• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I remember that. That was back in 2013, I believe? Or early 2014. But I do remember someone sending an email to Wayforward about Shantae in Smash Bros. And I think it'll be an awesome idea, especially since she was born in the nintendo world, since her first game was exclusive to the GBC, before she became 3rd party.
She was always third-party. She just happened to be a third-party character that didn't appear on any platform other than the GBC.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I remember that. That was back in 2013, I believe? Or early 2014. But I do remember someone sending an email to Wayforward about Shantae in Smash Bros. And I think it'll be an awesome idea, especially since she was born in the nintendo world, since her first game was exclusive to the GBC, before she became 3rd party.
She was 3rd Party since her first game.
Because it and her were owned by Capcom until Wayforward bought the rights to it and made Risky's Revenge

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Actually I wanted Shantae in Smash, and was on about that before the smash ballot, but what is one voice in the grand scheme of things? But you bet, once the smash ballot hit, I immediately went to work on my vote.
Yeah..

That argument is especially common if the character is obscure. (Even if the character doesn't deserve the obscurity..)

They like to try to use that as leverage to make them seem "weaker" than the competition.. -_- (Blah blah blah out of fear of stolen slots, blah blah. I've been through that in my older posts XD)

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
She was always third-party. She just happened to be a third-party character that didn't appear on any platform other than the GBC.
Because it and her were owned by Capcom until Wayforward bought the rights to it and made Risky's Revenge
Forget what I said, then. My knowledge suck sometimes. But you know what they say: You learn something new everyday.

But I'm still happy to know how much people have wanted her in before the ballot.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about it more, Shantae WOULD be an awesome fighter to have in Smash Bros! She'd have a really call move set, I'll bet, though I wonder how her transformations would be integrated...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not exactly.

Shantae and her first game were fully owned by Matt Bozon and WayForward since the beginning, Capcom has only published this game in order to make it available on GBC in America, in the same way Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly.

Shantae and her first game were fully owned by Matt Bozon and WayForward since the beginning, Capcom has only published this game in order to make it available on GBC in America, in the same way Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.
So we were both wrong, then.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not exactly.

Well blame the SSB Roster Maker program for classifying her under capcom originally. My bad.

...But she was always 3rd Party.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Smashified favorited this.
Looks like it's going to be Shantae.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Smashified favorited this.
Looks like it's going to be Shantae.
Hate to say this, but Smashified favorites every single Twitter post that gets posted in their posts. As a result of this, It does not mean it will be Shantae based off that one post, I'm afraid. However, I still agree that the character they are doing is indeed Shantae.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hate to say this, but Smashified favorites every single Twitter post that gets posted in their posts. As a result of this, It does not mean it will be Shantae based off that one post, I'm afraid. However, I still agree that the character they are doing is indeed Shantae.
*Checks Twitter*
Huh, didn't notice that.
Never mind.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
*Checks Twitter*
Huh, didn't notice that.
Never mind.
It's alright. I think I ended up having that feeling at first before I found out they favorite all the tweets that are present in their posts. Still though, Shantae has been highly requested many many times, so I wouldn't worry; She will be next. :)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well it's certainly going to be a close race. To be honest it could be anywhere from Shantae, Krystal, Pheonix... Bandana dee? :3

Anyways there isn't any need to worry. They'll get to everyone eventually. I mean Shantae has too much want to be ignored XD

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd like to hope its Shantae, the pessimist and realist in me is predicting Krystal.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just not making the mistake of fully inflating my hype balloon too soon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as I'd like to hope its Shantae, the pessimist and realist in me is predicting Krystal.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just not making the mistake of fully inflating my hype balloon too soon.
Why Krystal might I ask? I support BlueboobsMcFurrydream Krystal but if we're talking Shantae replacements wouldn't Dixie be more apporriate? DK is lacking in reps, she has the hair, the animal buddies can substitute for transformations...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Why Krystal might I ask? I support BlueboobsMcFurrydream Krystal but if we're talking Shantae replacements wouldn't Dixie be more apporriate? DK is lacking in reps, she has the hair, the animal buddies can substitute for transformations...
In all due fairness, though it is annoying how DK's series has had the same two reps for two games now (Kirby, Zelda, and Metroid are also in that boat too obviously with their reps) it's also important to bare in mind Starfox LOST a rep as well. It is down to Fox and Falco, so they are in the same boat as well. Unless Wolf is gonna be all like "Can't let you cut me Sakurai" and get announced this E3, it is still a pressing matter. Fans want Krystal due to the possibilities of a unique refreshing character departing from the usual Fox mold the series usually gets.. That especially becomes apparent if you have played/seen Starfox Adventures. Plus she is cool in general lol XD

All in all in terms of first parties, DK's series isn't the only one that got the shaft this installment.. :/

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In all due fairness, though it is annoying how DK's series has had the same two reps for two games now (Kirby, Zelda, and Metroid are also in that boat too obviously with their reps) it's also important to bare in mind Starfox LOST a rep as well. It is down to Fox and Falco, so they are in the same boat as well. Unless Wolf is gonna be all like "Can't let you cut me Sakurai" and get announced this E3, it is still a pressing matter. Fans want Krystal due to the possibilities of a unique refreshing character departing from the usual Fox mold the series usually gets.. That especially becomes apparent if you have played/seen Starfox Adventures. Plus she is cool in general lol XD

All in all in terms of first parties, DK's series isn't the only one that got the shaft this installment.. :/
As a counter to that argument, what's stopping them from bringing Wolf back in her stead? He's easier to develop, has more fans support on account of people wanting to play him again and is more popular in Japan.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
As a counter to that argument, what's stopping them from bringing Wolf back in her stead? He's easier to develop, has more fans support on account of people wanting to play him again and is more popular in Japan.
Well I wasn't really arguing, more just stating a point..

If you wanna be that way though, to be honest, I won't really expect to see Wolf unless he ends up showing up and getting the pre-ballot treatment like Mewtwo/Lucas..

Even if he does show up, that doesn't kill Krystals changes. There is still the ballot. Before anyone says anything, the "slot stealing" is non-existent. We'll see whomever ends up being the most popular/reasonable.

Anyway, going a little more into personal opinions..:

I feel like my dislike for vets returning as DLC is simple: They feel like rehashed material that way... (Especially since you have to PAY for these, if I may remind you..) I mean there are tons of possibilities this time around, what with EVERY videogame character being eligible, and a majority of them offering possibly unique gameplay. As we have seen from Mewtwo and Lucas, there is VERY little chance of Vets getting much new other than a final smash (assuming they didn't have one already), and a few balance tweaks.. (This of course doesn't spell well for a few vets, whom I won't name.) To me, that is just boring. I would MUCH rather see new blood and new faces than to see characters I've already played before.. (Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them in a future installment, because then that is pre-release content, and I don't really mind that, as that sorta thing is set in stone, unlike the likes of this ballot.)

So really for me it's a love hate relationship.. On one hand I don't really mind them, as I did enjoy playing them when they were in the game. On another hand, there is the fact that "I've already played them".. This aspect especially applies for the clone/semi clone veterans. (As not all veterans are clones.. I mean I do miss Ice climbers, but they were cut due to technical stuff with the 3DS version.)

That is just me though! Not bashing on anyone or anything ^_^. This ballot has plenty of room for everyone, regardless of what character they are.

Edit: And to be honest... for newcomers, I desperately HOPE they don't take the easy way out with those and make them clones... if that ends up the case, I will be extremely disappointed... Infact I wouldn't even want the ballot to be run at all. I don't want to see more Falcondorfs pop up in Smash -_-

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Eh, part of my reasoning for Krystal getting Smashified before Shantae was that I saw a fair few Krystal tweets mingled with the Shantae ones, and I just can't help but expect the Krystal votes to exceed Shantae's just because... ugh... Krystal is first-party and thus more well-known. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though since third-party is kind of Smashified's thing, but the cynical side of me that's used to disappointment isn't holding his breath.

As for the returning vets thing, I wholeheartedly agree with @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker ; we've seen vets, clones and vet clones get enough flak from the playerbase already for being unoriginal, and the ballot is an opportunity for Nintendo to do something new. Mewtwo and Lucas only got away with it because they were announced before the ballot began; if the ballot results are only veterans, then its potential is completely wasted. I love the Ice Climbers and Wolf as much as the next guy - heck, they were my subs in Brawl - but I'd be willing to part with them if it meant some fresh faces.

It's times like these that I wish we knew more about how the ballot worked. Is Nintendo really waiting until October to tally all of the votes? Or are they seeing what characters get lots of votes and accepting them as the ballot goes on? What determines if a highly-desired character will be accepted and if it will be rejected? Does Ninendo have a list of characters they want and we're really just voting for them without knowing?

...Admittedly, that last one is just me being cynical again.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Eh, part of my reasoning for Krystal getting Smashified before Shantae was that I saw a fair few Krystal tweets mingled with the Shantae ones, and I just can't help but expect the Krystal votes to exceed Shantae's just because... ugh... Krystal is first-party and thus more well-known. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though since third-party is kind of Smashified's thing, but the cynical side of me that's used to disappointment isn't holding his breath.

As for the returning vets thing, I wholeheartedly agree with @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker ; we've seen vets, clones and vet clones get enough flak from the playerbase already for being unoriginal, and the ballot is an opportunity for Nintendo to do something new. Mewtwo and Lucas only got away with it because they were announced before the ballot began; if the ballot results are only veterans, then its potential is completely wasted. I love the Ice Climbers and Wolf as much as the next guy - heck, they were my subs in Brawl - but I'd be willing to part with them if it meant some fresh faces.

It's times like these that I wish we knew more about how the ballot worked. Is Nintendo really waiting until October to tally all of the votes? Or are they seeing what characters get lots of votes and accepting them as the ballot goes on? What determines if a highly-desired character will be accepted and if it will be rejected? Does Ninendo have a list of characters they want and we're really just voting for them without knowing?

...Admittedly, that last one is just me being cynical again.
Yeah exactly. Though I have a feeling if the Ice Climbers DID somehow come back thanks to the ballot, due to the <Characters/roster must be the same on both versions> thing... they wouldn't return in the form people probably want them to. It would probably end up being just one of the Ice Climbers (As regardless of DLC or not, those issues with the 3DS version are there regardless).. and to me, that sorta takes away from the character a bit. (And come on. Their gameplay pretty much revolves around TEAMWORK... Splitting them up just wouldn't feel right.)

This ballot is definitely a mystery. Thank GOODNESS we at least got confirmation on all characters being eligible and not just first party..

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Of course all of that said I'd still prefer to see the Half Genie hero personally, that is for sure!... among a few other newcomers ._.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Of course all of that said I'd still prefer to see the Half Genie hero personally, that is for sure!... among a few other newcomers ._.
O_O

A wild Avatar appears!

Warlock*G uses Ignore

It's not very effective...

Warlock*G left the topic!

Veni, Vidi, Visubmittedshantaesname

True latin, I swear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom