• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Go ahead and add me to the supporters. I see great potential in this character specifically.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You'd be surprised how tiny Charizard actually should be. He's 5 feet tall.
Well, I don't mean his size, again, I mean his proportions, what Sakurai said about Ridley. Charizards wings got slightly bigger compared to his Brawl incarnation, and Bowser's design is modified and is different compared to his regular designs in the standard Marion games.

Well... K. Rool has sorta been described as being what Bowser is to Mario. Not only that though. He's a very iconic DK villain, and has a plethora of moveset possibilities. To really understand a character, sometimes you have to experience it first hand. For example, outside the metroid series, Dark Samus would just look like a Samus clone. To really understand the liking for a character you have to delve into their backstory and into things they have done in the series.

I'm not particularly a K. Rool campaigner myself, but I have respect enough to know he is an important, iconic villain for many DK fans. I would certainly understand his inclusion.
This, pretty much. I'm not a direct KKR supporter, but I can totally see why people want him and why his inclusion is understandable, I wouldn't mind him in.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Well... K. Rool has sorta been described as being what Bowser is to Mario. Not only that though. He's a very iconic DK villain, and has a plethora of moveset possibilities. To really understand a character, sometimes you have to experience it first hand. For example, outside the metroid series, Dark Samus would just look like a Samus clone. To really understand the liking for a character you have to delve into their backstory and into things they have done in the series.

I'm not particularly a K. Rool campaigner myself, but I have respect enough to know he is an important, iconic villain for many DK fans. I would certainly understand his inclusion.
Same here. I'm not much of a King K. Rool supporter myself, and I don't know anything about him but being the antagonist of the DK series, but I still respect him, even to a point where I wouldn't mind him in Smash at all. It's like you said, he's a very iconic DK villain.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
What I'm worried about is all of these random characters that like 5 people want make it in and all we get is a Shantae Mii outfit. Like, no. Nintendo. Stop. This is not what we want. It would almost hurt more, in a way, if this did happen. My heart goes out to all Zero fans.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
What I'm worried about is all of these random characters that like 5 people want make it in and all we get is a Shantae Mii outfit. Like, no. Nintendo. Stop. This is not what we want. It would almost hurt more, in a way, if this did happen. My heart goes out to all Zero fans.
Well so far, this hardly seems like anything is random. They are being fairly accurate in the fan stuff.

Mewtwo - Had a strong melee fanbase, and many desired for his return. (Heck we had people begging for Mewtwo every single Smash trailer before Sm4sh released to be honest XD)

Lucas - From the game Mother 3. A lot of fans were disappointed when he was "cut" from the game.. it makes sense they would bring him back.

Roy - Another melee fan favorite

Ryu - Though I'm not really sure how things are for this guy fanbase wise, I do know he is a fairly iconic character (especially in the fighter genre in general). So even though some may not have asked for him, he is far from random.

All of that is pre-ballot dlc anyway, which has no effect on the results of the ballot (which ends in October)

If you're worried about things like Shrek.. don't worry. Just because something gets like a billion votes doesn't necessarily mean it will be added to the game. Sakurai and his team still have to decide to make it... and considering this is focusing on fan popularity, I doubt troll stuff would get in. (In general: If it wouldn't sell, they wouldn't make it.)

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Well so far, this hardly seems like anything is random. They are being fairly accurate in the fan stuff.

Mewtwo - Had a strong melee fanbase, and many desired for his return. (Heck we had people begging for Mewtwo every single Smash trailer before Sm4sh released to be honest XD)

Lucas - From the game Mother 3. A lot of fans were disappointed when he was "cut" from the game.. it makes sense they would bring him back.

Roy - Another melee fan favorite

Ryu - Though I'm not really sure how things are for this guy fanbase wise, I do know he is a fairly iconic character (especially in the fighter genre in general). So even though some may not have asked for him, he is far from random.

All of that is pre-ballot dlc anyway, which has no effect on the results of the ballot (which ends in October)

If you're worried about things like Shrek.. don't worry. Just because something gets like a billion votes doesn't necessarily mean it will be added to the game. Sakurai and his team still have to decide to make it... and considering this is focusing on fan popularity, I doubt troll stuff would get in. (In general: If it wouldn't sell, they wouldn't make it.)
I'm aware that everything so far has been concise and heavily requested. I really just have a personal grudge against Mii outfits. They make me more worried every time I see one that one of the characters I want in the game will become one of them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I suppose you guyals are right. K Rool just ain't for me, is all.
I'd still prefer the slot would go to others tho :p

I'd really like to know the ballot results, don't need to be surprised right as the character would be released. give me something to anticipate, ya know? Well, I also wanna know if my characters are making it in XD.

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I'm aware that everything so far has been concise and heavily requested. I really just have a personal grudge against Mii outfits. They make me more worried every time I see one that one of the characters I want in the game will become one of them.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Meta Knight's mask was revealed in the game before he was and everyone was paranoid (or grateful) that he wouldn't be coming back. Other playable characters have mii stuff based around them too.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
True, but MK was a vet from Brawl. I just feel like 3rd party characters getting a costume is curtains. Nothing I'll lose sleep over, but it's definitely at the back of my mind 0-0

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Is it bad in Shantae that I'm down to one life?... I sorta died a few times to the blown up bridge sections.. :/ stupid cheatin big chested pirate..

True, but MK was a vet from Brawl. I just feel like 3rd party characters getting a costume is curtains. Nothing I'll lose sleep over, but it's definitely at the back of my mind 0-0
I feel like they are going to use those to troll a lot of people to be honest. Never trust game devs... I definitely won't be making any decisions myself until after the ballot has closed and we have gotten all of our DLC fighters.

As I warn you. until then, there will be trolling. and there WILL be salt. lol XD

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Ah, I get what you mean. I can imagine it's probably like that for the other fighting game characters, especially since it was explicitly stated that those costumes were those series' (Tekken and Virtua) representation. Still though, anything's possible at this point so there's no point in ruling anything out.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Shantae is too smooth for a mii outfit. Miis are too clunky. They lack the smooth moves of the belly dancing half-genie hero... lol

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Well uhh I can't really do much unique clothing wise (like giving her shorts instead of her half-genie attire), but I did recolor it the best I could to match Rottytops' appearance!

There might be some micropixel blemishes.. but not much I can do about that. I know it's not exactly what you might have been hoping for but it's the best I could do! ^_^

Anyways I'm all gimped out for the day... feel like I've been staring at nothing but pixels for hours XD
Late reply.
Just wanted to ask, think you can do another one
with the black alt skin? If you can't, it's all good.

Atown1z

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Meta Knight's mask was revealed in the game before he was and everyone was paranoid (or grateful) that he wouldn't be coming back. Other playable characters have mii stuff based around them too.
Not to mention that they also gave us a Link costume as DLC, and yet we obviously already have Link in the game.
Also, hey guys. It's been a while since I said anything on here. I've just been lurking for a really long time.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
While we're on the subject of supporters, I may as well rip a bunch of the current totals at last count:
1) Wolf: 2,457
2) K. Rool: 846
3) Krystal: (I assume she's around here somewhere in the list but I can't confirm because THE THREAD HAS NO SUPPORTER LIST AAAAAA)
4) Isaac: 260
5) Shovel Knight (another standing assumption because of a lack of a supporter list >:U)
6) Bomberman: 170
7) Paper Mario: 168
8) Rayman: 155
9) Shantae: 143
10) Daisy: 128
11) Inkling: 123
12) Sceptile: 120 (bare in mind the thread OP hasn't been updated for a good few months)
13) Captain Toad: 104
14) Dixie Kong: 98
15) Ray (Custom Robo): 92
16) Professor Layton: 83
17) Medusa: 56
18) Mona (Wario Ware): 46
19) Snake: 41 (the count cuts off there with "and more"... real helpful, thread OP, you go here until you get a recent count)
20) Tetra: 38
21) Ivysaur: 37
22) Quote (Cave Story): 32
23) Squirtle: 29
24) Geno: 28? (the thread's OP has not been updated in quite a while)
25) Young Link: 21
26) Lloyd Irving: 14
These are only Smashboards-centric polls of course, these don't speak for worldwide opinions, nor do they factor in playability or legacy or whatever.

It's a safe assumption that we're not catching up to K. Rool, let alone Wolf, but this is forgivable since they're both first-party and have had mountains upon mountains of supporters since the Brawl days. I'm honestly surprised Shantae is as high up on the list as she is.

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
While we're on the subject of supporters, I may as well rip a bunch of the current totals at last count:
3) Krystal: (I assume she's around here somewhere in the list but I can't confirm because THE THREAD HAS NO SUPPORTER LIST AAAAAA)
5) Shovel Knight (another standing assumption because of a lack of a supporter list >:U)
12) Sceptile: 120 (bare in mind the thread OP hasn't been updated for a good few months)
19) Snake: 41 (the count cuts off there with "and more"... real helpful, thread OP, you go here until you get a recent count)
These are only Smashboards-centric polls of course, these don't speak for worldwide opinions, nor do they factor in playability or legacy or whatever.

It's a safe assumption that we're not catching up to K. Rool, let alone Wolf, but this is forgivable since they're both first-party and have had mountains upon mountains of supporters since the Brawl days. I'm honestly surprised Shantae is as high up on the list as she is.
Let's just hope we get above Shovel Knight. I don't see why Nintendo would want him in considering he has closer relations to Sony and Microsoft by having guest character boss fights.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's just hope we get above Shovel Knight. I don't see why Nintendo would want him in considering he has closer relations to Sony and Microsoft by having guest character boss fights.
Shantae's more likely than Shovel Knight off of Legacy, known future, and ACTUALLY HAVING JAPANESE RELEASES.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Hey, am I on the supporter list yet? I can't seem to find my name on it...
Welcome to the support group! Added!

Update @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8

Pyropuppet
Majorauss
Laniv
Manic Rykker
Burruni
SilverEra
Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog
Serell
Damenshi
gb7zone7
BigShad
Yellowlord
TheJukeBox
CNMNE
BlitzUnleashed
Captain Hazama
dangeraaron10
lightdasher
MoveMan1
DaemonDD
Boo Jr.
CFood
Zoljinx
Spinda654
Loïc
Inawordyes
JamesDNaux
slambros
Mao644
WarioJim
Smashoperatingbuddy123
AreJay25
blujay1524
War Anvil
Wolley2xjd
ikke471
SuaveChaser
coolsye
grizby2
s07195
Solbliminal
PsychoJosh
Potatoharbinger
Iceweasel
Volaro
Camc10
Atown1z
Chico2099
Bobert77
Mudkip97
KenithTheGatherer
TeenGirlSquad
GenieGene
Shog
Vsaur
Erotic&Heretic
SuperNintendoKid
Erotic&Heretic
JCOnyx
DNeon
Ryuji
ChaosOmega
SS-bros14
Sari
SpatialPSI
Kero the Invincible
Nekoo
Darklink401
Fatmanonice
toadster101
CaptainCrisb
PsychoIncarnate
Staarih
Silvia
JDogindy
Arcadenik
Mask and Mirror
ZeroJanitor
Freduardo
Princess Toady
smashkirby
Teeb147
KeyFortune
SmashingObjection
Manakete[_]Lotys
The Flying Brick

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Late reply.
Just wanted to ask, think you can do another one
with the black alt skin? If you can't, it's all good.
Like just darker skin? or is the entire scheme adjusted? Either way I could probably do it... (it'd also help if you could show me the scheme you're talking about)

Anyway. Got another alt to show you all

It's Shantae - Bad Lighting Edition! :D

...:troll: (Bonus points if you get the reference)

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927

We're above Inklings. That's a good sign.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Like just darker skin? or is the entire scheme adjusted? Either way I could probably do it... (it'd also help if you could show me the scheme you're talking about)

Anyway. Got another alt to show you all

It's Shantae - Bad Lighting Edition! :D

...:troll: (Bonus points if you get the reference)
FF13?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Actually it's an early Half-Genie Hero Reference.

Early images of Shantae (both on promotional stuff like this and ingame) showed Shantae as white. This pissed off a lot of fans, and it was quickly fixed. Wayforward said it was an issue with the lighting engine in the game at the time, and they weren't able to fix the issue in time before releasing the early gameplay and promotional stuff

It of course has now since been fixed.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Actually it's an early Half-Genie Hero Reference.

Early images of Shantae (both on promotional stuff like this and ingame) showed Shantae as white. This pissed off a lot of fans, and it was quickly fixed. Wayforward said it was an issue with the lighting engine in the game at the time, and they weren't able to fix the issue in time before releasing the early gameplay and promotional stuff

It of course has now since been fixed.
Good. Risky-pale Shantae didn't look right.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Shantae has Japanese releases? BTW love the profile pic. Gotta get dat salt Umbrella and Annie:troll:
oh yea mMs. Frizzle, she's gotta have a japanese release to stand a chance against banjo and kazoo.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
oh yea mMs. Frizzle, she's gotta have a japanese release to stand a chance against banjo and kazoo.
The amount of votes for Ms. Frizzle in the US alone trump the amount of votes for Banjo and Kazooie.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Speaking of which, how exactly are the votes for Banjo in Japan?
Probably not that many. Most votes for these characters are majorly in the west than the east, unless it's specifically eastern based characters.

Also fyi, refrain from double posting, if you should have more to say before someone else post, use the edit tab under your post.

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Probably not that many. Most votes for these characters are majorly in the west than the east, unless it's specifically eastern based characters.

Also fyi, refrain from double posting, if you should have more to say before someone else post, use the edit tab under your post.
I guess a better question would be how popular are Banjo and Kazooie in Japan

I'll Remember that from now on. Sorry.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I guess a better question would be how popular are Banjo and Kazooie in Japan

I'll Remember that from now on. Sorry.
Well, since it's been a long time since a good Banjo game has been made, and since I think Rare's games didn't get that much notice over there at the time ( I may be entirely wrong here), I wouldn't think it's very high there, imo.

And it's fine, no worries. :)

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Well, since it's been a long time since a good Banjo game has been made, and since I think Rare's games didn't get that much notice over there at the time ( I may be entirely wrong here), I wouldn't think it's very high there, imo.

And it's fine, no worries. :)
So I'm guessing that means that Banjo and Kazooie are put at the same disadvantage as Shantae then.

This might also mean their small Japanese fan bases might be at be at competition here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'v been trying to find more recent surveys for character polls, and there aren't really ones except for this site.
Banjo wasn't high on japanese ones from what I did see.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So I'm guessing that means that Banjo and Kazooie are put at the same disadvantage as Shantae then.
Although I think Shantae at this point in time is a lot more popular than Banjo because of recency with games and likelihood, since Wayforward is more closer to Nintendo than Rare is because it's under Microsoft now, but I feel Shantae isn't screwed, so to speak. If not now, Smash 5 is something where Nintendo should be aware of her want.

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Last I checked, Japan was laughing at how stupid some of the Western audiences votes were. I could go check that forum poll again to see if any one character sticks out. Last time it was something along the lines of Agitha or someone else from Zelda.

Top Bottom