• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I wish jiggs gets reinvented a bit. There are lots of stuff in her movepool that could be implanted in smash.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I know right... I probably am the biggest Duck Hunt Dog supporter but I have to be realistic about his chances in Smash. If the dog is not in the game, I cannot say I'm shocked. Though I would be over the moon if the dog is actually playable in Smash.

I'm right up there with you because I have been supporting Duck Hunt Dog ever since Brawl's announcement, but I'm more of in action with Duck Hunt supporting in NeoGAF rather than here since you already did good job here.

Sad part about Duck Hunt Dog is that he's more likely to be unlockable character so we might have to wait for longer to confirm if he's in or not. After Brawl's situation with unlockable characters, I'm scared to see what we are unlocking.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
An AT would be neat if Sakurai doesn't find the uniqueness of a dog.
Either way he's too iconic in his game, he could be playable in future Smash installments if Sakurai feels like doing so.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
True. Duck Hunt Dog would be really unique, and we can see that Sakurai is looking for unique characters.
Just Imagine DHD using the Ducks in his attacks, just like Rosalina controlls the Luma, or Olimar with Pikmin.
I think it could be done with a great result.

If not and a Assist Trophy.. Wouldn't it be cool if there were a lot of ducks on the screen, and the summoner can use the Wii Remote as aim to fire at incoming ducks? as well as the players? (or should it be an ai shooting?) ~

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ooh heres an idea:
Neutral-B: Roboduck: Duck Hunt Dog sends out a robotic duck that explodes if attacked. Although the dog can also get hit by the explosion too.
Side-B: NES-Zapper: Duck Hunt Dog summons the NES Zapper to quick home and attack the opponent. This attack almost never misses and can also hit the ducks also to make them into a crash bomb.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
With Balloon Fighter and Starfy out of the running, you're my last hope DHG, you can do this ;_;.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
BluePikmin, a robot duck? There are no robot ducks in Duck Hunt. Better use real ducks. :awesome:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So I ended up playing some duck hunt the other day, I work at a retro gaming store and I was testing our zappers. Playing it again made me really want the dog for brawl... Everyone knows duck hunt, he's such a perfect curve ball retro character. come on sakurai.

bennett999

Smash Rookie
ok the Dog from Duck Hunt is a great idea cause he always gave me a headache when he laughed so it would be great payback for me

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a match between Duck Hunt Dog and Captain Falcon on Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Looking at the gameplay of Duck Hunt again, the NES Zapper should have players fall down slowly straight to the ground and make them dizzy just like the ducks when they fall down to the ground.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nah... I like the idea of them being Meteor Smashes... shoot an airborne opponent from the fourth wall (aim with the cursor, release the button to shoot) and it is a Meteor Smash that sends them falling straight down fast... like R.O.B.'s Aerial Down+A move (one of my favorite things about R.O.B.) except it is a projectile... ooooohhhh...!!!!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sure, it is overpowered... but the player still has to aim the cursor to make sure it connects with the opponent.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Something I've been considering:

Rather than a retro, do you think DHD could end up being the representing of the Super Scope and the NES Zapper as a Nintendo Historical representative? Yes I'm aware that 'historical' isn't something that requires representation, but light gun tech was a pretty big deal and is even used today with the Wii gamepads.

Duck Hunt Dog is by far the best character to associate with that sort of thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog is by far the best character to associate with that sort of thing.
Of course he is! That's why I decided to support Duck Hunt Dog way back in 2002 on Nsider... I endured all the flames and ridicule in the first five years (2002 to 2007)... though it was probably because I was shoving my Duck Hunt Dog propaganda in other people's faces back then... but after Brawl came out... and the final roster revealed no playable Duck Hunt Dog... I was very surprised yet very pleased to see many people complaining about the lack of Duck Hunt Dog on the roster... this was in 2008... and after seeing people's reactions over the lack of Duck Hunt Dog, I mellowed out with my Duck Hunt Dog propaganda... I didn't need to go nuts with my propaganda anymore... other people are independently supporting Duck Hunt Dog... and I was very pleased to see that the Smash fans actually added Duck Hunt Dog to Super Smash Bros. Crusade... that, to me, tells me that Duck Hunt Dog does have supporters. I am very happy that I am not alone anymore like I was back in 2002.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You know, I'm kinda scared that Duck Hunt Dog might be a bit too annoying to fight against when I think about it more, I heard that back in the pre-Brawl times that Meta-Knight would be overpowered, and look at him now.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
At first I was very skeptical of Duck Hunt Dog in smash. But after seeing the mod of him in Brawl, I think he deserves a spot. But maybe not in Smash 4, since Nintendo needs a couple of new iconic series under their belt, for the next installments. Also instead of the lightgun as his icon, I think a duck would be better.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's never to late to support someone (until they are deconfirmed).

Welcome to Smashboards btw.

DHD's icon should be the duck, like Crusade did.
Yeah, you are right... a duck makes sense than a Zapper... it is just that I wanted Duck Hunt Dog to have the Zapper icon since I wanted him to represent the NES Zapper games. Also, I updated the OP with this awesome picture I found on DeviantArt.

Credit goes to MrBigTheArtist (on DeviantArt)

:awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know the thing I like about Duck Hunt Dog?

People actually remember him.

He's a retro that people will have seen in their childhood as opposed to the more popular Takamaru(who the west never saw) and Lip(who the west ALSO never saw).

Logically, this snickering hound is the best potential retro because there's a chance you actually played his damn game without a ROM hack, and that his game is so ingrained in popular culture(everyone knows of Duck Hunt) ideally should carry more weight than a character half the world never saw.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that in a way, the Duck Hunt Dog could be something like the Wii Fit Trainer of the NES era... since millions of people bought Wii Fit... but the casual gamers didn't support the Wii Fit Trainer because they aren't Smash speculators but they would certainly recognize both the female and male trainers in SSB4... and the hardcore gamers overlooked the Wii Fit Trainer because they are Smash speculators who want characters who were shown to be fighting so they didn't bother with an exergame that was clearly targeted outside their own demographic group.

And with Duck Hunt Dog... millions of people played Duck Hunt back in the NES days... but the casual gamers aren't supporting the Duck Hunt Dog since they aren't Smash speculators but they definitely would recognize that laughing dog from their childhood in SSB4... and the hardcore gamers are against the Duck Hunt Dog's inclusion because they are Smash speculators who want characters who actually fought in their games so they support Takamaru and Sukapon even though they didn't know they existed prior to the Internet or even Brawl.

If the Wii Fit Trainer got in with a moveset based on exercises and mini-games from Wii Fit games... even with some creative liberties such as flying around with hula hoops and shooting rainbow silhouettes out of her body... then why not the Duck Hunt Dog get in with a moveset based on shooting ducks and clay pigeons from Duck Hunt? That's basically the idea behind my moveset on the first page... that the player plays the Duck Hunt Dog as if he is playing the NES game... shooting ducks and clay pigeons from the fourth wall... with some creative liberties such as flying away with ducks and shooting the dog (finally!).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well it would be pretty cool if duck hunt dog is playable count me in for support

If little mac got in (which I suspected) the duck hunt dog can too especially because of wii fit trainer

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
God. This dog is enriched deep into so many of the people who grew up playing Smash since 64's childhood. If you had a NES at any point. You knew Duck Hhunt. You knew this dog. You loved to hate to love this dog laughing at you.

I support the **** out of a lot of retro reps. They're actually my favorites when it comes to Smash Brothers. It's just so good to see characters that time has ''forgotten" be brought back like that.

The thing is unlike Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Pit (Pre Uprising and Brawl's release), and Ice Climbers just above EVERYONE will remember this dog. Not just die hard Nintendo fans like us that are on this board.

He's so perfect for a Smash Retro rep. I simply just can't see it NOT happening at some point. I'd for it to be this go round though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog is a gaming icon despite having only one game... but he was so memorable that he is ingrained in video game culture.

Now that I finally got two of my most-wanted retro characters in Smash (Pit and Little Mac), all that's left is the Duck Hunt Dog.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bump... sorry for the double post... but I wanted to show you this... please go to 7:45

That's what I had in mind for the Duck Hunt Dog's neutral B move... where the player controls the duck... the difference is... the player needs to release the B button to have the hunter shoot at the duck when it is overlapping with the opponent.

Also.... please go to 0:20 at this second video...

I was thinking that maybe the duck automatically flies toward the opponent and peck them if you simply tapped the B button instead of holding down the B button to assume control of the duck.

In other words, tap the B button to have the dog flush out a duck... and the duck will automatically fly toward the closest opponent and peck them... if you press and hold the B button instead, the dog will flush out a duck but then the player (you) assume control of the duck and you can try to get it close to the opponent so you can have the hunter shoot them when you release the B button.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Bump... sorry for the double post... but I wanted to show you this... please go to 7:45

That's what I had in mind for the Duck Hunt Dog's neutral B move... where the player controls the duck... the difference is... the player needs to release the B button to have the hunter shoot at the duck when it is overlapping with the opponent.

Also.... please go to 0:20 at this second video...

I was thinking that maybe the duck automatically flies toward the opponent and peck them if you simply tapped the B button instead of holding down the B button to assume control of the duck.

In other words, tap the B button to have the dog flush out a duck... and the duck will automatically fly toward the closest opponent and peck them... if you press and hold the B button instead, the dog will flush out a duck but then the player (you) assume control of the duck and you can try to get it close to the opponent so you can have the hunter shoot them when you release the B button.
So... Pitch and Hornet Chaser combined?

Sounds good to me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Man even though 2 troll characters are iffy (wii fit trainer is the first one)

I would love to get pay back on that dog laughing it up

Then we can finally say to that dog laugh it up while you can

Top Bottom