• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

zferolie

Smash Hero
From what I remember she didn't have too much of a presence. At least she made the Top 100 of this Source Gaming voting compilation:
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/
Well, thats to be expected of a character like her. I think she is still one of the front runners for a retro choice. Ayumi and Mach Rider may be higher though due to Sakurai actually saying he wanted them at 1 point, but she is in the top 5 likeliest choices.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I mean, who would have ever thought'd we'd get a follow-up to the same "unexpected truth" behind Imajin and his Arab family from Doki Doki Panic?

I certainly didn't.
Yeah, its very strange. Panel de Pon jumping protagonists for installments makes sense now maybe in this context.

SFC: Lip & Friends
SNES: Yoshi & Friends
GB: Yoshi & Friends
GBC: Pokemon
N64: Pokemon
GCN: Lip & Friends (with name changes)
GBA: No one here but generic themes
DS: Generic themes but now outer space flavored
3DS: Animal Crossing

So if you look at it Panel de Pon actually has four playable representatives in Smash Bros.: Yoshi, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager./sarcasm

Still, I wonder if the intention from the very beginning was to cycle the series between protagonists. Not even the second game to actually use the fairies uses the same fairies (even though they look very similar to the original protagonists). It could be the same deal as Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, two other Intelligent Systems developed series, where the protagonists only star in one or two games.

It still would be nice to have a new stand alone Panel de Pon game released. It was neat that the series was actually remembered and including as a pretty fleshed out minigame for Animal Crossing New Leaf, but the series definitely deserves more recognition than that.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah, its very strange. Panel de Pon jumping protagonists for installments makes sense now maybe in this context.

So if you look at it Panel de Pon actually has four playable representatives in Smash Bros.: Yoshi, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager./sarcasm
I think one of the tips for Yoshi mentions how he has "three puzzle games", mentioning Tetris Attack. *Sheepish laughter*

Still, I wonder if the intention from the very beginning was to cycle the series between protagonists. Not even the second game to actually use the fairies uses the same fairies (even though they look very similar to the original protagonists). It could be the same deal as Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, two other Intelligent Systems developed series, where the protagonists only star in one or two games.
Either that was because they felt Fairies were like a beginning of that set, but then would be cycled in the next game.

Anyway, sounds like it would have been Nintendo's own "Tetris", so to speak? IDK if they succeeded on that, or just failed really badly, considering how the series today. :confused:

It still would be nice to have a new stand alone Panel de Pon game released. It was neat that the series was actually remembered and including as a pretty fleshed out minigame for Animal Crossing New Leaf, but the series definitely deserves more recognition than that.
I mean it's tad watered down, but it's been pretty neat handwave, especially in the prices-territory. Clear Lines-mode as the main form of playing against other Villagers in Story Mode feels pretty downgraded from the actual series...

But like N N. Onymous has said many times before, times have changed so much vastly since how Tetris Attack became to be - the Fairies are in much better position to be marketed around incase we get a PdP-revival (and it's given as much push as Splatoon).

And incase it's meant to be pushed as an interchangeable puzzler between IPs, maybe they could turn to a crossover with the previous Nintendo-IPs - but again that'd take spotlight away from the fairies, probably.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
So... what if Arle Nadja became the newcomer and Lip is the echo? I mean, she's been around longer and is similar to her in many ways. They could even be sisters since Arle stars in a puzzle game series (complete with garbage-dumping and characters replaced with other Nintendo characters) and even has a wand.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, this place blew up.

The impression I got from the translated Wikipedia article isn't that Tetris Attack was the original idea for the game, but rather that Yamagami thought that the characters could become more popular than Mario and Yoshi. Which makes it ironic that Yoshi ended up replacing Lip in the end, even in the public eye. ChronoBound ChronoBound seems to have misunderstood the quote, but BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 got it right when he said "Lip was meant to be a big icon amongst the likes of Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong".

Last edited:

kafke

Smash Apprentice
No, the original intention for Panel de Pon was that the protagonists would be Mario and/or Yoshi. Funny how it worked out in the end (at least outside Japan). I think even in Japan, the Game Boy version of Panel de Pon was called Yoshi's Panel de Pon.
Wrong. Panel de Pon w/ Fairies was the original plan. Yoshi was only added once the game was localized. We see proof of this in every release. Japan didn't even get entries like Tetris Attack (w/ Yoshi) since that was developed after. They didn't get Pokemon Puzzle League (again, a western rework). They did get Yoshi no Panepon which is a translated version of Tetris Attack, but it was renamed (they lacked the Tetris name), and it was much later.

Now it all makes sense why Lip and her fairies haven't been showing up too much, they were all hijackers from the start. Makes me wonder if she should do some of that in Smash Bros like hi-jacking characters, Captain Ginyu style.
Except they weren't. The designer of them was saying they could be as big as Mario or Yoshi. Not that Panel de Pon was a Yoshi game. Realistically, without our fairy cast we already know what we get: nothing. Just a bland plain puzzle game. If it was a Yoshi game, why not do that instead of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and literally nothing? Because it ****ing wasn't.

My goodness...
Wow, so Lip and her friends hijacked PdP from the beginning, and Yoshi (at the very least) decided o pay her back in kind. Still want Lip for Smash, but... man, the deliciously interesting irony of it all.

Also, non-PdP/Lip for Smash related, but I'm officially 10 episodes away from the end of Smile PreCure! It's been a pretty fun ride, I have to admit!
Wrong. It was Yoshi/Pokemon/etc. that hijacked the series. Every PDP game has started out with Lip. Literally every single one of them.

So...the series has actually been soulless from the start, and it didn't reveal its true colors until Planet Puzzle League.

My God, the fairies really are unwanted. No one wants to do anything with them since they're not owned by anyone but the character designer.
About as soulless as Jumpman and Link. Yes. The games were designed mechanics-first like every nintendo game. And then later characters were added to make a theme/story/etc. It's "true colors" are Lip&Friends. Because those were the characters designed for the game.

Well, at least we have that one game with squid kids that could very well been ANOTHER Mario-title and ALSO a failed attempt to be it's own thing instead of getting hijacked in the future...

In all seriousness, I don't think this is probably as "nasty" as we should be taking it. Surely this might have been the case of many other chars we've seen to this point in more successful games, among many other factors.

Besides, why not look at a rather interesting silver lining here?

Panel De Pon is still sorta walking on a weird road of being a puzzler that has been "practiced" about in various Nintendo-IPs, like Yoshi and his friends, Ash and his friends, and Animal Villagers in some isolated world of their own - and then there's not been anyone shown to do anything.

And within all those, the ongoing "mascot", the recurring character has indisputably been:

So yeah, I don't think this really... "changes" anything. In fact, it makes all of this even more interesting with case of Lip's overall conception and history to this day.

She's a de-facto "Forgotten Nintendo-character" enough to be on Captain Rainbow, but like, if she managed to stick this long around as an overall presence, being always slipped in as a tribute to this point- then that makes her the true star of the it still. I mean, since Puzzle Challenge cut content, the way Lip got thrown back has just gotten increasingly better and better (marginally, but better)

But think. We could have never seen her if things went the way they did.

The fact that she managed to win over guys who thought Mario or Yoshi were going to be better (arguably), is pretty damn impressive. And if that wasn't enough, there's apparently some devs still appreciating her enough to plant on the seeds of her presence in games she's not even appearing physically.

It tells a lot about Lip's very untapped potential, even if it's of course, laid in grave ignorance throughout the years of it. (Well, I've been kinda part of that train too., not gonna lie).
Wrong. Yoshi was only added when Tetris Attack was made as a branding move in the west. There's no residual yoshi data in pdp. it's the other way around. As for the fairies, they make an appearance in every single entry. Let's get a brief actual history:

PDP developed as the game we all know and love. Yoshi wasn't even thought of at this point.

PDP comes to the west and the fairies were scrapped. We can see edited versions of the fairy sprites in Tetris Attack. We have literal PDP music in Tetris attack.

Tetris Attack finally releases in Japan, called Yoshi no Panepon. Basically a translation of the western release which was translated from PDP.

Panel de Pon GB then started development. Upon nearly completing it, it was scrapped for Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (No Yoshi because PDP isn't yoshi). PDP GB is merely a port of Panel de Pon SFC with some added content. But it's final release appears as a new game because it was rebranded. But if you look at the design, it's very obvious (not to mention all of the content we dug up).

Panel de Pon N64 started around the same time and later was scrapped and became Pokemon Puzzle League. Both pokemon games were made at the same time. PPC by Japan, PPL's localization by America. PPC was released in Japan and later translated to the US. PPL was never localized in Japan.

Panel de Pon N64 was picked up again, and ported to the gamecube to be included as a part of the Nintendo Puzzle Collection. The original cast was going to be Lip+friends before they got a redesign and became the descendents. Alongside this, they made a new Panel de Pon game, Panel de Pon GBA. This was a multiboot rom pack-in game, also on the puzzle collection.

Shortly after, Dr Mario & Puzzle League was released. Featuring another new game, this time being generic without a PDP theme. The engine borrows from PDP gba, features pdp gba as a pack-in, and includes various backgrounds that were in pdp gba. PDP GBA was localized and released in the US as a result.

The DS rolls around and PDP was released yet again for the DS. This time, Lip was included as a background. Yet again, cut from the western release.

And finally we get Animal Crossing Puzzle League. This one is AC themed for the obvious reason, but we do get a Lip outfit (not a yoshi outfit).

TLDR: Lip was set to appear in every single PDP game, but was later scrapped due to pressures by NoA. So please stop this nonsense with saying Yoshi is the main character. Yoshi appears in a single entry that wasn't even made by NoJ.

It's not strange. Here's the actual list before western tampering:
SNES: Didn't exist.
GB: NoJ's port of Yoshi no Panepon, which was a translation of a localization.
GBC: Lip & Friends + Expanded content.
N64: Lip & Friends + Expanded content redesigned.
GCN: Port of Lip & Friends + Expanded content redesigned.
GBA: Pupuri (from GCN)
DS: Lip included, but indeed a generic theme.
3DS: Lip included, but given it's an AC minigame we expect it to be AC.

Looks very straight forward to me.

Still, I wonder if the intention from the very beginning was to cycle the series between protagonists.
It was not. Every single entry started as PDP and later scrapped fairies.

Either that was because they felt Fairies were like a beginning of that set, but then would be cycled in the next game.
Wrong. The second game developed was PDP GB, which was a port of the SFC game with expanded content. After that was PDP N64, which originally had Lip&Friends but likely was redesigned to the new GCN content (as the game was finally ported to GCN). So our GCN release was actually the 3rd game in the series.

Well, this place blew up.

The impression I got from the translated Wikipedia article isn't that Tetris Attack was the original idea for the game, but rather that Yamagami thought that the characters could become more popular than Mario and Yoshi. Which makes it ironic that Yoshi ended up replacing Lip in the end, even in the public eye. ChronoBound ChronoBound seems to have misunderstood the quote, but BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 got it right when he said "Lip was meant to be a big icon amongst the likes of Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong".

This. The original designer felt Lip and Panel De Pon would become an icon series. Like Mario, Yoshi, DK, Pokemon. And I think all PDP fans feel the same way if the series was just given a chance. More evidence for this is the fact that every single game originally starred lip, but was then scrapped or rebranded.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wrong. Panel de Pon w/ Fairies was the original plan. Yoshi was only added once the game was localized. We see proof of this in every release. Japan didn't even get entries like Tetris Attack (w/ Yoshi) since that was developed after. They didn't get Pokemon Puzzle League (again, a western rework). They did get Yoshi no Panepon which is a translated version of Tetris Attack, but it was renamed (they lacked the Tetris name), and it was much later.
I will quote the translation that N. Onymous provided:
These characters were not originally created for Panel de Pon, but for a rejected project by Muramatsu. Yamagami, upon learning about these characters, felt they could replace the likes of Mario and Yoshi [ooh er] and approached [Gunpei] Yokoi with them. Upon seeing the characters, he reportedly replied with "these?" and looked displeased at first, but ultimately approved them to be used[...]

From the wording it sounds like the original plan was Mario or Yoshi as the protagonists (this also happened for Super Mario Bros. 2 as was previously mentioned, it was originally planned to star Mario as the protagonist, but then reworked to have different protagonists when Fuji Television approached them to make a game starring the mascots for their upcoming festival of that year).

And even if you believe your own interpretation of that quote, there is nothing indicating whether your own interpretation trumps mine (or vice versa), so its basically open to speculation, so I cannot be "wrong".

N. Onymous, did that quote on the Japanese Panel de Pon article come with a source citation?

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I will quote the translation that N. Onymous provided:
These characters were not originally created for Panel de Pon, but for a rejected project by Muramatsu. Yamagami, upon learning about these characters, felt they could replace the likes of Mario and Yoshi [ooh er] and approached [Gunpei] Yokoi with them. Upon seeing the characters, he reportedly replied with "these?" and looked displeased at first, but ultimately approved them to be used[...]

From the wording it sounds like the original plan was Mario or Yoshi as the protagonists (this also happened for Super Mario Bros. 2 as was previously mentioned, it was originally planned to star Mario as the protagonist, but then reworked to have different protagonists when Fuji Television approached them to make a game starring the mascots for their upcoming festival of that year).

And even if you believe your own interpretation of that quote, there is nothing indicating whether your own interpretation trumps mine (or vice versa), so its basically open to speculation, so I cannot be "wrong".

N. Onymous, did that quote on the Japanese Panel de Pon article come with a source citation?
It's hard to say how the development actually went. The original interview was talking about the impact of the characters, not PDP itself. The characters were designed separately from the original base game. And the designer requested them to be a part of PDP. The view was that the PDP cast was better than Mario or Yoshi, which is why they deserve to be in a game. Not why they deserve to replace a yoshi game (which there's no reason to believe PDP was). But rather that they deserve to be characters as part of the Nintendo cast.

The reality is... if it was a Yoshi game, we'd expect to see residual yoshi files in the rom. We'd expect yoshi music to be used. We'd expect Tetris Attack (not even a yoshi name) to be released first. Yet we see none of this. What we actually see is PDP with a long beautiful history that has nothing to do with Yoshi. All the games are original. There's no yoshi content anywhere in sight. And when fairies are scrapped, we don't see Yoshi as the backup. We see: pokemon, nothing, animal crossing, etc. If it were originally a yoshi game, why not just use yoshi for these non-fairy versions? Because Yoshi being the PDP star was a rebranding idea by NoA. NoJ had no part in it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It was sourced, yes. I worded the translation the way I did because the phrasing used implied that "would become more popular than" was the intended meaning, instead of "would replace them in an upcoming game, i.e. what ended up becoming Panel de Pon"

NukeA6

Smash Master
Except they weren't. The designer of them was saying they could be as big as Mario or Yoshi. Not that Panel de Pon was a Yoshi game. Realistically, without our fairy cast we already know what we get: nothing. Just a bland plain puzzle game. If it was a Yoshi game, why not do that instead of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and literally nothing? Because it ****ing wasn't.
Imagine being this upset over a little misunderstanding. Well Smash Bros is their last chance for them to get some fame. It did wonders for Fire Emblem and I'm hoping Panel de Pon gets the same and whatever the planned game was gonna be.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
Imagine being this upset over a little misunderstanding. Well Smash Bros is their last chance for them to get some fame. It did wonders for Fire Emblem and I'm hoping Panel de Pon gets the same and whatever the planned game was gonna be.
It's such a pervasive myth and it's just annoying. People see a misinterpreted interview and go "whelp I guess PDP is just a ****ty rebranding" which is entirely incorrect. Imagine someone looks at mario and goes: "Well Mario just hijacked Donkey Kong's series! Donkey Kong is the true star!" It's just pure nonsense.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The reality is... if it was a Yoshi game, we'd expect to see residual yoshi files in the rom. We'd expect yoshi music to be used. We'd expect Tetris Attack (not even a yoshi name) to be released first. Yet we see none of this. What we actually see is PDP with a long beautiful history that has nothing to do with Yoshi. All the games are original. There's no yoshi content anywhere in sight. And when fairies are scrapped, we don't see Yoshi as the backup. We see: pokemon, nothing, animal crossing, etc. If it were originally a yoshi game, why not just use yoshi for these non-fairy versions? Because Yoshi being the PDP star was a rebranding idea by NoA. NoJ had no part in it.
It was likely that Mario or Yoshi were the protagonists in the original planning stage. Keep in mind Nintendo's history at the time was to attach those characters to any puzzle ideas they had (or throw Mario series characters in like Toad, Wario, and Birdo for Wario's Woods). Yoshi was probably in just as much consideration for the time as Mario due to Yoshi's Island's release in early 1995, which proved to be a big hit in both acclaim and sales.

Look at all the puzzle games which they decided to anchor Mario and/or Yoshi to (or Mario characters) in the lead up to Panel de Pon:

Dr. Mario - 1990
Yoshi (Mario & Yoshi) - 1992
Yoshi's Cookie - 1993
Wario's Woods - 1994
Picross (a Mario themed Picross game was released for both the Game Boy and SNES) - 1995

It is very obvious to see that Mario and/or Yoshi were initially planned to be the protagonists for Panel de Pon when Nintendo was doing this for nearly every year leading up to Panel de Pon.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yoshi's Island had been in development since 1991-1992-ish. It would have been undergoing development at the same time as Panel de Pon. There's no way they could have possibly known how successful Yoshi's Island was going to be.

Even if Panel de Pon was going to be a Yoshi game at first (it wasn't)...so what? Who cares? One of the ideas bussed around for Splatoon was a spinoff game where you played as Mario and Yoshi, and that idea got far enough along to have a workable prototype made. Does that makes Splatoon a "soulless corporate rebranding"? Hell no! In fact, Splatoon is one of the most successful IPs Nintendo's had in years due to how much crossover appeal it has to people of different demographics and cultures across the planet. If anything, that should be a point in Panel de Pon's favor.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yoshi's Island had been in development since 1991-1992-ish. It would have been undergoing development at the same time as Panel de Pon. There's no way they could have possibly known how successful Yoshi's Island was going to be.
Yoshi's Island released in March 1995, and Panel de Pon was released in October 1995. I am not sure how long the development cycle was for a SNES/SFC puzzle game, but I imagine that it was only a year to a year and a half, considering a big budget game like Chrono Trigger was only made in a year.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yeah I have no idea where you guys are getting that Lip "hijacked" her role from Yoshi and Mario. It just makes it seem like you all lack reading comprehension.

It clearly said that Lip and her friends were designed as potential stars for another type of game and their creator was excited thinking that they could become as popular as Yoshi and Mario if done right. Nowhere does it say that Lip assumed her role as the star of PDP in place of Mario. He said that these characters could "replace Mario and Yoshi", as in, supersede them in popularity.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yoshi's Island released in March 1995, and Panel de Pon was released in October 1995. I am not sure how long the development cycle was for a SNES/SFC puzzle game, but I imagine that it was only a year to a year and a half, considering a big budget game like Chrono Trigger was only made in a year.
I think you're vastly underestimating the work that goes into a video game, even back in the SNES days. If I had to make an estimate, Panel de Pon was in development since 1994 at the latest.

So, does lip have a chance?
Depends. I've heard it said no since some people believe Ultimate is focusing more on international appeal and Lip's Stick is still in the game, I've heard it said yes because of all of the crazy things Ultimate is doing as well as the flower being redesigned. We'll just have to see.

Last edited:

kafke

Smash Apprentice
It was likely that Mario or Yoshi were the protagonists in the original planning stage. Keep in mind Nintendo's history at the time was to attach those characters to any puzzle ideas they had (or throw Mario series characters in like Toad, Wario, and Birdo for Wario's Woods). Yoshi was probably in just as much consideration for the time as Mario due to Yoshi's Island's release in early 1995, which proved to be a big hit in both acclaim and sales.

Look at all the puzzle games which they decided to anchor Mario and/or Yoshi to (or Mario characters) in the lead up to Panel de Pon:

Dr. Mario - 1990
Yoshi (Mario & Yoshi) - 1992
Yoshi's Cookie - 1993
Wario's Woods - 1994
Picross (a Mario themed Picross game was released for both the Game Boy and SNES) - 1995

It is very obvious to see that Mario and/or Yoshi were initially planned to be the protagonists for Panel de Pon when Nintendo was doing this for nearly every year leading up to Panel de Pon.
Except we've already seen PDP without a skin. It's just generic. It happened in Dr Mario&Puzzle League, as well as Planet Puzzle League. Neither of these games are Yoshi. If PDP characters were never introduced would the game turned out as Yoshi? We don't know. The evidence so far says no. All the music is original. All the art is original. Original story. The developers very much enjoy PDP and never even gave a shoutout to yoshi. Never made it clear it was ever going to be a yoshi game. And NoA actually had to do work to skin over yoshi. As we can see with their lazy rebranding. if there were yoshi assets, why not use them instead of the pdp ones?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah I have no idea where you guys are getting that Lip "hijacked" her role from Yoshi and Mario. It just makes it seem like you all lack reading comprehension.

It clearly said that Lip and her friends were designed as potential stars for another type of game and their creator was excited thinking that they could become as popular as Yoshi and Mario if done right. Which sadly never happened. But nowhere does it say that Lip assumed her role as the star of PDP in place of Mario.
I never said hijacked or usurped, that was the language of others. It is pretty clear that the original plan though was to have Mario and/or Yoshi lead, as what was Nintendo's modus operandi with puzzle games in the 1990's. The character designer for Lip and friends successfully pitched them to have it be an original cast instead, and the rest is history.

I think you're vastly underestimating the work that goes into a video game, even back in the SNES days. If I had to make an estimate, Panel de Pon was in development since 1994 at the latest.
I know there were SNES titles that had lengthy development cycles (EarthBound probably being the most infamous, which had a five year development hell, and Iwata actually had to swoop in and save the game from being cancelled). However, it seems the development cycle for most SNES games was only a year (also see the DKC sequels).

Except we've already seen PDP without a skin. It's just generic. It happened in Dr Mario&Puzzle League, as well as Planet Puzzle League. Neither of these games are Yoshi. If PDP characters were never introduced would the game turned out as Yoshi? We don't know. The evidence so far says no. All the music is original. All the art is original. Original story. The developers very much enjoy PDP and never even gave a shoutout to yoshi. Never made it clear it was ever going to be a yoshi game. And NoA actually had to do work to skin over yoshi. As we can see with their lazy rebranding. if there were yoshi assets, why not use them instead of the pdp ones?
I never said Yoshi was intended to be the protagonist of the entire series, but rather in the initial planning it was probably planned to have Mario or Yoshi as the protagonist. I do not understand why you are getting apprehensive about this. I am a fan of Tetris Attack and Panel de Pon to the point I even imported the GameCube game (the only home console game outside the SNES/SFC I have ever imported). I love the series for the gameplay and music.

The series has a very interesting history, and unfortunately, like real history, there might be uncomfortable facts. I never claimed Lip was "illegitimate", but rather made a theory about whether the series had an intention from the get go to rotate its themes with installments like Fire Emblem and Famicom/Advance Wars, which are all developed by Intelligent Systems.

Last edited:

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I never said hijacked or usurped, that was the language of others. It is pretty clear that the original plan though was to have Mario and/or Yoshi lead, as what was Nintendo's modus operandi with puzzle games in the 1990's. The character designer for Lip and friends successfully pitched them to have it be an original cast instead, and the rest is history.
If that was the plan, why were no Yoshi assets and no mario assets used for the western localization where we actually got Yoshi? Why just make crappy edits of PDP sprites?

I never said Yoshi was intended to be the protagonist of the entire series, but rather in the initial planning it was probably planned to have Mario or Yoshi as the protagonist. I do not understand why you are getting apprehensive about this. I am a fan of Tetris Attack and Panel de Pon to the point I even imported the GameCube game (the only home console game outside the SNES/SFC I have ever imported). I love the series for the gameplay and music.
Because I just don't see it. It's very clear the series was PDP, and then continually reskinned. Not the other way around. Why is there a flower castle in Tetris Attack? Is that a Yoshi thing? What about all these floating islands? All yoshi stuff? Why doesn't it look like the rest of the Yoshi games? Hmmm....

The series has a very interesting history, and unfortunately, like real history, there might be uncomfortable facts. I never claimed Lip was "illegitimate", but rather made a theory about whether the series had an intention from the get go to rotate its themes with installments like Fire Emblem and Famicom/Advance Wars, which are all developed by Intelligent Systems.
It's very obvious that the reskins were pushed by NoA, not NoJ. There's no "rotation".

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The Wikipedia article in question mentions that Yokoi allowed Yamagami (who was not the character designer for the SNES game, incidentally) to work on a game featuring the fairy characters, not to use them for an upcoming game that had already been designed. It's incredibly likely the fairy theme was the initial one.

I know there were SNES titles that had lengthy development cycles (EarthBound probably being the most infamous, which had a five year development hell, and Iwata actually had to swoop in and save the game from being cancelled). However, it seems the development cycle for most SNES games was only a year (also see the DKC sequels).
You're proving my theory that Panel de Pon was in development since 1994 right by saying this.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If that was the plan, why were no Yoshi assets and no mario assets used for the western localization where we actually got Yoshi? Why just make crappy edits of PDP sprites?

Because I just don't see it. It's very clear the series was PDP, and then continually reskinned. Not the other way around. Why is there a flower castle in Tetris Attack? Is that a Yoshi thing? What about all these floating islands? All yoshi stuff? Why doesn't it look like the rest of the Yoshi games? Hmmm....

It's very obvious that the reskins were pushed by NoA, not NoJ. There's no "rotation".
You are misinterpreting me. I said in the planning stages, meaning before actual programming work was done.

As to the rotating themes between games, I imagine that might have been decided later on. Not initially. The fact that this trend has continued on even into this decade (with the Animal Crossing Puzzle League "installment") might mean that the developers saw the series as being "fungible" in terms of its identity at some point after Tetris Attack's release.

Let us agree to disagree. No need to attack me. If I am continued to be treated this way by Lip supporters, I would like to be removed from the supporter list. I will not be insulted for having my own opinions, especially as such a long time fan of this series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was just about to propose agreeing to disagree. I don't want to alienate other Panepon fans, especially not long-time ones.

I agree with you on the "rotating themes" being decided on later. I just hope that's not a permanent thing. Lippy deserves her time in the sun!

kafke

Smash Apprentice
You are misinterpreting me. I said in the planning stages, meaning before actual programming work was done.
So basically, PDP is less of a Yoshi game than Splatoon is of Mario. AKA not at all whatsoever. But as N. Onymous mentioned, Yoshi wasn't even on the drawing board from what we see. So anything MUST be speculation. All of the interviews, content, etc. we've seen seems to show it was PDP from the start, not Yoshi. It'd be about as accurate as saying it might've been a Wario game. Maybe? We have no proof of it whatsoever, and there's no reason to believe it. It's baseless speculation.

As to the rotating themes between games, I imagine that might have been decided later on. Not initially. The fact that this trend has continued on even into this decade (with the Animal Crossing Puzzle League "installment") might mean that the developers saw the series as being "fungible" in terms of its identity at some point after Tetris Attack's release.
Nope. In fact the only thing that's really in debate here is the first game. As I pointed out, every single other game in the series was planned to be PDP from the start. At this moment, the only thing in debate is whether PDP were the original idea, or whether something else was there. Whether that thing was Mario, Yoshi, Wario, Zelda. There's no way to know. And realistically, all the evidence points to PDP being a unique game. Not anything else.

Best way of putting it like this. PDP was "going to be Yoshi" about as much as Splatoon was "going to be Yoshi". Less so, actually.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
\ It's baseless speculation..
Its not baseless speculation. My reading and interpretation of that quote (as well as others) see it as their initial plan was it to be Mario or Yoshi lead like their other puzzle games of the 1990's. You seem to take that as a personal affront.

Your aggression is turning me away from ever wanting to offer any insight or support to Panel de Pon or Lip fans in general.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
Its not baseless speculation. My reading and interpretation of that quote (as well as others) see it as their initial plan was it to be Mario or Yoshi lead like their other puzzle games of the 1990's. You seem to take that as a personal affront.

Your aggression is turning me away from ever wanting to offer any insight or support to Panel de Pon or Lip fans in general.
I'm not seeing it. The quote clearly is talking about the potential of the characters and isn't talking about PDP at all. As for your support... honestly it just looks like you're biased against PDP. Yoshi fan?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I agree that it's a reasonable assumption to make based on Nintendo's history of in-house puzzle games throughout the 1990s. I don't agree with your point of view for a variety of reasons, but I don't think less of you for thinking it. Let's agree to disagree, let bygones be bygones, and move on.

In light of this new revelation, I'm gonna pop a question: If Lip were appear to any genre of game that isn't a puzzle game (owing to her everyman status and Panel de Pon not being the original concept for her game), what do you think it would be? I've been very vocal in my opinion that Lippy and friends should star in an RPG, but a platformer or even a sports game would be nice too.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for your support... honestly it just looks like you're biased against PDP. Yoshi fan?
How can I be biased against Panel de Pon when I literally bought two Panel de Pon games within the past year alone (Pokemon Puzzle League and Nintendo Puzzle Collection), have been a regular commenter in the Panel de Pon/Lip support thread since the pre-Smash 4 days, and myself even made a moveset for Lip.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Actually, I agree with ChronoBound. His love for the series is genuine, and for you to imply otherwise is very rude. Let's drop it and move on.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Since crossovers are popular nowadays, Nintendo should throw in one with Dr. Mario, Puyo Puyo, Panel de Pon, and Tetris. Maybe it's too much but I'd buy that especially if they advertise that by throwing in all the main reps in (in Tetris's case, it's a stage).

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
That argument got way out of hand, we're still a thread about videogame characters, people. There's no need to get so snippy at each other.

If it means anything, Yamagami is the guy who coded Tetris, made Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's cookies for that matter. The quote makes it seem like he liked the designs for a cancelled project, by Toshitaka, so he used them on Panel de Pon, literally his game. Even given the case the project was at any point conceived with anyone else on it, if the director asks for it, then that's the intended design.

In fact: http://timelyhoward.com/?p=104

Here's a translated interview of the design behind Panel de Pon, from back in '97, It's a pretty nice read, they really cared for the game. If you look at part 3, it seems to imply there was never an intention to have it star anyone from another franchise, even if they went through quite a few concepts, starting with a globetrotting adventure. It states that Toshitaka was the designer from the beginng, and made the design for the games.

I'm trying to find the text of the source on the wikipedia page, but thus far there seems to be a bit of a contradiction. Regardless of that, the idea that Yoshi or any other existing IP was in the original concept for the game seems unlikely.

Edit: Toshitaka gets censored, so tried something. Fix the censor system, holy crackers that's dumb.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Before we get too far, I'd like to briefly address both sides of... whatever just happened.

The series has a very interesting history, and unfortunately, like real history, there might be uncomfortable facts.
It's hardly an uncomfortable fact, just a part of design. It's not unusual for things to go through huge changes from the initial scribbles to the final product, or for hundreds of variations on a design to be done and thrown out in favor of one, especially in game design where the gameplay should take priority.

Heck, it's likely that Lip and the fairies went through some huge changes between their initial conception, the pitch that never worked out, and what ended up in Panel de Pon. I know that none of my characters are 100% identical to their original designs, assuming that they weren't scrapped at a later date for whatever reason -- I literally just finalized a redesign of one yesterday.

---

K kafke : PdP was not fairies at the start -- as a matter of fact, it was probably nothing at the start aside from the gameplay. After they figured that out, they started looking into visual design, and given that Mario was (and is) Nintendo's most iconic character, it's entirely possible that they considered it at some point -- but in the end, they chose Lip. The later Western reskin was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Mario was originally supposed to be Popeye. Kirby was intended to be a placeholder. Does that make them any less legitimate? Of course not, and the same applies to her.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter how exactly Lip and co. came to be, just that they exist and that we all see something in her worth supporting.
And with that, I'll drop the topic.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I come back here and yikes, a lot has happened.

So uh, Panel de Pon, eh?

I kinda wish I could play Panel de Pon online with people. I loved playing Pokemon Puzzle League with my brothers all the time, but not only has our N64 kicked the bucket, but they're already busy with life, and not always available to play games with me anymore.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
BGPdpMenu.png main05.jpg untitled.png Pdp_unused_menu_desc2.png PDPDS.jpg 67027-Nintendo_Puzzle_Collection_(NTSC-J)-3.jpg
The series sort of associates itself with stars usually which is a possible Series Icon but the problem is that Kirby already uses it so the 2nd in line from the screenshots is the heart Panel. The star panel is usually the first panel when looking at the boxarts in each Panel de Pon game. The biggest star shown is from the Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon GBA boxart.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The prevailing idea people seem to have for a series icon is the outline of a heart panel, but I hear that might also be a problem since that's apparently the logo of some Japanese website. I did sketch up an idea for a series icon based on Lip's Stick, so I'll have to see if I can find that.

Edit: Found it!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like that may be a little too busy for an icon. Elegance in simplicity.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Might be a bit too close to the Pikmin icon, but...
Not as clean as I'd like because I don't have my tablet at the moment, but not half bad when shrunken down.

With background so they're easier to see:

Edit: Erm. The forum isn't liking the URLs for some reason. They look fine in the preview, but they aren't showing in the post.
Here's the Imgur album instead.

Edit 2: Apparently Imgur was having issues yesterday after maintenance, so that explains the image issue. They'll probably be working later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom