• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Good god. So much bacon. How do you people not break out in zits o_O?

Made a cheese frittata today. Cheese, mozarella, egg, american cheese, paprika, salt, pepper, grated potatoes, and cut up onions (I suck at dicing lmao). Turn out was pretty good, but I added too much olive oil so it was a little oily at the end. Didn't realize potatoes absorb oil so easily.

How do I flavor it better next time (Besides the obvious answer of cut up peppers).

:018:

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I like adding spinach to make it healthier. Frittatas are so versatile, you could add anything that you also like on pizza like olives or artichoke hearts. Manchego and sliced red potatoes is pretty yummy.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Good god. So much bacon. How do you people not break out in zits o_O?
Isn't that just a myth?

Made a cheese frittata today. Cheese, mozarella, egg, american cheese, paprika, salt, pepper, grated potatoes, and cut up onions (I suck at dicing lmao). Turn out was pretty good, but I added too much olive oil so it was a little oily at the end. Didn't realize potatoes absorb oil so easily.
You put egg in it, so it automatically wins. :D

How do I flavor it better next time (Besides the obvious answer of cut up peppers).
I suppose you can put less olive oil? But that probably goes without saying. Have you tried adding a little meat to it? Maybe chopped up steak, pork, or even Vienna sausages?

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Adding meat to a "bad" dish doesn't make it good all of a sudden.

Joe, the best you can do is cut the onions and fry them in olive oil - not too hot though. Depending on what peppers you use you may wanna cook them in salt water. Green Peppers should be OK but red and yellow peppers are very sweet, fruity and emit a lot of juice. If you chop them into little pieces you can add them as soon as the onions start to turn golden/yellow-ish. While frying them together you can add salt, sugar and whatever else you wanna spice it with.

Keep in mind that all the ingredents you use can tolerate a good amount of salt - especially the potatoes. So while you make the whole thing step by step, keep in mind to always add some salt to it - first while you fry the onions [you can also add a bit of sugar here], then when you've added the peppers [unless you already cooked them in salt water] and later when you add the potatoes and the eggs. Just make sure to always taste what you already have and add salt if needed, then go on to the next step and add the next ingredent - fry it a bit and then give it another check to see if you wanna throw some more spice into the mix.

Leave out the mozzarella. Mozarella is bollocks unless it's 100% buffalo mozzarella which you normally only get it Italy, Swizerland or Austria.

Basically, the key is to just go step by step and whore the max out of each ingredent, step by step. First the Onions, then the Peppers, then whatever else you wanna add into it and then the egg/cheese mix.

:059:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually dislike Italian food.

They use a lot of ingredients I don't like such as sausage, onions, and tomatoes

I do use onions in my recipes, but only in ways I know I won't dislike them.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Adding meat to a "bad" dish doesn't make it good all of a sudden.
Not with that attitude. Add bacon to something, and it becomes better a million fold!

Well, joking aside, it may not make it better by much, but depending on the dish and the meat added to it, it can still improve the flavor and quality...

Unless, of course, one is vegan, I guess?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Not with that attitude. Add bacon to something, and it becomes better a million fold!

Disagree.
Well, joking aside, it may not make it better by much, but depending on the dish and the meat added to it, it can still improve the flavor and quality...

Unless, of course, one is vegan, I guess?

I agree only slightly, but it also depends on the dish. A literal "meat lasagna" doesn't look too appealing to me and I'm not a vegetarian/vegan in the slightest. Now, changing regular ground beef to ground turkey meat for tacos can make a difference that has an effect upon taste buds and it's healthier.

I think flavor is more of a factor upon the seasonings, spices, and vegetables/fruits added to a dish. The meat obviously will taste plain without those things.

In terms of Mexican food (Since I'm referring to that) I actually prefer vegetarian chili (Fake, but deliciously spicy meat), but love tacos with ground beef. I make tacos with my brothers every now and then. We usually use a pound to two pounds of ground beef. We defrost it, brown it in a pan, and then add seasonings. My family really enjoys spicy food (Me more-so to an extreme) so we tend to add crushed red peppers, cayenne pepper seasoning, a little cumin, paprika, and chili powder. The flavor packets we like to use are 1-2 McCormick's hot taco seasoning (Usually via adding a cup of water to the browned meat to help it absorb). Old el paso and every other one I've tried literally tastes like garbage. It tastes really well with sliced fresh jalapeno, cheddar cheese, and salsa. I prefer soft taco shells, but my littlest brother likes hard lol. Good times...

Also, this has probably been stated before, but can someone edit the OP title so the word "Discussion" is spelled correctly? Slightly irks me lol.

:018:

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I normally love the addition on cheese, but I prefer tacos the way they serve it on street vendors in Mexico. A hot fresh soft corn tortilla, quickly griddled and well-seasoned fatty meat, just a little chopped cilantro and onion with a spritz of lime. A side of pickled veggies to further cut the richness.

Y'all care for fancy hot dogs? The regional specialty where I live is the Sonoran hot dog, which is wrapped in bacon then topped with pinto beans, chopped fresh tomatoes and grilled/raw onions, mustard, mayo, and jalapeño salsa. Sometimes you can get garlic powder griddled into the bun from the local Mexican bakery, slightly sweeter than normal buns. Served with a grilled yellow pepper on the side.

[COLLAPSE="Pic"]
[/COLLAPSE]

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Cilantro=Coriander btw
but yes, original mexican tacos are much, much better than the american version, fried, filled with many unnecessary stuff...

lol mayo should only be egg+lemon.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Free Food at Full Sail, and I'm enjoying desert with two cups chocolate parfait with oreos and fudge syrup at the bottom.

Oh yeah, this was the right day to go to hang out at my school.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So.. what have you all been eating?
I went Little Ceasars and tasted the Cheesebread. It was like a Cheese Heaven...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm the type of girl who prefers quantity over quality. A bad quality to those who care about food. Personally though, as long as it's edible, can get me full, and isn't too "exotic" (monkey brains, still-beating snake heart, etc.), I'll be perfectly content.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I prefer quality.

I deserve the best, and I get the best quality of food.

I love eating exotic things, and when I see a new ingredient I've never seen before, I try and find a good recipe for it.

I'm also humble

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I like both quality and quantity.
I don't mind small quantity if quality is great.
I don't mind not-so-great quality if quantity great.
If quality is really bad, though, I might pass no matter the quantity. :p

Also I love bizarre/exotic/new food and flavors.

idk, I just love to eat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
never really liked fuddrucker's all that much, but i got an amazing custom burger yesterday. no cheese, but sauteed mushrooms and fresh guacamole. i think the juices from the mushrooms and guac seeped into the patty, because it made the burger that much juicier. SO. GOOD.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
There can't be a versus match between quality and quantity with food.

Everyone likes good food and everyone likes a lot of "okay" food. Obviously you shoot for the highest quality you can get, but when you're hungry, you're hungry.

I work on a reaction-based system of operations.
Essentially.

Self proclaimed "foodies" are horrible.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I was lucky once to have a good quantity of the best food I've had in my life
Gibson's steakhouse in Chicago
Most expensive meal I've had.....but it was a la carte and was MORE than enough for my entire family
I ate so much steak. Had a nice salad too irc. And lobster bisque....the best lobster bisque I've ever had
The steak was also the best steak I've had. Highest quality I've had too. It just melted in my mouth and was perfect and omgggg
And the potatoes were perfect
I probably gained a bunch of weight that meal
So worth it though. And I'm a diva when it comes to good steak.

Also half price sushi at my old place of employment is a good quality/quantity ratio
Best sushi in Cleveland (freshest salmon, awesome tuna, creative rolls)
Pigging out on sushi for super cheap is the best feeling. And my boss usually gives me and my friends a free roll or appetizer too

Gah I love food and miss actually eating 3 square meals a day instead of 1-2
Gahhhh
Luckily dollar burgers tomorrow at Bar Louie. Huzzah!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The best food I ever had in my mouth was In-and-Out Burger after surfing all day in the beach. Water just makes me super hungry. I almost died biting into that thing.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Went to a restaurant for a pizza making thing I was invited to, learnt how to make Italian style pizza dough from scratch, was awesome!

Also had massively crunchy chips. Mmmmhmm.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a good eggplant recipe when I was a kid, but overall I can't stand eggplant

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I recently had some kind of teriyaki kabobs, and on them were some kind of mushrooms...

Even though I said I didn't like mushrooms, I tried them and something about them was delicious.

I wish I knew what kind of mushrooms they were, or if it was just the way they were cooked.

Perhaps it's just raw mushrooms I hate. Might make sense, I hate most vegetables raw

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My experiment with mushrooms was interesting/

The portabellas I cooked tasted pretty good, but I also cooked Crimini and they didn't fair so well.

I blame the fact I SUCK at broiling. For some reason, everything I broil turns out not done well enough.

Maybe it's my oven?

Give me a stove, I can produce miracles. Give me an oven, all I can make is crap. I think it's because you have a much more intimate relationship with the food on the stove, as opposed to the oven.

Top Bottom