• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Would it have voice acting considering that Gold shows that Wario is capable of talking in full sentences? I would love if it did, but I guess this trailer sorta speaks for itself.
We've seen that long before Gold. Game & Wario had those Crowdfarter videos on YouTube.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
There were people who wanted a whole anime just from Palutena's trailer just because it was fully voiced. I'm sure the same thing would happen if Ashley's trailer was fully voiced.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I know you shouldn't believe a leak till we see it, but there's this "huge" leak on 4chan that's going around. They say 11 characters were leaked and one clue said "ponytail", everyone says that means its Dixie kong but I thought it could've meant Ashley oofy. I'm probably the only one who thinks that..

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I know you shouldn't believe a leak till we see it, but there's this "huge" leak on 4chan that's going around. They say 11 characters were leaked and one clue said "ponytail", everyone says that means its Dixie kong but I thought it could've meant Ashley oofy. I'm probably the only one who thinks that..
Nah, Ashley has pigtails. However I did see one riddle leak on there that had her as "witch".

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Do you guys think anything will be revealed at France Japan Expo this week? It ends sometime July 8th.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I stopped believing 4chan leaks because you can always tell when they get a bit fanfiction-y: Geno, Isaac, K. Rool, basically every character that is argued about showing up in the same leak. Geno's been a big one this time.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Ashley is one of only three characters that could get me super hyped for Ultimate.

If you could, kind ladies and gents, throw my name on the list of her supporters.~

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Ashley is one of only three characters that could get me super hyped for Ultimate.

If you could, kind ladies and gents, throw my name on the list of her supporters.~
What's the third one?
Do you guys think anything will be revealed at France Japan Expo this week? It ends sometime July 8th.
How big is this event? I've been hearing July 8th everywhere so that kinda piques my curiosity.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I stopped believing 4chan leaks because you can always tell when they get a bit fanfiction-y: Geno, Isaac, K. Rool, basically every character that is argued about showing up in the same leak. Geno's been a big one this time.
yeah that's true, its probably a trend to use those characters instead of actually coming up with your own

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
What's the third one?

How big is this event?
Shantae. An absolute long-shot.

Glad to see that Geno has better chances this time around but admittedly, it seems like all three of these characters are underdogs to varying degrees. Ashley, of course, being the least underdog-y. (Though I believe she still is one.)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m really proud of you guys, your support has transcended beyond one of the most speculated and requested characters for Smash, and is close to surpassing another well-requested character, additionally a lot of talk has been present for our little witch in speculation as of recent, so please everyone, continue on with all your support, we can do this, together!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Shantae. An absolute long-shot.

Glad to see that Geno has better chances this time around but admittedly, it seems like all three of these characters are underdogs to varying degrees. Ashley, of course, being the least underdog-y. (Though I believe she still is one.)
Oh yeah, like all three have something impeding them like Ashley coming from a niche series and not having too big of a profile in the west, Shantae being indie, and Geno not being in a game in years. But still I think their shots aren't bad altogether. Best of luck with your Geno pick!

By chance, what is it that makes you support Ashley?

I’m really proud of you guys, your support has transcended beyond one of the most speculated and requested characters for Smash, and is close to surpassing another well-requested character, additionally a lot of talk has been present for our little witch in speculation as of recent, so please everyone, continue on with all your support, we can do this, together!
I wonder what other people make of this. The other character threads don't seem to pay it mind. Not that it's bad. It just feels good to see Ashley rise so fast beyond what I could imagine. That potential I saw in her is pretty much the reason why I supported her from the start.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh yeah, like all three have something impeding them like Ashley coming from a niche series and not having too big of a profile in the west, Shantae being indie, and Geno not being in a game in years. But still I think their shots aren't bad altogether. Best of luck with your Geno pick!

I wonder what other people make of this. The other character threads don't seem to pay it mind. Not that it's bad. It just feels good to see Ashley rise so fast beyond what I could imagine. That potential I saw in her is pretty much the reason why I supported her from the start.
I always saw her as one of the more unappreciated WarioWare characters, she just has so much more to her that really just sticks out from the rest of the WarioWare characters, there’s just so much that makes her interesting. Her popularity has grown but I just see that there’s a lot that makes her so intriguing and I just fell in love with the idea of having a character like her in Smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sakurai Stated some character's final Smashes have been changed to get to the point so you can get back to fighting. Final Smashes don't linger anymore.

That being said Ashley does have an orb that can summon lightning across the screen in a matter of seconds as we've seen from her Game & Wario game.
I prefer her summoning the eldritch horror we've seen from her spellbook in the G&W storyline. I imagine it would be like a mix of Ice climbers/Jigglypuff's Final Smash.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Thanks for that! And yeah, I agree. =)

Well, back in the Brawl speculation days I actually used to support Mona (and Captain Syrup) because I've always been partial to the Wario series and wanted to see it get more representation in Smash.

I dunno, his cast of characters whether from the Land series or WarioWare series just seemed so much more colorful and filled with personality to me. Over time, and as I grew wiser, I realized that I was probably throwing my weight behind a lost cause since either of those characters would have been niche-y choices and I wasn't sure whether or not Sakurai would actually go for that. There is a method to this madness after all; newcomers have to either generate hype or at the least be so unique that they win people over on quirk alone (I'm looking at you, Duck Hunt and ROB)!

Over the years though, I did notice that Ashley's popularity was growing. And if I'm being honest, at first it annoyed me a little since I thought Mona deserved the spot more than her, but that pettiness of mine didn't last for long since I actually did like her character and started to consider the merits of her inclusion. When you look at Mona, sure you can pull a moveset for her, but would it be an interesting one? And I basically was around to witness the shift of support from Mona to Ashley in live time. Still, it didn't surprise me when she failed to make the roster.

Fast-forward to Smash 4 and I'm reminded of Ashley again when she gets an Assist Trophy. I thought to myself, "I guess that does it! She really is more popular than Mona!", but ultimately didn't think too much of it. Then fast-forward a little bit more and she gets a Mii costume! "Wow... Maybe she's even more popular than I thought? Could she actually be a contender?"

Understand, I had given up hope on ever adding a second Wario rep (and I never bought into the Waluigi as a second rep argument; Waluigi is definitively a Mario character), but as I researched into her more and more I realized... "Wait a second, this chick actually has a real chance!"

So her viability, coupled with her interesting personality (for a Ninty character), potential for an interesting moveset and honestly even the fact that it would make a lot of people in Japan (and the rest of the world) happy (I think Japan deserves to have a bone thrown at them too; it is their game after all) has ultimately swallowed me into a vortex of ever growing enamorment. It's especially heartening to see the Japanese reasoning for her character's following (they're drawn to her because she wants friends and I think it's plain adorable that a character can receive a following off of mainly that reason alone).

Oh, and it probably helps that I'm already partial to witches. I have a series of my own that I'm writing, which is my life's work, and the main character is also a witch. =)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Thanks for that! And yeah, I agree. =)

Well, back in the Brawl speculation days I actually used to support Mona (and Captain Syrup) because I've always been partial to the Wario series and wanted to see it get more representation in Smash.

I dunno, his cast of characters whether from the Land series or WarioWare series just seemed so much more colorful and filled with personality to me. Over time, and as I grew wiser, I realized that I was probably throwing my weight behind a lost cause since either of those characters would have been niche-y choices and I wasn't sure whether or not Sakurai would actually go for that. There is a method to this madness after all; newcomers have to either generate hype or at the least be so unique that they win people over on quirk alone (I'm looking at you, Duck Hunt and ROB)!

Over the years though, I did notice that Ashley's popularity was growing. And if I'm being honest, at first it annoyed me a little since I thought Mona deserved the spot more than her, but that pettiness of mine didn't last for long since I actually did like her character and started to consider the merits of her inclusion. When you look at Mona, sure you can pull a moveset for her, but would it be an interesting one? And I basically was around to witness the shift of support from Mona to Ashley in live time. Still, it didn't surprise me when she failed to make the roster.

Fast-forward to Smash 4 and I'm reminded of Ashley again when she gets an Assist Trophy. I thought to myself, "I guess that does it! She really is more popular than Mona!", but ultimately didn't think too much of it. Then fast-forward a little bit more and she gets a Mii costume! "Wow... Maybe she's even more popular than I thought? Could she actually be a contender?"

Understand, I had given up hope on ever adding a second Wario rep (and I never bought into the Waluigi as a second rep argument; Waluigi is definitively a Mario character), but as I researched into her more and more I realized... "Wait a second, this chick actually has a real chance!"

So her viability, coupled with her interesting personality (for a Ninty character), potential for an interesting moveset and honestly even the fact that it would make a lot of people in Japan (and the rest of the world) happy (I think Japan deserves to have a bone thrown at them too; it is their game after all) has ultimately swallowed me into a vortex of ever growing enamorment. It's especially heartening to see the Japanese reasoning for her character's following (they're drawn to her because she wants friends and I think it's plain adorable that a character can receive a following off of mainly that reason alone).

Oh, and it probably helps that I'm already partial to witches. I have a series of my own that I'm writing, which is my life's work, and the main character is also a witch. =)
That seems to be a common thread that seeing Ashley star rise in real time is enough to want to back her up. It is just a fun narrative to follow and Ashley has a design that's easy to get attached to. It's also pretty fitting for a character like Ashley. She's the girl with no friends and now she has all this support coming in for her.

I feel Ashley sticks out a lot. Like you wouldn't expect her to hang out with Wario, make games, and yet she comes across as really normal among Wario's cast despite all the quirks she has.

I hope whatever you're working on turns out well. Witches are pretty cool and sadly have been slowly crept out of media. Damn wizards.
It seems to be cutting it close, once we get a few more replies we will surpass Isaac’s thread and become the second biggest support thread.
How did this happen?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That seems to be a common thread that seeing Ashley star rise in real time is enough to want to back her up. It is just a fun narrative to follow and has a design that easy to get attached to. It also also the pretty fitting for a character like Ashley. She's the girl with no friends and now she has all this support coming in for her.

I feel Ashley sticks out a lot. Like you wouldn't expect her to hang out with Wario, make games, and yet she comes across as really normal among Wario's cast despite all the quirks she has.

I hope whatever you're working on turns out well. Witches are pretty cool and sadly have been slowly crept out of media. Damn wizards.

How did this happen?
She also just generally fits into the quirky nature of Wario’s universe, she just really embodies a lot of the series in her own little way and I’d actually go onto say she represents those qualities flawlessly. It’s something that’s just really special and something I’m very glad and fortunate to see.

As for how we’re on our way to surpassing Isaac, I think it has to do with the fact that she’s become so popular, and the lack of the Assist role confirmed adds to this.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman

Welcome to the Ashley club! Man, new members every day?! This thread is alive!!!

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Sort by replies, this is the top 7 View attachment 152023
The Kystal fanbase was in a strong second until she got deconfirmed. I was a big supporter of Krystal during the Smash 4 days. I knew she wasn't likely then but I felt too discouraged to put as much energy in for her this time around.

I wonder how the supporters of the other threads are taking the sudden Ashley explosion? I'm too lazy to read much of what everyone outside is saying of this thread.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The only other character who really had a major explosion was Geno, and that was because of Sanurai’s comments on the Mii Costume, but it was nowhere near this big of an impact.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
The Ashley hype extends beyond here on Smashboards. Reddit, 4chan, Gamefaqs and other forums are experiencing the "Ashley explosion" as well to the point in which people are asking where this is coming from. To them Ashley kind of came out of nowhere and hit them on the back of the head.

Of course, the Ashley haters are arising too. Even though haters can make a community toxic they are showing that a major impact has occured. So it that way I take it as a good sign.

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
I liked Ashley ever since Smooth Moves on the Wii. She is one of my most wanted characters! Please add me to the supporter list.

Obake

Smash Rookie
if you guys haven't already add my name to the list of supporters! #witchwarriors no? okay. but yeah add meh name lol

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
smash attack.png

This is basically my Holy Trinity right now.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Day 4 gives us.... Ashley Aran? Poor Redley. He is too small for Smash.

Speaking of Samus and Ashley- do we even know what happened to Ashley's parents? Given her demeanor, I would say it was probably traumatic. Also how did she end up having a demon as her servant? Maybe she sold some souls.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Speaking of Samus and Ashley- do we even know what happened to Ashley's parents? Given her demeanor, I would say it was probably traumatic. Also how did she end up having a demon as her servant? Maybe she sold some souls.
I don't know it anything specific has ever been said, but I think it's stated that her parents are either dead or just not around. Red is a familiar if I'm not mistaken, so he's just a summoned servant rather than an actual demon.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
How would this be for a reveal? I've thought of multiple ideas.

Luigi and Wario are walking through a mansion. Thunder is rumbling, wind is whipping, and Luigi looks terrified as he tiptoes forward. Wario is casually picking his nose and looks very bored as he follows, looking around the hallway. Out of nowhere, a pair of piercing red eyes stares at them from the darkness, and Luigi screams in terror. Wario laughs at him, but the camera zooms out to see that Luigi is clinging on to Wario and trembling. Wario punches him off and the two look forward to see their attacker. The eyes start approaching and a shadow begins to loom over them, getting closer and closer .... until it's just little Red. Red walks over curiously and pokes Luigi in the rear with his pitchfork. Wario laughs at Luigi yelping in pain until he sees both Red and Luigi start trembling. He turns, and a flash of lightning shows a familiar shadow--that shadow jumps down and lighting flashes once more, fully revealing Ashley. The splash screen pops up and Red jumps next to her. "ASHLEY AND RED stir up trouble!"

Gameplay follows. Afterward, we see Luigi and Red holding each other while shaking in fear as the camera zooms in on their scared faces.
There are a number of characters Ashley could have interesting interactions with. She could be fascinated by Ridley's grotesque appearance (if not slightly put off by his brutality), form a kinship with fellow witch Bayonetta or a friendship with Dark Pit and their similar attitudes.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
This is basically my Holy Trinity right now.
Wow, that is mine too! I think this is the best shot from Brawl until now that these three have ever received. Just Ashley is enough to satisfy me, but all three would be good, please Sakurai?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Did anyone notice that Ashley wasn't in Wario's gameplay trailer? In Sonic's you saw the Knuckles assist, in Fox's you saw Krystal. But the Wario series' most popular AT character is no where to be seen. Take this with a grain of salt, but it seems a little suspicious...
Well ... I went through all of them as quickly as I could when they were out, and I did not see Samurai Goroh in Captain Falcon's preview video either ... I got my hopes a bit up, but then came gameplay footage from testing the game, and there he was, just an assist trophy, yet again. Lucky for Ashley for not being in the current build of the game, in any form or shape. Hopefully her fate is far better than Goroh (my favourite F-Zero Pilot and one of my biggest wishes for Smash)

Just curious if Ashley gets in would you want any of the other WarioWare characters in Smash?
Orbulon. No others.
Wario, Ashley and Orbulon, that's all the representation I could want.
Mona and Jimmy T are fine, sure, but not who I'd want.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Japan Expo is something big (probably one of the biggest thing we have when it comes to conventions about Japan), some Pokémons were even revealed there if I recall well. But it's too small for Smash I think, this is not an even people around the world are looking into that much.

MAYBE if it was Paris Game Week, but I don't believe in a Japan Expo reveal.

Top Bottom