• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here is a little something I want to say. Hope you all don't mind.

Pit: Say, who's the belly dancing girl?
Palutena: That is Shantae, Pit. She is a part human, part genie girl who protects the island town known as Scuttle Town.
Pit: A GENIE! I can't believe it! I should ask her to grant me three wishes right now.
Viridi: Oh please, Pit! I don't think she is that much of a wish granter. After all, she is only part genie.
Pit: Darn! There goes any hope I had for a big, tasty sandwich.
Palutena: Anyways, Shantae can use her hair as a whip. When you see her hair moving, be ready to dodge. Also, Shantae can use magic by belly dancing, which can enable her to teleport, heal herself and even turn into other animals, such as a monkey and an elephant.
Pit: Huh? Now I am nervous. I think she may be able to turn me into a frog and stomp on me, after.
Palutena: Don't worry, Pit. I am sure she doesn't have the kind of heart to do that. She is tougher than she looks, so don't underestimate her.
Pit: Okay. I still feel a bit nervous.
Viridi: What's the matter, Pit? Are you scared?
Pit: No, it's just that I don't want to hurt a beautiful young lady like her. It's just not right.
Viridi: You do know you're in a situation where you're supposed to defeat the other person, right?
Pit: Fair enough, I guess.
So, what do you all think?

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Well, that video explaining 10 reasons why you should vote for Shantae has reached around 12,000 views (at the time of this post) so it seems as though she's getting some consistent attention. The only other thing I can think of that would draw even more hype to her is if ArtsyOmni decided to smashify her (and from the looks of it, she has a pretty good chance of being next). Some more fan art could help, too.
I think Etika's video is also helping her get noticed.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Snake: Octacon, there's a half-naked girl here! How is she not freezing to death?! (assuming it's Shadow Moses Island)
Octacon: That's Shantae, the half-genie hero. She comes from a tropical island known as Sequin Land, and is the guardian of Scuttle Town.
Snake: That still doesn't answer my question...
Octacon: Right, well, I can't really answer that, Snake. Anyways, watch out for her huge array of tools! She carries tons of pirate tools and magic, and her physical skills are no laughing matter! Make sure to watch out for her belly-dance transformations, too!
Snake: ...Belly dancing?
Octacon: Yes! She can transform into a speeding monkey, a truck-like elephant, or a high-flying harpy!
Snake: ...Do you think she can grant wishes? I can think of a good one...
Octacon: ...Snake, just focus on the mission.

Last edited:

Potatoharbinger

Smash Rookie
The Shantae hype is honestly so real for me it's hard to contain. It will subside after some trawling of the thread and playing of Pirates Curse (which I wen't back and 100% cleared today), but I fell like I should be doing more. But that leads to the question: WHAT can I do? How can I do it? If I knew more about the ballot, maybe I could do something specific, but I honestly sometimes feel lost for something to do because I just want to help support Shantae but I don't know how. I've spread the word to friends and others I play Smash with at my university, but I want to affect the situation on a much larger scale.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Well, that video explaining 10 reasons why you should vote for Shantae has reached around 12,000 views (at the time of this post) so it seems as though she's getting some consistent attention. The only other thing I can think of that would draw even more hype to her is if ArtsyOmni decided to smashify her (and from the looks of it, she has a pretty good chance of being next). Some more fan art could help, too.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
The Shantae hype is honestly so real for me it's hard to contain. It will subside after some trawling of the thread and playing of Pirates Curse (which I wen't back and 100% cleared today), but I fell like I should be doing more. But that leads to the question: WHAT can I do? How can I do it? If I knew more about the ballot, maybe I could do something specific, but I honestly sometimes feel lost for something to do because I just want to help support Shantae but I don't know how. I've spread the word to friends and others I play Smash with at my university, but I want to affect the situation on a much larger scale.
Just keep your vote and hype for Shantae strong. And if possible, if there's a way to generate more hype (like Smashified), use that to your advantage. And if you produce stuff and have some fans, produce some Shantae stuff. Music, art, fanfics, whatever's good.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Just keep your vote and hype for Shantae strong. And if possible, if there's a way to generate more hype (like Smashified), use that to your advantage. And if you produce stuff and have some fans, produce some Shantae stuff. Music, art, fanfics, whatever's good.
#Shantae4SmashBrosDLC and look what I've found on YouTube:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I don't get why the belly dances themselves do damage, but alright... whoever made this character can do a lot more with her, too.

D

Deleted member

Interview: Choice Provisions on the Nindie Scene, Future Plans and Why CommanderVideo Should Be in Smash Bros.
Choice Provisions said:
We were the ones to approach Nintendo. We've always loved the idea of CommanderVideo showing up in a Smash Bros. game in some capacity, and thanks to our longstanding relationship with Nintendo, we were able to make it happen!

But yes, the "process" here was really just us emailing Nintendo a lot and being annoying.
Hope that'll work for Shanty too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She looks a bit chubby (not that it's bad), and her eye placement feels off to me... otherwise, not bad. The artist just needs to know a thing or two about anatomy.
You know she is a belly dancer right? Agree on the eyes though.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Here's something I wrote in the character discussion thread, because I think it bears holding in mind.

I should point out that of all of the indie characters being thrown around here, Shantae is the only one that originated on a Nintendo console, and has gone on to have multiple games on Nintendo hardware. She might not be available in Japan, but she still has a fanbase there, to the point that Pokémon's art director tweeted him playing Risky's Revenge.

Thrown in Shantae's uniqueness compared to the rest of the smash cast, and if Sakurai ever consider putting in a indie charater, chances are Shantae will stand out to him like a sore thumb.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hm... Had another argument thrown at me a few days ago.

"Her chances are unlikely because she is from a Western Developer"

Care to help me set something up to tackle this one? We don't want this garbage thrown at us in the future -_-. Through that logic the person compared her to SHOVEL KNIGHT... They even went as far to say Shovel Knight's support is equal to, if not greater than Shantae's..

Note: Just to add, the person pulled this page right here: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/320uw3/research_final_destination_a_compilation_of_all/

as evidence on the Shovel Knight has more argument

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Personally I think its the best render we have so far. It obviously isn't perfect, but its very good. I'd really be interested in what Omni could do

Edit: OH! http://smashifiedart.com/ It looks like Smashified has a website now... awesome

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Hm... Had another argument thrown at me a few days ago.

"Her chances are unlikely because she is from a Western Developer"

Care to help me set something up to tackle this one? We don't want this garbage thrown at us in the future -_-. Through that logic the person compared her to SHOVEL KNIGHT... They even went as far to say Shovel Knight's support is equal to, if not greater than Shantae's..

Note: Just to add, the person pulled this page right here: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/320uw3/research_final_destination_a_compilation_of_all/

as evidence on the Shovel Knight has more argument
Little Mac's origins were in the west, albeit way earlier, but Shantae came earlier than Shovel Knight. Whether the support is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community, however, because over in 8chan there's more support for Shantae than Shovel Knight.

And the poll was only taken from areas in reddit. 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards were taken into account (nor any other popular areas).

These arguments are gonna be thrown at us no matter what. Just keep a cool head and provide evidence while disproving the other guy's evidence if possible.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Little Mac's origins were in the west, albeit way earlier, but Shantae came earlier than Shovel Knight. Whether the support is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community, however, because over in 8chan there's more support for Shantae than Shovel Knight.

And the poll was only taken from areas in reddit. 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards were taken into account (nor any other popular areas).

These arguments are gonna be thrown at us no matter what. Just keep a cool head and provide evidence while disproving the other guy's evidence if possible.
Well the more arguments we find, and get a handle on, the better. The ultimate goal is to set up as big of a defence as possible, and cover as many things contractors can throw at us as we can.

On a latter note, I converted a bit of what you said into two new argument deflectors:

"Shantae is a western character/was made by a western dev"

The character Little Mac, despite being created in Japan, is still primarily a western character. Another argument we see thrown is the Shovel Knight argument.. Shantae came earlier than Shovel Knight, has more titles, and is far more dedicated to Nintendo than he is.

"According to <insert unofficial poll/research here>, Shantae's chances are low/She has no chance."

Whether support for a particular character is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community. For example, while there may be more support for Shovel Knight in say, Reddit, in 8chan there is more support for Shantae. Polls and research are subjective. Many of them only take into account a small portion of the Smash community. (For example the Reddit polls take into account areas from reddit, but other areas, like 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards are.) There is no way possible to
get a full take on what the Smash community's take is on any particular character.

Does that sound about right?

They just need to click on it to enlarge it. XD
But that still doesn't chance the fact how comical it looks XD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, when all these arguments get done, feel free to add to them. If you have something that can strengthen a particular argument deflect, I am all for it

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Well the more arguments we find, and get a handle on, the better. The ultimate goal is to set up as big of a defence as possible, and cover as many things contractors can throw at us as we can.

On a latter note, I converted a bit of what you said into two new argument deflectors:

The character Little Mac, despite being created in Japan, is still primarily a western character. Another argument we see thrown is the Shovel Knight argument.. Shantae came earlier than Shovel Knight, has more titles, and is far more dedicated to Nintendo than he is.

"According to <insert unofficial poll/research here>, Shantae's chances are low/She has no chance."

Whether support for a particular character is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community. For example, while there may be more support for Shovel Knight in say, Reddit, in 8chan there is more support for Shantae. Polls and research are subjective. Many of them only take into account a small portion of the Smash community. (For example the Reddit polls take into account areas from reddit, but other areas, like 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards are.) There is no way possible to
get a full take on what the Smash community's take is on any particular character.

Does that sound about right?

But that still doesn't chance the fact how comical it looks XD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, when all these arguments get done, feel free to add to them. If you have something that can strengthen a particular argument deflect, I am all for it

Sounds about right and well educated. If you look earlier in the thread you can see that we have some Japanese fans as well, alongside Ken Sugimori being a fan, so this helps shut down the "lack of Japanese fans" argument.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Sounds about right and well educated. If you look earlier in the thread you can see that we have some Japanese fans as well, alongside Ken Sugimori being a fan, so this helps shut down the "lack of Japanese fans" argument.
Yep. The basic thing is, EVERY contractor has a breaking point. You can only throw so many arguments before you start running out of things to say.

That is when you start to see the "She just won't get in", "Shantae is stupid".. those sort of things. When you reach an unfounded one liner, or just garbage in general, you know you have their hands tied. ^_^

They'll also try to pull the old "its pointless to argue" trick. That counts as well

As a side note, in case there is any that missed it, or would like to see the current version of the wall.. here it is:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is too obscure"

This "obscurity" so many contractors bring up is very unjustified.. Her obscurity in the industry can primarily be singled out to just bad luck. Her first game, "Shantae" (2002), was for the gameboy color... As you might notice by the year, this was near the end of the handhelds life. This caused Shantae to see a limited release.. A shame for such a good game (and later for such a good series). The poor girl unfortunately wouldn't see a sequel for eight years because of all this.. Risky's Revenge, in 2010. Many other Shantae fans will agree with me she deserves much more exposure in the industry, and will agree they are happy they stumbled upon the series.

"Shantae is an indie character! Theres no way she could get in!"

This may be so by today's standards, but she hardly feels indie when you look at her games...

Shantae = Gameboy Color 2002
Shantae: Risky's Revenge = DSiWare (Also had ports for iOS and Steam later, but still..) 2010
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse = Wii U AND 3DS 2014
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero = Wii U (Still in development)

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully loyal for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

To add to this, look at the characters like Ness, the Fire Emblem Characters, and Ice Climbers.

Ness was from a game with a cult classic, not too different from Shantae, that deserved much more exposure than it did. The difference? The fact Ness was present in the first game, and being in the original twelve, his series has always been prominent throughout the Smash series... and my, look at the good it has done. Earthbound was able to get that recognition it deserved. From seeing Ness (and later Lucas) in the series, many grew curious about it, and either got the game, or did research.. Thanks to Smash bros, many have gotten to experience the humorous cult classic that is Earthbound.

To go even further, look at the Fire Emblem series. As you know, Marth and Roy had their starts in Melee.... but that wasn't always going to be the case. Sakurai was initially afraid of releasing the two characters outside of japan to the western base. As you see, the Fire Emblem series was still Japan only at the time, and he was afraid it would alienate the Western base. Luckily, Sakurai decided to put them in anyway.... and what a great decision it was. It sparked interest in the series, and the two characters started to obtain a fan following in the west... prompting the release of the Fire Emblem series internationally, and making it the big series it is today. The same thing could happen for Shantae actually. Her games aren't present in Japan.. So, her inclusion in Smash could very well have the same effect for her that it did for Fire Emblem

As one last argument against "obscurity", look at many of the classic characters that have made it into the game. Pit, G & W, and Ice Climbers to name a few. Pit had only had to classic games under his belt... and had disappeared from the industry for years. After his comeback in brawl however, he finally saw a new title, and thus, his fanbase grew immensely. The younger generations probably wouldn't even know what a Game and Watch is.. if it hadn't have been for Mr. Game and Watch showing up in Smash. The ice climbers were even MORE obscure. I doubt all that many even knew who these guys were. (Heck, not even I knew who they were until I played Melee). So, Obscurity isn't an argument here, when it comes to newcomers.

"Shantae is an indie/3rd Party character! They would have to jump through too many hoops, and deal with too much licensing issues to get her in."

Thats not valid any longer. Wayforward, the company that produces the Shantae games, is ALL FOR her presence in smash. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1187315

Seems like it wouldn't be an issue to me... they even made possible alternate costumes she could use.

"What would she do? She hardly seems like she would bring much to the game."

Hardly true. Her games provide her with many options for a unique and effective moveset. From her transformation abilities, to the Pirate gear she had access to in Pirate's Curse.. She even has access to magic.

"When do you hear people talking about wanting Shantae be in the game before the Fighter Ballot was announced."

Same thing could be said for a lot of characters... The support and desire for these characters has always been there.. the ballot just caused it to boil to the surface.

"Shantae doesn't have any releases in Japan!"

Look back to the Melee Fire Emblem case, and just picture that in reverse.

Also, there are Shantae Japanese fans who know of her games, and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in Japan, so, if Shantae made it into the game, Just like what happened with Fire Emblem, she would have a high chance to be localized in Japan.

Here is one fan for example: https://twitter.com/hounori

Whether support for a particular character is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community. For example, while there may be more support for Shovel Knight in say, Reddit, in 8chan there is more support for Shantae. Polls and research are subjective. Many of them only take into account a small portion of the Smash community. (For example the Reddit polls take into account areas from reddit, but other areas, like 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards are.) There is no way possible to get a full take on what the Smash community's take is on any particular character

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, that's 8 deflections. I feel there may be some still untouched, and a few in here that could still use more backup as well.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Yep. The basic thing is, EVERY contractor has a breaking point. You can only throw so many arguments before you start running out of things to say.

That is when you start to see the "She just won't get in", "Shantae is stupid".. those sort of things. When you reach an unfounded one liner, or just garbage in general, you know you have their hands tied. ^_^

They'll also try to pull the old "its pointless to argue" trick. That counts as well

As a side note, in case there is any that missed it, or would like to see the current version of the wall.. here it is:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is too obscure"

This "obscurity" so many contractors bring up is very unjustified.. Her obscurity in the industry can primarily be singled out to just bad luck. Her first game, "Shantae" (2002), was for the gameboy color... As you might notice by the year, this was near the end of the handhelds life. This caused Shantae to see a limited release.. A shame for such a good game (and later for such a good series). The poor girl unfortunately wouldn't see a sequel for eight years because of all this.. Risky's Revenge, in 2010. Many other Shantae fans will agree with me she deserves much more exposure in the industry, and will agree they are happy they stumbled upon the series.

"Shantae is an indie character! Theres no way she could get in!"

This may be so by today's standards, but she hardly feels indie when you look at her games...

Shantae = Gameboy Color 2002
Shantae: Risky's Revenge = DSiWare (Also had ports for iOS and Steam later, but still..) 2010
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse = Wii U AND 3DS 2014
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero = Wii U (Still in development)

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully loyal for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

To add to this, look at the characters like Ness, the Fire Emblem Characters, and Ice Climbers.

Ness was from a game with a cult classic, not too different from Shantae, that deserved much more exposure than it did. The difference? The fact Ness was present in the first game, and being in the original twelve, his series has always been prominent throughout the Smash series... and my, look at the good it has done. Earthbound was able to get that recognition it deserved. From seeing Ness (and later Lucas) in the series, many grew curious about it, and either got the game, or did research.. Thanks to Smash bros, many have gotten to experience the humorous cult classic that is Earthbound.

To go even further, look at the Fire Emblem series. As you know, Marth and Roy had their starts in Melee.... but that wasn't always going to be the case. Sakurai was initially afraid of releasing the two characters outside of japan to the western base. As you see, the Fire Emblem series was still Japan only at the time, and he was afraid it would alienate the Western base. Luckily, Sakurai decided to put them in anyway.... and what a great decision it was. It sparked interest in the series, and the two characters started to obtain a fan following in the west... prompting the release of the Fire Emblem series internationally, and making it the big series it is today. The same thing could happen for Shantae actually. Her games aren't present in Japan.. So, her inclusion in Smash could very well have the same effect for her that it did for Fire Emblem

As one last argument against "obscurity", look at many of the classic characters that have made it into the game. Pit, G & W, and Ice Climbers to name a few. Pit had only had to classic games under his belt... and had disappeared from the industry for years. After his comeback in brawl however, he finally saw a new title, and thus, his fanbase grew immensely. The younger generations probably wouldn't even know what a Game and Watch is.. if it hadn't have been for Mr. Game and Watch showing up in Smash. The ice climbers were even MORE obscure. I doubt all that many even knew who these guys were. (Heck, not even I knew who they were until I played Melee). So, Obscurity isn't an argument here, when it comes to newcomers.

"Shantae is an indie/3rd Party character! They would have to jump through too many hoops, and deal with too much licensing issues to get her in."

Thats not valid any longer. Wayforward, the company that produces the Shantae games, is ALL FOR her presence in smash. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1187315

Seems like it wouldn't be an issue to me... they even made possible alternate costumes she could use.

"What would she do? She hardly seems like she would bring much to the game."

Hardly true. Her games provide her with many options for a unique and effective moveset. From her transformation abilities, to the Pirate gear she had access to in Pirate's Curse.. She even has access to magic.

"When do you hear people talking about wanting Shantae be in the game before the Fighter Ballot was announced."

Same thing could be said for a lot of characters... The support and desire for these characters has always been there.. the ballot just caused it to boil to the surface.

"Shantae doesn't have any releases in Japan!"

Look back to the Melee Fire Emblem case, and just picture that in reverse.

Also, there are Shantae Japanese fans who know of her games, and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in Japan, so, if Shantae made it into the game, Just like what happened with Fire Emblem, she would have a high chance to be localized in Japan.

Here is one fan for example: https://twitter.com/hounori

Whether support for a particular character is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community. For example, while there may be more support for Shovel Knight in say, Reddit, in 8chan there is more support for Shantae. Polls and research are subjective. Many of them only take into account a small portion of the Smash community. (For example the Reddit polls take into account areas from reddit, but other areas, like 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards are.) There is no way possible to get a full take on what the Smash community's take is on any particular character

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, that's 8 deflections. I feel there may be some still untouched, and a few in here that could still use more backup as well.
You're doing good so far, but make sure to capitalize on the fact that Sugimori's a fan. Also, in that twitter, make sure to link to the post(s) made about Shantae, and explain the fan's relevance (beyond being a Japanese fan, assuming that twitter ain't Suigmori's) if possible.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
You're doing good so far, but make sure to capitalize on the fact that Sugimori's a fan. Also, in that twitter, make sure to link to the post(s) made about Shantae, and explain the fan's relevance (beyond being a Japanese fan, assuming that twitter ain't Suigmori's) if possible.
Right.

Since that twitter in the wall right now is in japanese I would appreciate it if anyone could find and translate particular tweets referring to such things into english, and provide links, if they have the freetime.

Any one can add to this, and build it up. Just copy the section you want to add to, and tag me. If it adds to the wall, i'll build it in! ^_^

Top Bottom