• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of parents, am I the only one who hates how Mimic and Risky point out that they knew who Shantae's mother was, but refuse to tell Shantae, the daughter, anything about her?!

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Speaking of parents, am I the only one who hates how Mimic and Risky point out that they knew who Shantae's mother was, but refuse to tell Shantae, the daughter, anything about her?!
Its possible that Shantae's mother didn't want Mimic to tell Shantae about her. Maybe Shantae's mother wanted her daughter to make her own decisions and become her own person, not just try to do everything her mother does. Yes, Shantae is becoming to be just like her mom but she did it on her own. She didn't have a guide. And maybe I'm just spewing nonsense lol! But that's just my two bits.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Its possible that Shantae's mother didn't want Mimic to tell Shantae about her. Maybe Shantae's mother wanted her daughter to make her own decisions and become her own person, not just try to do everything her mother does. Yes, Shantae is becoming to be just like her mom but she did it on her own. She didn't have a guide. And maybe I'm just spewing nonsense lol! But that's just my two bits.
But she should at least be told something. I don't think Shantae can even visualize what her mother looks like through a description, or even know her name. Okay, maybe Risky's "You're just like your mother, only shorter and more annoying" line means something.

Hopefully Half-Genie Hero will tell us more.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Shantae's normal outfit is arguably family-friendly enough (as mentioned, taking a few Disney princesses into account), but I have to wonder if her alternative look, the blue dancer costume for RR's Magic Mode would be too suggestive to use. It'd be a perfect idea for an alt, but in Nintendo's eyes it might be too far of a jump up from ZSS's stock outfit versus her bonus ending suits. What does everyone else here think?

But she should at least be told something. I don't think Shantae can even visualize what her mother looks like through a description, or even know her name.

Hopefully Half-Genie Hero will tell us something.
Judging from the game's story description we have so far and even the title, I'd be really surprised if there wasn't any meaningful story progression for Shantae's character as a genie.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae's normal outfit is arguably family-friendly enough (as mentioned, taking a few Disney princesses into account), but I have to wonder if her alternative look, the blue dancer costume for RR's Magic Mode would be too suggestive to use. It'd be a perfect idea for an alt, but in Nintendo's eyes it might be too far of a jump up from ZSS's stock outfit versus her bonus ending suits. What does everyone else here think?

Judging from the game's story description we have so far and even the title, I'd be really surprised if there wasn't any meaningful story progression for Shantae's character as a genie.
The dancer/princess/magic/make a freaking decision outfit from Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse is a bit much. I'm not a huge fan of it, either. It's not as charming or memorable as her normal attire.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah, I wasn't expecting Nintendo to use that at all, as for possible alt. costumes (not palette swaps) I can see for her in Smash, I'd like to see the Pirate costume in first, other ideas I could see are her pajamas from the beginning of Pirate's Curse (though with her hair in a ponytail considering she would use it for attacks), as well as Patricia Wagon's outfit (Mighty Switch Force) and the Ninja costume from Half Genie Hero,

(I've actually worked on my own ideas for palette swaps/alt. costumes, I'll try and post them on here when I get the chance)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yeah, I wasn't expecting Nintendo to use that at all, as for possible alt. costumes (not palette swaps) I can see for her in Smash, I'd like to see the Pirate costume in first, other ideas I could see are her pajamas from the beginning of Pirate's Curse (though with her hair in a ponytail considering she would use it for attacks), as well as Patricia Wagon's outfit (Mighty Switch Force) and the Ninja costume from Half Genie Hero,

(I've actually worked on my own ideas for palette swaps/alt. costumes, I'll try and post them on here when I get the chance)
>Ninja Costume

YES

I love that alt. costume, it's too adorable.

And reminds me of Ibuki from Street Fighter.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

A bit of a fun fact; In Wayforward's 8 Costume reference that they made for Shantae if she were in Smash, the Magic Mode (or basically the blue dancer costume) is not one of the 8 outfits present, which to me, was a smart move on Wayforward's part to help her chances, as Nintendo would probably see that dancer costume as crossing the line in terms of suggestiveness. I'd bet that Wayforward left it out on purpose anyway.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
But she should at least be told something. I don't think Shantae can even visualize what her mother looks like through a description, or even know her name. Okay, maybe Risky's "You're just like your mother, only shorter and more annoying" line means something.

Hopefully Half-Genie Hero will tell us more.
I understand what you're saying but Mimic did tell her that she is becoming more like her in important ways at the end of PC. So yeah, my point still stands. But.... gonna have to wait on HGH.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
A bit of a fun fact; In Wayforward's 8 Costume reference that they made for Shantae if she were in Smash, the Magic Mode (or basically the blue dancer costume) is not one of the 8 outfits present, which to me, was a smart move on Wayforward's part to help her chances, as Nintendo would probably see that dancer costume as crossing the line in terms of suggestiveness. I'd bet that Wayforward left it out on purpose anyway.
However, that costume reference they made does have a bit of a Pac-Man problem with the last 3 alts, where they all may look the same onscreen.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Can't believe I figured it out but, here are my ideas for Shantae's palette swaps in Smash:

And here's a bonus sheet where I listed the palettes that I was deciding from to make the one above, (the last one is a joke BTW)

(Took off the spoiler toggle so they can be seen easier without full-screening)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Can't believe I figured it out but, here are my ideas for Shantae's palette swaps in Smash:

And here's a bonus sheet where I listed the palettes that I was deciding from to make the one above, (the last one is a joke BTW)
(psst, I don't get the joke for the last one)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

(sorry if the file might be too big for the screen)
I see that Shahra color scheme. That would actually be pretty cool.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Wasn't really expecting Shantae to be added to Crusade...at least, not so soon, if at all... But hey, that's pretty cool to have for the game at the very least.

Although I gotta say, because of people's replies, I thought it said "Shantae is a newcomer to Super Smash Bros" ...So I thought it was the official game reveal. xD

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
All these character mods in Brawl and nobody makes a legitimate Shantae.

But someone made a Mickey Mouse

why

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well this is great. More exposure for Shantae equals more of a chance people will vote for her!

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I recall enjoying Crusade quite abit, so its great to see Shantae included. Now she can fight Goku.

Anyway, most have probably seen this, but Shantae is ret-2-go for tomorrows RTC!
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...c-edition-day-124-amaterasu-and-daisy.398604/

Also, as someone who follows everything WayForward related on Twitter, why did I just hear about RR Directors Cut hitting the 3DS now? :crazy:
It was announced by Nintendo back in March, but we're waiting for a release date right now its planned for Q3 2015.
http://nintendoeverything.com/upcom...ad-and-shantae-riskys-revenge-for-wii-u-more/

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Reminder:

The submissions for the Half-Genie Hero backer surverys close tomorrow. Get to it if you haven't.
Thank you. I almost forgot to change my copy to a PAL Wii U.

BTW, Sourcegaming had wrote an article about Shantae in Smash. I would link it here but I'm unable to do it right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom