• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
:colorful:Hello fellow brethren. or as they say in these lands. Shantae Shantae Shantae. Shantae shantae.
Added to Support list. Welcome! :)

Well, listen here. While we make it clear. I can't believe you can't see what we see here.
A half genie, but a total he-ro. Other indies? Their chances ze-ro!
By the look of her lo~ocks, we've got DLC in the box!
Cuz you're one of us! One of us!
Midriff Lean & Purple Sheen!
Can't you see you're one of us.
You dance the dance, strike a battle stance
Arm and arm, to the roster - ADVANCE!

WELLLLLLLLLL, if what you say is true.
Then I guess we're sisters residing in Scuttle Town too.
With these ra~aids of Risky Bo~ots.
I guess we've no choice but to be in caho~ots.
Cuz I'm one of you! One of you!
The same crew! Nothin I can do!
I can see I'm one of you!
One of you! One of you! The same crew!
I'm really one of YOUUUUUUU!
Edit:
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 concerning the "3D models" section in the OP, you should add the newer 3D models of Shantae:

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
I wanted to see what all the hype around Shantae was about, so I bought Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse. Loved both games and I would love to see the Half Genie Hero in Smash. Seems like she would fit right in. The only real problem is that she doesn't exist in Japan. Other than that, no reason not to include her.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to see what all the hype around Shantae was about, so I bought Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse. Loved both games and I would love to see the Half Genie Hero in Smash. Seems like she would fit right in. The only real problem is that she doesn't exist in Japan. Other than that, no reason not to include her.
Yeah the Japan problem won't be too big because Shantae actually does have a fan base in Japan although not too big. The real issue at hand is not a lot of people know about her in general and she's an indie character, so it's unknown where Sakurai is on the idea of an indie character coming to Smash.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Yeah the Japan problem won't be too big because Shantae actually does have a fan base in Japan although not too big. The real issue at hand is not a lot of people know about her in general and she's an indie character, so it's unknown where Sakurai is on the idea of an indie character coming to Smash.
True, but Ryu made it in for some reason. Not an idie character, true, but I doubt they would tell us that ANY video game character had a shot then say no to a character because a big name company like Capcom or Sega didn't make them.

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
True, but Ryu made it in for some reason. Not and idie character, true, but I doubt they would tell us that ANY video game character had a shot then say no to a character because a big name company like Capcom or Sega didn't make them.
Yeah I see your point but then that means in order for her to get noticed we're going to need ALOT of votes for Shantae. That means being on par with K. Rool and others.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Welcome to the group.

As for the whole popularity in Japan thing, I don't think that's too much of an issue. While obviously not big, she does have a following over there (and if this is anything to go by, there's a decent amount of them that are at least aware of her).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ooo Hazama, you want the same characters I want in smash :)
-

I like the the dancing Shantae gifs I'm seeing around btw <3

Mario123311

Smash Ace
TBH While I haven't played any of her games... I say I'm perfectly up to her being in Smash seeing as I think she looks rather interesting and such... Now I wonder who her VA would be? =p

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Dunno about Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cristina Vee. She provided the vocals for Dance into Danger, and voiced Shantae in Pirates Curse.. I also believe she'll be voicing her in Half-Genie Hero as well.. so if she didn't voice her I'd actually kinda be shocked XD

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Just beat Pirate's Curse for the first time and thought it was a blast! Add me to the supporter list, Shantae ftw!
Added and Welcome to the group! :)

Also still waiting for @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 to update the front page.

Pyropuppet
Majorauss
Laniv
Manic Rykker
Burruni
SilverEra
Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog
Serell
Damenshi
gb7zone7
BigShad
Yellowlord
TheJukeBox
CNMNE
BlitzUnleashed
Captain Hazama
dangeraaron10
lightdasher
MoveMan1
DaemonDD
Boo Jr.
CFood
Zoljinx
Spinda654
Loïc
Inawordyes
JamesDNaux
slambros
Mao644
WarioJim
Smashoperatingbuddy123
AreJay25
blujay1524
War Anvil
Wolley2xjd
ikke471
SuaveChaser
coolsye
grizby2
s07195
Solbliminal
PsychoJosh
Potatoharbinger
Iceweasel
Volaro
Camc10
Atown1z
Chico2099
Bobert77
Mudkip97
KenithTheGatherer
TeenGirlSquad
GenieGene
Shog
Vsaur
Erotic&Heretic
SuperNintendoKid
Erotic&Heretic
JCOnyx
DNeon
Ryuji
ChaosOmega
SS-bros14
Sari
SpatialPSI
Kero the Invincible
Nekoo
Darklink401
Fatmanonice
toadster101
CaptainCrisb
PsychoIncarnate
Staarih
Silvia
JDogindy
Arcadenik
Mask and Mirror
ZeroJanitor
Freduardo
Princess Toady
smashkirby
Teeb147
KeyFortune
SmashingObjection
Manakete[_]Lotys
The Flying Brick

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
TBH While I haven't played any of her games... I say I'm perfectly up to her being in Smash seeing as I think she looks rather interesting and such... Now I wonder who her VA would be? =p
Just beat Pirate's Curse for the first time and thought it was a blast! Add me to the supporter list, Shantae ftw!

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Added and Welcome to the group! :)

Also still waiting for @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 to update the front page.

Pyropuppet
Majorauss
Laniv
Manic Rykker
Burruni
SilverEra
Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog
Serell
Damenshi
gb7zone7
BigShad
Yellowlord
TheJukeBox
CNMNE
BlitzUnleashed
Captain Hazama
dangeraaron10
lightdasher
MoveMan1
DaemonDD
Boo Jr.
CFood
Zoljinx
Spinda654
Loïc
Inawordyes
JamesDNaux
slambros
Mao644
WarioJim
Smashoperatingbuddy123
AreJay25
blujay1524
War Anvil
Wolley2xjd
ikke471
SuaveChaser
coolsye
grizby2
s07195
Solbliminal
PsychoJosh
Potatoharbinger
Iceweasel
Volaro
Camc10
Atown1z
Chico2099
Bobert77
Mudkip97
KenithTheGatherer
TeenGirlSquad
GenieGene
Shog
Vsaur
Erotic&Heretic
SuperNintendoKid
Erotic&Heretic
JCOnyx
DNeon
Ryuji
ChaosOmega
SS-bros14
Sari
SpatialPSI
Kero the Invincible
Nekoo
Darklink401
Fatmanonice
toadster101
CaptainCrisb
PsychoIncarnate
Staarih
Silvia
JDogindy
Arcadenik
Mask and Mirror
ZeroJanitor
Freduardo
Princess Toady
smashkirby
Teeb147
KeyFortune
SmashingObjection
Do you think we'll ever catch up to K. Rool? I hope so.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I guess your right. Do you think he'll get in though?
It's up to Nintendo if he get's in, despite how much he's wanted. Even if you make it to like the top 3, that doesn't make that character guaranteed, if that character could be hard to create, using Ridley's argument as an example.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Just started playing Shantae on an emulator (A GBC one.. :/ I couldn't get it to work on any GBA emulators.. not even the VBA o_o)

Like it so far. Took me a bit through scuttle town to realize there was a run button tho... XD

Last edited:

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
Just started playing Shantae on an emulator (A GBC one.. :/ I couldn't get it to work on any GBA emulators.. not even the VBA o_o)

Like it so far. Took me a bit through scuttle town to realize there was a run button tho... XD
I've only played a bit of the Shantae games. Only the first one, and I admit I get lost sometimes in that. Still love the game though!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's up to Nintendo if he get's in, despite how much he's wanted. Even if you make it to like the top 3, that doesn't make that character guaranteed, if that character could be hard to create, using Ridley's argument as an example.
It's just Ridley has always been portrayed as a boss character. Sakurai had that mindset as well, and didn't want to shrink him down due to it "making him not be Ridley anymore"... Still doesn't change the fact Metroid has like two characters representing it's franchise, but oh well.. :/

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It's just Ridley has always been portrayed as a boss character. Sakurai had that mindset as well, and didn't want to shrink him down due to it "making him not be Ridley anymore"... Still doesn't change the fact Metroid has like two characters representing it's franchise, but oh well.. :/
I know, it's not a great example but it's the only case where "Sakurai prefers this character as this" kind of treatment is were I'm getting at.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I know, it's not a great example but it's the only case where "Sakurai prefers this character as this" kind of treatment is were I'm getting at.
Though kinda strange... I really think the same argument could have been done for a character like Olimar. "If we resized Olimar, he wouldn't be Olimar anymore." Then again this is Sakurai we're talking about... so I shouldn't be questioning his crazy ways... as he is wild after all XD

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Though kinda strange... I really think the same argument could have been done for a character like Olimar. "If we resized Olimar, he wouldn't be Olimar anymore." Then again this is Sakurai we're talking about... so I shouldn't be questioning his crazy ways... as he is wild after all XD
That's the point, as nearly all detractors against Ridley gave the same excuses that "That's not Ridley", making Ridley the exception to everything. It's gotten worse since Sakurai sided with that excuse, but it's nothing but lack of knowledge of what he could do to make Ridley work, not that he couldn't, only that he just don't know wthat to do with him other than gave him a boss role, since it's already there as a foundation.

But back to the point of KKR, as long as Sakurai can think of something unique for him, which if he tried I'm sure he can, than Rool's chances can indeed happen, like any other character, like Shantae.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Except it isn't Olimars size that defines his character. It's his reliance on the pikmin that defines him which Sakurai pulled off perfectly.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Except it isn't Olimars size that defines his character. It's his reliance on the pikmin that defines him which Sakurai pulled off perfectly.
A lot of the fanbase of Ridley would say the same, that his character is being fast and vicious, not his size, which is really the case, as he's the smallest of all the bosses in Metroid history. He's not as big as anyone says he is, it's about his "proportions", which shouldn't be a big deal with the likes of characters like Bowser and Charizard getting minor tweaks in design from Brawl for example to Smash 4.

But if Sakurai think he fits that role for now as a boss seen he doesn't have a idea of a playable role, then that's ok. Because if his role as a boss is because that's what makes Ridley, Ridley, than Bowser and Ganondorf should has said roles as well.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
A lot of the fanbase of Ridley would say the same, that his character is being fast and vicious, not his size, which is really the case, as he's the smallest of all the bosses in Metroid history. He's not as big as anyone says he is, it's about his "proportions", which shouldn't be a big deal with the likes of characters like Bowser and Charizard getting minor tweaks in design from Brawl for example to Smash 4.

But if Sakurai think he fits that role for now as a boss seen he doesn't have a idea of a playable role, then that's ok. Because if his role as a boss is because that's what makes Ridley, Ridley, than Bowser and Ganondorf should has said roles as well.

Exactly. Ridley's size isn't what defines his character either. There's the fact he is the leader of the space pirates, the most prominent, recurring enemy of Samus in the game... the fact he killed her parents..

To me, at this point the thing keeping him out is bias. Some probably jumped on the "HE'S TOO BIG!?!??!!" bandwagon due to the "MAH SLOTS" type fans, who fear their favorite character would be stood up by a purple alien dragon.. I'm sure there are some that might agree (for what ever reason..).. but the point still stands. The Ridley campaign is probably the most detracted campaign in Smash history, yet most of it's points could easily have been said about other characters.... yet they weren't.

I dunno. Maybe some day when Ridley isn't regarded as "just some boss from Metroid", Metroid might get a new character... (And Samus will have her Bowser... :/)

I digressed a bit though. Anyway... that wound would definitely heal if we got Shantae though c:

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice

You'd be surprised how tiny Charizard actually should be. He's 5 feet tall.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm ok with others wanting K.Rool, if they really like him, but I don't quite understand why they do. It'd just be another big reptile-like character like Bowser, and he doesn't seem that.. special, I dunno, just a big crocodile. Maybe I should be asking in the k.rool thread what they like about him, but I don't want to seem like I'm hating on him. I just don't know what people like about him, besides being another dk rep.

Ridley on the other hand.. is pretty badass.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'm ok with others wanting K.Rool, if they really like him, but I don't quite understand why they do. It'd just be another big reptile-like character like Bowser, and he doesn't seem that.. special, I dunno, just a big crocodile. Maybe I should be asking in the k.rool thread what they like about him, but I don't want to seem like I'm hating on him. I just don't know what people like about him, besides being another dk rep.

Ridley on the other hand.. is pretty badass.
Well... K. Rool has sorta been described as being what Bowser is to Mario. Not only that though. He's a very iconic DK villain, and has a plethora of moveset possibilities. To really understand a character, sometimes you have to experience it first hand. For example, outside the metroid series, Dark Samus would just look like a Samus clone. To really understand the liking for a character you have to delve into their backstory and into things they have done in the series.

I'm not particularly a K. Rool campaigner myself, but I have respect enough to know he is an important, iconic villain for many DK fans. I would certainly understand his inclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom