• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I would really like this since I do like certain fairies (especially Flare) better than Lip. It's part of the reason why I'd like her to be elemental than cast flower status.
Elemental fairy moveset. Interesting.
That would be huge gamechanger for moveset. Kind of like the Monado style of Shulk in Sm4sh.
I could see this happen, same with the alt's. Wow ... While Lip's still the face of the franchise, this is incredible, that way the "Lip's Stick" item, and Kirby's Trash Block be no issue at all, since it would only be partially about the gameplay.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If that were to be the case, they'd have to redesign all of the fairies to give them similar proportions, whether that means making the kids taller or the older girls shorter, and make absolutely sure not to use any elements or attacks that would only make sense for one fairy. It would just feel dull, and wouldn't do any of them justice, if the only difference between them were the model and voice clips used, and what particle effects appear in their attacks. While it "worked" for Bowser Jr., it really feels more like they made the Junior Clown Car a character instead of actually allowing him to do things he does in the Mario series (outside of Shadow Mario). Personally, I feel like just having Lip as a character is the way to go.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Unrelated to PdP, but I had to get this out.

Guess who just finished watching all of Smile PreCure? I know Smile gets a little bit of lack for being "simple and more to the point", but I think that's what I appreciated about that season. It feels like it was allowed to do its own thing, thus the show's more episodic format.

BTW, considered that the Smile Cures defeated a BLACK HOLE, does that make them the strongest Cures by default? I hear a lot of fans make that assumption, and I haven't seen any Cures fight something of that magnitude before or after Smile! (Well, I guess there is for Black Hole himself from the 3rd All-Stars movie)...
Technically no because all the PreCure prior the Smile defeated a black hole in PreCure All Stars DX 3. In my opinion the strongest PreCure are probably Cure Black and Cure White because they're literally physically strong as PreCure and don't need any weapons to defeat huge villains now a days. If you ever see the All Star movies they're always seen doing the CRAZIEST things (they freaking stopped a boat from hitting the city with Shiny Luminous)

Wouldn't it be cool if Lip's moveset involved call backs to past Panel De Pon/Puzzle league games. Like what if she uses her magic to pull out a pokémon, Virus from Dr. Mario, or a Yoshi cookie? I personally think it would be cool if her moves could involve call out to other Nintendo puzzle games just to make her more unique! Not that a fighting fairy isn't unique enough ;)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Wouldn't it be cool if Lip's moveset involved call backs to past Panel De Pon/Puzzle league games. Like what if she uses her magic to pull out a pokémon, Virus from Dr. Mario, or a Yoshi cookie? I personally think it would be cool if her moves could involve call out to other Nintendo puzzle games just to make her more unique! Not that a fighting fairy isn't unique enough ;)
Not sure if I'm a fan of that idea. At most I see it as a PAC-MAN side taunt kind of deal.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Not sure if I'm a fan of that idea. At most I see it as a PAC-MAN side taunt kind of deal.
Understandable! I should have specify that these call outs would be random and rare-----
example: Lets just say Lip's side be is throwing flowers, maybe there's a chance of throwing a Yoshi cookie (the flower one to be exact) ya feel?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Let's not forget that Ganondorf began as a Captain Falcon clone.
But now he isn't. And I strongly doubt they're going to go back to doing that, especially not with new characters that are main protagonists.

What if the other fairies were alt's, just like the Koopalings?
Terrible idea. All the fairies would need to share the same animations, which would greatly restrict what they're able to do. The only reason it works with the Koopalings is because the clown car is the one doing most of the attacks, and the Koopaling is just the one controlling it, making it easy for animations to be shared across the different versions. Not so simple when you have different fairies with different weapons, different magical powers and different bodytypes - Neris doesn't even have any legs, she has a mermaid tail, making animation sharing impossible.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh! I didn’t notice that! That’s pretty cool!

Many Lip fans have noticed this about the flower. I just hope it means good for her. It's kind of absurd of them to update the flower model, especially to match the Panel de Pon title screen, but leave the item untouched. And a little suspicious, too.

Calane

Smash Ace
You know, I just realized that I'm not on the support list. Or, at least I couldn't find myself on it. Please, put me down for support. I never got a chance to play the game, so most probably wouldn't consider me a true fan, but I honestly really like Lip and Panel de Pon as a whole. Not only that, but I'm a big fan of old Nintendo characters getting revived in Smash, so there's that too.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wait... does Kirby still turn into a garbage block in Ultimate?
It's been confirmed that yes he does. There's a screenshot earlier in the thread. Don't let that get you down, though!

