• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best Lucas main...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Who the best Lucas main is essentially a useless question.

There are no Lucas mains that are anywhere near the calibur of player that Ally, M2K, Dojo etc. are.

If you don't believe me, look at tournament results. Then look at videos of the tournament attending Lucas players. We're not placing well and we're repeatedly making enormous mistakes in spacing, punishment and DI.

What I'm trying to say here is, we suck.

It's not because we're playing a low tier character.

It's not because we have a bad matchup against Marth, Metaknight and other common tournament characters.

It's because we suck.

Lucas has the potential to win tournaments.

Discuss

Galeon

Smash Ace
It's not because we're playing a low tier character.

It's not because we have a bad matchup against Marth, Metaknight and other common tournament characters.

It's because we suck.

Lucas has the potential to win tournaments.

Discuss
Eeeeerm, although I'll agree that we suck, I'm gonna have to disagree that Lucas being low tier and having bad matchups against commonly used top tiers (and borderline unwinnable matchups against some less used ones) has nothing to do with it.

Looking at the tier list, no character in the general area of Lucas is winning tournies. Even chars like Yoshi (who don't do half-bad against MK) aren't taken too seriously. Lucas is bad. He has some nice tricks, early kills (if the opponent decides that he likes to airdodges into the ****) and a great recovery if nobody gets in his way. Problem is that many of his tricks are punishable, like how you can react to a magnet pull and get a free hit; early kills shouldn't happen against good people for a number of good reasons I'll explain if somebody wants me to; and while his recovery goes really far, it is waaaaay too easy to **** with. Even the logic behind is recovery is awful: You have 1.5 seconds to destroy Lucas, he will stand perfectly still in mid-air because he wants it. During this recovery, he will even be forced to di down and away for a good duration of it because game designers thought it'd be HILARIOUS.

We're not getting alot done in tournies but that's pretty disrespectful to say that it is clearly our fault since Lucas is great. He's... not. If the people who are saying Lucas is underrated are the same people that 5 mins ago said "Woooah, how did Lucas jump so high?", they don't know anything about the character's strengths or faults and are making baseless statements.

Think about it. Lucas is a close range damage racker, mid-long range spacer and a mid range killer. Know what the problem with that is? Just about every char in the game can force him out of his element and **** him at the range he chooses. The ones that can't are the chars that Lucas happens to beat. Against inexperienced people, Lucas probably seems amazing cause he can 'pressure shields' and has such fast moves and can randomly deal out high damage. All of that goes away with experience. ALL OF IT. Pressure shields? My balls, roll away, Lucas can't do **** about it. Even if he predicts your roll, unless you're Samus, you can react before Lucas reaches you unless he shamelessly dash attacks in anticipation. That's not even getting into the yomi that is heavily not in lucas's favor most of the time. Lucas nairs your shield, he's gotta guess now. The person blocking might as well block because none of Lucas's options outside of grab are gonna be advantageous. If he jabs, just about every char in the game can shieldgrab the first jab (only exception being if they were spaced away). If they tried to grab before the jab, they get jabbed for... /gasp 10% undiminished with no followups.

The Lucas could nair twice but that gets beat by shameless shield grab. Most Lucas's will ftilt with no intention of big damage but just trying to punish shield grabs/oos options. Great option but now we're back to the rolling away issue. While all of that doesn't seem so bad, you gotta realize that Lucas isn't effective if he's not in your face. Know the best part? The chars with GOOD oos options. Lucas gets **** on by bowser, marth, mk, gw up-b's oos. So back to long range... Pk fires for 8% undiminished don't rack up fast. The times he does get in, 10% jabs aren't much scarier. A char like Snake could force Lucas to approach, putting out way more damage as a threat and then kick your *** in close range too. Does that mean the Lucas failed somewhere in there? Not really, this is just a char flaw we've all been working with. Even Wario who has to fight in close range like Lucas is much harder to hit, racks up as much damage as you with stronger individual pokes (yes, 20% fsmashes mmm) and has the potential to kill you much earlier. But these are top tier chars, let's go down the list.

Wolf. This char gets ***** by all the top tiers and has a terrible recovery. So why's he so much better than Lucas? Cause he has stuff. Great FAST kill moves, a passive aggressive spacing game that outdamages Lucas's by a good bit and is generally more intimidating. If a Wolf bairs your shield, you know how many people shieldgrab it? Nobody. That's char respect. They know they're just asking for a quick followup that would bring on a heavy damage or killing smash. Now how many times do you hit shieldgrabs as Lucas? I bet you do it all day. Cause Lucas simply isn't scary. Nair has no range so you had to already guess right to make it a pressure move. Fair even when done with no lag is shieldgrabbable unless your retreat. Only scary approach would be dair which has its own list of problems.

So let's pretend Lucas is amazing and we've all been playing him wrong since the start of brawl. Let's focus on his strengths. He has good tilts and can kill. He can also edgeguard some chars (MK being one of them so good ****, Lucas). Lucas can space other close range chars with his tilts. That's great, that's how I play as a matter of fact. Problem is the killing part. Lucas has no means of setting up kills generally. Think about Pit. If your airdodge his uair, you get fsmashed/fair'ed/bair'ed. It's a trap. Lucas doesn't have cool tricks like this. He's watching your roll/sidestep pattern and trying to hit those unless you're bad and like to airdodge onto Lucas's stage (see: requesting the d!ck). If your airdodge Lucas's uair (why? hit the *****. even if it trades, it's not gonna kill you till 160 undiminished...), you get ftilted. Since this is Lucas's primary spacing move, it's not gonna kill you. If an uair that woulda hit got airdodged, there's no time to fsmash. It'll get blocked. There are bluffs and stuff but in matches against really good players, you can't expect to mindgame the player into fsmash each stock. I'm sure people would like to disagree with this, but mr. shield beats lucases who want to kill. Lucas edgeguarding is good, as long as it's a char with no options. MK's who have no Lucas experience will explain because Lucas can keep MK offstage easily... unless MK waits for Lucas to do... anything then recovers in the lag. Chars like Ganon who have no options are gonna take it, so that's something... I guess.

Another Lucas issue is that his rock-paper-scissors is more dangerous/ineffective than alot of others chars in the game since he lacks a fast grab. It's really easy to shieldwhore Lucas. Him trying to mix in grabs gives other chars options they shouldn't have. Whiffing grabs and getting Ike fsmashed on reaction isn't fun. When most other chars mix up, they don't have to accept these types of punishments. There's not even much incentive to play the poking game all day since Lucas doesn't even do that much damage. Even his heaviest damage setups like dair become really low damage when the opponent sdi's up.

There's also gimmicks. Watching Lucas is fun cause in a random vid, you'll see a Lucas pkt2 some player for 43%. That's sooo much damage!!! and... it'll only happen once. **** like that shouldn't happen. After enough experience vs Lucas, you know how far you can chase him out, you know how long you have to punish him, you know how to outprioritize his pkt2 and you know when to airdodge. Even things like b-stick pk fires aren't scary against people who know Lucas. Walk block eventually corners Lucas. Magnet pull? No need to anticipate. Wait for it and hit him in his lag. Don't worry, you have time. Lucas spacing with that high priority dair? Trade if you can (5-10% compared to the move you're doing) or block and treat it like a nair. Pivot grab it if you want. You have the option.

There's also the issue that some chars cut off Lucas's options just by being that char. How many Snakes/DDD's can your shield pressure with nair then space an fsmash? The answer is 0. Even bad snakes can ftilt out of shield and it'll hit any range you could reasonably hit with fsmash/ftilt the farthest you can di away after a nair. Even bad DDD's can shamelessly shieldgrab your nair before you hit their shield, at any side you're di'ing away or just when you land 100% of the time. If they aren't, they don't have the Lucas experience/timing. So what does this mean for Lucas? Against Snake, upon landing, he has to block (after blocking 1st ftilt, he can jab before the 2nd for...... 10 DAMAGE!!!!) or land and jab before the ftilt can come out for.......10 DAMAGE!!!. Same thing for DDD. Cept if the DDD doesn't suck, he'll realize your options (1 of which isn't block btw since grab beats block) and grab. You can jab but any good DDD will know that's your option, wait for a jab and grab you across the stage for 30 damage into dtilt. You know what happens when you guess right?.......... 10 DAM.... you get it.

But Galeon! You could di behind these guys and take away their options. That's where matchup stuff comes in. DDD could just throw out a grab whenever you run at him. Beats nair, block and sometimes trades with fair. That's.... pretty fair. You shouldn't even be able to run close enough to DDD to decide that you can land behind him with nair.

There's also the situation that Lucas cannot chase people. This is something people don't really bring up because... who plays Lucas? To make the point the clearest, let's go with one of the best runners: Wario. If he runs from you, you won't catch him. He can jump... jump away. Jump... airdodge. You know what you're gonna do about it? Nothing that works. But Galeon! You can pk fire his landing. He can choose how close he lands to you. Since pk fire does have a startup, with Lucas experience, he'll know where he has to land to have enough time to block. You can throw out predicting fairs but aggressive fairs are less effective because of how the hitbox works. It's a valid option but if you whiffed, you're gonna get hit back from more damage which can actually lead into a combo. You know what happens when you land a fair? Nothing, you get to guess and try to bull**** together an escapable setup. If he wants to, he could just let you approach. Lucas approaching is a sad sight. I play a ZSS time to time, you know which approaches beat d-smash?... Pk fire. Think about that. So when Lucas has to deal with sneaking inside Snake's invisible dome of tilts, MK's up-b range, DDD's grab range, it's all multiple predictions that lead to your all important...... 10 DAMAGE!!!

So Lucas. Regardless of how much everyone likes him here, I'm sorry, he's bad. He has less options than many chars and the options he does have are less effective than just about everyone else unless it comes down to pure kill power. Luckily, that's why teams is amazing. You can just focus on your strengths without having someone abuse your many flaws in a 1 on 1.

I've been playing this game since before it came out. I'm by no means a genius at this game but I understand it really well. Lucas is a char with no setups, an abusable recovery, a really lacking approach game, a rock-paper-scissors game without a paper, and a pressure game that only works on some characters when they don't know how to deal with it. He's not even good on paper when people get to understand the char.

He's not garbage, though. He has a bunch of nice things that have kept me playing him all this time. However playing Lucas means that you're not playing with the same tools that everyone else is. I also decided to omit how easy it is to counterpick Lucas because I didn't want to make this any longer than it already is. The fact of how easy it is to CP Lucas is already the reason why Lucas shouldn't be winning anything major. I believe we could all stand to be better but I'm not gonna let you all believe that Lucas is perfectly fine as a char.

TL;DR: Lucas IS bad. But he's sexy enough to remain a secondary.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
johns

If we made as few mistakes as M2K and Ally make, we could win tournaments.

We all know Lucas has fewer options than most characters. You just have to take advantage of these few options.

Reflex is capable of winning tournaments with Pokemon Trainer who is only a few spots up on the tier list. Why are we incapable of this?

Skill level

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
It's not even about Skill Level here, our character is just.., well basically, he's just bad.
The reason we do remotely good is because the majority of Brawl players know one match-up well, and that match-up is Metaknight.
Most people don't really know what Lucas is capable of doing.

It's not a great idea to main Lucas, if you wanna play him for fun or in Low Tier tournaments go for it, but don't expect to compete with M2K, Ally, Tyrant, and all the other pro's of the Brawl World.

Besides, look at Galeon's post. What else needs to be said, he basically covered it all.

Galeon

Smash Ace
The issue is that if you're beating top players with a really limited number of options, you're not playing at their level. You're playing way above it. Reflex is amazing and yes, he does well with Pkmn trainer. He also has a Wario to fall back on if things aren't going too great/the opponent adjusts.

There are plenty of people on the Lucas boards who have a big name or two on their Lucas destruction list. But going all Lucas or all Pokemon Trainer/Mario doesn't fly if you want to win big unless you're just that much better than the top players in your state.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I agree with what Galeon said in the second part of his post, we all have our personal accomplishments against players in our region. If not.., we don't really have any bragging rights, but that's besides the point here. Going all Lucas really won't get you anywhere, especially if you play in a highly competitive region such as California, Texas, New Jersey, New York, or Florida.

You're bound to do better in weaker regions, but as Ally and Fatal have shown, the other regions are catching up and Lucas will just keep becoming less and less threatening over time.

Mad respect to you if you stick to going all Lucas in tourney, but if you wanna compete, Metaknight/Snake/Wario/Diddy Kong are always options.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Reflex HAS won tournaments with just Pokemon Trainer.

And yes, the point is being that much better than the top players.

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
We're using a "bad" character, but we should be able to take characters like Reflex. This thread gave me a bit of energy to push myself a bit harder

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Please tell me how many nationals Reflex has won?

I'm not trying to put down anything you're saying and I do know for a fact that Reflex is a beast, but unless Reflex goes and wins SNES or BIOS3, I really won't start believing that Low Tiers are actually tourney viable. Even if I do love Lucas, I won't lie to myself.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I didn't say anything about winning national tournaments. I said Lucas is capable of winning tournaments.

Reflex has won tournaments using only Pokemon Trainer. You have a very different definition of tournament viable than I do.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I didn't say anything about winning national tournaments. I said Lucas is capable of winning tournaments.

Reflex has won tournaments using only Pokemon Trainer. You have a very different definition of tournament viable than I do.
Oh well if that's the logic that's gonna be used, then yes..., Lucas is capable of winning a tournament.
Let's gather about 36 casual players, no Metaknights, Game and Watch's, and Donkey Kong's, and let's see how it all works out.

I understand what you're saying about Reflex, don't get me wrong, but Lucas and PT are different characters and there's yet to be a Lucas main that steps up like Reflex has for the PT mains.

Until then, it doesn't seem like our characters is capable of winning at high levels of competition.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying in this thread. None of us has stepped up to the level of the professionals. It's time to stop wasting time blaming it on our main.

Pokemon Trainer is two spots above Lucas on the tier list and Reflex has won tournaments with him with more than just "36 casual players."

Please, don't insult me by implying that I'm incapable of beating top tier characters that play above a casual level. I'd be happy to cite you some counter examples.

Noraa

Smash Lord
umm tyr you fail to relize that pt has alot more options and squirtle is very much a beast, theres no point as using reflex's pt as a example.

and i think i do ok with lucas so this whole thread is a pile of buls h i t.
you have a problem with a character, go find some one who mains them and practice.
you have a problem with recovery then go practice it.
if you need to learn some moves to punish then go find out.
if you need to relize you cant punish everymove with lucas then you need to know.
if you dont relize some times you have to back away and run with lucas now you know.

stop complaining and just do what you need to do really, play your best.

bunch of babys around here.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
umm tyr you fail to relize that pt has alot more options and squirtle is very much a beast, theres no point as using reflex's pt as a example.

and i think i do ok with lucas so this whole thread is a pile of buls h i t.
you have a problem with a character, go find some one who mains them and practice.
you have a problem with recovery then go practice it.
if you need to learn some moves to punish then go find out.
if you need to relize you cant punish everymove with lucas then you need to know.
if you dont relize some times you have to back away and run with lucas now you know.

stop complaining and just do what you need to do really, play your best.

bunch of babys around here.
Someone speaks the truth!
Ask M2K, he believes Squirtle alone is in the top 10 characters in the game.

Everything said above is true.
Even though playing at your best doesn't always mean victory.

Cool..., I got called a baby ;D

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Doing ok means nothing in this game. None of us are placing anywhere that means anything.

You don't get to just use Squirtle unfortunately. But comparing Lucas to PT isn't the point. The point is that none of us are playing well enough to be anything special.

Blaming it on Lucas is a waste of time. No one can deny the incredible number of errors we all have in our games. It's time to fix these errors.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to stick with Lucas and just keep fighting with it. There's no point in complaining or making excuses. Also I know that it's harder to be at the top with a low tier character, but I believe it's possible to some extent. In the east coast, there is Green Ace who plays Yoshi and he is the 6 top player in the New England region. There is also Riot who is 15 with Zelda, and Watkins who is 17th with Ike, as well as Rylix with Ike on #19. They're all low tier characters and Yoshi is lower in ranking than Lucas! and Green Ace is placing well in competitions.
So for me I agree with Tyr that we do really need to practice. But it is also true that Lucas does have some major Flaws. That doesn't mean there is no reason to quit or think he is bad. If you learn what you need to learn and really focus on the positives of Lucas, you can overcome the problems that he has. If we focus on becoming well known in our respective regions. That is already a healthy step towards making Lucas mains known. Lucas mains don't have to become nationally known immediately. We have time for that! We start by gaining fame in our own regions, and then you continue to break out from there. There is no need to try and jump straight to the top, even m2k and ally had to work on it. If we continue to place well in competitions no matter what they be regular comps and low tier, it helps either way.
Also if you don't have the respect you have from your own state or what ever, than there is nothing really backing you mentally as well when you enter the big competitions. If you know that you're one of the best Lucas' in your region, or manage to become top 10 in say New England, then you are already helping Lucas to become better placed in the tiers, or ranks.
So I don't know what you'll think of this or anything, but I do believe that it's possible for Lucas to rise in the ranks. If an Ike or a Yoshi can do it. THAN WE CAN TOO.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Pride is considered the best Yoshi in the country, he's from NJ and he's not even ranked here.
Supposedly, he's playing a high tier the following season.

I don't know if you're aware of each region's strength, but New England isn't considered to be that strong of a region. I've actually kept track of their rankings and after the top 5, their rankings change drastically each season. Last season, Fuzzy, a Lucas main, was in the top 15 now he's not even ranked in that region.
For Christ's sake, there are two Ike's and a Zelda in their top 20. I'm not trying to put down those players, but still, just seeing those three up there can show you the strength of that region.

Yeah, M2K and Ally weren't known right away, but who do they main?
High tiers. If you want the attention, money, and fame, go play a high tier, don't keep playing Lucas.

I sound like an ***, but hey, I'm being realistic here.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
You can't really compare Lucas to PT though. PT as a whole isn't very good, but Squirtle is amazing and Charizard is pretty decent as well, it's very easy to play the majority of matches just using those two, and quickly sacrificing Ivysaur.

You have to remember Squirtle is relatively decent against the top tiers with the exception of Marth and Falco, whereas Lucas gets slaughtered by them and can be deathgrabbed by virtually the entire cast.

To say that Lucas mains should be doing better means you're saying there's untapped potential with him, but you could really say that about any low tierer, what makes Lucas so different? It's pretty bold to say Lucas mains should be doing alot better, considering Lucas has the deathgrab issue and he's one of the easiest chars to gimp in the game., so unless you've found new ways to develop his metagame extensively you can't really be making those harsh comments.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
It's pretty bold to say Lucas mains should be doing alot better, considering Lucas has the deathgrab issue and he's one of the easiest chars to gimp in the game, so unless you've found new ways to develop his metagame extensively you can't really be making those harsh comments.
Wait wait wait.

This portion of your comment is... troublesome.

Lucas is actually one of the hardest characters in Brawl to gimp with Zap Jump, Magnet Pull, tether, and the properties of his PKT2.

Also, Tyr actually has done a a good deal for Lucas' metagame. Guess there's no way you coulda known that, but yeah... Just be careful how you word things...

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
Fuzzy isnt on the PRs, not because he got outplaced. He isnt on there because he doesnt go to ANY tournaments. He is basically 100% inactive in the competitive scene right now. He has been to 1 tourney in the past 2 months. He got 9th of 36+ at that tourney.

He can't go to many tourneys because of his parents and other issues.

His not being on there does not imply his skill.

EDIT: Oh and im going to win SNES. See you all at the top of the brackets in a couple weeks :)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol I honestly just posted this to see how people would react. The Lucas boards are boring.

The best part is people getting defensive when I actually include myself in statements saying that we need to be playing better than we are.

It makes me sad that none of the Lucas mains have come anywhere near the playing level that M2K and Ally have. If you don't think that Lucas has untapped potential then you haven't watched the top Lucas mains in the country. We're ****ing up all over the place and still managing to place moderately well. I could take vids of any one of us and point out about a thousand things we could be doing better. The question is, how much untapped potential is really there?

If you're saying it's okay to not place well because you play Lucas, then you're blaming it on your character. And that's what a lot of us are doing.

The question I keep asking myself is, what's the difference between me getting top 10 and me getting top 3? The answer is stupid errors that are fixable.

We should all be challenging ourselves to do better. Anything else is boring.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
lol I honestly just posted this to see how people would react. The Lucas boards are boring.

The best part is people getting defensive when I actually include myself in statements saying that we need to be playing better than we are.

It makes me sad that none of the Lucas mains have come anywhere near the playing level that M2K and Ally have. If you don't think that Lucas has untapped potential then you haven't watched the top Lucas mains in the country. We're ****ing up all over the place and still managing to place moderately well. I could take vids of any one of us and point out about a thousand things we could be doing better. The question is, how much untapped potential is really there?

If you're saying it's okay to not place well because you play Lucas, then you're blaming it on your character. And that's what a lot of us are doing.

The question I keep asking myself is, what's the difference between me getting top 10 and me getting top 3? The answer is stupid errors that are fixable.

We should all be challenging ourselves to do better. Anything else is boring.
Shugo, Zeton and Boss all play characters who are technically not tournament viable and have made to the top ranks of their respective states and regions with Sonic, Fox and Luigi. Tyr does have a point.

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
No matter what my main is, I am never satisfied with where I place. People always tell me "main someone else", or "you did poorly because you main a low tier". And I simply tell them "no", its not because I play a low tier, its because of poor playing and the ever present need to get better.

I wont stop playing Lucas even if he drops to F-Tier. I have too much fun playing him, and I always have something to strive for when I play him.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
I dont think Lucas is tourney ready in singles if u kno wut he can do. He iz just a mindgamed kinda character...I main Pit and once he's of stage and they dont get that picay bounce or wutever off he's gimped...IN TEAMS however with a character that can heal him lUcas is a beast....

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
For the record, I think most people understand your point, Tyr. I understand that you mean Lucas could be a recognizable tournament force if we played like Dojo, Ally, etc. because they know how to minimize mistakes.

My only problem with your argument is that you're saying, "Stop making errors, improve yourself immediately", when... that's what we've been doing this whole time. It's not like we go to tournaments and think, "Well, I'll just kind of mess around, here, I'll worry about fixing mistakes later." Minimalizing errors, perfecting DI, and executing every command near perfectly takes a very looong time, which I'm sure you're aware of. The top placing players in this country have gotten to that point faster than us most likely because they go to far more tournaments than we do, which means they're exposed to more players, which means in order to win they have no choice but to realize (and fix) their errors in every single match. I can't speak for other Lucas players, but I know for me, playing the same people in the same region doesn't really force me to fix errors because I pretty much know I can use what works to win (which isn't all that often, but anyway...). Then when I face someone far better, I'm almost blind to all of the mistakes I'm making because they've become habits; habits that previously led to me winning.

I can't say for sure, or speak for anyone besides myself, but it might just be that a lot of Lucas players are "neighborhood heroes", if you will: they can place moderately or even exceptionally well in their own regions, but they can't see their errors because no one there exposes them. It's just about getting out to more tournaments across the country. None of the really high placers just stay at home and beat the same people over and over.

And it's different for everyone. For some fixing these "errors" you mentioned means going into Training Mode and grinding out certain commands like a chaingrab or a dair > dtilt lock for hours on end until you never mess it up. Or for some others like me, you can practice it for days and never get it, but suddenly it just "clicks" one day and you can execute perfectly. For something like DI it means predicting your opponent's attacks almost perfectly; not only that, but after predicting said attack, you have to know which direction to DI to minimize any negative outcomes. For every attack in the game. For every character. Needless to say this ain't happening overnight. And for something like spacing, it's not just yourself you take into account, we're trying to perfect our distances from moving, unpredictable targets. For the most part spacing is something that we can improve indefinitely, but it can never be "perfect" as long as we're playing another human with an unpredictable thought process. Fixing these "stupid errors" is pretty complicated, and a small part of it is not even something we can control in any match.

It's also important to remember this, though; no human is perfect. There's always going to be that annoying instance where you -just- miss that PKT2 angle, or if you underestimated fair's hitbox by a few pixels. I understand when you say fix stupid errors, and agree 100%. But there will always be a few that can't be helped, no matter how long you play the game.

Even if you did perfect all of those things, there's still consistency. There are probably quite a few players who could hold their own at huge national tournaments, but we'd never know because they lack the consistency to always play their best. Honestly, I don't know how a person "improves" consistency, I mean, it just seems kind of automatic. I've been playing Ness/Lucas for over a year and I still lose in tournaments like I just bought the game yesterday, because I choke and start playing clumsily. I don't understand it yet, but that's gotta be a huge obstacle for a lot of people in the "mid level" of the competitive community.

And I mean, human potential is almost infinite. M2K, Ally, FOW, Fiction... they still make mistakes. Everyone in this community is constantly improving. So while we're fixing our own errors, so is everone else, all of the players already better than us included. The key is fixing them faster than they can, which is something I for one haven't figured out how to do yet.

We're all challening ourselves to do better, but it's easier said than done.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Alot of good points made here
Going back to what Galeon first said
he made it seem like Lucas was one of the worst
characters in the game because of his many flaws
understandabble but Lucas is certainly no Captain Falcon or Ganon...he's not that bad

I think maybe we are playing Lucas the wrong way
We need a new revolutionized way of playing Lucas

Lets start this new project and find out
why our character is "bad" and what we can do
to make him "good"

I dont think the developers of this game meant for Lucas to be "bad"
Yea he has the grab release...just dont get grabbed, retreat, space, stay in the air
and yea his grab game is blahh...pivote grab, sheild grab, dont grab unless you see an opening

Also if your opponent is forcing you to approach
stand there,pk fire, or a good option approach with air dodge(his air dodge is great)

Lucas has potential and what makes him different than other low tiers
is nobody knows what to expect from him and maybe he has all these flaws because
he's special and is meant to be taken to the next level and work harder to win

Lets explore all the possibilities of our main
Like using moves we wouldnt normally use

I dont see alot of Lucas' using dtilt unless its after dair
and I dont see alot of fair, uair, or uptilt either

What I mostly see is nair,dair, jab, and of course pk fire

Lets do more...unexpected things like PK freeze or dash attacks
or even bair on stage lol

One last note...I think Lucas is a combo-defensive-hit & run character
Lets find all his combo capabalities(to many of his moves chain together perfectly), not always approaching/being aggressive, and avoid your opponent as long as it takes even if it time runs out...patience is the key

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I like what both Neon Ness and Lil CJ said. I've been trying to use more pk freeze and I think that we can figure out a few more tricks to do with his magnet and how to mindgame them to be hit by it. It may not do much but it can do he trick at certain times, and if possible ko at high percents. and i think there can be more elaborate ways to get jab combos in, etc. and how to use pkt2 more effectively? haha and I like to use dtilt after a 2x jab and then to a ftilt. sometimes it trips and it works to keep them from grabbing you, etc.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I like what both Neon Ness and Lil CJ said. I've been trying to use more pk freeze and I think that we can figure out a few more tricks to do with his magnet and how to mindgame them to be hit by it. It may not do much but it can do he trick at certain times, and if possible ko at high percents. and i think there can be more elaborate ways to get jab combos in, etc. and how to use pkt2 more effectively? haha and I like to use dtilt after a 2x jab and then to a ftilt. sometimes it trips and it works to keep them from grabbing you, etc.

Maybe pk freeze can punish air dodges and people who like to stay on the edge
As for PKT, this is a trick I sometimes do:
After a magnet pull before I hit the ground I do a PKT2
and I sometimes hit my opponent...its pretty cool if it works

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Alot of good points made here
Going back to what Galeon first said
he made it seem like Lucas was one of the worst
characters in the game because of his many flaws
understandabble but Lucas is certainly no Captain Falcon or Ganon...he's not that bad

I think maybe we are playing Lucas the wrong way
We need a new revolutionized way of playing Lucas

Lets start this new project and find out
why our character is "bad" and what we can do
to make him "good"

I dont think the developers of this game meant for Lucas to be "bad"
Yea he has the grab release...just dont get grabbed, retreat, space, stay in the air
and yea his grab game is blahh...pivote grab, sheild grab, dont grab unless you see an opening

Also if your opponent is forcing you to approach
stand there,pk fire, or a good option approach with air dodge(his air dodge is great)

Lucas has potential and what makes him different than other low tiers
is nobody knows what to expect from him and maybe he has all these flaws because
he's special and is meant to be taken to the next level and work harder to win

Lets explore all the possibilities of our main
Like using moves we wouldnt normally use

I dont see alot of Lucas' using dtilt unless its after dair
and I dont see alot of fair, uair, or uptilt either

What I mostly see is nair,dair, jab, and of course pk fire

Lets do more...unexpected things like PK freeze or dash attacks
or even bair on stage lol

One last note...I think Lucas is a combo-defensive-hit & run character
Lets find all his combo capabalities(to many of his moves chain together perfectly), not always approaching/being aggressive, and avoid your opponent as long as it takes even if it time runs out...patience is the key
Lucas is one of the worst characters in the game..., look at his tier placement.

I do agree with the fact that maybe we're all playing the character the wrong way, but let's be honest, this is Brawl. The one strategy you will ALWAYS resort to is camping and I'm sure most of you have noticed by now, Lucas is a very defensive character, so no one here should be afraid to practically pitch a tent out there during a match.

We don't need to start a project to see why our character is bad, but if you do, just copy and paste Galeon's post, because he basically covered everything there. Making a character with limited options for approaching is extremely difficult, so if you're really willing to work on it, expect that to take a long time.

I see/hear that all the time. Don't get grabbed. Once again I'll respond with the same thing I say each and every time. EASIER SAID THAN DONE!! Do you really suggest we stay in the air against characters like Metaknight and even Ness who **** us in the air?

I think I just became diabetic from all the sweet naive things I read about Lucas being special and having untapped potential ='(

We don't approach with fair, because all the opponent has to do is use a move that outprioritized our fair or they can shieldgrab us and punish us like crazy.
How exactly can we approach with Uair or Utilt, I'd really like that one explained.

Freeze practically helps our opponents recover and you're just begging for them to come back onstage and **** us. Dash..., are you serious? Dash? Have you seen that move? We get absolutely ***** if we use that move. We can get shieldgrabbed, hit bit a more powerful move, or the opponent can avoid it all together and punish afterwards. That is a horrible move to approach with, unless you know?... You play with computers or people that like to take hits for no reason whatsoever.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Kansaaaaas?
What's that, do tell?
/sarcasm

Btw, Fox is a way better character than Lucas.
Fox isn't WAY better than lucas. I think we're all underestimating the little kid here. Hes not one of the worst characters in the game. Seriously guys, look at FOW. Ness is lower than lucas on the tier list and hes not WAAAAY better than lucas yet FOW ***** all these pros and places well at big tournies.

Oh, lol. We can't approach with Fair? Retreat that ****. I don't think we'll get shieldgrabbed if we retreat Fair unless their D3

These boards are so ****ing inactive it's not even funny. Matchup thread, dead. Q&A thread, dead. All of our threads that could help us further the metagame are dead..........
;_;

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
It's also important to remember this, though; no human is perfect. There's always going to be that annoying instance where you -just- miss that PKT2 angle, or if you underestimated fair's hitbox by a few pixels. I understand when you say fix stupid errors, and agree 100%. But there will always be a few that can't be helped, no matter how long you play the game.

Even if you did perfect all of those things, there's still consistency.

We're all challening ourselves to do better, but it's easier said than done.
I main IC but I wanted to post anyway. Also, I couldn't agree more with tyr and HUGGS.

You are right, no human is perfect. And there will always be a few mistakes. However, consistensy CAN be achieved. Hylian in Genesis (ICs) did not miss a single chaingrab, well he missed two... by tripping. You have no idea how hard this is. NO idea (well if you second or something the ICs you do). Being 100% consistent with cgs and 0-death every character without messing up it was something I believed that no one could acheive in a Big tourney, due to being nervous and INCREDIBLE hard.

How he acheived this consistency? Practicing. And when you say that when you perfect these things you are missing consistency you are wrong. Perfection includes consistency.

It DOES matter that lucas cannot punish or grab as much as other characters. However, I've seen lain (THE IC main) beat Anther's pickachu last stock with just solo popo. It was something very inspiring to watch. Every good IC main knows that SoPo sucks, and therefore they do not try to win, just to rack up damage till they loose their stock. And sometimes this way, they can beat the other player like Lain did. This is because they accept SoPo weaknesses and play accordingly, trying to NOT MESS UP EVEN ONCE, because when they are offstage, game's over.

It does not matter if lucas is BAD. As said above, please watch shugo. And what I mean by "doesn't matter" is: You can be the best in the world with lucas. But first, you will have to be the best in the world.
Watch Ally, he uses snake at a potential no other snake main can. He didn't beat M2K and Tyrant because of Snake. If he starts to main lucas, I can guarantee that his tourney placings will change, but they will be high anyway.

I believe in Tier lists 100%. But remember, If some programmers built an almost flawless M2K AI, it would happen the same thing if it was an almost flawless Lucas AI.

Just my stupid two cents.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
And what I mean by "doesn't matter" is: You can be the best in the world with lucas. But first, you will have to be the best in the world.
^This 100%

To back up Tyr, the reason there aren't uber players playing Lucas is because those players go on and play high tiers. People who practice hours upon hours a day would rather invest that time in a better character. Since low tiers are less played, their meta game develops slower, only increasing the gap.

There are inherent problems with maining a low tier. I do believe Lucas has potential, but it is a long uphill struggle.

My 3 cents (I have more than you:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom