• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So you control the dog, but certain attacks of him come from "off screen"? Is that what's being implied?
I came up with this idea right after Brawl came out when people used to tell me that Duck Hunt Dog doesn't fight... that all he does is point (that's the job of a hunting dog... to point out the prey)... so I thought... if all Duck Hunt Dog does is point... then I will just have him fight by pointing fingers... and then I thought... why not have the hunter do all the shooting off screen... that the hunter shoots where the dog points at... almost as if the dog is telling the hunter "shoot there! no! shoot over there!" while pointing everywhere... and then I developed the idea further with ducks and clay pigeons... that the dog throws ducks and clay pigeons.... letting the Smash player know where the hunter will shoot... so why not have ducks and clay pigeons get shot when they get too close or overlap with the opponents... and then I realized that my idea is basically having the Duck Hunt Dog break the fourth wall to fight... so I decided to go meta... and came up with his Down B move where he laughs at the hunter and gets shot... a reference to countless frustrated Duck Hunt players' desire to shoot the dog for laughing at them.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I came up with this idea right after Brawl came out when people used to tell me that Duck Hunt Dog doesn't fight... that all he does is point (that's the job of a hunting dog... to point out the prey)... so I thought... if all Duck Hunt Dog does is point... then I will just have him fight by pointing fingers... and then I thought... why not have the hunter do all the shooting off screen... that the hunter shoots where the dog points at... almost as if the dog is telling the hunter "shoot there! no! shoot over there!" while pointing everywhere... and then I developed the idea further with ducks and clay pigeons... that the dog throws ducks and clay pigeons.... letting the Smash player know where the hunter will shoot... so why not have ducks and clay pigeons get shot when they get too close or overlap with the opponents... and then I realized that my idea is basically having the Duck Hunt Dog break the fourth wall to fight... so I decided to go meta... and came up with his Down B move where he laughs at the hunter and gets shot... a reference to countless frustrated Duck Hunt players' desire to shoot the dog for laughing at them.

I'd enjoy a character who breaks the fourth wall like Duck Hunt Dog :awesome:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
May I suggest reading the movesets on the OP? They're rather interesting.

Really, he's easier to make a moveset for than Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.
No that's not proof I mean reasoning that he's possible him easily having a moveset I need more proof than that

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
No that's not proof I mean reasoning that he's possible him easily having a moveset I need more proof than that

Well, let's see.

-He represents the NES era and the NES Zapper peripheral, and is part of a very popular game. \
-He's well-known to people outside the gaming community due to his iconic actions in the game.
-Many people want to beat the living **** out of the dog as revenge for mocking them.
-He could have a more unique moveset than characters often supported.
-Freedom of speech allows Arcadenik to make a Duck Hunt Dog thread without people telling him what's wrong with his ideas.

So, please stop telling people that their ideas are "impossible" and look into the ideas before you make a statement.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh. My. God. I just read something brilliant on NeoGAF that I cannot believe I never thought of it sooner...

A member named A Human Becoming suggested "that dog reflecting attacks by laughing, but leaving it incredibly vulnerable." It is a clever way to represent the futility of shooting that laughing dog! :laugh: The dog's laughter makes him immune to projectiles but he is vulnerable to physical attacks.

Oh my god... even the dog's laugh have potential to be used as either an OHKO move like Jigglypuff's Rest (like I suggested) or as a reflector like Fox's Reflector (like this guy suggested).

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
An alleged leaker at GameFAQs claimed that "Dog & Hunter" is gonna be in SSB4... part of me wants to believe it... but part of me knows that it's too good to be true. :ohwell:

can you post a link? I know it's futile but I wanna see anyway... especially after the whole WFT prediction thing

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm embarrassed to say I thought this was a joke thread when I arrived.

Then I read through it all.

This is by far the single most impressive and well thought out retro character thread I've ever read.

I really hope Duck Hunt Dog(Or Mr. Peepers) gets in now you got me aboard the hype train. (Those Brawl models btw are amazing; what are they from?)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well, let's see.

-He represents the NES era and the NES Zapper peripheral, and is part of a very popular game. \
-He's well-known to people outside the gaming community due to his iconic actions in the game.
-Many people want to beat the living **** out of the dog as revenge for mocking them.
-He could have a more unique moveset than characters often supported.
-Freedom of speech allows Arcadenik to make a Duck Hunt Dog thread without people telling him what's wrong with his ideas.

So, please stop telling people that their ideas are "impossible" and look into the ideas before you make a statement.
That's defiantly more information but I still don't exactly see this happening

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'll support just because lots of people want to beat up the dog after all of these years because of that damn laugh he has when we miss the ducks ofcoarse could be reverse if a player is good with the dog

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why people think him being in the game is a ridiculous notion. Very few Nintendo games from that period are more recognisable and well known than Duck Hunt - just look at how many references it gets in popular culture. I'd say Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda and the game it shares a cart with, Super Mario Bros, are the only NES Nintendo games more famous than Duck Hunt. Duck Hunt was one of the games that pretty much everyone with a NES played thanks to it being bundled with the console. The Duck Hunt Dog is a massive gaming icon, it's actually arguable that he's the most recognisable Nintendo character still not playable.

As for the moveset, the Super Smash Bros games (see Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer...) and the imagination of fans proves time and time again that anything is possible.

Amazingly I've accidentally talked myself into supporting him.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Somehow, I missed this support thread and just now found it...And you done a great job of convincing me to support the laughing dog! This moveset sounds really cool and unique, and the idea of incorporating the both the dog and the hunter is pure genius! I'd love to see this guy in the next game, it's just that his chances may not be incredibly high. Nonetheless, I've added him to my support banner! :chuckle:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Even if his name is Mr. Peepers, wouldn't he be called something along the lines of Duck Hunter if he were a character? Much like Popo and Nana being Ice Climbers. The name referring the game serves more purpose than the actual name of the dog. Also similar to Villager, Toon Link, Pokemon Trainer, and maybe Mr. Game & Watch.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Even if his name is Mr. Peepers, wouldn't he be called something along the lines of Duck Hunter if he were a character? Much like Popo and Nana being Ice Climbers. The name referring the game serves more purpose than the actual name of the dog. Also similar to Villager, Toon Link, Pokemon Trainer, and maybe Mr. Game & Watch.
He would be called Duck Hunt Dog because he is a dog from the game Duck Hunt.... just like how Wii Fit Trainer is named because she is a trainer from the game Wii Fit.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Wow! doesn't have much of a chance, but I really love these underdog characters!

Get it... underdog...

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I really crack myself up...

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'd just call him 'dog'.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Makes me wonder if Nintendo would use his Official name or just Duck Hunt Dog

D

Deleted member

I suppose in some weird way, DHD could possibly reference what got Nintendo into gaming; the Laser Clay Shooting System.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Makes me wonder if Nintendo would use his Official name or just Duck Hunt Dog
What official name? You know that Mr. Peepers is not confirmed to be his official name, right?

I think they could call him Duck Hunt Dog because he's a dog from the game Duck Hunt... Just like how Wii Fit Trainer is a trainer from the game Wii Fit and she doesn't have a name either.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
What official name? You know that Mr. Peepers is not confirmed to be his official name, right?

I think they could call him Duck Hunt Dog because he's a dog from the game Duck Hunt... Just like how Wii Fit Trainer is a trainer from the game Wii Fit and she doesn't have a name either.
I've been had. Someone provided this article for me saying that was his name and it doesn't mention it anywhere. I'll call him Duck Hunt Dog from now on :)

D

Deleted member

The article originally DID have the name.

Then it was later edited to take the name out.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt dog is one of my mains in Crusade.
I'd love it if he showed up in SSB4.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
After playing Crusade for a while...

Duck Hunt Dog is designed to be annoying. His AI spams projectiles like crazy and never ever stops taunting... and when you play him you can't do the crazy combos he could do!

All the more reason for this guy to be in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
^^ Well, yes... Duck Hunt Dog has to maintain his reputation as the infamous annoying dog in gaming ever. :awesome: :troll: :laugh:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Duck Hunt Dog is on Rate their Chances:

And inspired me to make a moveset:
Duck Hunt Dog will be renamed Dog for the game. That's right, the Duck Hunter is the worst namer in the world
Specials:
Neutral: Zapper
Dog takes out the Zapper and fires. The effect is an energy shot similar to the super scoper. Can be charged to fire multiple shots in a row.

Forward: Clay Disk
Dog throws a clay disk at his opponent. The disc crack on the opponent with differing effects and damage.

Up: Flying Duck
A Duck appears from behind him and he grabs it to fly for a short period. After a few seconds, Dog lets go of the duck and he creates a ground shake underneath where he falls. The ducks flys away at rapid speed. Only one duck can be on screen at any time.

Down: Laugh
Dog laughs, doing very minimal damage. The longer he doesn't laugh (up to 45 secs), the more damage he does and the more he laughs.

Final Smash: Smash Hunt
Dog throws the Zapper at the screen and then you control the gun as a player. You get up to 12 shots, that fire fire ball explosions similar to the superscope. Every time a person is hit, the Duck Hunt Dog will run toward the person, and will throw them for damage if he reaches them. If you hit none of the opponents, the dog will laugh at you.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I guess supporters here (including myself) are being realistic about his chance being in the game since this thread have been very quiet for long time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know right... I probably am the biggest Duck Hunt Dog supporter but I have to be realistic about his chances in Smash. If the dog is not in the game, I cannot say I'm shocked. Though I would be over the moon if the dog is actually playable in Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Perhaps in the next two sequels we could get the remaining classic Nintendo characters. (Balloon Fighter and DHD)
But it is certainly possible to have Little Mac, DHD, and Balloon Fighter in the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
May I suggest reading the movesets on the OP? They're rather interesting.

Really, he's easier to make a moveset for than Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.
I know I am a couple of months too late... but easier than Jigglypuff? Really? That blatant disrespect for the Jiggles disgusts me!

Top Bottom