• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daitoryo for Smash 4 Thread. Goko; opponent wins game 4. (Disconfirmed)

Should the character be called "Napoleon" or "President" for the sake of this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
While I think he would be unique addition, I think he should appear in the video games first. Yes, I know that Roy hadn't appeared in games before melee, but that's because he was used to advertise that brand new fire emblem game I can't remember right now. Even Rob had appeared in a video game (mario kart ds) before his inclusion. Maybe if Nintendo would release a hanafuda card game as a e-shop tile with daitoryo as the opponent/playable character or any other role, then he could make an appearance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I think he would be unique addition, I think he should appear in the video games first. Yes, I know that Roy hadn't appeared in games before melee, but that's because he was used to advertise that brand new fire emblem game I can't remember right now. Even Rob had appeared in a video game (mario kart ds) before his inclusion. Maybe if Nintendo would release a hanafuda card game as a e-shop tile with daitoryo as the opponent/playable character or any other role, then he could make an appearance.
I would argue the "Mr. Game and Watch" never appeared in any video game before Smash Bros.. He's a completely original concept in Smash Bros. that combined the multiple generic characters from the Game and Watch games into one character. At least Daitoryo already is a character that exists.

I've heard of worse ideas...

Though every time I see the thread title I think of that stupid Deal or No Deal show. :facepalm:
Got any suggestions for a new title? This one's getting stale.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I would argue the "Mr. Game and Watch" never appeared in any video game before Smash Bros.. He's a completely original concept in Smash Bros. that combined the multiple generic characters from the Game and Watch games into one character. At least Daitoryo already is a character that exists.
You are right, but at least Mr. Game&Watch represents the game and watch video games. If Daitoryo will ever appear in a video game, I will support him. Actually, add me to the supporter list. If he appears in Smash bros in some form, he will get some spotlight and maybe get his own card/puzzle/strategy game series in future.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You are right, but at least Mr. Game&Watch represents the game and watch video games. If Daitoryo will ever appear in a video game, I will support him. Actually, add me to the supporter list. If he appears in Smash bros in some form, he will get some spotlight and maybe get his own card/puzzle/strategy game series in future.
Will do. I look forward to seeing you in Smash 5/6 discussion with Daitoryo should he not make it in this time :p

andimidna

Smash Master
Have I said I'm a supporter yet?
Last time I was here I don't think I supported him, as I couldn't see a card turning into a character.
But it is the best possible option for a historical character... ever.
I still can't picture him fighting, but that'd be part of the fun of his inclusion... so yea, I want.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Talk about a obscure character. Add me to the supporter list!
Will do!
Have I said I'm a supporter yet?
Last time I was here I don't think I supported him, as I couldn't see a card turning into a character.
But it is the best possible option for a historical character... ever.
I still can't picture him fighting, but that'd be part of the fun of his inclusion... so yea, I want.
Gladly!

One thing I'd like to point out is that, technically, Daitoryo has never appeared on any hanafuda card. He's on the plastic and cardboard casing (twice on the cardboard), but he never appears in the cards themselves. What that does to his chances, I don't know, but it's certainly something of note.

andimidna

Smash Master
Will do!

Gladly!

One thing I'd like to point out is that, technically, Daitoryo has never appeared on any hanafuda card. He's on the plastic and cardboard casing (twice on the cardboard), but he never appears in the cards themselves. What that does to his chances, I don't know, but it's certainly something of note.
Still sounds like the face of the original Nintendo... so unless a design is going to be playable, I think this keeps him about the same.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Still sounds like the face of the original Nintendo... so unless a design is going to be playable, I think this keeps him about the same.
The literal face, in fact :troll:

Honestly, the three appearances on the outside (one of which being on the case that is always used for carrying the cards) is more significant than one appearance on a card would be anyways.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yay, the thread returns from the grave!
Lets keep it that way.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, I'm not sure how it affects his chances, but it may be good for our president.

Yay, the thread returns from the grave!
Lets keep it that way.
Well, I'll need your guys' help if we're going to keep this thread afloat. General disinterest in the character recently has lead to a lack of discussion and that just kills the thread.

Here's something I've been working on. It's not complete, but it's the best (accurate) high-quality image of Daitoryo on the internet as of right now.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's the matches (Yaku) as well. Could be important.
[collapse=Yakus (matches)]
(Kasu/Plains)
(Tanzaku/Ribbons)
(Tane/Animals)
(Ino-Shika-Cho/Boar-Deer-Butterfly)
(Akatan/Red Poetry Ribbons)
(Aotan/Blue Ribbons)
(San/Three Brights)
(Ame-Shiko/Rain Man)
(Shiko/Four Brights)
(Goko/Five Brights)
(Tsuka-fuda/Monthly Cards (One Month applies per turn.))
(*Bake-Fuda/Wild Card)
[/collapse]

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys remember a few day's Miiverse comment on Color Game TV-15:
Pic of the day. The unexpected Assist Trophy, the TV-Game 15! Color TV-Game 15 is a home entertainment system that was released in 1977 in Japan before the release of Space Invaders. This is the oldest game to join the Smash Bros. series.
Does this mean there won't be Hanafuda representation.

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom brought it up back in the week in review.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom brought it up back in the week in review.
While that did shock me at first, it's possible he meant videogame, like most would assume.

He'd be Nintendo's oldest card, not oldest game. But it is interesting.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

While that did shock me at first, it's possible he meant videogame, like most would assume.

He'd be Nintendo's oldest card, not oldest game. But it is interesting.
Debateable. Anyone have the Japanese quote? Maybe it would differentiate between "video game" and "game" there.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
きょうの一枚。 おどろきのアシストフィギュア"テレビゲーム15"! "カラーテレビゲーム15(フィフティーン)"は、1977年、インベーダーゲームが出る前に登場した家庭用テレビゲーム。 スマブラ出演作の中でも、最古のものです。
One piece today.
Assist figure "video game 15" of surprise!
The, 1977, "(Fifteen) Color video game 15" home video game that appeared before the invader game comes out.
Among the Smash Bros. feature films, it is the oldest.
Just a quick Google translate.
Probably not reliable though, because I'm not sure if feature films is the right word.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just a quick Google translate.
Probably not reliable though, because I'm not sure if feature films is the right word.
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Could you translate this for us?

きょうの一枚。 おどろきのアシストフィギュア"テレビゲーム15"! "カラーテレビゲーム15(フィフティーン)"は、1977年、インベーダーゲームが出る前に登場した家庭用テレビゲーム。 スマブラ出演作の中でも、最古のものです。

We're wondering specifically if it disconfirms Daitoryo or not. 出演作's translation is the big thing. "Among the Smash Bros. 出演作, it is the oldest".

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Pic of the Day. This is the surprising Assist Trophy "Television Game 15". The "Color Television 15 " came before the Invader Game in 1977. It is the oldest game in Super Smash Bros.

Basically the same lol

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm sticking with the idea that he was referring to videogames, as he compares it to one.

It seems like something he probably wrote up quickly w/o much thought, however, if there was an extremely old character he might have thought twice about saying anything along these lines.

I think this hurts, but doesn't deconfirm.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Pic of the Day. This is the surprising Assist Trophy "Television Game 15". The "Color Television 15 " came before the Invader Game in 1977. It is the oldest game in Super Smash Bros.

Basically the same lol
Is there a distinction between "game" and "video game" in Japanese?

I'm sticking with the idea that he was referring to videogames, as he compares it to one.

It seems like something he probably wrote up quickly w/o much thought, however, if there was an extremely old character he might have thought twice about saying anything along these lines.

I think this hurts, but doesn't deconfirm.
I worry about this as well.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dang, I was so hyped about that cool info about Color TV Game 15, I didn't realize what it might mean for a Daitoryo.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I went back to the text.

It does specify "game" exactly but it's taken into context. The literal translation is "appeared product" or "product to appear".

A better translation may be "Of the Smash Bros related franchises (products) to appear in Smash Bros., this is the oldest."

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I went back to the text.

It does specify "game" exactly but it's taken into context. The literal translation is "appeared product" or "product to appear".

A better translation may be "Of the Smash Bros related franchises (products) to appear in Smash Bros., this is the oldest."
Ouch.

Well, it was a nice run, guys.

D

Deleted member

My condolences to you guys, though admittedly, I'm kind of glad this joke can be put to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom