• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So it seems as though Wayforward's director may not know if Shantae is in Smash yet, any thoughts?

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
That Tweet from a few weeks ago from when he took a picture with Sakurai.
Oh that? I'm assuming it was just to create controversy so I guess you're right. We don't know when they're going to release the next dlc though so it could be a while before anyone knows anything. I'm hoping that they already know she's going to be in the game and they're just teasing us.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh that? I'm assuming it was just to create controversy so I guess you're right. We don't know when they're going to release the next dlc though so it could be a while before anyone knows anything. I'm hoping that they already know she's going to be in the game and they're just teasing us.
It could be, after all, NDAs are a *****.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
So the art for the roster is coming along well... This is ironically the easy part. Shantae's done, but Shovel Knight is halfway there.

However, as someone currently studying Photoshop, working with Gimp is like trying to work with a spoiled child at the moment. :/

Does anyone here know how to reset the brushes?

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
There's supposed to be some kind of Nintendo Direct on Friday. Not sure if its gonna be Smash related or not though. Also, heavy maintenance on Monday, all online services will be down 1-5 p.m. PST.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
There's supposed to be some kind of Nintendo Direct on Friday. Not sure if its gonna be Smash related or not though. Also, heavy maintenance on Monday, all online services will be down 1-5 p.m. PST.
The maintenance is more than likely just security fixes to stop data miners.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If Shantae is indeed going to be DLC character for Smash then WayForward can't talk about it.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
God I am so tired of this news drought. Nintendo is seriously just killing the hype now. When you go this long with no news at all, hype turns to frustration and frustration turns to apathy. I don't understand why they wouldn't tell us something, anything by now. This total lack of communication is ****ing obnoxious.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
200 page get?

Also if there's a direct on Friday and an update on Monday, even if it's to deter hackers... all aboard, friends. We're on the hype train to the salt mines.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 78266 So the art for the roster is coming along well... This is ironically the easy part. Shantae's done, but Shovel Knight is halfway there.

However, as someone currently studying Photoshop, working with Gimp is like trying to work with a spoiled child at the moment. :/

Does anyone here know how to reset the brushes?
So are you guys actually making an indie 2D fighter?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

Alright, Shantae & SK are fully colored and ret-2-go. Shantae's design is based on her Pirate's Curse incarnation, but with more of an emphasis on the vest. She is also wearing the scarf Ko Takeuchi gave her. She also is a bit more thicker to look stronger.

Now for the hard part, actually making a background and roster.

Any idea for a color or theme for the BG?
So are you guys actually making an indie 2D fighter?
I wish. This is only a mockup roster to visualize an idea I have for one.

However... when this mockup is done, I'm gonna need some of you with twitter accounts to help me get this buzzing on social media, perferably linking it to Yacht Club, Matt, and Wayforward. Possibly along with the other devs who's characters appear on the roster.

I think I may have something with a huge amount of potential going here.

If Shantae nor Shovel Knight (or any indies at all) get into Smash Bros, this could be a fantastic "Plan B" for Indie Devs.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
View attachment 78280
Alright, Shantae & SK are fully colored and ret-2-go. Shantae's design is based on her Pirate's Curse incarnation, but with more of an emphasis on the vest. She is also wearing the scarf Ko Takeuchi gave her. She also is a bit more thicker to look stronger.

Now for the hard part, actually making a background and roster.

Any idea for a color or theme for the BG?

I wish. This is only a mockup roster to visualize an idea I have for one.

However... when this mockup is done, I'm gonna need some of you with twitter accounts to help me get this buzzing on social media, perferably linking it to Yacht Club, Matt, and Wayforward. Possibly along with the other devs who's characters appear on the roster.

I think I may have something with a huge amount of potential going here.

If Shantae nor Shovel Knight (or any indies at all) get into Smash Bros, this could be a fantastic "Plan B" for Indie Devs.
Nice and how did you shade it ?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I have to say, I'm definitely getting a bit impatient with the fellows myself as well...

I mean, I understand how much time it takes to make these awesome fighters, and I understand it can take quite awhile...

However, the thing that has me urked in particular, is the fact they have been relatively.... quiet.

When the ballot originally ended, I wasn't expecting a straight up instant fanfare. What I was expecting, was Nintendo, or Sakurai, or ANYONE to come out in some short statement or something, and be like "Hey everyone. The ballot deadline has finally been reached, and it has now been closed. We are currently in the process of tallying up the results, and will make an announcement soon, or at a later date. Please be patient! :)"

But no. We couldn't even have that. We're all having to sit here and wait until something happens.. or SOMETHING is said.. Really, I hope they say something soon. I don't even care if it's announcing characters, just something to humor us and let us know they haven't forgotten about us XD

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Honestly, I'm not expecting groundbreaking news out of NoJ any time soon! They've undergone a lot of restructuring in the wake of Iwata's passing and likely will continue to do so for a while. You can't expect Nintendo to leap willy nilly back into the fray all at once. This is a difficult time of transition. As the great man himself said, "Please understand."

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I really feel bad for the lesser known girls in gaming. Especially Shantae and the female cast of Touhou Project.

Just because they aren't part of AAA titles or consist of a mostly female cast doesn't mean they're oversexualixed waifu trash.

Actually play the freaking games to judge them, rather than spending 10 minutes on DeviantART and Danbooru.

grumblegrumble

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I really feel bad for the lesser known girls in gaming. Especially Shantae and the female cast of Touhou Project.

Just because they aren't part of AAA titles or consist of a mostly female cast doesn't mean they're oversexualixed waifu trash.

Actually play the freaking games to judge them, rather than spending 10 minutes on DeviantART and Danbooru.

grumblegrumble
That's just how the internet is there's a lot of idiots who want to judge on looks before actually knowing the character it's a damn shame really but such is the way of the net...ya know we're almost to 200 pages should we celebrate that our support for our half-genie hero has made this far ?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Shantae seems like the right choice for DLC, her being a female character makes her even better, plus a female indie, she'd be hype.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Well, I think regardless whether Shantae gets in or not, we as a community should hold our heads high. The amount of support and love for our favorite girl has been overwhelming. We came together and immediately took initiative. It goes to show how strong a community we really are, and makes me very happy and proud to be a part of it.

goatman2112

Smash Rookie
Well, I think regardless whether Shantae gets in or not, we as a community should hold our heads high. The amount of support and love for our favorite girl has been overwhelming. We came together and immediately took initiative. It goes to show how strong a community we really are, and makes me very happy and proud to be a part of it.
I agree. This thread was the reason I signed up for Smashboards, at it got me to find a community that enjoyed what I thought was a little obscure game from the end of the gameboy color era that grew into an impassioned community. Happy to be here.

Majorauss

Smash Rookie
I agree. This thread was the reason I signed up for Smashboards, at it got me to find a community that enjoyed what I thought was a little obscure game from the end of the gameboy color era that grew into an impassioned community. Happy to be here.
I made an account because of this thread too. I love the community here, and even though I don't comment often at all, I enjoy seeing all the great posts by great people.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah win or lose their is always next Smash game.

Top Bottom