• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
And this is why I'd wish Nintendo would say something ballot wise. They haven't said anything since the ballot closed, unless they're planning to suprise us with one of the winners.

Too many Shovel Knight "leaks", I swear. And all of this started because of that freakin' Amiibo.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
And this is why I'd wish Nintendo would say something ballot wise. They haven't said anything since the ballot closed, unless they're planning to suprise us with one of the winners.

Too many Shovel Knight "leaks", I swear. And all of this started because of that freakin' Amiibo.
However, there is no love for Toad...
image.jpg
sigh

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
(@dbMisadventure on twitter)
View attachment 77723
I really feel bad for that Tinkerbat.
Oh cool I love that dude's artwork and that poor Tinkerbat indeed

I do have YET another art to share but it's of Risky and this is MY first time drawing her too~

Genie Risky.PNG

This was drawn before my last Urban Shantae I wasn't sure what to do with Risky's hair as it's too confusing where she in Pirate's Curse we see it short throughout the game and in the swimsuit image but it's long as Shantae's when she's in the Princess outfit I wonder why her hair switches from short to long

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Oh cool I love that dude's artwork and that poor Tinkerbat indeed

I do have YET another art to share but it's of Risky and this is MY first time drawing her too~

This was drawn before my last Urban Shantae I wasn't sure what to do with Risky's hair as it's too confusing where she in Pirate's Curse we see it short throughout the game and in the swimsuit image but it's long as Shantae's when she's in the Princess outfit I wonder why her hair switches from short to long
Risky's always had average-length hair.

It's somewhat of an error on the art for Pirate's Curse.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
(Leon4989 on DeviantART)
image.jpg

LONG BEFORE THE BALLOT

THERE WAS THIS

AND IT IS FANTASTIC

I admit, I'm a sucker for combat-based action in visual mediums, especially comics and manga.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Not at all, according to what Children0fTheStars Children0fTheStars has told me.

This wasn't intended to be a double post... Yay smartphones
If it's about the RogersBase rumor, I don't think I said it was all fake; it's more the fact that what's going on is one attention-seeking guy spreading self-fulfilling prophecies and giving off the impression of having credibility because of his association with RogersBase and a few others.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If it's about the RogersBase rumor, I don't think I said it was all fake; it's more the fact that what's going on is one attention-seeking guy spreading self-fulfilling prophecies and giving off the impression of having credibility because of his association with RogersBase and a few others.
It's the Roger and Stealth rumor.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
In that case, about that article: This wouldn't be about someone leaking concrete information. I've said it before: If you go over what he's said, his "hints" are prophecies that make themselves true. He's only doing it all for a few minutes of social media fame. As well as having another alleged leak on his résumé to brag about.

The ballot closed this month, and the holiday season is coming up. Anyone could come up with vague claims such as his and pass it off as a "leak". He's only getting attention because he knows a guy that was once some kind of lower-level NoA employee.

So it's really not a matter of choosing to believe it or not.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The keyword here is former.

If Roger isn't working there anymore, how does he collect new info?

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
So did anyone else see how Sean Hicks apparently knows the next DLC character (from a source :glare:) and may have accidentally leaked it?

Not sure whether I buy it or not.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, what are the chances of shantae getting in to smash to you guys? Can you give me a percentage?
I give it 30% chance unfortunately. And even that feels a little too generous.

But I refuse to give up hope.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
How high of a possibility do you guys think that Shantae will be in Smash. (no bias.)

Nintendo is going to have a female in the DLC pack. So i'm comparing her chances to the 2 other most likely females. Inkling and Daisy. I think that all have an amazing chance. But if I had to choose... I think that the most disappointing one, Inkling will be in. Splatoon is really big and I feel like Nintendo is really trying to make it an All-Star title like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. I think this because of all the merch, Amiibo, and a lot of other things. The other two are tied for my most wanted DLC but I just can't picture Shantae or Daisy in. Also, there are a lot of Mario character so that also contributes to it. But overall this is the possibility rates imo. They're all pretty close. S:33 I:35 D:32 Unfortunately.
Well, Shantae has at least garnered enough votes that at a minimum her name will come up when Sakurai and the other decision makers meet to narrow down the list of potential DLC picks. What they'll actually make of Shantae is impossible to guess with any accuracy at all.

Shantae isn't nearly as high profile as any of the third party characters that have been picked in the past, and lots of people have concluded that her odds are bad on that basis. The comparison is flawed though, because with the ballot we have a very different circumstance, and there are lots of important differences between Shantae and the previously added third party characters aside from name recognition. The evidence we have on Sakurai's decision-making about different characters in different circumstances isn't really applicable here. Similar reasoning applies to pretty much every other argument for and against Shantae.

So, all bias removed, here's all anyone can tell you: Shantae as a ballot candidate has a bunch of pros and a few cons, and the importance of each is totally subjective. Whether Shantae gets added to the game therefore depends on the subjective weighting of these pros and cons by whomever has decision making power. Nobody knows how well each of those pros and cons will resonate with Sakurai, or whoever else plays a role in making that decision. Anybody who thinks they've got Sakurai and Nintendo that well figured out is fooling themselves, no matter how many Famitsu columns they may have read.

Bottom line: we don't have enough information to make even a tentative estimation of Shantae's chances. There are just too many unknown factors.

EDIT: As a side note, I wouldn't count Inklings as a female character. They count under the "gender selectable" category with Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Villager. So even if it is the case that there is a DLC slot reserved for a female character, I don't think that Inklings would fill that slot.

I have a question, what are the chances of shantae getting in to smash to you guys? Can you give me a percentage?
See what I wrote above. I once put her odds at 40%, but the truth is that any number that anyone gives you is going to be pulled out of their ass (including the one I just gave you). People on here generally have a better, less biased understanding of the arguments for and against Shantae than posters elsewhere, but nobody can really give a good answer to your question.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: As a side note, I wouldn't count Inklings as a female character. They count under the "gender selectable" category with Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Villager. So even if it is the case that there is a DLC slot reserved for a female character, I don't think that Inklings would fill that slot.
Yeah, but it's a guarantee that the rest of the fanbase won't see it that way.

Honestly, I never had an opinion on it before as I was indifferent to Splatoon, but recently it seems like the fanbase has been... oddly aggressive towards others thanks to recent events. I'll just leave it at that.

Shantae isn't nearly as high profile as any of the third party characters that have been picked in the past, and lots of people have concluded that her odds are bad on that basis. The comparison is flawed though, because with the ballot we have a very different circumstance, and there are lots of important differences between Shantae and the previously added third party characters aside from name recognition. The evidence we have on Sakurai's decision-making about different characters in different circumstances isn't really applicable here. Similar reasoning applies to pretty much every other argument for and against Shantae.
The interesting and funny thing is that she seems to fit Sakurai's general criteria for third-parties: good history, closely linked to Nintendo in spite of a multiplat series, and that series certainly has a future; after all, I brought up Half-Genie Hero's upcoming release, specifically its Wii U release, in my vote for her for a reason.

In terms of anything working against her as a third-party, the only objections have been the fan-made rules. Being "iconic" is the big offender. By extension, most people can't come up with much beyond another rule: "but teh indees".

What's even more funny, and sad at the same time, is that WayForward has been nothing but benevolent towards Nintendo; in fact, I honestly don't think any of the owners of the possible third-party contenders can compare to them. Maybe that's slight bias talking, but we do at least know how they've always given Nintendo their cooperation. Even painstakingly getting Shantae and the Pirate's Curse localized, with a physical copy no less, for the Japanese audience.

There's also the fact that Sakurai said he wants newcomers to bring new things to the table. We've discussed how she'd fit that.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I would say that Shantae's somewhat iconic for her obscurity, like Ness, but I constantly remember how well the Kickstarter did (despite being blindsided by Mighty No. 9, with Shantae having the last laugh).

The main problem, if indies are the case, is that Shantae and Wayforward constantly gets the short end of the stick. With Shantae being the oldest indie icon (heck, she was conceptualized before Cave Story started development), with Nintendo loving to constantly bring back old faces, Shantae, unfortunately, doesn't really get that much love from them. She had to piggyback on the magazine that wasn't even attached to Nintendo anymore, got a few ads on the eshop, and a cameo in WarioWare DIY, which did just about nothing.

In terms of Indies, the main reason Shantae and Shovel Knight are butting heads in the ballot is for one reason: Nintendo's pushing Shovel Knight a lot more, while Shantae is the one truly supported by a fandom (and Wayforward's encouragement).

Considering how Wayforward has said that they loved working on Nintendo platforms, with Matt Bozon considering the Nintendo fans their best audience, they don't really get much out of it, which is most likely why Shantae's been appearing on other platforms.

It's like Shantae's the older sister who gets nothing for mowing the lawn, cleaning the patio, and taking out the trash, with Shovel Knight being the younger brother who gets $10 for washing the dishes and existing.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Shovel Knight, the retail version got a price increase, with no way to justify it, even though there's plenty of ways to do so, such as coupons for WeLoveFine...

The Xbox One retail version was also cancelled, which means we truly will never be able to PRE-ORDER BATTLETOADS.
image.jpg

(There's your outdated meme for the week.)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Speaking of Shovel Knight, the retail version got a price increase, with no way to justify it, even though there's plenty of ways to do so, such as coupons for WeLoveFine...

The Xbox One retail version was also cancelled, which means we truly will never be able to PRE-ORDER BATTLETOADS.
View attachment 77854
Rare Replay had Battletoads.

In fact, before Rare Replay was released, I was at GameStop and saw an employee wearing a button saying, "Ask me about Battletoads". I chuckled when I saw it.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
In fact, before Rare Replay was released, I was at GameStop and saw an employee wearing a button saying, "Ask me about Battletoads". I chuckled when I saw it.
WOAH REALLY?!

This is the best thing I've heard all day!

On a serious note, I'm really happy that Rare Replay has the arcade version.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

View attachment 77854
I believe the Xbox version was canned because a certain amount of copies has to be produced in order to be made. Maybe Yacht did not think it could work?
That and their practice involving ID@Xbox or whatever.

Back on topic, any word on a release for Half Genie Hero?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I believe the Xbox version was canned because a certain amount of copies has to be produced in order to be made. Maybe Yacht did not think it could work?
That and their practice involving ID@Xbox or whatever.

Back on topic, any word on a release for Half Genie Hero?
Or the backer rewards?

Even Mighty No. 9's backer rewards are starting to be shipped.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
This ballot (and tying in with it, the introduction of DLC to the series) has caused far more harm than good to the community. I swear.

But I had a question: Am I correct in assuming there's no way to link an image directly from Miiverse?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Competition always brings out the haters man. You're always bound to get vocal jerkwads telling off anyone they disagree with, while the silent majority is content.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Well, what kind of makes me sick is the fact that, in a way, the ballot was (supposedly) a gift from Iwata himself to the fans. And instead of being thankful for an unprecedented opportunity for the Smash series, people just chose to fight over it the moment after the ballot opened. No good deed goes unpunished, as usual.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, what kind of makes me sick is the fact that, in a way, the ballot was (supposedly) a gift from Iwata himself to the fans. And instead of being thankful for an unprecedented opportunity for the Smash series, people just chose to fight over it the moment after the ballot opened. No good deed goes unpunished, as usual.
Isn't that what happens for anything that involves voting?

Especially considering how this a ballot with a character randomly chosen, rather than a election, where the highest voted wins?

The Smash fanbase has always been a massive horde of chimps, anyway. As is the way of video games with a competitive scene.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
OOOOOH HYPEEEEE

Wayforward's teasing a sequel to LIT!

SLOW DOWN GUYS I CAN'T HANDLE ALL THESE GAMES

Hopefully, since this isn't on the Wii, and now that Wayforward is getting better with 3D modeling... It doesn't look mediocre. The game wasn't terrible, it was okay.

Now all we need is a sequel to Mighty Milky Way.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Honestly, the names I see coming up the most for Smash DLC are Shantae, Shovel Knight, K Rool, Snake, Isaac, and Wolf. Since I'd prefer newcomers and don't think Snake is likely any more, I think Shantae, K Rool, and Isaac would be awesome.

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the names I see coming up the most for Smash DLC are Shantae, Shovel Knight, K Rool, Snake, Isaac, and Wolf. Since I'd prefer newcomers and don't think Snake is likely any more, I think Shantae, K Rool, and Isaac would be awesome.
Personally, I think that the 3 DLC characters will be Inkling, K Rool, Shovel Knight. :(

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It's just an opinion, but I think people might be jumping the gun on Inklings. Though I'm not saying whether or not they're likely to be picked.

But, unless he really is the Mary Sue of indie characters, I really can't imagine Shovel Knight being chosen when one of the "rules" Sakurai talked about for third-parties was that the character should have a good history. The guy was made within the last two years.

I doubt he's worth worrying about.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I've kinda noticed that a bunch of indie characters have this habit of falling into a blank slate category of character, which don't get me wrong, isn't necessarily a bad thing (often indie games like Shovel Knight or Cave Story will tend to have the personality come from outside the "main character"), but the fact that Wayforward went out of their ways to make Shantae have as much personality as possible in her games tends to make me think she's just a more viable option over all, you know?

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
It's just an opinion, but I think people might be jumping the gun on Inklings. Though I'm not saying whether or not they're likely to be picked.

But, unless he really is the Mary Sue of indie characters, I really can't imagine Shovel Knight being chosen when one of the "rules" Sakurai talked about for third-parties was that the character should have a good history. The guy was made within the last two years.

I doubt he's worth worrying about.
You may be right, but I think Nintendo is trying to push him and make him bigger. They like the character so he isn't ruled out yet.
P.S I don't like Shovel Knight.

Top Bottom