• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Been a while since I did one of these, so I figured, hey, why not?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/15/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-shantae/
Hit the nail right on the head. However, Ken Sugimori also knows Shantae, and Nishizawa-san (The creator of the Monster World franchise) also know Shantae. There is also a decent number of Japanese fans voting for her.

Speaking of Japan, the Sonic series actually sells worst there, with embarassingly low numbers. Knowing Sakurai's bias with Japan-only characters, you should keep that in mind by comparing the japanese sales of the franchises.

(With the tweet from Ko, it's clear that Japan somewhat loves the half-genie cutie~)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hit the nail right on the head. However, Ken Sugimori also knows Shantae, and Nishizawa-san (The creator of the Monster World franchise) also know Shantae. There is also a decent number of Japanese fans voting for her.
You guys should really update the opening post. I usually go to the support threads to double check if I missed anything before posting a "Case 4" article, but there really wasn't much to see in this one.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Been a while since I did one of these, so I figured, hey, why not?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/15/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-shantae/
I also want to let you know that there is a demand for Shantae to come to Japan, which so happens that the company intergrow is in the process of localizing Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut on 3DS (Confirmed) and possibly Wii U since I've been thinking that we're gonna be getting a release of the Director's Cut version for 3DS & Wii U here in the states so japan might get the Wii U version as well and the planned release as of now is Q3 2015 so I'm thinking there planning a worldwide release together, but as of right now it's speclation.

Also we can't update our thread because the thread owner is hardly on Smashboards nowadays.

Oh, and pretty good article by the way.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So there's clearly a demand.

I think Shantae may end up like Crash Bandicoot back in the PS1 days, a rare case where a western franchise became popular in Japan. Heck, his signature Gem dance and Fake Crash originated from his popularity there.

Shantae does have the qualities that appeal to a Japanese gaming audience, a cute appearence, a fun, likeable personality, and unique traits, such as her being a dancer.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I also want to let you know that there is a demand for Shantae to come to Japan, which so happens that the company intergrow is in the process of localizing Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut on 3DS (Confirmed) and possibly Wii U since I've been thinking that we're gonna be getting a re-release of Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut for 3DS & Wii U as well so japan might get the Wii U version as well and the planned release as of now is Q3 2015 so I'm thinking there planning a worldwide release together, but as of right now it's speclation.

Also we can't update our thread because the thread owner is hardly on Smashboards nowadays.

Oh, and pretty good article by the way.
Yeah, I'm aware of intergrow, but I like to keep the Case 4 articles short (they're all between 700-800 words) so I didn't really go into detail. I'd love to see sales numbers, but they are pretty impossible to come by for digital games unless the company that makes the game releases them. Also, glad you enjoyed the article!

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm aware of intergrow, but I like to keep the Case 4 articles short (they're all between 700-800 words) so I didn't really go into detail. I'd love to see sales numbers, but they are pretty impossible to come by for digital games unless the company that makes the game releases them. Also, glad you enjoyed the article!
If you need a(n ambiguous) yardstick, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse has been a consistent Best Seller on the Nintendo eShop. That might've been worth mentioning at least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, I've had trouble finding sales numbers for the Shantae games in the past.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
You guys should visit the Smash Gamefaqs board. It's getting crazier and worse by the day...

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
You guys should visit the Smash Gamefaqs board. It's getting crazier and worse by the day...
I know the ignorance there is rediculous. I'm always calling those people s*** posters cause they make a post purposely attacking something. They always get mad lol. IDC that you're mad cause I'm telling you about yourself so...? Lol

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I know the ignorance there is rediculous. I'm always calling those people s*** posters cause they make a post purposely attacking something. They always get mad lol. IDC that you're mad cause I'm telling you about yourself so...? Lol
Yeah... they've been all over the place lately. A month after DLC has been announced hopefully the internet will calm down. I like the smash fan base occasionally but it gets to a point were you have to remember it's just a game.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
The funny thing is that the more they rant about characters, the more publicity they get. Depending on the newcomer, they'd hopefully look at all the hate and go "Huh? Who's Shantae?", then look her up and know more about her.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The funny thing is that the more they rant about characters, the more publicity they get. Depending on the newcomer, they'd hopefully look at all the hate and go "Huh? Who's Shantae?", then look her up and know more about her.
You'd think that in these times, where either your game stars or puts the spotlight on a strong female or your company is the embodiment of Satan, you would think people would support the strong, independent, dark-skinned female protagonist to be in Smash... Especially considering how Nintendo is trying to promote diversity by putting the spotlight on the female inklings in Splatoon and allowing homosexual relationships in FE Fates.

But no, let's put in a princess that can barely speak 3 words.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
You'd think that in these times, where either your game stars or puts the spotlight on a strong female or your company is the embodiment of Satan, you would think people would support the strong, independent, dark-skinned female protagonist to be in Smash... Especially considering how Nintendo is trying to promote diversity by putting the spotlight on the female inklings in Splatoon and allowing homosexual relationships in FE Fates.

But no, let's put in a princess that can barely speak 3 words.
But you have to remember, she's "too sexy" and "obscure". :^)

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta is too sexy. Isaac is too obscure. Don't hear nothing from them though. Honestly, it's like... every argument they use against Shantae... the same could be said for another popular character that fits WAY better for them. But whatever, I don't care anymore. Hopefully Sakurai sees the potential in her.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>Booty Shorts Samus
>Underpants Shulk
>Pole Dancing Palutena

>Nobody cared about Earthbound/Mother, Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, or Kid Icarus until Smash

Those arguments can easily be countered, internet.

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
The Facebook group for Smash Bros is asking people who they've been voting for make sure to mention Shantae.
https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/posts/468466326660386
The butthurt there is unreal.

"this is a scam, you vote for fighters, and what you get is ******** mii costumes"

"Does it matter? You'll just make them a Mii Fighter costume like you did with King K Rool"

I'm starting to wonder what hope I have for Gamers in the future...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I was planning to vote for Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) or Roll (Mega Man) before I settled on Shantae.

I'm also rooting for Namco's Valkyrie, K.Rool...

BD Joe from Crazy Taxi...

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

On a side note, yes I do think the argument that Shantae is too revealing doesn't hold up, considering everything that's already in Smash listed above, the fact that the Shantae games are E-10, and that she wears just as much as Jasmine from Aladdin (a G rated movie). I don't even think I need to go into the obscurity argument as well.

But yeah let's keep the party van moving!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

On a side note, yes I do think the argument that Shantae is too revealing doesn't hold up, considering everything that's already in Smash listed above, the fact that the Shantae games are E-10, and that she wears just as much as Jasmine from Aladdin (a G rated movie). I don't even think I need to go into the obscurity argument as well.

But yeah let's keep the party van moving!
At least Shantae has the decency to wear pants, Samus.

And doesn't have a nervous break down when she's about to fight something like Ridley don't kill me

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
At least Shantae has the decency to wear pants, Samus.

And doesn't have a nervous break down when she's about to fight something like Ridley don't kill me
Eh…can't really speak for the first point (not sure if regular pants would be conducive to operating a suit like that), but that last one was only Other M's fault, I would've been fine with that moment if they properly built up to it, it's understandable that she'd react something similar to seeing the thing that killed her parents keep coming back, especially with the stress she'd likely be having involving the situation with Adam and the baby Metroid's sacrifice, but Other M's incompetent writing just threw it out of the blue and it feels really out of place.

Top Bottom