• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Metal Jaguar BLADE Captain: Elma [Smash DLC] *No XCX spoilers, please!* 37 Days Until XCX!

Should Elma appear in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS?

• Total voters

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
The story trailer further cemented my belief that Elma is the main character, at least for the story. The avatar seems to be designed for the online aspect of the game. The avatar may have some involvement in the story, but it's pretty clear to me that Elma is the main character.

I'm praying for a huge success in Japan and worldwide so that we can perhaps see her in Smash as a character. :)

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
English Direct is finally coming!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034359

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

"Visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct on Friday, April 24, at 11:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. ET for a video showcase about Xenoblade Chronicles X, an upcoming open-world role-playing game for the Wii U console. And keep watching after the showcase for a Nintendo Treehouse: Live presentation featuring the game. These videos will be available in English only."

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Some English names (old name = new name):
Primordial Wilderness = Primordia
Noctilucent Forest = Noctilum
Valley of Oblivion = Oblivia
Land of White Wood = Sylvalum
Land of Black Steel = Cauldros
Navigation Ball = Nav Ball
Life Point = Lifehold
Hopper Camera = Hopper Cam
Vyer = Prone
Ma Non = Manon
Doll = Skell

Slightly disappointed we didn't get a release time frame for other regions, but oh well. We should (we better!) get something at E3 in over 1 1/2 month!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Hello! I am now the new thread owner since @BlueSorrow has been inactive for months. I plan on continually updating the thread, as long as everybody posts spoilers in spoiler tags!

By the way, some people have the game and there are a few livestreams happening. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post links to the streams. Better to be safe than sorry!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Here's a collection of some videos of the game!

Opening cutscene (same as last year, except no commentary)

Elma and Cross get a better view of Primordia.

Elma and Cross enter NLA for the first time. Background music is THEMEX. (fun fact: the vocal song, The Way, from the latest story trailer, is a reprise of this song)

Spoiler tagging this one because it's pretty new footage that not everyone is familiar with. It's just gameplay footage of a later area, nothing too spoilerific.
In this footage, the party is exploring Noctilum.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Hey, just wanted to drop by and say I support Elma so hard. She looks like an absolutely amazing character from what we've seen of her in X so far, and I'd love to see her in Smash. She's my next DLC pick after Fiora or Melia.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Elma is shaping up to be the KOS-MOS/Fiora of the game, imo. I'm just judging by the trailer. She is definitely in my top picks for smash. I think I'm going to like her a lot.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Fan art time, no spoilers I promise! I spoiler tagged the images since there are soooo many of them.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I've just had a change of mind. If we do get a second Xenoblade character, I think it should definitely be Elma, or someone from Xenoblade Chronicles X. We already have Shulk promoting the first game and its remake, so in that sense, Fiora would be redundant. If they want to promote the sequel, I think they should definitely add somebody from the sequel.

From what I've seen of the videos, Elma has plenty of potential for a unique and cool moveset. And, besides the avatar, it seems Elma is the first major character to make an appearance in the main story. So if we did get a character from X, I could definitely see it being Elma, if not the avatar.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I've just had a change of mind. If we do get a second Xenoblade character, I think it should definitely be Elma, or someone from Xenoblade Chronicles X. We already have Shulk promoting the first game and its remake, so in that sense, Fiora would be redundant. If they want to promote the sequel, I think they should definitely add somebody from the sequel.

From what I've seen of the videos, Elma has plenty of potential for a unique and cool moveset. And, besides the avatar, it seems Elma is the first major character to make an appearance in the main story. So if we did get a character from X, I could definitely see it being Elma, if not the avatar.
*adds you to the support list*

Oh wait. You were already in the list. Haha. Glad you changed your mind, though. :)

She really does have a lot of potential for a unique moveset. I really love that crazy back-sideways-twirling-flip thing that she does in battle. I hope it becomes part of her moveset if she's ever in Smash. :D

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Oh wow, I'm gonna ask him to make one for KOS-MOS.

Edit: that member hasn't been active since October of last year?

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
They just released Iwata Asks: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Some interesting tidbits I found from the interview:
* The setting was the first thing they worked on (the "first pillar" of the game)
* Director Takahashi basically conceived the plot before development of the game.
* Scriptwriter Takeda was overwhelmed, so they hired another scriptwriter (Hyodo)
* The scenarios took about 1.5 year to write, including the quests.
* Takahashi said that the game "might" be shorter than XC, but the sidequests have more depth to them.
* ~3,000% (or 30 times) more sidequests compared to XC.
* Originally had a defined main protagonist, but removed to suit the online aspect of the game. Therefore, they had to make major adjustments to the story.
* 11,000 battle lines compared to XC's 3,000. They initially debated whether to include the lines or not because some people didn't like them.
* Takahashi suggested Sawano as the composer of the game. Sawano was pretty much enthusiastic, including some vocal songs.

Altais

Smash Champion
Whoa, judging from that interview, it sounds like they put a lot of thought and heart into the project. The game is certainly much larger than I originally anticipated it to be. I can't wait until it's released outside of Japan.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Check out Elma's outfit - it's pure gold! (don't click the spoiler button if you don't wish to see her in a different outfit. There's no spoiler, just different clothes.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, did anyone catch any livestreams of the game yet? I got ~4 hours of the 6 1/2 GameXplain did today.

Honestly, "Cross" and the player protagonist in general seemed pretty... vestigial to the story and is just kinda written in to be a part of Blade while Elma and even Lynnlee had more flushed out character (guess an advantage of not being custom characters in a spoken dialogue-heavy rpg) . This is going off of visible personality and usage in cutscenes because I don't speak or read a lick of japanese.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So, did anyone catch any livestreams of the game yet? I got ~4 hours of the 6 1/2 GameXplain did today.

Honestly, "Cross" and the player protagonist in general seemed pretty... vestigial to the story and is just kinda written in to be a part of Blade while Elma and even Lynnlee had more flushed out character. This is going off of personality and usage in cutscenes because I don't speak or read a lick of japanese.
I didn't read your post because I do not wish to be spoiled. Is it a spoiler?

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

Honestly, "Cross" and the player protagonist in general seemed pretty... vestigial to the story and is just kinda written in to be a part of Blade while Elma and even Lynnlee had more flushed out character. This is going off of personality and usage in cutscenes because I don't speak or read a lick of japanese.
I was honestly sortof hoping that would be the case. I feel like customizable player avatars can be a major detriment to stories, so having the actual story be about Elma was what I was hoping for.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Haha, I'm not clicking any spoilers here. Forget it! Yeah, I heard you can make Cross look like past xeno characters and KOS-MOS's voice was a voice option in the JPN version. If it is, 60 bucks right there cause I can make her :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I didn't read your post because I do not wish to be spoiled. Is it a spoiler?
It is as much of a spoiler as the E3 footage. It's a SPECULATION based on more footage than we had previously on how generally the cast is used in the few cutscenes seen in the first few hours of the game and nothing about what actually goes on during them or gameplay.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It is as much of a spoiler as the E3 footage. It's a SPECULATION based on more footage than we had previously on how generally the cast is used in the few cutscenes seen in the first few hours of the game and nothing about what actually goes on during them or gameplay.
Okay, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a spoiler. :)

After reading your post, I'm honestly not surprised that Elma and Lynlee are sort of the main characters. Elma and Lynlee are on the box cover art and they both were especially prominent in the three showcases (World, Battle, and Skells).

I imagine the top three XCX contenders for Smash are Cross, Elma, and Lynlee (and to a lesser extent, a Nopon character). Obviously due to my bias, I think Elma has the best chance.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The short way of saying things is that there are two real ways to have an avatar or "MyUnit" character work within a game.

Fire Emblem 12: While crafted into the story and having unique character conversations and such, may often feels like an "upgraded generic unit" who happens to be present while the plot focuses on and is driven by a protagonist (or protagonists) around them.

Fire Emblem 13: :4robinm::4robinf:, a specific character who is used by the story as a foil to another protagonist or protagonists while they develop personally, become a crux to the cast, and have a significant impact of the plot, particularly towards the end.

Off of what I got just from mannerisms and the way dialogue was used in my short viewing with 0% language understanding, Cross feels more of the former than the latter. Pure speculation, but it'd be in the favor or someone such as Lynlee or Elma to be considered for Smash 4 DLC or Smash 5.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, "Cross" and the player protagonist in general seemed pretty... vestigial to the story and is just kinda written in to be a part of Blade while Elma and even Lynnlee had more flushed out character (guess an advantage of not being custom characters in a spoken dialogue-heavy rpg) . This is going off of visible personality and usage in cutscenes because I don't speak or read a lick of japanese.
I watched some of it and the ending as well. Elma is just full of surprises. I just hope we get a sequel because some questions were not answered. :(
Haha, I'm not clicking any spoilers here. Forget it! Yeah, I heard you can make Cross look like past xeno characters and KOS-MOS's voice was a voice option in the JPN version. If it is, 60 bucks right there cause I can make her :)
Making KOS-MOS is redundant because of
Elma.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I watched some of it and the ending as well. Elma is just full of surprises. I just hope we get a sequel because some questions were not answered. :(

Making KOS-MOS is redundant because of
Elma.
Not to be mean or anything but did you really have to mention she is full of surprises? You also had to mention it in regard to the ending. I want to be surprised myself. And, I really don't understand how that is redundant.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Not to be mean or anything but did you really have to mention she is full of surprises? You also had to mention it in regard to the ending. I want to be surprised myself. And, I really don't understand how that is redundant.
If you seen the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles X you'll understand.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
If you seen the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles X you'll understand.
That is exactly my point. You are hinting at something that many of us don't want to know about. We aren't getting the game for a while so I would like the information to be kept low. Honestly am quite ticked off that you mentioned that stuff. Spoiler tag it next time.

Altais

Smash Champion
I just watched the prologue of the game in the below video, and thought it looked great. For the most part, the video doesn't reveal anything we don't already know. In the video, the user translates everything written and spoken in the game. The avatar customisation is much more diverse than I thought it would be. I already know exactly how I'm going to make mine avatar once the game is out overseas.

[collapse="Video"]
[/collapse]

Well, now that the game is out, I think I might avoid Smashboards as well as other gaming sites for the time being, since I really don't want to be spoiled.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Based on the length of translation the game will probably have to go through, I think the game will be delayed in 2016. We'll be full of spoilers by the time it releases in America.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Based on the length of translation the game will probably have to go through, I think the game will be delayed in 2016. We'll be full of spoilers by the time it releases in America.
And I am still going to avoid every single one. I did it for Tales of Xillia, Xenoblade, FF-Type-0 and many other games.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd like to see Elma as DLC but there's so much content in XBX. It would be a shame to see only Elma but not the vast wealth of content included as well. Music, staged, trophies, etc.

Top Bottom