• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Metal Jaguar BLADE Captain: Elma [Smash DLC] *No XCX spoilers, please!* 37 Days Until XCX!

Should Elma appear in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS?

• Total voters

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure myself, but she has two special moves, Ghost Stage and Shadow Strike, the former likely being some buff and the latter being a melee Art. The game categorizes the Arts as Support, Debuff, Melee, and Ranged Arts. Back Slash and Stream edge return as Melee Arts. Also in the game Elma can switch between dual guns and dual blades, so perhaps that could be an interesting mechanic. Characters that can debuff opponents are also something that could be new to Smash.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure myself, but she has two special moves, Ghost Stage and Shadow Strike, the former likely being some buff and the latter being a melee Art. The game categorizes the Arts as Support, Debuff, Melee, and Ranged Arts. Back Slash and Stream edge return as Melee Arts. Also in the game Elma can switch between dual guns and dual blades, so perhaps that could be an interesting mechanic. Characters that can debuff opponents are also something that could be new to Smash.
Is Elma considered a fast character in X? Because I think that's be a cool way to utilize her. Make a fast sword wielding gun user with various debuffing and ranged specials.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Is Elma considered a fast character in X? Because I think that's be a cool way to utilize her. Make a fast sword wielding gun user with various debuffing and ranged specials.
From the gameplay videos it looks like it, she's somersaulting and jumping and running all over during battle. She's also not wielding super large blades or guns (she has to dual-wield them), unlike Shulk who's lugging around a huge sword.

Watch this: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/10127098?t=5h59m15s

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Hopefully if we play our cards right and this thread gets enough support, Elma could be a major contender for Smash 5 once the biggest character requests are added for in Smash 4's DLC.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
In Elma's words, "damn", I love the recent flood of replies on this thread. Keep 'em going guys! Elma needs all the support she can get! :D

Btw @ Powerman293 Powerman293 , I just added you to the support list in the OP. That okay with you? :)

Some good news! The localization team has confirmed that there will be both American AND British VAs in the game.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
In Elma's words, "damn", I love the recent flood of replies on this thread. Keep 'em going guys! Elma needs all the support she can get! :D

Btw @ Powerman293 Powerman293 , I just added you to the support list in the OP. That okay with you? :)

Some good news! The localization team has confirmed that there will be both American AND British VAs in the game.
Nah, it's cool.

Also, very nice that we're getting a VA mix. I think it would have been sort of awkward if NOA wrestled away the voice acting control since they were the ones stubborn about localizing Xenoblade in the first place.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Both British and American voice acting are confirmed? Nintendo is really putting so much effort in the localization of this game in comparison to the first. I'll probably go with the former for nostalgic reasons since hearing the Xenoblade Chronicles cast talk in British was quite the refreshing change in comparison to most RPG's that were localized in the past.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Speaking of Xenoblade X, has there been any news of more DLC coming outside of that initial wave? I'd be down for more Skells and quests months after the game has been out.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Both British and American voice acting are confirmed? Nintendo is really putting so much effort in the localization of this game in comparison to the first. I'll probably go with the former for nostalgic reasons since hearing the Xenoblade Chronicles cast talk in British was quite the refreshing change in comparison to most RPG's that were localized in the past.
They said it would have both British and American voice acting, not British and American voice choices. Which is way cool.

Speaking of Xenoblade X, has there been any news of more DLC coming outside of that initial wave? I'd be down for more Skells and quests months after the game has been out.
Nothing so far.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They said it would have both British and American voice acting, not British and American voice choices. Which is way cool.
Right, got a bit too excited there. But it's great that there will be a wide variety of different English voice actors this time around.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Right, got a bit too excited there. But it's great that there will be a wide variety of different English voice actors this time around.
Yeah, I know, right? I assumed that since NOA Treehouse was handling the localization (instead of NOE, who handled the first Xenoblade game), that all the voices would be American. Not so. The game's setting is New Los Angeles, a new city established after Earth's destruction by the planet's survivors, so that opens up the possibility for varied characters of varied races, and accents, since they likely didn't all come from the same regions. It's pretty f***ing awesome.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know, right? I assumed that since NOA Treehouse was handling the localization (instead of NOE, who handled the first Xenoblade game), that all the voices would be American. Not so. The game's setting is New Los Angeles, a new city established after Earth's destruction by the planet's survivors, so that opens up the possibility for varied characters of varied races, and accents, since they likely didn't all come from the same regions. It's pretty f***ing awesome.
Yep. Sounds pretty awesome.

Still super excited about those Skell model kits that haven't come out yet. I want one really badly.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Does anyone else think that Xenoblade X has an amazing soundtrack? Because I sure think it does. A lot of the vocal battle themes are probably some of my favorite mecha/videogame related songs ever.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Both the XC and XCX OSTs are fantastic in their own right. My personal favorite vocal songs are "The Way" and "Your Voice". "So Nah, So Fern" is also nice. It's a shame that some people do not like XCX's soundtrack because it's vastly different from the first game.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Both the XC and XCX OSTs are fantastic in their own right. My personal favorite vocal songs are "The Way" and "Your Voice". "So Nah, So Fern" is also nice. It's a shame that some people do not like XCX's soundtrack because it's vastly different from the first game.
Uncontrollable is the second most badass song I've heard from anything associated to mecha asides from Gackt's Metamorpohoze in the Zeta Gundam movies.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think that Xenoblade X has an amazing soundtrack? Because I sure think it does. A lot of the vocal battle themes are probably some of my favorite mecha/videogame related songs ever.
I was skeptical about the soundtrack, but after listening to the soundtrack teaser a bunch of times, it really grew on me. I haven't listened to the entire soundtrack (trying to avoid any further spoilers), but what I heard was pretty awesome! As weird as it may sound, I often listen to the soundtrack teaser while washing dishes. It just always seems to fit perfectly with the time it takes me to finish them.

Also, new guy here! Since I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles X and I didn't look at any story details, I'm not 100% sure if I want Elma in Smash. But she seems pretty cool, and it looks like she has a lot of potential to be a very unique fighter, so I'm sure that I'll be wanting her in Smash eventually. I've been introduced to characters through Smash before, so I definitely wouldn't mind Elma in Smash. So I wish the best for you guys regardless!

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I was skeptical about the soundtrack, but after listening to the soundtrack teaser a bunch of times, it really grew on me. I haven't listened to the entire soundtrack (trying to avoid any further spoilers), but what I heard was pretty awesome! As weird as it may sound, I often listen to the soundtrack teaser while washing dishes. It just always seems to fit perfectly with the time it takes me to finish them.

Also, new guy here! Since I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles X and I didn't look at any story details, I'm not 100% sure if I want Elma in Smash. But she seems pretty cool, and it looks like she has a lot of potential to be a very unique fighter, so I'm sure that I'll be wanting her in Smash eventually. I've been introduced to characters through Smash before, so I definitely wouldn't mind Elma in Smash. So I wish the best for you guys regardless!
Yo! Always nice to have new support here. And yeah, it's cool to jam out to some Japanese videogame music every once in awhile.

My main fear with Elma is that we'll get a Chrom situation where the next game they'll include the customizable main character instead. Not saying that they're a bad candidate either but Elma has a much more defined personality, you know?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Welcome! Would you like to be added to the support list in the OP? Might be premature, but you did say you're positive you'll want her in eventually. ;D

My main fear with Elma is that we'll get a Chrom situation where the next game they'll include the customizable main character instead. Not saying that they're a bad candidate either but Elma has a much more defined personality, you know?
Speaking of the Chrom situation, it would totally be ironic if Elma got in over Cross. But then again, Sakurai is unpredictable.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Speaking of the Chrom situation, it would totally be ironic if Elma got in over Cross. But then again, Sakurai is unpredictable.
I don't even know if Sakurai is gonna be involved with the next game. He'll be in his 50s by then and I don't know if his body could put up with his extreme development style and fan demand any longer. Plus, his hand. Seriously, he and the Melee gods need to go hang out on a hand massage island vacation for the rest of their lives.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Yo! Always nice to have new support here. And yeah, it's cool to jam out to some Japanese videogame music every once in awhile.

I think the main problem with Chrom was that the development team felt that he wasn't unique enough to make into a new character. The only reason we got Lucina along with Robin was because Lucina was planned as an alt, and they decided to make her a character last minute.

Fortunately, Elma doesn't seem to have the same problem as Chrom, at least to my knowledge. The only thing that I can think of that could possibly be a problem for Elma would be her guns, but there are probably ways around that to make them seem a bit more "family friendly".

Welcome! Would you like to be added to the support list in the OP? Might be premature, but you did say you're positive you'll want her in eventually. ;D
The more I think about it, the more I want Elma in Smash! Sign me up!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I don't even know if Sakurai is gonna be involved with the next game. He'll be in his 50s by then and I don't know if his body could put up with his extreme development style and fan demand any longer. Plus, his hand. Seriously, he and the Melee gods need to go hang out on a hand massage island vacation for the rest of their lives.
That's a possibility, though I imagine he'll stick around a bit longer. Even if he won't be directly involved with the next game, he'll at least have a supervisory role. But yes, Sakurai and the others deserve a long break!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
That's a possibility, though I imagine he'll stick around a bit longer. Even if he won't be directly involved with the next game, he'll at least have a supervisory role. But yes, Sakurai and the others deserve a long break!
Yeah, I could see that. Maybe even as executive producer or something. Maybe he could even put himself as a character lol.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I think the main problem with Chrom was that the development team felt that he wasn't unique enough to make into a new character. The only reason we got Lucina along with Robin was because Lucina was planned as an alt, and they decided to make her a character last minute.

Fortunately, Elma doesn't seem to have the same problem as Chrom, at least to my knowledge. The only thing that I can think of that could possibly be a problem for Elma would be her guns, but there are probably ways around that to make them seem a bit more "family friendly".
Agreed! I'm curious how they'd make her guns more "family friendly"? Maybe make her bullets invisible and only show fire bursts from her guns? I guess it would be similar to Sheik's needles. Would that work?

The more I think about it, the more I want Elma in Smash! Sign me up!
Done!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Agreed! I'm curious how they'd make her guns more "family friendly"? Maybe make her bullets invisible and only show fire bursts from her guns? I guess it would be similar to Sheik's needles. Would that work?
Considering Smash 4 has Zero Suit Samus, Shirtless Shulk and Pole twirling as one of Palutena's taunts, I think guns are the least of their problems.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Considering Smash 4 has Zero Suit Samus, Shirtless Shulk and Pole twirling as one of Palutena's taunts, I think guns are the least of their problems.
I really feel like that should be the case. Characters are aloud to impale each other with swords, but the moment guns are brought up, suddenly everything becomes taboo.

Snake's moveset in Brawl is a prime example of that. Sakurai stated that the team worked hard to incorperate Snake's moveset without firearms, yet they gave him realistic explosives that would be much more violent in real life. If the depiction of violence through guns is handled delicately, then it really shouldn't be a big issue.

Heck, the game "Shadow the Hedgehog" featured plenty of firearms that shot ACTUAL BULLETS, and it still managed to stick with an E10 rating.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I really feel like that should be the case. Characters are aloud to impale each other with swords, but the moment guns are brought up, suddenly everything becomes taboo.

Snake's moveset in Brawl is a prime example of that. Sakurai stated that the team worked hard to incorperate Snake's moveset without firearms, yet they gave him realistic explosives that would be much more violent in real life. If the depiction of violence through guns is handled delicately, then it really shouldn't be a big issue.

Heck, the game "Shadow the Hedgehog" featured plenty of firearms that shot ACTUAL BULLETS, and it still managed to stick with an E10 rating.
Which is why if it is an issue, I think they should just wait until Smash 5 to put her in anyways, so they could not run into an issue with the ratings in 4 through DLC.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I think guns are more of an issue with Sakurai then the rating (which is basically still rated teen in Japan). You can sort of see this when he pointed out they tried to make the ray gun look less like a real gun in this game.

At least Elma has plenty of alternatives to using guns if they don't want to incorporate that into her moveset, or at least I infer she would.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

This might just be me but I think it'd be kinda weird if Xenoblade's second rep was a player character, Robin was Fire emblem's 4th rep and he at least had a proper personality.

Guns are much more common than guns or explosives though. You won't see a sword in someone's house but you could see a gun.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Elma's potential moveset is Xenoblade X didn't make what Elma is fully capable of very clear. Perhaps she is capable of pulling off the same feats as KOS-MOS which I think it's not out of the realm of possibility considering other characters have some kind of powers of their own like Ga Bow, Luxzaal, Liz, etc. Elma seems to be the kind of girl that would sprout angel wings on her back like KOS-MOS. http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...OSWings.png/revision/latest?cb=20150408050115
I have a feeling Elma is a special being even among her people.

Perhaps Elma is Mary Magdalene like KOS-MOS. Elma is just filled with untold mysteries.

Attachments

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Guns are much more common than guns or explosives though. You won't see a sword in someone's house but you could see a gun.
That's a pretty good point. It might not be the violence that's the issue, but it's what the gun represents. It's a realistic weapon that many people could easily come across.

Guns are illegal to the general public in my country, the only times I ever see guns are in movies and video games, so I can't fully relate to that. But I can see why some people might not want to see guns in a videogame they can play with their family.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Soundtracks that should be Smash in my opinion:
MONOX
THEMEX
Black tar
Uncontrollable
NO.EX01
Wir fliegen
CODENAMEZ
CR17S19S8
aBOreSSs
raTEoREkiSImeAra
The Way
So nah, so fern
The key we've lost
Your Voice

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
@ Senatiator Senatiator I did not fully read all your posts as I have a feeling that they are major spoilers. Please edit your posts by adding spoiler tags. I already asked this in the thread title. Other people and me do not wish to be spoiled, so please respect that and try to refrain from doing it again. Thanks.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Elma's potential moveset is Xenoblade X didn't make what Elma is fully capable of very clear. Perhaps she is capable of pulling off the same feats as KOS-MOS which I think it's not out of the realm of possibility considering other characters have some kind of powers of their own like Ga Bow, Luxzaal, Liz, etc. Elma seems to be the kind of girl that would sprout angel wings on her back like KOS-MOS. http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...OSWings.png/revision/latest?cb=20150408050115
I have a feeling Elma is a special being even among her people.

Perhaps Elma is Mary Magdalene like KOS-MOS. Elma is just filled with untold mysteries.
Moveset-wise, turning Elma into KOS-MOS 3.0 for Super Smash Bros would be a bad idea as that will attract hatred from some people, especially KOS-MOS fans in a similar vein of turning a Advance Wars character into a Snake clone. Sure some people look at Elma and think she's "practically the same thing" well she's closer than Fiora and maybe even T-elos but Elma is not a robot and I don't think Elma can breathe in space. It would feel insulting especially with how Xenosaga Episode 3 ended and they would generally prefer having the "original KOS-MOS" instead. Her " KOS-MOS twin-ness" shouldn't extend to her combat abilities, not completely at least. It's better if she has an original moveset of her own and something that isn't like everyone else.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It's not like Elma has to wield real guns. I think there are blasters in the game.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Elma can only wield Dual Blades and Guns in XCX. If my assumption is correct, they seem to be her signature weapons like Shulk's Monado. It seems that only Cross has the ability to choose any type of weapon. I really hope they don't change her Dual Guns to a different weapon type as that would completely alter the look of her Blades. Maybe keep the Dual Guns, but have it function as a blaster?

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Elma can only wield Dual Blades and Guns in XCX. If my assumption is correct, they seem to be her signature weapons like Shulk's Monado. It seems that only Cross has the ability to choose any type of weapon. I really hope they don't change her Dual Guns to a different weapon type as that would completely alter the look of her Blades. Maybe keep the Dual Guns, but have it function as a blaster?
If only Cross can change his weapons (which I haven't thought about), then your conclusion seems logical: have the guns function as blasters. I mean, it's not like her dual guns/blades are her versions of the Monado, or any kind of special iconic ancient weapon - maybe that's just her specialty, which is dual-wielding guns and blades.

Top Bottom