• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Criminis are actually baby portobellos.

Broiling is high heat with only the top surface element, so you usually only use that to brown food or just cook the exterior. The lower of a temperature you cook in the oven, the more evenly the food will cook.

There are other variables like the shape of the food or if the food is still frozen or cold in the center.

I'm thinking about investing in a home sous vide appliance or going the affordable route with a temperature control device like this instead.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
fried up some vegetables and uncle ben's long grain and wild rice together with soy sauce. It's fast and tastes great together

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Went to lunch at dad's friends place. Someone brings this platter of sweets. Mmhmmm

And my lunch today, tried a new pasta place in South Melbourne, perfect food for post-gym recovery! <3

M@v

Subarashii!
I had Anchovies butter today. Yeah you read that right. I didn't have a clue it even existed. They cook up some interesting things here in California.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anchovies stink horrible, and pollute anything they are added to with a very salty, greasy, and fish flavor. You can take the anchovies out of the food, but the flavor remains.

I had them on pizza once, and it was the worst regret I've ever had when it comes to food.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That's because they shouldn't be treated as a main protein, bot as a very invasive spice.
I'll have to look for the recipe, but there's a lasagna-like dish made with tons of potato and some filleted anchovies. It was one of the dishes I liked the most when I was at school.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anchovies are the bomb when used appropriately. Love the hit of salt they give to pasta.

Spent the weekend in Sydney with my best friend and we ate up a storm

Pandan ice-cream on brioche. Insane.

Macarons! <3

8 hour roasted lamb and pork, over a wood fire, totally amazing.

Burnt caramel, chocolate ice-cream with popcorn and poached peaches

Ice-cream sandwich! <3

I have a soft spot for sugar.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I like to classify anchovies into three main categories:
-cheap ones that go on pizza
-excessively expensive ones that you get canned from Spain
-paste or fish sauce, used to give an umami boost like garlic, soy sauce, seaweed, miso, or mushrooms would.

You guys ever have fish sauce chicken wings? Sounds gross but may be one of the most addictive things you'll put in your mouth.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That post gave me diabetes, Thunder.
I loved it.

I found the recipe, but I have to translate it (I hate translating cuisine terms).

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Popcorn and ice cream. Sounds like conflicting textures. No thanks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I made my own Tai inspired sauce, based on peanuts and curry.

It tasted good in a stir fry

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently they make purple asparagus

I want to try it

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did some baking today!

Peanut butter, banana, choc chip cookies...hard not to like really <3

First time trying this lime yoghurt cake recipe, actually quite nice, we used fresh limes from someone else's garden which smelled so good. Texture is kind of chewy which is interesting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I went to the LGBT Pride Parade in Northampton, Massachusetts this past Saturday (had a blast, by the way). After everything came to a close, on our way to the bus stop, my friends and I decided to go to a restaurant one of them used to work for. A little sushi bar called Moshi Moshi in the downtown area. It's the first time I've ever had actual Japanese food. Here are several pics of the things we've had:

A caterpillar roll. It looks really cute, it was almost a shame to eat it.

A dragon roll. Easily the best sushi I've ever had.

Nabeyaki udon. It contains a poached egg, shrimp, tempura, fish cake, scallions, toasted seaweed and noodles. The noodles itself were really thick and flavorful. Probably the best food ever for me; I will never look at ramen the same way again.

To those who pass by, visiting, or live in Northampton, MA, I highly recommend this place.

clowsui

Smash Legend
gotta be careful w/ "real" japanese food. savvy chinese restauranteurs are getting into the biz and hiring chinese chefs (fukian ppl especially)

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
In my area, a lot of Japanese restaurants are Korean-owned instead.

Udon's good, but I prefer soba or ramen. You need to try tonkotsu ramen!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In my area, a lot of Japanese restaurants are run by Hispanics

Caterpillar roll is my favorite

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
My local Japanese restaurants are pretty much Asian. The closest is about 2 miles away, and is run by Japanese, but it's meh. The next one is 8 miles and is run by Koreans. The one after that is 15 miles, run by Japanese, and is the one I prefer. They make reaaaaally good sukiyaki.

These are the non-chain businesses.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The sushi restaurants in my area are IN the "Little Korea" area here, yet they are still run my Hispanics...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
There's a Japanese owned Japanese restaurant with a good amount of Japanese clientele near my house but the cooks are Mexican. There's also sushi bar next to a pharmacy nearby but that place is fully Chinese owned, operated and staffed.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The chefs and owner working there are people my friend knows, and they are Japanese. The only ones not Japanese are a couple of waiters, one of them being white (not sure about the other one).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I made pad thai before following instructions and it turned out horrible

Today I made it my own way, and it was the most delicious thing ever.

It just made some minor alterations that I felt were better than the instructions I read

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
This thread brought up so much hate inside me.
First, I hate it when great threads have so many posts, I got here too late and there's no way I'm gonna read all that lol.
Second, I'm doing insanity and now I just want to throw it all down the toilet, this food looks delicious.
My favorite is a version of the Lasagna that we eat here in Venezuela, the name is Pasticho and has a lot of different stuff.

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
It's almost the same as a lasagna, but with other things, it was kind of and invent from the italian imigrants, the biggest difference is in that it uses another kind of pasta, the layers of pasta are flat, while the lasagna ones ar a little bit wavy.
Also it has ham, which the lasagna does not. Those are the biggest differences, in some places they make it with capers too.
Not such a big difference, but if you tell an italian that they're the same, they'll spit on your face lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Sounds a lot like a potato lasagna recipe I found, where instead of pasta are Potato slices, and the base filling is just ham and mayo (and anything else you want).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wouldn't it not be called "Lasagna" if it didn't use Lasagna noodles? Since the dish is named after the noodles.

Also I've made a stir fry with coconut milk and red curry.

The recipe called for A LOT of coconut milk and I decreased the amount it called for (Significantly, it called for an entire can) and added soy sauce, but the coconut is STILL overpowering. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if I actually followed directions.

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious about that stir fry with coconut milk, can't seem to imagine the flavor, we made some pasticho for mother's day, I'll post some pictures soon but yeah, I think it loses the name lasagna just because it's not using lasagna noodles which is after what it's named.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it was suppose to be some kind of "Thai" dish, but I kind of didn't really follow any directions and used Japanese noodles

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer

Got to decorate chocolate skulls at a media preview of an upcoming chocolate festival. Lots of chocolate was consumed.

Also made these dates stuffed with vanilla ricotta with some crushed pistachios as a little afternoon tea snack on mother's day. Got the recipe from an american/arab blogger friend of mine, so easy and so delicious!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
That choco skull reminded me of the traditional sugar skulls we have in Mexico.
The dates look tasty; you should link the recipe perhaps. =P

EDIT: Choco Skull is a great name for a band btw.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Soy sauce into a curry? That sounds strange to me. I've never heard of coconut flavor being overpowering in curry, but the ones I have are usually so spicy it's hard to tell.

Pastitsio is the "Greek version" of lasagna. There are quite a lot of regional variations similar to lasagna with the layered pasta/sauce/otherstuff, but I'm not sure if it is directly inspired by lasagna.

Top Bottom