• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
GGS! It was very nice to play some experienced ganon mains. Would love to play again sometime :D

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
GGS! It was very nice to play some experienced ganon mains. Would love to play again sometime :D
Sorry I had to head off, everyone uses the U a lot here lol.

Yeah really GGs, you're the only other aggressive dorf I've played, and it felt like playing me lol. I liked your use of Usmash and dthrow combos, lots of good stuff.

Lozjam, I greatly enjoyed your choke mind games, in part due to needing to learn the tech lol. That fair kill you got on me when I fast falled jmy own was crazy.

I would love to play you both again though, made sure to keep it ud three so we could do the dorftation.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Lozjam definitely knows side b and also taught me some ways to incorporate choke into my game, like when to go for ganoncide.

And Opana, your wizkick cancels were on point as well as your fair landing mixups. I think you did a fullhop fair into wizkick cancel for a nice gimp.

I used to main olimar and metaknight and although I still use them, I feel ganondorf fits my playstyle more in this version.
He has very different options than what I am used to. I think I am making the transition decently on my own but watching
other ganon mains helps me learn so much more.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sorry I had to head off, everyone uses the U a lot here lol.

Yeah really GGs, you're the only other aggressive dorf I've played, and it felt like playing me lol. I liked your use of Usmash and dthrow combos, lots of good stuff.

Lozjam, I greatly enjoyed your choke mind games, in part due to needing to learn the tech lol. That fair kill you got on me when I fast falled jmy own was crazy.

I would love to play you both again though, made sure to keep it ud three so we could do the dorftation.
I really enjoyed both of your aggressive combos there. They really put me into awkward positions. And I can really make people pay! I feel like if we combined my Passive Ganondorf with a ton of mind/chokegames, with your guys' combo heavy Ganondorf, we would have like the best character ever. Let's continue training to learn each other's playstyles so we can achieve perfection, like our Lord!

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Alright, I'm going to make us a ganon skype. People add me on skype and I'll invite you in.

Skype name: golden-psyco

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah ever since Z1GMA discovered you can buffer a special out of FH Fair's landing lag I've been using it a lot. I've recently gotten down Fair->Wizkick, and with a wizkick cancel that could potentially lead into another Fair which is awesome.

I've been working on my cancels and usmashing more after my critique, so I'm flad you noticed the cancels lol.

Yeah I always wanted to mix two players and see the resulting monster in action.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Another good benefit about the new edge mechanic is the opportunity it gives you to mess with people hanging around the ledge. Holding down on the control stick while recovering allows you to purposely not grab the ledge, and as Ganon, you will grab the opponent, or punish them with his uppercut. This can be really helpful, and you should make your opponents fear this. At high level matches this can scare the opponent into thinking twice before trying to plot something while Ganon is offstage. This also makes the normal Dark Dive custom usable (not completely unusable, as how Wizard Assault has become). In team games, you can help your partner out with this while recovering, time your uppercut and grab hitboxes at precisely the right moment.

Here are a few examples of what I mean: 1, 2, 3.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Another good benefit about the new edge mechanic is the opportunity it gives you to mess with people hanging around the ledge. Holding down on the control stick while recovering allows you to purposely not grab the ledge, and as Ganon, you will grab the opponent, or punish them with his uppercut. This can be really helpful, and you should make your opponents fear this. At high level matches this can scare the opponent into thinking twice before trying to plot something while Ganon is offstage. This also makes the normal Dark Dive custom usable (not completely unusable, as how Wizard Assault has become). In team games, you can help your partner out with this while recovering, time your uppercut and grab hitboxes at precisely the right moment.

Here are a few examples of what I mean: 1, 2, 3.
I actually did this and can say due to the surprise factor I can often pull off a ledge drop bair, and in some instances an uair as well.

On the subject of ledges, if they usually jump to avoid the bair, ledge hop bair usually hits them,

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Holding down on the control stick while recovering allows you to purposely not grab the ledge
this is such an amazing tactic with the dark fists custom. particularly good if you grab the ledge, drop, and go to regrab the ledge as if you were refreshing invincibility in brawl/melee. Typically, players will charge a smash or stand on the ledge to be ready to punish your 'error'....This is when you kill them at 60% with the fists

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hey guys. So last week, I was invited to a Smash 4 party for Wii U. It was mostly an 8 player brawl (A lot of people playing were of the casual level except for a few). I won a couple of 8 player FFAs with Ganon as items/8 player madness made it difficult to win. Eventually the organizer of the event decided to have a small tourney. I won the tourney (earning a 15 gift card to Gamestop and praise). After I won, I was to face the organizer as he was the best player known by the people there. He went Mega Man and spiked me once (I had forgot that he had a spike) and taunted afterwards. I was like "It's time to unleash the beast". I took two stocks and on his last one, something awesome happened. He was grabbing the ledge and I went for a wizkick cancel. I wanted to bait him to jump back on stage from grabbing the ledge so that I jump back after the wizkick cancel and fair him. What ended up happening after the wizkick cancel was I ended up footstooling him. I immediately noticed it and fast fell and bair him. He hit the underneath of FD and died. A huge pop from the people watching happened and Ganon was the supreme victor. In the energy coming from everyone, I wanted to get up and F5 everyone.

TLDR: Went to a Sm4sh U party and murdered everyone with the Dark Lord.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
A huge pop from the people watching happened and Ganon was the supreme victor. In the energy coming from everyone, I wanted to get up and F5 everyone.
I keep forgetting you're a wrestling dude. Should have just F5'd a shark instead.

Congrats on the victory

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I keep forgetting you're a wrestling dude. Should have just F5'd a shark instead.

Congrats on the victory
I live in a desert area so sadly there's no sharks here to F5. Guess I'll never be like Bork.

And thanks!

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
not completely unusable, as how Wizard Assault has become
I hate the move, I really do, but in 2on2s, it actually has some decent usage in the form of support.

Support Dorf can travel far off stage to rescue his teamate, since the kick sends them in that "stupid direction", and then make it back himself as well.

It can also can set up nasty combos for Ganon's Teamate in situations like these:

_T__G_____O____O

_T____G_____O__

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Congrats on the victory, man! Sounds remarkably similar to a WiiU party I was at last week, except I was Dark Link and didn't get a gift card... just free cookies.

Z Tier!
if you happened to get milk with those cookies, then that sounds like a total win.

After I saw that, I was thinking of something like a spinoff. It would have a specialized map like Dualist did in Brawl (This map would be a box except for small openings on the sides). It would be a 3 v 3 with the 7th player being the "ball". You have a striker, defender, and goalie. The strikers would start the match like in that vine. Strikers would be limited on the ground. If the "ball" didn't make it in the "goal" at a certain percentage, the defenders can get in the game. They would be limited to aerials. If the "ball" didn't reach the goal and was at say 120%, the goalies can get involved. The goalies have no limits.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Happy Thanksgiving Ganons in the USA :estatic:
Yes! Let us marvel at the destruction and death of the civilization of Native Americans and the rise of a war hungry empire that spans from two seas with feasts fit for kings! Best time to be a Ganondorf main if you ask me:4ganondorf:.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
if you happened to get milk with those cookies, then that sounds like a total win.
No milk, unfortunately. They were damn good cookies, though. Fresh apple cider cookies with a slab of caramel in the center of each one! Probably shouldn't mention that they were free for everyone that came and that I just ate more than everyone else because I felt entitled, having one the tourney.

Ganonball looks really fun but I don't know enough Ganons to actually get a game going; I only know 3 counting myself. Also, question: would the ball get to fight back or move at all?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think tonight I'm going to upload my shortest online match historically. Of COURSE it was with Ganon. You guys might get a good chuckle out of it in the video thread.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No milk, unfortunately. They were damn good cookies, though. Fresh apple cider cookies with a slab of caramel in the center of each one! Probably shouldn't mention that they were free for everyone that came and that I just ate more than everyone else because I felt entitled, having one the tourney.

Ganonball looks really fun but I don't know enough Ganons to actually get a game going; I only know 3 counting myself. Also, question: would the ball get to fight back or move at all?
I was thinking up rules in my head. Here's things I'd personally argue for.

The ball:
Not allowed to use any A button moves
May shield and dodge
May use Up-B to recover (default)
Tries to move to center stage
May DI hits in any direction preferred (largely because this can't be enforced)

All in all, the ball is meant to be an active participant in this game whose goal is to survive and minimize the number of times he/she is KOed. Otherwise this wouldn't be a legitimate 7 player game.

The much harder part is actually tracking score for teams, when we possibly have to account for SDs and deciding a policy on foul hits on opposing teams. Or alternatively getting someone to record score by hand in a custom cage battle.

This type of game I would strongly encourage No Friendly Fire.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Welcome! Join us in the subjugation of all other smash characters.

@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG That all sounds reasonable. I don't really think one could pull this off without having someone keeping score by hand. Video recording the match would definitely help in review of scores and documentation for future generations.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I'm here to join the cause.
Welcome! I guess we have a new person! Join us, learn from us and on your own, and Ganondorf will soon achieve his dream of taking over the world!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah happy Thanksgiving people.

So, does using Villager with dorf help with any rough ganon mus?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I would say "yes" for his projectile management and spacing/zoning tools alone, but I don't know much about the character beyond that. Have you peeked over at the Villager boards for some advice/subterfuge?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hmmmmm I think so.... Personally, I use Link and Shulk as my secondaries... But I also am trying to be competitively competent at every character since Ganondorf requires you to know the matchup.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Didn't see much I didn't know tbh.

My biggest issue was getting gimped, and with a more flexible recovery I feel much better lol. Still maining dorf, but need to pick up a character or two, he seems like he can play keep away well enough to differ the playstyles.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Didn't see much I didn't know tbh.

My biggest issue was getting gimped, and with a more flexible recovery I feel much better lol. Still maining dorf, but need to pick up a character or two, he seems like he can play keep away well enough to differ the playstyles.
Learn to punish with flame choke. Remember how I made you scared to go after me and gimp me? If you do the same, then Gimping will not be as big of a problem

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It is a problem as I can be WoPed or flagged or something with minimal effort. They'll often wise up and make me sd without them, so I don't rely on that often unless they're grounded or I need to reset desperately.

Top Bottom