You know, I just realized that I'm not on the support list. Or, at least I couldn't find myself on it. Please, put me down for support. I never got a chance to play the game, so most probably wouldn't consider me a true fan, but I honestly really like Lip and Panel de Pon as a whole. Not only that, but I'm a big fan of old Nintendo characters getting revived in Smash, so there's that too.
Don't worry about that. As long as you love Lippy and think she deserves to be in Smash Bros., you're welcome here. Even if you're more into Tetris Attack, or Planet Puzzle League (but whose favorite Panel de Pon is Planet Puzzle League? Really now), as long as you support Lip in Smash, you can consider yourself a part of this community. I want this to be a space for all Lip fans, not just the longest-lived ones, or the ones who only like the original game.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I dunno how you guy's would feel about this, but what if along with Lip, Flying Wiggler from Tetris Attack happened?
It might be a little weird but it'd semi-make sense given what they did when they brought the series over to the US for the first time.

But then again that might be a tad too strange. In fact that's just silly. Ah well. :p

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I dunno how you guy's would feel about this, but what if along with Lip, Flying Wiggler from Tetris Attack happened?
It might be a little weird but it'd semi-make sense given what they did when they brought the series over to the US for the first time.

But then again that might be a tad too strange. In fact that's just silly. Ah well. :p
Yeah, Flying Wiggler is far too obscure/niche of a character to ever happen (said the Lip supporter, lol). If we're going to put him/her in, we might as well put in Sluggy the Unshaven or Green Biker Dude too.

PsychoJosh

Why would I ever want a generic enemy in Smash? Might as well be asking for Goomba.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow. You know what I want by now, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow. You know what I want by now, so I'll leave it at that.
I don't think we would get a retro character like lip at this direct. The retro reveals tend to be one of the last ones.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't think we would get a retro character like lip at this direct. The retro reveals tend to be one of the last ones.
At this point, the only thing I don't want is an explicit deconfirmation. That, and Steve? as a playable character.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I just hope something in the Direct gives every leak we've had so far a kick in the spleen. I don't care if it's Lip (and I still hope she gets in) or Shantae or even Goku. I hate liars so guess what I think of those leakers. They've been really annoying throughout August.

And if Lip gets in, I hope her trailer shows her getting revenge on Yoshi and Pikachu for stealing her spotlight in her own games.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
At this point, the only thing I don't want is an explicit deconfirmation. That, and Steve? as a playable character.
Yeah that would be sad, I doubt we will get that unless somehow we see Lip in some other role, which seems odd to show in this direct

I just hope something in the Direct gives every leak we've had so far a kick in the spleen. I don't care if it's Lip (and I still hope she gets in) or Shantae or even Goku. I hate liars so guess what I think of those leakers. They've been really annoying all summer.

And if Lip gets in, I hope her trailer shows her getting revenge on Yoshi and Pikachu for stealing her spotlight in her own games.
I feel this Direct will make or break every single leak out there.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd rather have a trailer that has Lippy working together with Yoshi and Pikachu to show that there are no hard feelings. Although given this game's track record of "killing" beloved characters in reveal trailers, I wouldn't be surprised if Lip's reveal trailer ended up with either of those two meeting a gruesome fate. After the reaction to Luigi getting his soul ripped out, can you imagine what Pikachu seemingly dying would do to the internet?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd rather have a trailer that has Lippy working together with Yoshi and Pikachu to show that there are no hard feelings. Although given this game's track record of "killing" beloved characters in reveal trailers, I wouldn't be surprised if Lip's reveal trailer ended up with either of those two meeting a gruesome fate. After the reaction to Luigi getting his soul ripped out, can you imagine what Pikachu seemingly dying would do to the internet?
I think Pikachu and Yoshi getting crushed by a garbage block would be hilarious, and seeing the internets reaction would be gold. Plus, it shows Sakurai doesn't care about image or appearance or brand protection, unlike a certain company and MvCI...

NukeA6

Smash Master
Gotta show that tomboy side of her some way besides, it wouldn't be anything more than cartoon violence. She's no Ridley or that edgey Shadow.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Gotta show that tomboy side of her some way besides, it wouldn't be anything more than cartoon violence. She's no Ridley or that edgey Shadow.
I just don't see Lip being violent to other people without very good reason. She's too much of a cinnamon roll.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I wonder how many characters will be revealed. Since it's a random Nintendo direct I am betting at least one original character and or 2 echoes. Honestly, even if Lip isn't in the game, I would be even more upset if we get no retros or out of nowhere characters because they add a bit of diversity to the roaster!

NukeA6

Smash Master
Is Geno retro enough? I mean he did appear 1 year after Panel de Pon. Can't really think of any worthy characters besides those two for the retro character pick.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Geno might be considered a retro pick because of just how old he is, but I don't know if he'll be in the game because Nintendo/Sora would have to go through Square Enix first, and they're stingy enough with their music. Smash Bros. always has at least two new retro characters per game since Melee (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, Pit and ROB, Duck Hunt and either Pac-Man or Little Mac depending on who you ask), though, so even if Geno is in, it's not an automatic fairy deconfirmation.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's also a good point. Geno is popular enough to get in as a ballot pick like K. Rool was, not just as a "token retro" nobody was expecting. That could be even better news for Lippy, if you want to look at it that way.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's also a good point. Geno is popular enough to get in as a ballot pick like K. Rool was, not just as a "token retro" nobody was expecting. That could be even better news for Lippy, if you want to look at it that way.
I mean that's what I like to think anyways! Lip seems like a Duck Hunt situation to me!

PS: I've decided pretty much if Lip isn't an assist or in the game; she is gonna be the main character I back for DLC (first party at least) I think once all the big players are in Smash; It'll be so much easier for the Lip fanbase to be vocal about their desires! Not implying those other hyped characters don't deserve it for the most part lol, but you get what I'm saying. Crazy how Smash get's me to back characters that I mostly haven't played their games. Does the thread have any characters like that?

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I mean that's what I like to think anyways! Lip seems like a Duck Hunt situation to me!

PS: I've decided pretty much if Lip isn't an assist or in the game; she is gonna be the main character I back for DLC (first party at least) I think once all the big players are in Smash; It'll be so much easier for the Lip fanbase to be vocal about their desires! Not implying those other hyped characters don't deserve it for the most part lol, but you get what I'm saying. Crazy how Smash get's me to back characters that I mostly haven't played their games. Does the thread have any characters like that?
I hate to be the negative nancy but if Lip isn't playable from the get-go, she probably isn't going to be DLC. A magical girl that most Nintendo fans will probably have no clue of just wouldn't be a good idea to pay extra for. Yeah Roy was DLC but he was popular enough in Melee that people wanted him back despite probably never playing his game of oriign.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I hate to be the negative nancy but if Lip isn't playable from the get-go, she probably isn't going to be DLC. A magical girl that most Nintendo fans will probably have no clue of just wouldn't be a good idea to pay extra for. Yeah Roy was DLC but he was popular enough in Melee that people wanted him back despite probably never playing his game of oriign.
If the demand is high enough; Nintendo will at least listen ;)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Or just change it back to Panel de Pon. Or a cute-sounding diminutive like "PanePon!", or even changing it (almost) completely to "Panel Pop". Anything's better than leaving it at Puzzle League, I've heard it said. Puzzle League is way too generic a name for the series, or for any puzzle game, really.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
IMO if Lip is chosen for DLC I think it would be free DLC. It would be like a KIrby Star Allies situation where they'll get DLC updates-----
Personally I don't think that would work for Smash because Smash is just too profitable! Maybe if Smash has like a poll for a very specific type of character like "Retro", "Puzzle fighters", or "Snes era" then that would make sense for it to be free----

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Or just change it back to Panel de Pon. Or a cute-sounding diminutive like "PanePon!", or even changing it (almost) completely to "Panel Pop". Anything's better than leaving it at Puzzle League, I've heard it said. Puzzle League is way too generic a name for the series, or for any puzzle game, really.
You know how the Panel de Pon logo has the words "Action Puzzle Game" in it in English?

Pantalla_de_titulo_de_Panel_de_Pon.png

How about, you get Panel de Pon (or PanePon, or Panel Pop, or whatever) replacing the Japanese characters, and then have "Action Puzzle League" under it?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That could also work.

...We have good ideas, Nintendo, please hire us.

PsychoJosh

We're gathered here today as we mourn for PsychoJosh, who accidentally uttered a phrase that sent nearly every Bandanna Waddle Dee fan into a violent frenzy and tossed him down a cliff.
I'm perfectly fine since they were all Waddle Dees and I defeated them all in one hit with the most basic abilities I have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom