• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best Lucas main...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Oh God. I don't even main Lucas but I bet I could place top 7 in a major tournament with him.
No offense meant to be given... but... lol

but seriously it's all about practice that makes things important

My good friend actually mains a Link and kicks my friends ROB *** all the time because he's been training with Link since the begining of Brawl whereas the ROB has only been training for about four months

lil cj

Smash Lord
Lucas is one of the worst characters in the game..., look at his tier placement.

I do agree with the fact that maybe we're all playing the character the wrong way, but let's be honest, this is Brawl. The one strategy you will ALWAYS resort to is camping and I'm sure most of you have noticed by now, Lucas is a very defensive character, so no one here should be afraid to practically pitch a tent out there during a match.

We don't need to start a project to see why our character is bad, but if you do, just copy and paste Galeon's post, because he basically covered everything there. Making a character with limited options for approaching is extremely difficult, so if you're really willing to work on it, expect that to take a long time.

I see/hear that all the time. Don't get grabbed. Once again I'll respond with the same thing I say each and every time. EASIER SAID THAN DONE!! Do you really suggest we stay in the air against characters like Metaknight and even Ness who **** us in the air?

I think I just became diabetic from all the sweet naive things I read about Lucas being special and having untapped potential ='(

We don't approach with fair, because all the opponent has to do is use a move that outprioritized our fair or they can shieldgrab us and punish us like crazy.
How exactly can we approach with Uair or Utilt, I'd really like that one explained.

Freeze practically helps our opponents recover and you're just begging for them to come back onstage and **** us. Dash..., are you serious? Dash? Have you seen that move? We get absolutely ***** if we use that move. We can get shieldgrabbed, hit bit a more powerful move, or the opponent can avoid it all together and punish afterwards. That is a horrible move to approach with, unless you know?... You play with computers or people that like to take hits for no reason whatsoever.

I didnt say approach with fair,utilt and uair?? lol(even though you can approach with uair, it has alot of priority and speed but lacks range)
I said it should be used more in the right situation
And pk freeze/dash attack was just suggestions of moves we dont really use that much
but still there as an option

As for Lucas being one of the worst...not true
He's mid tier material imo
your saying its based off the tier list
Tier list mean nothing on how good a character is
its about popularity and tournament wins
Since theres not alot of Lucas' at tournies or placing high
of course he is going to be low on the list
If nobody used MK and didnt place with him then he would be low too lol

Im just looking on the bright side of things:)

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I'm getting better. My ONLY real problem is getting impatient. 7 min matches bore me. Now, I started breathing and calming down myself.

Not really sure what anyone else is talking about, though.

So much Super Theory Bros in this thread.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
It's good to see people think Lucas has potential, but people generally think their main has potential to develop their metagame more than others because they know that character better than the others.

To the people saying that Lucas has potential to be doing better, you could say thay about any low tierer, what makes Lucas have potential to do better as opposed to the other low tierers?

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Galeon, APC, and others have actually won important tournies (amiright?). Lucas has the potential to compete at high levels of play. How high is what we don't know. I do believe Lucas is mid-tier material.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Fox isn't WAY better than lucas. I think we're all underestimating the little kid here. Hes not one of the worst characters in the game. Seriously guys, look at FOW. Ness is lower than lucas on the tier list and hes not WAAAAY better than lucas yet FOW ***** all these pros and places well at big tournies.

Oh, lol. We can't approach with Fair? Retreat that ****. I don't think we'll get shieldgrabbed if we retreat Fair unless their D3

These boards are so ****ing inactive it's not even funny. Matchup thread, dead. Q&A thread, dead. All of our threads that could help us further the metagame are dead..........
;_;
Point of the matter is that Fox is a better character than Lucas and he's more threatening than Lucas. See, one of Lucas' problems is that he has a hard time approaching, Ness on the otherhand doesn't, his fair is ridiculous guys, all you have to do is approach with that. FOW also has the fact that many people don't have Ness experience going for him and Lucas may have the same thing going for him, but his methods of approaching are predictable. Lastly, FOW is just the fecking man >.<

Yeah, I do agree with you there. These boards really need some activity going on, none of us are gonna make any progress if we don't help each other along. Unless you know..., one of you out there is playing Brawl 5 hours a day for 5 days.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I agree with being realistic as well, but since we have the time to try than we might as well. There's no point in giving up. One thing I've learned is to keep persevering whether it's in piano competitions or in brawl competitions, if you have the patience to try, then go for it. Anything can happen.

lil cj

Smash Lord
It's good to see people think Lucas has potential, but people generally think their main has potential to develop their metagame more than others because they know that character better than the others.

To the people saying that Lucas has potential to be doing better, you could say thay about any low tierer, what makes Lucas have potential to do better as opposed to the other low tierers?
Because Lucas is actually mid tier material
just like Sonic, they are in the same category.
The other low tiers are where they belong on the list.
Im not saying he's better just has more potential than the rest
of the low tiers imo

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
At best Lucas is low mid tier, barely even making it into Low Tier.
Sonic isn't Mid Tier, if you ask most Sonic mains about the subject, they say that Sonic being that high was just fanboy service on the last tier. Some have even dropped him because they know they can't win low tier tournaments with him anymore and they know they can't even win regular tournaments.

Lucas probably is the best Low Tier though, M2K has said it himself.
I don't wanna see Lucas go Mid Tier though, as happy as I'd be to see him excel, using him afterwards wouldn't mean much because he's not Low Tier anymore and whatever we accomplish won't seem impressive anymore.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
winning with a low-tier is much more satisfying then winning with a high-tier like Meta-Knight and besides... tiers don't matter, it's matchups

tiers seem more like a loose guide to how their match-ups are

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
winning with a low-tier is much more satisfying then winning with a high-tier like Meta-Knight and besides... tiers don't matter, it's matchups

tiers seem more like a loose guide to how their match-ups are
You do have a point there, the tier is just a loose guide as to what character has the best match-ups over the entire roster.

I think the moment you guys accept that Lucas is a bad character, then we can start making progress.
Unlike Melee, I highly doubt Brawl is gonna be full of deep secrets.
Even to this day people are still finding stuff out about Melee, but Brawl on the other hand..., not much to do this game guys, besides camping :D

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
so the only way to win is to accept that we're bad and figure out a way around our bad-match ups because only saying that he's mid-tier potential won't do anything unless we say he has match up potential with _____ and focus on that match-up more... I don't like how people complain how he's low-tier... if you're going to be that way, why are you using Lucas seriously... we have to accept we're bad and deal with it the best way we can

lil cj

Smash Lord
But its hard to say Lucas is bad:(
...he's our main!
But if it will allow us to move forward theres no other choice
Lucas......sucks:(

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
It's not that we're bad (well not all of us >.>), but our character handicaps our ability to excel, but it's our personal choice to keep on using him and try to advance his metagame. Unless we find out some incredible hidden trick with Lucas or one of us steps up and becomes god-like with our character, Lucas is just gonna seem like a push-over to most of the community, which at this point in time, he pretty much is.

But its hard to say Lucas is bad:(
...he's our main!
But if it will allow us to move forward theres no other choice
Lucas......sucks:(
I totally agree with you CJ, I was somewhat heartbroken when I came to the realization of how bad Lucas actually is =/
I love the character and I've put a lot of time into understanding the way he works, but at the end of the day it's hard to get around the fact that he is bad compared to more than half the roster. I still choose to play him because he's the character who I have the most fun playing, but I'd never try and win a tourney with him.

I don't think there's anything really left to be said in this thread.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol Lucas is low tier. In fact, I think he should be lower than he is. Doesn't mean you can't be good with him. Nothing in this game doesn't have an answer, even if the answer is really difficult to come by.

I love how many posts this thread has gotten lol.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't mean you can't be good with him. Nothing in this game doesn't have an answer, even if the answer is really difficult to come by.
QFT

I agree Lucas has disadvantages. I agree he is harder to use, him being low tier. but like I said before, the people that would spend hours a day practicing would rather invest that time in a high tier.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
lol Lucas is low tier. In fact, I think he should be lower than he is. Doesn't mean you can't be good with him. Nothing in this game doesn't have an answer, even if the answer is really difficult to come by.

I love how many posts this thread has gotten lol.
Yeah, Lucas probably should be lower than where he actually is on the Tier =[

Lol same here, but hey, this just means the boards are finally alive and maybe we can accomplish something... or keep arguing/discussing about things that don't matter.
Either/or is fine with me ;p

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I think Mario and Ness both are better overall characters than Lucas is. But that's just my personal opinion.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I've won friendly tournaments with Lucas. My friends hate when I play Lucas. But my friendly tournaments are nothing in comparison to "bigger" or "real" tournament if you will. I agree that for the most part I suck at playing Lucas in the end just because if I "need" to win I'll go D3 or Wario or Marth or ZSS even.

Lucas can do it though, like the Reflex / PKMN Trainer example. Maybe I should focus on my Lucas...

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I think Mario and Ness both are better overall characters than Lucas is. But that's just my personal opinion.
Ness, yes. Just not many people play the character at a high level like FOW, but I think he's more threatening than Lucas.

I don't know about Mario..., but then again, I've seen Pierce's Mario beat ADHD's Diddy Kong.
I've also seen Kirin's Mario take a game off Inui's Metaknight at Apex...

Maybe Mario is more threatening than Lucas... =/

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Oh, heck yes.

Well, I'm still on the fence about Ness... I still think for the most part he and Lucas are about even in terms of how good they are. But Mario just has so many options, especially when it comes to his aerials. And his edge game is ridiculous, there's no debating that.

It's too bad about Dedede. :/ Mario is really underrated and I would really like to see this community swarming with Marios at the end of Brawl's lifespan, but I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Either way... Ness, Lucas, and Mario make insanely good doubles partners, even if they appear lacking in singles. That's something, I guess.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I've won friendly tournaments with Lucas. My friends hate when I play Lucas. But my friendly tournaments are nothing in comparison to "bigger" or "real" tournament if you will. I agree that for the most part I suck at playing Lucas in the end just because if I "need" to win I'll go D3 or Wario or Marth or ZSS even.

Lucas can do it though, like the Reflex / PKMN Trainer example. Maybe I should focus on my Lucas...
Yeah, any of us could probably win like a friendly tournament around our respective areas..., but after we start going to real stuff there's no way we're really seen as a threat.

Reflex plays with a better character ma du, we discussed that a few pages back.
Are you gonna be our Lucas messiah and **** M2K, SK92, and Ally with Lucas?

Man..., are we really gonna keep using the same example over and over again?
Reflex does well in tournaments, but he's not exactly going around winning everything and he has a Wario to fall back on, so even if he is the best Pokemon Trainer out there, he still has to depend on his Wario, so we can't say he wins tournaments with PT alone.

It's cool being beastly with a Low Tier and beating others, BUT! truth be told, it's just not that impressive...

That is unless you're name is Gimpyfish and you play Bowser and even then..., that's a ****ing amazing name

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
No matter what happens, I'll stick by the kid, if not all the way, at least somewhat...I'm still waxing into tourneys, and my second tournament last weekend, I managed 2nd place.

Iono, at least gives me some hope that Lucases can kick names and take ***.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Mango is the best Lucas main.

and you guys are playing a charecter that is secretly high tier. Shame on your for not rapping. I've watched your matches, and you guys play mad boring. You limit yourself. Whatev. I'm gonna get really good with lucas, and go woop on Boss, Omni, Greg and Meep in a couple months.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Mango is the best Lucas main.

and you guys are playing a charecter that is secretly high tier. Shame on your for not rapping. I've watched your matches, and you guys play mad boring. You limit yourself. Whatev. I'm gonna get really good with lucas, and go woop on Boss, Omni, Greg and Meep in a couple months.
Mango huh??....any vids??
Yea we havnt unlocked Lucas' high tier potential yet lol
Its not as easy as it seems though:(
But thats the kind of ethusiasm Lucas needs right now
Thanks Crashic:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom