• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey guys, I started using Ganon and after winning pretty solidly against my brother's characters (Little Mac, Toon Link, Zelda, Robin) until he started using Sheik.

Could be that my bother is bad, and I'm just better but I'm starting to think Ganon is pretty good, maybe his peak would be mid tier?

Anyways I was just wondering what you guys think Ganon's potential peak is in the tier list? Who would he be above?
Smack dab in the middle. Solid mid tier in my eyes; Very much viable, but needs a secondary.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I hate Twitch TV. Like last time, the Time Zones made me miss @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm 's matches, and it's impossible to find them.
Drives me mad.

I believe Ganondorf actually benefits a lot from shield stun mechanics in this game.
Not to mention clashing.
I don't know how many times I've clashed with Sword Users only to get a Frame Advantage.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ganondorf benefits quite greatly from most of the defensive options in this game IMO. He can still punish rolls even as good as they are here, and he has access to them himself. Low shieldstun means perfect aerial spacing is a requirement and even then Ganon can just Nair OoS and bop a lot of things so long as they're not Multihit or safe I imagine, but maybe not (just theory). Regardless low shieldstun lets him roll, grab, do a lot of things way sooner than usual.

For a character that's about offensive punishes (in this he has to go in and defend/punish and capitalize) better defensive mechanics lays the groundwork for a systematically stronger Ganondorf.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I got my hands on the Wii U version over the weekend. I have to say Smash in HD is a sight to behold. I also got around to trying a few things. Here are my initial impressions.

- C-stick behavior needs hotfixing. Holding the C-stick charges smash attacks and disables movement inputs while held...

- Fsmash is no longer any different facing forwards or backwards. In Brawl a backwards Fsmash took a step forward instead of back, extending the range. I miss this almost as much as thunderstorming :(

- Usmash is too good. It's like -11 on block and pushes them so far it's like always safe unless they powershield

- Blastzones seem smaller on the Wii U version for w/e reason. I tested it briefly and some levels like FD have smaller blastzones...

- The online is pretty good. Played a few random For Fun matches and didn't notice any real lag in around half the games. I didn't have high hopes for this, but I was impressed.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Stutter Fsmash is still there, it just requires a different input method (I talked about this in the ATS thread). Usmash is good, and smaller blastzones are one of the many things that make Ganon better on the Wii U.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Stutter Fsmash is still there, it just requires a different input method (I talked about this in the ATS thread). Usmash is good, and smaller blastzones are one of the many things that make Ganon better on the Wii U.
Hmm I just checked the thread and am going to assume you mean the post talking about Smashville and Fmashing your way to the opposite side (which sounds like Stutter-step Fsmash).

Stutter-step Fsmashing is just doing an Fsmash in the inital frames of your dash, allowing you to move a little bit before Fsmashing.

What I was talking about was the back step animation of the Fsmash itself. You can no longer control the direction of the Fsmash's back step by facing backwards/forwards. Before if you faced left and Fsmashed right, the Fsmash's back step would move you right instead of left. Now the back step of the Fsmash is always the opposite of the direction you Fsmash, giving you the same range backwards/forwards.

I may have been a little too brief in my earlier explanation. Hopefully this is more clear.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
One cool trick I learned today, though:
Easy retreating dash into turn around Fsmash.

Dash away, flick the Control Stick in the opposite direction followed by the Cstick in the same direction right after.

It's just like when you get a Pivot Fsmash by mistake when you want a Pivot Ftilt, only that this makes it super easy to Fsmash every time.

Simply put, it's like Pivot Ftilting but with the Cstick instead of the Attack Button.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Hmm I just checked the thread and am going to assume you mean the post talking about Smashville and Fmashing your way to the opposite side (which sounds like Stutter-step Fsmash).

Stutter-step Fsmashing is just doing an Fsmash in the inital frames of your dash, allowing you to move a little bit before Fsmashing.

What I was talking about was the back step animation of the Fsmash itself. You can no longer control the direction of the Fsmash's back step by facing backwards/forwards. Before if you faced left and Fsmashed right, the Fsmash's back step would move you right instead of left. Now the back step of the Fsmash is always the opposite of the direction you Fsmash, giving you the same range backwards/forwards.

