• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daitoryo for Smash 4 Thread. Goko; opponent wins game 4. (Disconfirmed)

Should the character be called "Napoleon" or "President" for the sake of this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Even though I still dislike her inclusion, I can understand more the reasoning behind adding WFT, since she's basically a representative of Nintendo's future at this point...

...Which makes Iwata's mentioning of Hanafuda in the discussion more interesting. It shows that he's acknowledging the company's earliest days as well as the one's forthcoming. This makes the idea of including a Hanafuda character more appealing to me, since the idea of pitting Nintendo's past against their future sounds like good fun. WFT also demonstrates that Nintendo is willing to represent their "health platform" in Smash Bros, so maybe they'd be just as willing to represent Hanafuda, even though it has nothing to do with video games.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Even though I still dislike her inclusion, I can understand more the reasoning behind adding WFT, since she's basically a representative of Nintendo's future at this point...

...Which makes Iwata's mentioning of Hanafuda in the discussion more interesting. It shows that he's acknowledging the company's earliest days as well as the one's forthcoming. This makes the idea of including a Hanafuda character more appealing to me, since the idea of pitting Nintendo's past against their future sounds like good fun. WFT also demonstrates that Nintendo is willing to represent their "health platform" in Smash Bros, so maybe they'd be just as willing to represent Hanafuda, even though it has nothing to do with video games.
I agree entirely.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think there should be Hanafuda in some way, I just don't think it should be a playable character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Only grasps I have about Daitouryou's chances is we never had nothing of a character that's not based on the videogame industry, which makes me worried. But Hanafuda is pretty damn significant, and with over 125 years for Nintendo currently, I wonder if Sakurai will take the opportunity.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think there should be Hanafuda in some way, I just don't think it should be a playable character.
What do you recommend? A stage, perhaps?
Only grasps I have about Daitouryou's chances is we never had nothing of a character that's not based on the videogame industry, which makes me worried. But Hanafuda is pretty damn significant, and with over 125 years for Nintendo currently, I wonder if Sakurai will take the opportunity.
Honestly, I'm feeling pretty confident that he might. It's a game about Nintendo, after all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A stage for Hanafuda woould be weird, because there's no particular setting for Hanafuda.
Maybe base on the backgrounds on the Hanafuda cards.
Or if there is a Nazo no Muramase Jou stage, that could technically be his home stage since it's based on Japanese culture.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
A stage for Hanafuda woould be weird, because there's no particular setting for Hanafuda.
Maybe base on the backgrounds on the Hanafuda cards.
Or if there is a Nazo no Muramase Jou stage, that could technically be his home stage since it's based on Japanese culture.
I was imagining a table where a game of Koi-Koi is being played. The cards/tiles would act as obstacles, platforms, or hazards. Either that, or we could have a stage based off of all the hanafuda cards' artworks like you suggested. That wouldn't be too difficult. In fact, we could have the stage going through the seasons and changing from one card's artwork to another.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
What do you recommend? A stage, perhaps?

Honestly, I'm feeling pretty confident that he might. It's a game about Nintendo, after all.
A stage would be cool, made up of floating Hanafuda cards like Pokefloats, but there should also be trophies, stickers, and possibly an assist trophy.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
A stage would be cool, made up of floating Hanafuda cards like Pokefloats, but there should also be trophies, stickers, and possibly an assist trophy.
Daitoryo or Rainman would be good assist trophies (I would recommend Rainman as an assist trophy if Daitoryo's playable. Otherwise, Daitoryo all the way.)

Question; should the trophies for hanafuda be parts of the artwork on the cards (like just having the crane), or should they actually include the cards themselves?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Daitoryo or Rainman would be good assist trophies (I would recommend Rainman as an assist trophy if Daitoryo's playable. Otherwise, Daitoryo all the way.)

Question; should the trophies for hanafuda be parts of the artwork on the cards (like just having the crane), or should they actually include the cards themselves?
Probably the characters themselves.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I think the best approach for a Hanafuda themed stage would be to create a beautiful landscape with the scenery featured on the cards... like the hills, the sun, and the plants. Though I can't imagine the music that would play on the stage... perhaps some atmospheric traditional Japanese music.

Also... yes, I am trying to complete the Daitoryo drawing. Sorry for taking so long.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think the best approach for a Hanafuda themed stage would be to create a beautiful landscape with the scenery featured on the cards... like the hills, the sun, and the plants. Though I can't imagine the music that would play on the stage... perhaps some atmospheric traditional Japanese music.

Also... yes, I am trying to complete the Daitoryo drawing. Sorry for taking so long.
Take your time! And, thinking about it, I would prefer that kind of stage more myself.
Maybe take some influence from Okami music?
How about traditional Japanese music? Wouldn't be a problem legally, and wouldn't have to take up development time making an original piece.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I know movesets have been posted in here (I think), but because Hanafuda's origin is as a set of playing cards, I imagine him as being somewhat like Gambit in having a playstyle that revolves around using the cards as his form of attack. Now, I don't think ole' Napoleon has telekinetic abilities, haha, but maybe even something like Yugi in Yu-Gi-Oh, where he uses the cards to summon creatures and objects (based on what else was featured on the Hanafuda cards) to attack for him in his specials and such. I could see it being fun, kinda a little bit like Yuna in Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy if they want to go the full summoner route and use them for everything.

Or I'm crazy, haha; but suggestions are suggestions.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I know movesets have been posted in here (I think), but because Hanafuda's origin is as a set of playing cards, I imagine him as being somewhat like Gambit in having a playstyle that revolves around using the cards as his form of attack. Now, I don't think ole' Napoleon has telekinetic abilities, haha, but maybe even something like Yugi in Yu-Gi-Oh, where he uses the cards to summon creatures and objects (based on what else was featured on the Hanafuda cards) to attack for him in his specials and such. I could see it being fun, kinda a little bit like Yuna in Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy if they want to go the full summoner route and use them for everything.

Or I'm crazy, haha; but suggestions are suggestions.
Would you like to give it a try? The more movesets the merrier!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm afraid I'm not really that good with planning out actual movesets, haha, otherwise I definitely would.
I see. Well, unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if I'd do the moveset justice, so I won't be making an attempt. Feel free to drop by if you become interested in trying and need help or something..

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, for Valentine's Day, how would Daitoryo play in terms of a character? Any ideas?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, for Valentine's Day, how would Daitoryo play in terms of a character? Any ideas?
Definitely fast and combo-oriented. If you've ever played a game of Koi-Koi, you know that it's a fast paced game. I fully expect Daitoryo to be modeled after that.

And if we want gimmicks, I mentioned this before, but a mechanic where certain moves get more powerful when used after certain other moves in order to fully maximize their combo game would be extremely interesting and very fitting of Daitoryo.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm going to try to make a moveset for him to see if my opinions on him change.

Edit: Here it is. It may not be very good, as I don't know too much about Hanafuda.

A combo: 3 birds peck in front of Daitoryo.
Foward Tilt: Attacks with random potted plant.
Up Tilt: Attacks with random potted plant.
Down Tilt: Attacks with random potted plant.
Dash Attack: Swipes with ribbon.
Forward Smash: Shoots a frog forward.
Up Smash: Shoots a deer upwards.
Down Smash: Jumps and shoots a boar downwards.
Forward Air: Jabs umbrella forward.
Back Air: Jabs umbrella backwards.
Up Air: Shoots a flock of birds upwards.
Down Air: Shoots a flock of birds downward.
B: Throws cups rapidly.
Side B: Ribbon swing.
Up B: Flies up on a goose.
Down B: Butterflies surround him like a shield.
Final Smash: Flies around on a phoenix. Controls like Super Sonic, and acts similar.

Okay. There's my moveset.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
You saint. Thank you. I was sure that this thread had died for good. I'll add you to the list of supporters.
I'm not sure what my feelings on Daitoryo are, now that I know more about him and made a moveset.

I'm not as against it as I originally was, but I still don't support. I'm kind of confused.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, I am guessing Daitoryo would be a secret newcomer...

Smady

Smash Master
Been a long time coming for me to post my support for Napoleon. Here's some cool music for another Napoleonic-themed character.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Yeah, wrong thread. I thought this was the project thread instead of the Daitoryo one. I have so many tabs open...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not sure what my feelings on Daitoryo are, now that I know more about him and made a moveset.

I'm not as against it as I originally was, but I still don't support. I'm kind of confused.
What are you confused about? I'd be happy to explain.

So, I am guessing Daitoryo would be a secret newcomer...
No way he would be revealed before release. I'm positive of that.

Been a long time coming for me to post my support for Napoleon. Here's some cool music for another Napoleonic-themed character.

I'll add you to the list! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom