• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~// The Hawaii Thread \\~ V2.0

indie_dave

Smash Ace
decided to cc swf on the "weekly tiers" action i guess
but actually, i just wanna laugh at the tards who will inevitably comment
it's like youtube = =

swf note:
been keeping an eye on japan boards...and i think these are ikki's "weekly tiers"
PLEASE SEE THE NOTES AT BOTTOM OF POST
<before posting n00b comments kthx>
originally posted at sbhc/smashbroshawaii.com
/swf note

latest update: 4/3/08 japan list
***japan is giving mad reps to Ike, Zelda, and Peach apparently atm
with big ups also to Koopa, Samus, DK, Yoshi, and PokeTore
Wolf and ICs broke S-tier, while other charas are losing out in last week's tourneys.

4/3/08 japan list
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/ga ... 231339/l50
S. Snake, ROB, Falco, MK, Wolf(^), ICs(^^^)
A. Fox(v), Marfu(^), Diddy(v), GDub(vvv), Toon(v), Pikachu(v), Koopa (^^^)
B. Ike(^^^^^), Lucas(^), Zelda(^^^^^), Sheik(v), DDD(^), Peach(^^^^^), Pit(vvvvv), Zamus(vvv), Samus(^^^), Wario
C. Olimar (vvv), Mario (vvv), Luigi(vvv), Kirby(vvv), DK(^^^), Lucario(vvv), Yoshi (^^^), Ness(vvv)
D. PokeT(^^^), Sonic(v), Link(vvv), CF(v), Ganon (^), Purin (v) ;_;

3/29/08 japan list:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/ga ... 231339/l50
S. Snake, ROB, Falco, Metaknight
A. Fox
B. G&W, Diddy, Toon Link, Pit, Marf
C. Ice Climbers, Wolf, Olimar, Zamus, Pikachu, Mario, Lucas
D. Kirby, Sheik, Dedede, Luigi, Lucario, Wario
E. Koopa, Samus, Zelda, Ness, Peach, Link
F. Ike, Sonic, DK, CF, Jiggs, PokeTore, Yoshi
G. Ganon ;_;

3/22/08 japan list:
http://game13.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gov ... 75501/l50x
S. Snake, Robotto
A. Falco, Metaknight
B. G&W, Diddy, Toon Link, Pit, Fox, M4rf
C. ICs, Wolf, Olimar, ZeroSamus, Pikachu, Mario, Lucas
D. Kirby, Sheik, Dedede, Luigi, Lucario, Wario
E. Koopa, Samus, Zelda, Ness, Peach, Link
F. Ike, Sonic, Donkiiiiii, CF, Purin, PokeTore, Yoshi
G. Ganon ;_;

3/19/08 japan list:
http://longsense.blog80.fc2.com/blog-date-200803.html
S. MK, Falco, Robo, Fox, Suneeku
A. Marusu, Pit, Toon
B. Wolf, Geemu&Wocchi, Diddy, Mario, AiKura, Zamus
C. Pikachu, Luigi, Kaabii, Dedede, Wario, Lucario, Ryuka, Orimaa
D. Peach, Samus, Daama-Shiiku, Ness, Purin, PokeTore, Donkii, Koopa
E. Link, Ike, Zelda, Sonic
F. Farukong
G. Ganon, Yoshi :_;

note:
i think these are the ones ikki compiles based on raw tourney data over the week, but i might be r0ng :/
take em or leave um for what they're worth, still a new game of course, but japan metagame wayyyy more developed
/note

note 2:
i'll xlate later, or somebody else will get to it
nvm, xlated; board won't take nihongo text :/
/note2

note 3.1:
spreadsheetd each of the weeklies
if anybody knows how to BBCode a clean spreadsheet list, that'd be appreciated
^/v (up/down) denotes movement from last week's list
feel free to discuss any errors or z0mg overlookd items
/note 3

---
:ness:

whopper_no_onion

Smash Cadet
wait... where you DarkM at Kawaii Kon????!!!

I fought you there... although I didnt fare too well. I was the Pokemon trainer and ROB user. I wanted to test my marth on you, but didnt have time.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
wait... where you DarkM at Kawaii Kon????!!!

I fought you there... although I didnt fare too well. I was the Pokemon trainer and ROB user. I wanted to test my marth on you, but didnt have time.
Yes I was. You should've just went your best character on me. Too bad you didn't get another turn.

Anyways ya sign up on the site above. That's where all the Hawaii Players are now.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
What was your screen name that you put yourself under? I got one notice of a new account but it didn't look like whopper no onion. Let me know what your SN is when you registered. Or please go to the Pre Registration section and formally introduce yourself so we can activate your account.

lukass64

Smash Rookie
Has anyone here heard of the HVGL or Hawaii Video Game League? Well they have huge casual fighting game gatherings and when enough people enter for a game(about 6 people) they start a tournament. ($10 per game, $15 for just membership, or $20 for membership + to enter in one game) 1st,2nd,3rd,&HVGL take portions of the pot. Of course 1st gets the most and it gets lower.
HVGL is a non profit so don't think they're just trying to take your money. They even give out a T-shirt if you win. The main guy running it spent over $5,000 and hasn't gotten a return. He's all about making gamers happy. Very cool guy.
Right now it's going to be at Netwerx (Very near Alamoana) every 2 weeks on Saturdays.
The schedule and other infomation could be found here:
http://cgoh.20.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=18
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiivideogamingleague

The set up is about 10 of their own TVs and a few borrowed from Netwerx, a bunch of PS2s, 1 Wii (3 gamecube controllers), at least 4 xbox 360s, dreamcast, 2 joysticks set on one PS2, and other stuff. He brings his own copies of Brawl, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Guilty Gear AC, CVS2, Marvel Vs Capcom2, Halo3, COD4, and other games people bring. I'd suggest you bring your own controllers. I even brought a 360 controller. If you borrow, please take care of them, he told me his Guitars (for Guitar Hero) are in worst shape after the first event he did.

Basically if you show up to play casual Brawl, you can join the club by paying for membership and play other games too. Very friendly atmosphere. People teaching you techniques, tactics, etc. Look for me, I'll play you almost any game (I'll suck though), I main 3S so any other game, you'll probably beat me.
Someone suggested Mario Kart Wii and he has the game so he'll bring it if people want to play.
You can contact the people from the links above and see if you can bring your Wii if you want more Brawl games going on and you bring a lot of friends or something.

The next event will be on May 10th. I'm going to make Shoyo come down and put money on him. lol.
I'll be with Shoyo if you come.

lukass64

Smash Rookie
The man in charge is name Jeff.
The break down of the money is
- League Share: 20%
- 1st Place: 40%
- 2nd Place: 30%
- 3rd Place: 10%

Basically, more people = more money

I'm only going to Brawl casually.

Yea there were Brawl/Melee players. there were 6 who entered the Brawl tournament. The guy who got first was from Canada, Jeremy aka Jigabry (he mains MVC2 and is good in 3S). I met another guy who left early (before the tournament). He said he took 3rd at Kawaii Kon and came all the way from Eva Beach (forgot his name). I know of 2 other guys who played Melee and GGXX. One of them played 3S with me. No one played Melee so it was just Brawl that day. If someone brings their copy and there's enough players who enter for Melee, I'm sure they'll start a Melee match. I'm going to ask Jeff if he already has a copy.

What else games do Brawl players play? (besides Wii games) Shoyo told me some guy who played Melee Captain Falco plays 3S.

I'm assuming everyone's on the Hawaii Smash boards since there isn't a lot of posts here lately.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
okay, i am totally up for brawl or melee. how much do you need to pay to join the league? and about game copies and systems, heh we can get one from almost all of us here.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Ya as far as set ups go should be no prob. I have my TV, and we can bring our own wii and surge protected power bar. This'll be like a homecoming for me. Netwerx. Man first Da-Planet and now Netwerx. I'm just comin full circle on everything.

lukass64

Smash Rookie
Haha alright lucas I'll go on the next saturday. What times it from?
Oh yeah thanks for calling yeah
Answer your phone *****. Bring your Melee. I think it'll start at 11am but there's only like 5 people there in the morning. There's more every hour but there's always something to play against someone.

Darkmusician/Bobby/got beat by Richard who never played the game before.:laugh:
email the Commissioner of the HVGL, Jeff: hawaiivideogamingleague@yahoo.com

Everyone that's coming. Please pay for membership. Some people came and never paid anything. Join and sign up for a game for $20. Or $15 for JUST membership. Jeff has spent $5,000, entire pay checks, and no returns went to him so that $10 that you're giving for a year of membership is only going to HVGL, not him. HVGL is non profit. (god, i'm repeating myself)

Best to bring your own controller but for Brawl, he said he wanted everyone to just use his controllers unless it's 4 players (he has 3 GC Controllers). I don't understand why but just bring your own controllers in case of anything. They're mainly referring to other systems like PS2, 360, and Dreamcast. You could just play without paying but at least respect everyone and everything there. He said his guitars got messed up in the last event so he's not bringing his guitars no more(for Guitar Hero), or what's left of them. Some people may take losing harder than others. Just keep it fun. This is just me though, I'm not a staff of the League or anything, I donated a Dreamcast joystick I bought for TnJ and let them borrow my CVS2 game.

What is the event like?
It's pretty much about 10 TVs with PS2s, Dreamcasts, a Wii, and around 4 xbox 360s for 2v2 COD4 or 4v4 Halo3. Anyone just jumps on and plays whatever. $10 per tournament. You can bring out side food and drinks. The only thing that sucks was this one guy brought his own 360 for the event but just played by himself or with his gf. I wanted to play him COD4 but he didn't want to cuz he just got the game. what a *******.

Here's what was posted for the April 26 event (or go to: http://cgoh.20.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=18) I think it'll be the same for the May 10th event. I think the only difference is Mario Kart Wii but I don't think it'll be going on since everyone will want Wii's to be playing Brawl.
Hawaii Video Gaming League - April 26th Event (COMPLETED)
Aloha everybody!

I just wanted to formally announce the next event in our regular season!

"A Day Of Console Gaming!"

Date: Saturday, April 26th
Place: Netwerx Internet & Games (1423 Kapiolani Boulevard, 2nd Floor - Between Pet's Discount Warehouse & The Ala Moana Office Building)
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Tournaments can be held for the following games:

- Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PS2)
- Halo 3 (Xbox 360)*
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2 or Sega Dreamcast)
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3 (PS2)**
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (PS2)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
- Wii Sports (Wii)

* A team tournament can also be held for this game (2 to 4-man teams via split-screen.) So, an additional quota of at least eight teams has been set.

** A tournament quota of at least twenty players has been set for this game.

Entry Fees
League Members: $10 per tournament
Non-League Members: $15 (see Membership Special.)

MEMBERSHIP SPECIAL: New League Members receive a 50% discount price for their first tournament.

In order to complete the day's event on schedule, a tournament will begin once the minimum quota (at least eight players) has been met and enough players are present at the venue. League members who remain at the venue until the end of the event are also asked to assist in the breakdown/cleanup process. Competitors are also encouraged to bring their own peripherals (controllers and/or arcade sticks) to the event. Please check with league staff upon arrival for last-minute changes and tournament information.

Members can now pre-register for a tournament featuring the games listed above. Please send an e-mail with a list of the tournaments you'd like to be entered in, along with your contact information (including name, e-mail address and/or phone number) to hawaiivideogamingleague@yahoo.com. You then pay any applicable fees on the day of the event.

For more information, please contact:

Kaleo Cushing
Public Relations Director
( 808 ) 554-1164
E-mail: hawaiivideogamingleague@yahoo.com
E-mail: haw_rican_grown@yahoo.com

Hope to see you all there!

LaughingMan

Smash Apprentice
Hey, give me some more info on the May 10th HVGL event and I'll see what I can do to make it down there. No tournament is complete without the King of Evil, and you know it.

lukass64

Smash Rookie
Hey, give me some more info on the May 10th HVGL event and I'll see what I can do to make it down there. No tournament is complete without the King of Evil, and you know it.
It is the same as the April 26th event! I'm sure it'll start around 11am again. Just GO TO THE WEB SITE! It's not updated with the May 10th event but it will soon. I want to encourage everyone to go:
http://cgoh.20.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=18

It'll answer all the questions you might have. If you have other questions like what happen at the last event. I can answer that but I was there only half the time and then at the end since I forgot my glasses.

You can hear all the drama here:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=5078673#post5078673
and here:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=144972&page=13

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I just activated your account. Thanks for joining. Hope to see you at the next monthly.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Eight people have to sign up first to enter a tourny, that means eight people are there. Isn't that it?

April 26? Is it May? Hoping it's may

I'll probably sign up and start a melee tournament =D

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Eight people have to sign up first to enter a tourny, that means eight people are there. Isn't that it?

April 26? Is it May? Hoping it's may

I'll probably sign up and start a melee tournament =D

- Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
- Halo 3 (Xbox 360)*
- Wii Sports (Wii)

LaughingMan

Smash Apprentice
Does that mean Melee's not an option? Those other games are great and all, but I mean come on, come. on.

If that's gonna be the case, when's the next REAL melee tournament coming up on the island?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Does that mean Melee's not an option? Those other games are great and all, but I mean come on, come. on.

If that's gonna be the case, when's the next REAL melee tournament coming up on the island?
The only melee tournament worth while is going to be held by yours truly this summer. HSI will feature a melee one day and brawl the next day event. Most likely we'll be doing a fest or two that week to make it special.

I won't be posting anything about that on here. Go to our Hawaii Boards.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord

- Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
- Halo 3 (Xbox 360)*
- Wii Sports (Wii)
Start son. I start **** yayyuhz

Top Bottom