I may have been a little too brief in my earlier explanation. Hopefully this is more clear.
No, I see what you mean and understand what you're saying. I misunderstood what you were describing.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I have a confession. I think I'm bad with Ganondorf. I'm guessing anyone who really knows me probably isn't terribly surprised, heh. I've always been "free". But let me at least give context to why I'm saying this now...

Soooo, I avoided For Glory on the 3DS or online play at all, but since the Wii U came out I've been online a few times. Mostly 2v2 For Fun just because it seemed like a fun way to get used to what the wifi was like, which is mostly not bad. Then I moved onto 2v2 For Glory last week, and finally 1v1 For Glory this last weekend.

Forgive me, but I started my 1v1 For Glory experience with Captain Falcon... my old melee main. I won most of the time against randoms although my experience went something like this: Beat a random 2 or 3 times > the random drops > beat another random this way and they drop too > do this until I run into someone that beats me more than I beat them > go ten rounds. And thus I end up with only a slightly better win record than loss just because I apparently haven't learned to ragequit, lol. This was Friday night.

I then did some 1v1s with Samus, Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf in a kind of random order the next night. Not enough with Ganondorf to get a good feel. Mostly won or at least had close battles that night too. (Notably beat a Bowser Jr. a couple times with Ganondorf which was an interesting experience largely due to the fact that I don't know BJ's moves really still. He seems pretty safe with his aerials against mine. My uair clashed with his dair a few times as I recall, but he suffered for it more than me. His jab and smashes seem "unpokable" though out of shield just because of those lingering disjointed hitboxes. I baited a side B out of him a few times and punished with my own. I also beat a Link a few times, but I'm convinced he wasn't good after what happened the next night.)

But then Sunday night I decided to go full Ganon. Perhaps it was karma for not choosing him first. Perhaps I just had the luck of running into a few pretty good players. Or maybe I'm just legit actually bad with Ganondorf, heh. Regardless, through the pain of many loses I told myself it was all a learning experience and my Ganondorf was growing stronger through it. I think that last part was true in part since I finished with a string of wins and won more towards the end in general... but at the end of the night it was still a net loss by a large margin for me and my Ganondorf.

Chapter 1: Lasers, Lag, and Long Wings~

My experience with Ganondorf that night started with a Falco that I just never quite was able to finish. I still haven't really learned how to powershield out of a dash like I see some of you guys do, and that was a large part of my trouble I think. He also spaced me well and punished my shielding not with grabs so much as anticipating when I'd drop mine. For instance, he seemed to be able to fsmash at me and if I shielded it he could usually follow up with a jab before I could get a move off out of my own shield. I'll be honest that I don't remember a whole lot about these matches because the lag was a bit more prevalent and I wasn't "warm" yet. They were close matches that something silly had me lose most of the time. Went at least 5 rounds.

Chapter 2: Just a Pellet on the Road of a Hungry Champ~

Next was a guy that could beat me with almost everybody but most notably embarrassed me a couple times with Pac-man of all characters. I think he got in my head some and at some point I was losing because I lost some motivation. It also was difficult that I'd lose a match and start thinking about what I'd do different to matchup better when he'd suddenly be using an entirely different character. He beat me with DK and Bowser easily which was sad and caught me off guard. Both happened so fast I couldn't honestly process them now. I do remember the DK was a good spiker and had his dair beating my uair a few times but I think that was him just getting the move off before my uair could come out all the way. The Bowser used super armor and punished me trying to approach in the air every time.

His Pac-man was the worst though, partly because he showed it to me three times. That neutral B is a mind game. He'd just choose one side of the stage and mix up the projectiles he'd throw. I was terrible at timing avoiding all of them except maybe the Cherry since he'd only really use that if I got close. Most of the time I'd close in though it would either be by dashing in and powershielding a projectile and dashing closer to attack or jumping in and shielding a projectile and trying to dash into attack range. In both cases he'd usually punish with his dash attack and it's weird hitboxes. The vast majority of the trouble was even getting in though. By the third match I'd learned to be a bit more patient with the Pac-man but was still struggling. When I'd get in I could string in some good damage showing that he lost a lot of options when I could finally actually get to him. If I could do that three times in a stock, I could usually take the stock. The fact that I never beat him just goes to show how little I could actually get in on him. Clashing impacts doesn't count for "getting in" and I did aerial wizkick him pretty good a few times but that's not really an effective get in and punish tool.

He also used a Greninja a couple times that was the one of the only characters of his I actually beat. Perhaps he isn't as good with Greninja because I would've figured Pac-man would've been the easier matchup. His Greninja was pretty aggro though, so I had more opportunities to punish it. He also used a number of other characters once that I simply don't remember as well right now but still mostly beat me.

Chapter 3: Finding My Murderous Stride When Fairy Boy Has to Ruin Everything Like Always~

I then played a guy for two rounds that I two stocked both times before he dropped like I should've against the last guy, lol. After him though was a guy who used Fox, Villager, G&W, Zero Suit Samus, and Link. He only used Villager twice who I beat relatively easily both times and G&W once who I barely beat and never felt like I developed a comfortable strategy against. The other three showed up many more times.

The Fox was very aggro and could string several attacks together on me but by the second match with it I'd figured how to punish most of what he did habitually. One huge mistake the Fox liked to make was try and punish my edgeguarding by sideBing onto the stage. I could approach the edge and quickly retreat to hit the end of the move. I learned though that Ganon's side smash can hit Fox right in the midst of Fox's side B if timed right. Fox hates uair too.

Zero Suit Samus was much scarier though. I never really felt comfortable with her, but I did win half the matches against her. I mostly attribute this to the aggro play of this same guy. I punished him most often when he tried to hit me in the air. He wanted that upB kill move on me and wizkick always nipped that in the bud. I think that's how most of my kills against her came, once even spiking off the bottom.

But then there was his Link, and once he realized a winning strategy on me, he stuck with Link for the rest of our matches. They were close matches, but after the first two he won the rest. He played like the last guys Pac-man and just kept as many projectiles in the air at a time as he could. He was still easier to approach then the Pac-man though. It's just that his options when I got in seemed better and at this point he reminded me of the Falco from eariler. That delay on the fsmash I had to respect and there's lots of times I could've gotten a hit in but he held it there. When I got in he'd mostly jab punish which has good range and feels like it can be time staggered well too, but he also would fsmash the first swing and hang onto the second while I kept my shield up and either go with the second if I dropped early or just do his jab again if I dropped late. He also got me with that great dash attack if I rolled away. Link and Ganon's rolls seem like they're very close to the same length though so a few times I was able to roll approach a roll away of his and be right where I was and get a grab in. Most of what I got in with successfully was grab usually followed by dash attack. I think he burned me out with projectiles though and just held on to victory usually because I'd do something dumb at the exact wrong moment toward the end.

Chapter 4: Cleaning of the Pipes~

Last was a guy that used Mario every time. They were all fairly close battles, but I won them all which was a nice note to end my night on after being well beaten for the majority of the time. We did 4 battles. He always seemed to take my stock first but then I'd finish him. Only once did I get the first stock. The matchup thread we have here helped a lot. Dtilt is pretty great for Mario. I could also bait him into a Gerudo pretty well since he wanted grabs and has to get close to me for real damage. I think part of my success was that his mindset would change once he got that first stock against me and would go for a quick and early cape kill or a spike kill on my last stock and I'd punish his desires. The time I took his stock first he fought desperately and did well to make the game close again, but couldn't bring it all the way back.

Epilogue/Conclusion: Not really but since I was chapterizing this post anyways...

And there's the long story of my first real 1v1 experience with Ganondorf and the struggles I had. I'd like to hear what people think of the Pac-man matchup as well how Falcos, Zero Suit Samus, and Link battles go for you.

Last edited:

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Guys I figured out something very funny, you know how the stickies in our Ganon forums are all by @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm , and @ Vermanubis Vermanubis and @ Z1GMA Z1GMA ? I always found it amazing how all their avatars had red hair lol. But now we have one by @Davis-Lightheart ... although he's pacman, he's wearing a Red hat!

Is this a Ganon sign?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Anyone interested in seeing a bunch of Ganon mirrors between me and another good dorf? Can't upload now, but am curious.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Guys I figured out something very funny, you know how the stickies in our Ganon forums are all by @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm , and @ Vermanubis Vermanubis and @ Z1GMA Z1GMA ? I always found it amazing how all their avatars had red hair lol. But now we have one by @Davis-Lightheart ... although he's pacman, he's wearing a Red hat!

Is this a Ganon sign?
That was a delightful post, Raizen. However, Sigma (they guy in my ava) is bald.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Just thought i'd mention that I have a rather wonderful replay of my G-dorf vs a fox...

So, someone out there might be wondering why I'm so proud of this. That would be because I trashed him in 34 seconds whilst only taking about 10% of damage.

This might be an average day for other ganondorfs, but screw it. I am too happy about this to care xD

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Just thought i'd mention that I have a rather wonderful replay of my G-dorf vs a fox...

So, someone out there might be wondering why I'm so proud of this. That would be because I trashed him in 34 seconds whilst only taking about 10% of damage.

This might be an average day for other ganondorfs, but screw it. I am too happy about this to care xD
Don't delete it. It might fit in the Ganon Boards Compilation vid.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That was a delightful post, Raizen. However, Sigma (they guy in my ava) is bald.
I had to go check Ganon's front page just to see what Raizen saw... I guess he thought your avatar had awful clown hair or something~

One highlight of my night of mostly getting abused was fighting a guys Fox with Ganon and punishing his aggro recoveries. First time we fought I jumped back from the edge during his recovery and spaced a reverse warlock punch to hit him out of a horizontal fire fox. It was very satisfying.

I've not owned someone like your describing though, other than comps but that hardly counts obviously. I have had a few sub minute matches but they were Falcon matches as I recall. Haven't played that much 1v1 though. Hope to have some good wins with Ganon in my future.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
My highlights involve bodying a Sheik on FG lol, they were pretty good too but I don't think they knew the MU. either that, or it's because I am familiar with the MU.

Congratz at Sykkamore though, that is impressive.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I just want to mention how beautifully majestic Ganon's Bair is. God I love that move. It's so good.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah, Ganon is one the the few characters where I like most of their moves. It's like they put all of the suck into his few bad moves so that the rest can be good lol.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
I just want to mention how beautifully majestic Ganon's Bair is. God I love that move. It is so good.
I used to strike that amazing pose every time I would finish a FFA with Ganon's Bair. Arms outstretched in utter majesty.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
One highlight of my night of mostly getting abused was fighting a guys Fox with Ganon and punishing his aggro recoveries. First time we fought I jumped back from the edge during his recovery and spaced a reverse warlock punch to hit him out of a horizontal fire fox. It was very satisfying.
Just quoting myself because, well, I did that same thing again tonight. Except this time it was a Falco. I somehow just knew he'd try it and next thing you know my reversed Warlock Punch is connecting with his face. Managed a couple other silly things on this Falco like a wizkick spike and ganoncide too.

Had a good set of 1v1s with Ganon alone. I felt I did better but then I may have just been facing weaker foes. Maybe a bit of both. My last few were against this guy's Shulk and he did wonders for my confidence, heh. Had fun doing all sorts of things to him. Uair seems quite effective on Shulks off the edge. He really doesn't have a good recovery barring "Jump". Also got in an aerial wizkick spike, a wizkick edgecancelled to dair spike, and a ganoncide on him. Majority of my kills were with wizkick or side smash I think, probably followed by uair. I aerial approached to side smash/tilt a lot.

Faced other people in much closer and less silly matches, most of which I won. Felt pretty lucky tonight since even the people who seemed better than me, I was able to manage to get the kills when I needed them. Like this Yoshi who was knocking me around a lot, I managed to catch him with side smash and finish him even though I had like 40 more damage or something. Stuff like that.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I've got into a bad habit of allowing myself to have damage deliberately, so the Rage effect kicks in.

I think It would be worthwhile to find out the kill percents of moves when under the effect of rage.

It almost seems like the extra knockback is proportional to original kb of the attacks it's boosting!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well, there's going to be a moves base unstaled kill percent, then there's going to be a moves rage effected unstaled kill percent. Disregarding staleness at all, we should determine the strength of the vectoring at these percents of the character getting hit. Does rage effect neutralize the benefit of stronger vectoring at higher percents? Something I'm curious about that I didn't bother to check on the 3DS version since it made managing the damage percents of you and the training opponent kinda dumb.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Well, there's going to be a moves base unstaled kill percent, then there's going to be a moves rage effected unstaled kill percent. Disregarding staleness at all, we should determine the strength of the vectoring at these percents of the character getting hit. Does rage effect neutralize the benefit of stronger vectoring at higher percents? Something I'm curious about that I didn't bother to check on the 3DS version since it made managing the damage percents of you and the training opponent kinda dumb.
Vectoring is gone. It's only DI now, they patched vectoring out.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Vectoring is gone. It's only DI now, they patched vectoring out.
Wow, really? Shows how much I've been paying attention since the patch/Wii U came out. I wonder why. Makes it seem like that function was a mistake. It occurs to me that I'm not even sure if rage effect is still a thing, but I trust Sykka knows better than me.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Wow, really? Shows how much I've been paying attention since the patch/Wii U came out. I wonder why. Makes it seem like that function was a mistake. It occurs to me that I'm not even sure if rage effect is still a thing, but I trust Sykka knows better than me.
Rage effect is still there. They probably changed vectoring because so many people really disliked it, causing it to change. The rage effect is still proven to be there.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Well, was just on for glory and was playing rather cackhandedly. I got up to 120%. I killed with fsmash from near he centre of omega wily's castle on marth at around 36% I do believe. Mid charged smashes on rage... yay!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I've got into a bad habit of allowing myself to have damage deliberately, so the Rage effect kicks in.

I think It would be worthwhile to find out the kill percents of moves when under the effect of rage.

It almost seems like the extra knockback is proportional to original kb of the attacks it's boosting!
Rage is always in effect, It's not a 'suddenly rage kicks in' sort of deal like people think it is, your knockback simply gets bosted the higher your percent is, starting from 0% and all the way up to 150% (Maximum raged isnt confirmed)

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Rage is always in effect, It's not a 'suddenly rage kicks in' sort of deal like people think it is, your knockback simply gets bosted the higher your percent is, starting from 0% and all the way up to 150% (Maximum raged isnt confirmed)
I worded that pretty badly xD I am aware of how It works :p

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Brings a whole new meaning to "hit me, I'll hit you back just as hard"

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Rage effect is still there. They probably changed vectoring because so many people really disliked it, causing it to change. The rage effect is still proven to be there.
I guess I also missed that vectoring was a disliked thing. I remember it being discussed and when it was first noted but I don't really remember negative opinions. People preferred the old DI though huh? And apparently Nintendo listened or never intended for DI to be vectoring to begin with.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I guess I also missed that vectoring was a disliked thing. I remember it being discussed and when it was first noted but I don't really remember negative opinions. People preferred the old DI though huh? And apparently Nintendo listened or never intended for DI to be vectoring to begin with.
Vectoring made characters survive too much and threw off combos and reading too much. It also created a variety if glitches(see Wario). DI is altogether a better system and is an improvement to Smash 4 in many people's eyes.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Vectoring made characters survive too much and threw off combos and reading too much. It also created a variety if glitches(see Wario). DI is altogether a better system and is an improvement to Smash 4 in many people's eyes.
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that DI in Smash 4 is almost certainly the weakest incarnation it's ever had. It isn't even enough to DI out of most combos, let alone significantly change death percentages.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Oh, so they did actually finally get rid of that ridiculous Wario glitch. I should've figured that was part of it. Last I heard about patch updates it was before I think the patch was actually available. The 3DS had an update and I think people assumed Smash got patched then and were all checking stuff and not finding anything different. Then I never bothered to follow up to see about that patch. So yeah, I'm late to all this news clearly.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you guys ever get around to making a Community Combo/Compilation Video, you should totally use this song from the 80s. As I was at college, this song came up in my head with Ganondorf in mind. :awesome:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I got news that Kage (Melee Ganon) is going to attend the Smash Wii U tournament this weekend.

As far as I was told, he'll be using Ganon.

We may run into each other.

The cast will be huge, so @ Z1GMA Z1GMA don't miss my stream this time >.>

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ Sykkamorre Sykkamorre

Had a few For Glory matches with Ganon a bit ago. Got close to your 30ish second feat against a legit Yoshi. It was around 45 seconds though. Eight total landed moves. 2 stocks. Pretty great.

Moves in order... jab, jab, get up attack, fair, ledge attack, dtilt, fsmash, and aerudo.

Obviously no real combos here. Just baits and punishes. And I bet you can guess what "aerudo" being the last move means, heh. And that wasn't even the first time I finished one of our bouts this way.

The Yoshi was pretty aggro and could string attack after attack into me if I wasn't careful. If I was careful I could sneak a punish into his non stop actions. Lots of momentum canceling and grab gimmicks and a solid egg throw game. He beat me maybe a match over 50% but I was happy to take nearly half our matches from him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom