• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
These 5 are vids of a great ROB, I lost some.

Don't have to critique but I'm open to it.
Good matches, dude. Your ground game's pretty solid, and that was a nice fakeout with the double FAir at the end of the Greninja vid.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm positive I'm not alone in having played really good Falcons. It's definitely at scary MU a times, both for Ganon and Falcon, but more so for Ganon, imo. Falcon's speed is just bananas. If you whiff something from a full stage away, you get grabbed, and his general movement options make him much harder to hit and weave with. Plus he can gimp us more easily, too.

Still a fun MU, though. Just annoying when literally everything you do at any distance is punishable.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
@Vermanubis

Thanks, means a lot coming from a pro. Some people think I play a horrible Ganon due to my unsafe playstyle, so it's good reassurance when you guys critique/compliment.

http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/b/591368894 17:00-21:38

Posted that in the social thread not realizing this was a thing, Idk how I forgot lol.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I mean, it's definitely good to invest in discretion between when to be reckless and when to play it safe, but there are definitely times for each. But yeah, for the most part, your foundation is pretty good and you seem to understand Ganon pretty well. Also, very nice match against the Link as well. Great snag with the boomerang Fsmash.

Also, I've got a few new vids as well, so now seems like a good time to put 'em up:

- vs Bowser

- vs Zelda

Don't wanna overshadow the other links, so I'll put 'em here as well so they get proper attention:

http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/b/591368894 - Opana vs Link (don't know if the media functionw works for Twitch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTjqr_kMFI - Gungnir vs Falcon

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I very much appreciate that; I can't wait to watch your videos as my PC runs videos very poorly. I'll need to on the U, that or the DS.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm positive I'm not alone in having played really good Falcons. It's definitely at scary MU a times, both for Ganon and Falcon, but more so for Ganon, imo. Falcon's speed is just bananas. If you whiff something from a full stage away, you get grabbed, and his general movement options make him much harder to hit and weave with. Plus he can gimp us more easily, too.

Still a fun MU, though. Just annoying when literally everything you do at any distance is punishable.
You're right. The match-up seems like everything it was in Brawl, but both characters could use their traits much more efficiently now. Falcon is shockingly fast. But I do believe that it's still on an even end. Falcon is all over the place, but that's what he needs to be doing in order to stand a chance.

@Edit, good games there. I'll add them to the OP.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@Vermanubis

Thanks, means a lot coming from a pro. Some people think I play a horrible Ganon due to my unsafe playstyle, so it's good reassurance when you guys critique/compliment.

http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/b/591368894 17:00-21:38

Posted that in the social thread not realizing this was a thing, Idk how I forgot lol.
You actually improved noticeably from last time. I just didn't yet feel like articulating it because I like to be fairly specific about my observations. Maybe it's a bit late but I could go over your vids again and try to update my analysis of your playstyle.

I think Falcon beats us very slightly. He has to respect Ganondorf's priority in mid range but up close his jab and grab are hard to deal with. We get killed by him just as easily as we can kill him too.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Man, is it just me or are proper Marths nearly impossible to deal with? It feels like WF is the only tool I have to try to get in on autocanceling floaty disjoints.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Man, is it just me or are proper Marths nearly impossible to deal with? It feels like WF is the only tool I have to try to get in on autocanceling floaty disjoints.
N-air and DA are pretty good too. If anything, I'd recommend them over Wizkick, because Wizkick is more vulnerable to Counter.

Marth's range has never been a serious problem for Ganon, even in Brawl. The biggest problem from Marth is more his mobility and traps. He punishes you easily and hard, but on a move by move basis he does actually have to be respectful against you.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Marth's range is even less of an issue here, so I'll just second A2Z's statement. Ganon's range makes Marth have to, at the very least, be cautious.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I agree with all the chaps above me. I'd like to add that Marth doesn't appreciate getting thrown into the air. He has extremely limited options when above someone, outside a double jump, dair, air dodge, or counter. If he burns his double jump, follow him, and read accordingly. Up air is a good juggle tool.
I wouldn't recommend trying to side b to dtilt Marth because he can get out of the choke with no problems. You'll have to read his actions.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I would love that. :)
In short, I can tell you are observing and reacting to your opponent better than before. This was my primary criticism of your playstyle earlier. You overall know how to capitalize effectively when the opportunity is given, and I very much approve of your effort in judging your opponent's options before acting.

At the moment, I think the main thing I'd try to tell you is that your spacing could be more precise. You don't always make the best use of Ganondorf's range on his moves, and I feel thus your playstyle is weakest overall in midrange. Furthermore on a more advanced level, it's important to be able to recognize situations where what might be slightly less than optimal spacing for you can be used as an opportunity to play mindgames with your opponent's defensive habits. Consider this moment. Naturally, spacing the F-tilt correctly or reacting with B-reverse Flame Choke would have been your goal to get a consistent punish. However you also did not need to commit specifically to D-tilt at this moment, and this is where you could have gotten really scary by either waiting, or threatening to move in for dashgrab/DA and either actually going for it or using your positioning to force your opponent into another punishable defensive commitment.

Perhaps if there is one move that you should try to implement more, it's U-smash. U-smash by itself is not great in midrange, but it's a fairly disjointed move that people don't want to challenge in the air, and it's also a great move for punishing people who spotdodge or roll towards you. When you get your opponent afraid of your other ground moves, and they start committing to other things to avoid them, a well-placed U-smash can often be huge in capitalizing on that fear.

I feel like also you are a little trigger happy on grounded Wizkick at times, which may in part be part of how you try to compensate for midrange. The primary times I would use Wizkick are either in long range punishes/land traps or situations where I want to punish people who are jumping in place trying to space me out. Most of the time, DA is preferable to grounded Wizkick outside of the situations where you need the extra range or active frames, as DA generally does more damage and leads to better followups.

Keep in mind, part of my bias as a Ganon player is that I'm by default a defensive player who works more on spacing as opposed to traps and followups. I'm not usually as confident in followups as other Ganon players, but I've landed my fair share of clutch F-smashes and F-airs in other matches.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Just got to watching your set @ Opana Opana . You have a very solid Dorf. Nice punishing of rolls. You should try practising wizkick cancels in friendly matches to get a better hang of them.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
In short, I can tell you are observing and reacting to your opponent better than before. This was my primary criticism of your playstyle earlier. You overall know how to capitalize effectively when the opportunity is given, and I very much approve of your effort in judging your opponent's options before acting.

At the moment, I think the main thing I'd try to tell you is that your spacing could be more precise. You don't always make the best use of Ganondorf's range on his moves, and I feel thus your playstyle is weakest overall in midrange. Furthermore on a more advanced level, it's important to be able to recognize situations where what might be slightly less than optimal spacing for you can be used as an opportunity to play mindgames with your opponent's defensive habits. Consider this moment. Naturally, spacing the F-tilt correctly or reacting with B-reverse Flame Choke would have been your goal to get a consistent punish. However you also did not need to commit specifically to D-tilt at this moment, and this is where you could have gotten really scary by either waiting, or threatening to move in for dashgrab/DA and either actually going for it or using your positioning to force your opponent into another punishable defensive commitment.

Perhaps if there is one move that you should try to implement more, it's U-smash. U-smash by itself is not great in midrange, but it's a fairly disjointed move that people don't want to challenge in the air, and it's also a great move for punishing people who spotdodge or roll towards you. When you get your opponent afraid of your other ground moves, and they start committing to other things to avoid them, a well-placed U-smash can often be huge in capitalizing on that fear.

I feel like also you are a little trigger happy on grounded Wizkick at times, which may in part be part of how you try to compensate for midrange. The primary times I would use Wizkick are either in long range punishes/land traps or situations where I want to punish people who are jumping in place trying to space me out. Most of the time, DA is preferable to grounded Wizkick outside of the situations where you need the extra range or active frames, as DA generally does more damage and leads to better followups.

Keep in mind, part of my bias as a Ganon player is that I'm by default a defensive player who works more on spacing as opposed to traps and followups. I'm not usually as confident in followups as other Ganon players, but I've landed my fair share of clutch F-smashes and F-airs in other matches.
You know, I noticed I didn't Usmash much, but the majority of this info will go a long way in helping me. Even if I don't play a defensive dorf, I do need to know how to go defensive when necessary and appreciate the input. I have been missing my cancels lately lol, and in that tourney I kept sding with a fast falled nair >_>. Was trying to ff Uair but I hadn't used a GC controller in years and was adjusting.

I'll keep al these things in mind, I very much appreciate all input.

@Ray_Kalm

Yeah sounds good, thanks for taking the time to watch.

Also, this will sound newbish but I thought you had to stop mid dash to shield during a roll this whole time lol.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Also a quick tip to always keep in mind, Ganon has one of the shortest dashes in the game so doing run into shield is really fast with Ganon and can help you if you predict your opponent is gonna throw out something.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Something I used to do in Brawl that was pretty effective was a delayed dash attack, idk why I stopped.

After stopping your dash there's a period where you can DA, although I think everyone knows. Just saying I liked doing that but stopped for some reason. Kinda the same with usmash, idk what's up lol.

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
I made a kind of goodbye 3DS "combo" video featuring my Ganon:

I'll link a really good competitive tourney set I had too as soon as they upload it.

Here's the tourney set. Me vs. Ryo Winners Finals WiiU:

Linked it in another thread somewhere too, not sure if that's okay.

Last edited:

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
User name: M.C.Jeducation
In-Game name: Jed
3DS Friend Code: 4210-4183-4381
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Jazzy_Ocelot
Country of Residence: Australia
Palette Colour: 4, 5 and Old Manondorf
Message: Bringing the chaos and pain of the King of Darkness to the Land Down Under.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
I made a kind of goodbye 3DS "combo" video featuring my Ganon:

I'll link a really good competitive tourney set I had too as soon as they upload it.

Dude. You clutched out so hard that set. Awesome. I loved watching it.

chumlord

Smash Cadet
NNID
chumlord
I'm playing pretty much exclusively ganondorf on my twitch... if anyone wants to come out and talk about ganondorf or whatever please stop on by... twitch.tv/chumlord

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I have a small contribution

My friend is playing ganondorf in this one. It wasn't a very skillful match. It was laggy, we were just having some fun and our opponents even killed themselves sometimes, so, forgive me for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1i8ut1kO4&feature=youtu.be

Recorded because of an unexpected situation around 1m18s.
Anyway, Zelda is a nice assist to ganon in this game. They're wonderful together.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
User name: @ Sovereign Sovereign
In-Game name: Sovereign
3DS Friend Code: n/a
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: n/a
Country of Residence: US of A
Palette Colour: Blood-dorf

I'm without home internet, for now. I'll provide my code and everything once I get settled into my own place, which at this point, may take a while, but I'll keep you guys in the loop. I look forward to playing you guys, when the time comes.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I still want to watch Verm and Z1gma's matches but my pc runs them so poorly, and my time on the U is spent smashing lol.

Humanity

Smash Cadet
User name: @ Humanity Humanity
In-Game name: Humanity
3DS Friend Code: 3437-3189-8809
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: N/A (for now)
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Old Man Ganon

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Alright, so I'll be back home with my Wii U for a few days. So I'm ready to rumble (I'm in EST time), so... yeah...

<---- also 1111 posts :3

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Although all of this video is in French, I found it very interesting:

Ganon Vs. Bowser Rap Battle

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
User name: Heavy Lobster
In game name: Heavy Lobster
3DS Friend Code: N/A
Wii U NNID: HeavyLobster43
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Color: DefaultDorf

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961

... :surprised:

I'm in awe. People said Ike was underpowered. Even after Ryuga got to Grand Finals with Ike in the 3DS era, people kept saying, Ike sucks, but this guy... This guy plays Ike so good, he looks like he's playing Melee. He seriously looks like he's wavedashing. But you were right there with him, pulling some pretty insane stunts yourself. Last stock last hit situation, he chases you to gimp, and you Up-B at just the right moment for the stage spike. Nice work.

If I had to critique anything, it's that you always charged your up-smashes completely, and he knew it, so even though up-smash has low end lag, he'd wait for your fully charged smash to go off and then nail you in the balls right as the hitboxes went away, every time. When you have someone conditioned like that, mix them up by letting go early. Most likely scenario, he plays it safe and you don't get combo'd. Best case scenario, he uses an ill-timed attack that you can punish.

Last edited:

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
User Name: Cancel
Game Name: Diaz
Wii u ID: Diaz30
California

add me guys i would like to learn more of ganon, when i get home i will add some of you guys.

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
Anyone interested in a Ganon Skype group? Think imma attempt to put one together.

Quail93

Smash Rookie
User Name: Quail93
Game Name: Yung Dorf
Maryland

I've been playing ganondorf seriously for about 2 weeks now. I still need a bit of polish on my Ganon but I felt the need to share. Please let me know what i need to improve on ( I am aware that i have SD's too often, something i need to work on)

Last edited:
Top Bottom