple cloud?
Enemies become slow, take damage, become invisible, more prone to tripping, anything that heals like food does damage instead, makes recovery moves unable to work, puts characters to sleep.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Ashley could make for a nice troll character with all those debuffs. I will gladly use her online for that purpose. :D

Noipoi

Howdy!
Did anyone notice that Ashley wasn't in Wario's gameplay trailer? In Sonic's you saw the Knuckles assist, in Fox's you saw Krystal. But the Wario series' most popular AT character is no where to be seen. Take this with a grain of salt, but it seems a little suspicious...

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Did anyone notice that Ashley wasn't in Wario's gameplay trailer? In Sonic's you saw the Knuckles assist, in Fox's you saw Krystal. But the Wario series' most popular AT character is no where to be seen. Take this with a grain of salt, but it seems a little suspicious...
Yeah, but Kat and Ana also weren't shown, so it is probably nothing.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Her final smash could be a souped up version of what her assist does.
Sakurai Stated some character's final Smashes have been changed to get to the point so you can get back to fighting. Final Smashes don't linger anymore.

That being said Ashley does have an orb that can summon lightning across the screen in a matter of seconds as we've seen from her Game & Wario game.

Yeah, but Kat and Ana also weren't shown, so it is probably nothing.
Kat and Ana fly across the screen and are difficult to pose for the camera. Because Ashley is stationary it would be easy for her to pose with Wario.

If they wanted to give an AT character to pose with Wario it would have been Ashley no question.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Sakurai Stated some character's final Smashes have been changed to get to the point so you can get back to fighting. Final Smashes don't linger anymore.

That being said Ashley does have an orb that can summon lightning across the screen in a matter of seconds as we've seen from her Game & Wario game.

Kat and Ana fly across the screen and are difficult to pose for the camera. Because Ashley is stationary it would be easy for her to pose with Wario.

If they wanted to give an AT character to pose with Wario it would have been Ashley no question.
They're saving them for Ashley reveal obvi.

Or who knows, maybe they're playable. I doubt it, but it would be a dream come true to have 3 (technically 4) Warioware reps. Although it would be weird if the only ones representing the series were young girls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom