• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley (Vote on the Smash Poll!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Real talk, can anyone explain this to me?

I can kinda get Jimmy T, but I'm baffled by Mona, I never even heard of her till I came back to Smashboards.

In all honesty, thanks to Nintendo Power and Ashley's notoriously creepy song, Ashely was the first WarioWare character I ever heard of, and they only one I knew of till I finally played Touched, where everyone but Wario is essentially equal.

How are the other two better choices than her? Are they more popular, more iconic or anything else?
With Jimmy T., he is the first one that has been called up by Wario to help with making his games, and in general is the first microgame host after Wario himself (though he is not always the first).
He and Wario are also "bros" in a sense, as Jimmy T. mentions that he and Wario "go way back", possibly inferring that Jimmy is Wario's oldest friend (in terms of how long they have been friends, not by age). None of Wario's other friends make a similar notice aside from one.

That "one" is Mona. She was the 2nd friend Wario called up to help with his games, and is the first microgame host after Wario whenever Jimmy is not (such as Smooth Moves).
There is also a connection between her and Wario in that Mona has feelings for him. While I'm not one to advocate that a love interest is more important than any one else, in this case, it kind of is. After all, most characters in the series rarely interact with Wario let alone have a close relationship.
She also seems to have a sort of "2nd in command" motiff to her, being more than often doing expository jobs that Wario should be doing himself but is too lazy to do, all while constantly mentioning about Wario being problematic when it comes to paychecks.
Then we get to multiple instances where she dresses up as him and even a mention that he "even takes [her] on some of his money-grubbing adventures" (i.e. treasure hunting ala Wario Land)

Compared to that, we have Ashley, who just randomly showed up as an employee in a sequel with seemingly no connections to Wario.
While popular and seemingly being an Ensemble Darkhorse, she's not really as deserving as Mona or Jimmy T.
Not saying she can't get in, because she can due to her popularity and offering a unique fighting style (something Sakurai looks for), but compared to Mona or Jimmy, she's not that deserving.
The only one I can see being as deserving as them (if not slightly more for various reasons) is Dr. Crygor.

D

Deleted member

Ssssssssstufffff.

Ahh, Ok. So it's because they are more important to the Warioware canon.

Tbh, I didn't even know half of that stuff. Hell, I didn't even know Warioware HAD a story. I thought all the WW characters were equal in regard to importance within the game.

Guess I should play more Wario games. I only played bits and pieces of Touched.

So Ashley is basically riding on popularity alone. I can see why you feel they are more deserving, but is that really that important of a factor? I guess this is like the Dark Samus vs. Ridley debate from back in the pre-Brawl days. Still, if Ashley is that popular, I think for the sake of Smash that's kinda what matters here. I can only see Jimmy T. one-upping her simply because he's the only other one that has a potentially interesting moveset. Still Ashley being as notorious to those who haven't played the games certainly gives her an edge over the other two. Like I said, Jimmy T. I only knew of because his interesting design caught my eye when playing Touched. And Mona I didn't even know existed till a few weeks ago.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Considering prominence in the series:
Wario (obviously) > Jimmy T. > Mona = Dr. Crygor > others

I've played the original, Twisted! and Touched! and came to this conclusion.

In Touched!, however all are on (nearly) equal ground.

D

Deleted member

Like I said, the fact she's popular and can provide a unique and interesting style could be reason enough for Sakurai to include her as that is part of what he looks for.
I'm only saying that the other two deserve it more. Not that it would stop Ashley if Sakurai wanted to include her instead of either of them.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Golden

On an unrelated note, I was lurking through the Crusade forums, and saw that Ashley was on the roster and was completed. Will she be included in 0.9?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is it really fair to say she's popular.

Maybe... relatively popular? Like, when you look at her situation with a microscope or something.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Is it really fair to say she's popular.

Maybe... relatively popular? Like, when you look at her situation with a microscope or something.
WarioWare's popularity is large enough to be seen with naked eyes. :troll:

And all WarioWare character are popular as well. So, even with relative popularity, Ashley wins. :smirk:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That joke was for HABANERO NOT YOU.

But Luigi already provides that sort of haunted atmosphere with Luigi's Mansion. And Ashley is not really all that popular in the big picture. Could only see her being added for the sake of having a witch, but even then WarioWare characters aren't exactly seen in action all that much so you'd more or less be making her moveset from scratch. Kind of like how Sheriff would just be your generic cowboy doing cowboy things because hey we don't have a cowboy yet.

I guess she'd have her little buddy Red with her all the time, transforming into different things. I guess that'd be cool enough. BUT WHO CARES REALLY, she's basically trash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Could only see her being added for the sake of having a witch, but even then WarioWare characters aren't exactly seen in action all that much so you'd more or less be making her moveset from scratch.
To respond to your post seriously, isn't moveset potential is a good enough reason for Sakurai to include a character?

Oasis_S said:
I guess she'd have her little buddy Red with her all the time, transforming into different things. I guess that'd be cool enough. BUT WHO CARES REALLY, she's basically trash.
I've been unfortunately blessed with a heart of gold so I can't bring myself to thrash you. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To respond to your post seriously, isn't moveset potential is a good enough reason for Sakurai to include a character?
First of, no. Second: lol, what potential. She'd be a witch doing witch things. You'd get the same thing if you added Kamek no doubt. She's nothing special or interesting.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
First of, no. Second: lol, what potential. She'd be a witch doing witch things. You'd get the same thing if you added Kamek no doubt. She's nothing special or interesting.
I'll be equally happy if either of them got in lol. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Like I said, the fact she's popular and can provide a unique and interesting style could be reason enough for Sakurai to include her as that is part of what he looks for.
I'm only saying that the other two deserve it more. Not that it would stop Ashley if Sakurai wanted to include her instead of either of them.
Yeah, I gotcha. Now I understand where people are coming from when they mention Mona.

They are looking at prominence in the series.

The only difference is that Ashely is not ANOTHER Mario character, and design-wise she's more interesting than Kamek. Kamek's design is too simple for my liking, 2 colors, contrasting colors at that, no defining featueres, he's just a Magikoopa that talks.

For the sake of variety if given a choice between the two, Ashley'd be the better choice, simply because she stands out more. Kamek is more minion-like and thus, somewhat boring by contrast.

Someone hasn't played Blazblue.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't she technically a Mario character because she's from a Wario game and Wario is a Mario character?

D

Deleted member

Isn't she technically a Mario character because she's from a Wario game and Wario is a Mario character?
No Wario and Mario are not the same franchises. Just the same as DK and Mario are not the same Franchises.

By your logic Mario would be a DK character, he's obviously not.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
They are all in the same universe but they are still DIFFERENT franchises.

Anyway, when it comes to smash potential Ashley = Jimmy T. > Mona.

Mona: I can base my moves off my jobs!

Ashley and Jimmy: Thats pretty boring.

Mona: I can throw pizzas!

Ashley and Jimmy: Magic and dancing.

Mona: :(

Ashley and Jimmy: You lose.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Manfry: I swear while I was typing up that post I was going to say something like "The only people who would really be excited for Ashley's inclusion are either creeps or PEOPLE WISHING SHE WAS SOME OTHER CHARACTER IN ANOTHER FIGHTING GAME."

Also it's funny that I got you to argue something as trivial as "well she's not completely like Kamek."

D

Deleted member

@Manfry: I swear while I was typing up that post I was going to say something like "The only people who would really be excited for Ashley's inclusion are either creeps or PEOPLE WISHING SHE WAS SOME OTHER CHARACTER IN ANOTHER FIGHTING GAME."

Also it's funny that I got you to argue something as trivial as "well she's not completely like Kamek."
If you've ever used Rachel you'd know the difference between a good character and Low Tier plebian scum.

Jokes aside, Ashley couldn't play anything like Rachel, hell the style I suggested for her (which I still gotta flesh out for this thread) is nowhere near what Rachel does. Rachel plays more like Snake tbh... However, the idea of using a stuffed animal to fight certainly isn't new, nor bad.

As for Kamek

Ashley > Kamek

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd also rather play as Ashley than Kamek. As a Wario Ware character feels a lot less forced than a Yoshi's Island character so generic as Kamek. Who looks like any regular Magikoopa. Besides, even IF she's only popular in Japan, the Japanese tend to get what they want. :rolleyes: Also, the only other viable Wario character in general could be Captain Syrup. Who's even less likely.

But let's face it. There are 3 series who are lucky to get any character in possible. And to me they are: Wario Ware / Land, Yoshi's Island and F-Zero. All other obvious stuff as Ice Climber, Gyromite and Pikmin I already see as not even possible. And from all these series, I feel like Wario deserves it most. F-Zero is a close second though.

D

Deleted member

I'd also rather play as Ashley than Kamek. As a Wario Ware character feels a lot less forced than a Yoshi's Island character so generic as Kamek. Who looks like any regular Magikoopa. Besides, even IF she's only popular in Japan, the Japanese tend to get what they want. :rolleyes: Also, the only other viable Wario character in general could be Captain Syrup. Who's even less likely.

But let's face it. There are 3 series who are lucky to get any character in possible. And to me they are: Wario Ware / Land, Yoshi's Island and F-Zero. All other obvious stuff as Ice Climber, Gyromite and Pikmin I already see as not even possible. And from all these series, I feel like Wario deserves it most. F-Zero is a close second though.
I agree. You know though, I can actually see Ashley happening.

I honestly feel Ashley's got a better shot than other characters I support, such as Lyn, Saki and Bayonetta.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe not as Saki. But I guess she'd be a little more likely than Lyn. Bayonetta I really don't want in at all though, so I'll be honest and gonna deny her having any chance at all. Sorry. :skull:

Still, Ashley seems cool. But I'd also like Jimmy T. If only cause he's totally the funky, lost twinbrother of Waluigi (seriously, they look almost the same). And I'd love to see the Waluigi fanbase tearing up to his inclusion. :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Here we go again. :facepalm:

Now, Oasis, if you troll this thread anymore, I'll go ahead and add you to the list of supporters. :troll:

Have a good time convincing people that you're not a supporter. :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Here we go again. :facepalm:

Now, Oasis, if you troll this thread anymore, I'll go ahead and add you to the list of supporters. :troll:

Have a good time convincing people that you're not a supporter. :troll:
Hey now, the only rise I'm trying to get out of this thread is maybe to get people to raise their intelligence enough to know better than to pick awful characters.

So you have **** taste. It's fine. You can acquire something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom