• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

NukeA6

Smash Master
I was thinking, if Lip got confirmed and she came with an echo, maybe it should be Thanatos (an echo of Bowser) instead of another fairy? For some reason, I think it would make people more interested in Panel de Pon. I mean, he was the villain after all and Cordelia did become evil because of him. This idea makes me curious of what Lip's original game would have been. I keep imagining it would be something like Kid Icarus but getting a bit Castlevania-esque eventually.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That would be incredible, but cross-series echoes are, as far as we know, not a thing.

I feel like Lip's original game would have been an action-adventure game in the vein of Zelda, if not an outright RPG. The character designs just feel right for that kind of game.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Or just change it back to Panel de Pon. Or a cute-sounding diminutive like "PanePon!", or even changing it (almost) completely to "Panel Pop". Anything's better than leaving it at Puzzle League, I've heard it said. Puzzle League is way too generic a name for the series, or for any puzzle game, really.
Actually, I like your name for the Supporters list in the OP: Panel Poppers! :grin: That would make the best name! :grin:

Has this been shared here before?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Actually, I like your name for the Supporters list in the OP: Panel Poppers! :grin: That would make the best name! :grin:

Has this been shared here before?
Nope. I now understand more of the high hope for Lip. I'm gonna assume the pacifier isn't part of her getup for Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Nope. I now understand more of the high hope for Lip. I'm gonna assume the pacifier isn't part of her getup for Animal Crossing.
No it's not. The costume is just the wig, dress, and wand. I guess he's using the pacifier to be silly?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I think the pacifier is cute and fits along with the color scheme of Lip's outfit quite well; that's prolly why they did it. :awesome:
I tried to find some other vids like this that show cased the whole of panel de pon in animal crossing, but none of them worked as well as this one.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lippy is far too old for a pacifier though. I always assumed her to be 10-12 going off how she acts in the game and most fan works (the ones that exist anyway).

Of course, you're probably right and it was just chosen to match the color scheme of the outfit. Though why they didn't use the wand is beyond me.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If Lip gets in; I think her and Pit would make very cute friends, personally. Does anyone else see this?
Well, they're both characters from Gunpei Yokoi games based on mythological figures with three-letter names. I can see it working out for them.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Well that was anti-climatic. With Thanatos and his minions representing mythological characters and Cordelia being a Shakespeare character, I thought Lip might've meant something. I guess not.

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
Ah, since Pit was based off Icarus; I thought maybe Lip was based on some Japanese Folklore Fairy or somthing lol.
On Touhou, which is kinda based on Japanese folklore, fairies are elementals of things like cold, seasons, and other nature stuff. They are inmortal, reforming as long as their element exists; maybe they share a common source with Lip's concept? The japanese word for fairy, Yosei, is also used for an specific creature of their folklore. Perhaps there's something there?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Lippy is far too old for a pacifier though. I always assumed her to be 10-12 going off how she acts in the game and most fan works (the ones that exist anyway).

Of course, you're probably right and it was just chosen to match the color scheme of the outfit. Though why they didn't use the wand is beyond me.
Too old for a paci but not too old for a cute nickname like Lippy (.^ ^.) Well, perhaps she's just planning on rocking out at a rave later, who knows? They have those in Animal Crossing right? lul~
I always thouht that that Lip, as a fairy, transcended something like age. I expect she just represents the blooming of nature or the dawn of early spring, so that makes her timeless.

If you look more closely, you'll see they equip Lip's wand in the beginning while they're outside. The paci counts as a hair accessory, while Lip's Stick counts as an umbrella. That's why you can't see it for most of the video.
If Lip gets in; I think her and Pit would make very cute friends, personally. Does anyone else see this?
Heck yeah~ i think Lip can make friends with anyone~<3
On Touhou, which is kinda based on Japanese folklore, fairies are elementals of things like cold, seasons, and other nature stuff. They are inmortal, reforming as long as their element exists; maybe they share a common source with Lip's concept? The japanese word for fairy, Yosei, is also used for an specific creature of their folklore. Perhaps there's something there?
Yeah that's what i meant with Lip and her age. Spring and flowers are always fresh and new while they exist, so Lip will only appear eternally young while humans continue to take care of the Earth; she continues to be a timeless concept ^^

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Even Ganondorf? To be honest, I'd like to see that just for laughs.
There's an event in SSB4 where you play as Rosalina, and you have to use Lip's Stick to put flowers on Ganondorf and Bowser's heads. Maybe Lip would do something like that to them, since it's a friendly competition and she's not taking it too seriously.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Hello everyone; not much to add to the ongoing conversation at the moment, but I do have this drawing to show off:

I had a chance to commission RayDango, a popular Miiverse (RIP oh beloved site) artist who now has a DeviantART account, and when he said he preferred drawing female video game characters I immediately thought of Lip. Oh, and don't worry, I did get permission "Sure!,is your comm,feel free tou post it in your social media and forums
"

Seeing the comment section for it is quite nice; she's been received well and a few folks even recognise her. That said, one person did say Lip looks like a daughter of Daisy... pretty funny given the earlier comments about Daisy here.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's such a cute picture! I'm glad other people are slowly starting to realize who Lip is. We're making changes one small step at a time.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Likely Geno is going to get in as a Ballot Pick, not as the Retro rep. Just my opinion.
Because of the Ballot? Not likely. The Ballot might just been a great bargain chip against Square to give them a reality check on how populare the character is.
If Geno is part of the game then it's because it IS a Sakurai choice. Sakurai have been wanting Geno as part of the game since Brawl. Square has just never been on board or something. Now that Cloud is in, Square is finally willing to play ball. Therefore, if Geno is part of the game, it's not a Ballot pick, but a Sakurai pick.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Because of the Ballot? Not likely. The Ballot might just been a great bargain chip against Square to give them a reality check on how populare the character is.
If Geno is part of the game then it's because it IS a Sakurai choice. Sakurai have been wanting Geno as part of the game since Brawl. Square has just never been on board or something. Now that Cloud is in, Square is finally willing to play ball. Therefore, if Geno is part of the game, it's not a Ballot pick, but a Sakurai pick.
Remember, though, that this is the same company that only gave us two songs for SSB4 for unclear reasons, which has apparently not changed for Ultimate. Geno's cameo also went missing from the Superstar Saga remake for unclear reasons that likely have to do with backstage politics. It's really only popularity that Geno can coast by on.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Awww dammit no! I guess the Superstar Saga remake is a bit less special now. I don't mind as long as Geno is in Smash Bros. Probably the wrong thread to say that but I will always support the beloved flower fairy:

lip_the_flower_fairy_by_riadorana-d4iz0nr.png

And I just learned (and noticed) that she is left-handed much like Link is. It must have been obscure because it was forgotten in her official art and Captain Rainbow.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip is right-handed. It only looks like she's left-handed in-game because if Player 1 is playing as her, her board background artwork is flipped. Don't think I don't know my fairy lore.

The more important question...why does she have wings in that picture?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am getting pretty burnt out by the constant "Just because there is a retro every Smash, does not mean there will be one in Ultimate" argument today. People use the ballot for candidates that seemed impossible like old characters from established franchises (Geno), dormant/declining franchises from the 2000s era (Isaac/Chibi Robo), and third-parties (Banjo-Kazooie), but I think that the ballot will also heavily influence who gets in as a retro too, regardless of the retro candidate was from a Japan-only game, which is considered an "impossible" task to many now that Takamaru is disconfirmed. It is a possibility that never gets the proper discussion that I think is very plausible, but retros are often in the sidelines with the community now with people thinking that Isaac, Banjo, Incineroar, Isabelle, Shadow, Waddle Dee, and Geno are the only candidates with a real chance. I wish more people opened up to other possibilities. :/

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The Smash community being narrow-minded about what characters "have a chance" is nothing new. Before Smash Ultimate was revealed and Takamaru was confirmed an Assist Trophy, everyone thought he was the only logical choice for a retro representative. Now the only character anyone is really pushing for that could conceivably be called "retro" is Geno, and he's from an established, popular franchise so I'm not even sure if he counts. Even before Lip's Stick was revealed, I barely saw anyone outside of SmashBoards and occasionally 4chan pushing for ol' Lippy. People had that little faith in her, I guess.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I dunno if you guys saw this; but there's a little poll for retro reps on the thread and Lip is currently sweeping the floor, double the votes of the second place winner currently. Maybe she isn't as unlikely as you guys think? ;3

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Hi, I'd like to know something about Lip's Stick:

Everyone's saying that Lip is deconfirmed because Lip's Stick is still an item, though I looked at the Smash site and I can't find it, I searched in the old and new items, and in the articles related to items too, and I found nothing... maybe it's just me.

I have seen screenshots of characters with a flower on their head posted, but I was unable to find them on the official site.

So what's going on? After a small research (like 30 seconds) I found a photo of Richter using the wand, but I can find very little informations about it.
Is it only because it has not been officially announced yet but has appeared in some screenshots regardless? Or am I missing something?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Everyone's saying that Lip is deconfirmed because Lip's Stick is still an item, though I looked at the Smash site and I can't find it, I searched in the old and new items, and in the articles related to items too, and I found nothing... maybe it's just me.

I have seen screenshots of characters with a flower on their head posted, but I was unable to find them on the official site.

So what's going on? After a small research (like 30 seconds) I found a photo of Richter using the wand, but I can find very little informations about it.
Is it only because it has not been officially announced yet but has appeared in some screenshots regardless? Or am I missing something?
It's only confirmed through Richter's photos, yes.
It's not officially revealed yet, but most items from previous games are not, so it makes sense.

Still, we are very few which believe the Lip's stick deconfirms her.

NukeA6

Smash Master

The Screw Attack item also means Samus is no longer playable and has been moved to Assist trophy status. Seriously, I hope Lip is playable so all these nay-sayers can eat their own words. It's people like them that make me want Skull Kid, edgey Sonic, and the "goomba with a hat" as disconfirmed characters because they are all the most wanted from these character-bashers.

Last edited:

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
The Screw Attack item also means Samus is no longer playable and has been moved to Assist trophy status. Seriously, I hope Lip is playable so all these nay-sayers can eat their own words. It's people like them that make me want Skull Kid, edgey Sonic, and the "goomba with a hat" as disconfirmed characters because they are all the most wanted from these character-bashers.
Well, I agree that the item situation is essentially unique, and in a game where Marth and Chrom can face each other, wielding the same legendary weapon, the argument is slightly weakened. That's not a nice attitude to have either way, since that sort of views justify each other, and bring the level of discourse down.

Also, could you Please spoiler that pic, at the very least? It's on the wrong edge of SFW, I think.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Yeah I know she's not deconfirmed yet, it's just that I saw a lot of people using that as an argument...
When I said "everyone" I didn't mean it to be taken literally, I meant "a lot of people".

Thank you anyway.

If the item is not announced yet, there's always the possibility that the item will be introduced the same day when the character is also announced, so it's not an hopeless situation yet.

Top Bottom