• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Realized I should have invoked the power of tags a few posts ago.

@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm Update my information at your evil convenience.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Tournament games from Gungnir. Don't know the bracket size, but he made it to the finals.
Vs Lucario
Vs Yoshi

EDIT: He said there were 106 attendees! O_o

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Missed opportunity to FTilt the Yoshi out of flame choke for victory that first game, but overall Yoshi has too much pressuring tools, safe approaches and shield grabs (with his neutral B and regular grab). His aerial speed makes him very deadlier and unexpecting from afar, and Ganon's raw killing power isn't as helpful due to Yoshi's heavy weight.

Yoshi's a very good character all around, but I'd have to say that the match-up isn't any worse than 60-40 Yoshi's favour. The match-ups seem far more balanced for Ganon in this game, and I consider Yoshi to be amongst the best in the game right now.

Gung's Ganon got 2nd in a tournament of 106 attendees. That says a lot about Ganon's improvement.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, like, even though the Yoshi matchup clearly looked uphill, it wasn't hopeless. He definitely had the opportunity to win if certain reads worked out. Even though he lost, I still was impressed at how well he maintained his composure for most of the match.

I actually feel Yoshi will get slightly easier for Ganondorf and other characters on the Wii-U where there is less latency. One really important part about playing vs Yoshi hinges on reactively spotdodging Egg Lay, which Gungnir wasn't able to do in the matches I watched. It is a simultaneously tedious but intense matchup to play because Yoshi's punishes are really good. In exchange, a matchup like Jigglypuff will be harder on the Wii-U where her B-air spacing can be pulled off more precisely.

Last edited:

Baltarc

Smash Rookie
User name: @ Baltarc Baltarc
In-Game name: Josh
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6264-9441
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Baltarc
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Old Manon
Message: "I was once a scrawny 17 year old high school student when I picked up Ganon [...] Three weeks later I was a 28 year old lumberjack with a wife and two kids. And could have in-depth conversations about the finer points of scotch." --Koog330, Reddit

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I agree with Kalm. Gungnir is clearly a fantastic player, but what was demonstrated in that video wasn't the result of an obscenely disproportionate MU ratio, rather, as you guys've already said, the Yoshi just knew how to play the MU really well and didn't let Gungnir scare him.

All the same, I look forward to see what all work the Ganons put it, and Mr. Gungnir's no exception.

Anyway, I'm aiming to upload videos of each character for a general MU reference, even though I can't guarantee all of them will be ideal demonstrations of them. All the same, I'll do my best not to post matches where there's nothing of value because of one-sidedness on either end or inaccurate depictions of MUs.

- vs Rosalina. Definitely one of the best matches I've gotten so far in terms of MU demonstration. This Rosalina really shows what I feel she has that'll make life very difficult for Ganon

- vs G&W.

- vs Wario. It sucks that he SDed around 70-80% first stock, but I thought the match was still cohesive enough to be worth posting

- and a bonus :ganondorf:

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
A recent for Glory match I had against quite a good Megaman player. We played a lot of games, he managed to take off a few. Megaman's BAir has amazing potential.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

Watulio

Smash Cadet
I have some nice videos:

Smash 3ds for glory: Ganondorf vs Captain Falcon: youtu.be/J7sY8GPk6nA

Smash 3ds for glory: Ganondorf vs Fox: youtu.be/YWEU5rRfkckrRfkck

Smash 3ds for glory: Ganondorf vs Lucina: youtu.be/BkeD1wIzRG8

Smash 3ds for glory: Ganondorf vs Link: youtu.be/bvR0aBAi3xc

Behold! The power of well placed ganon punches and u tilts!

Watulio

Smash Cadet
@vernubis: Luma is what makes rosalina so annoying to fight. It shouldn't be able to attack if rosalina is hitstunned. Anyways, i'm glad you beat her to the pulp

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Hey guys, I'm about to have a best of 9, first to 4 set with Gungnir in a bit. I'll save the replays, upload them and tell you how it goes.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
He took the set 4-1, and we played a lot of friendlies afterwards. Some friendlies I won, some friendlies he won.

He has his Ganon down to a notch, his accuracy with what he does is amazing. He didn't get 2nd at a tournament for nothing.

He'll be uploading a few of those games to Nico, so I don't think I'll have to.

We'll both play together again soon, hopefully using the skills we learned from one another.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sorry to nitpick, but first to four games is technically "best of 7". Consider the following win possibilities:
OXOXOXO vs XOXOXOX, with "O" being your wins, and "X" being your losses.

Yeah again, I'm nitpicking.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
User name: Adom4
In-Game name: Adom
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6434-6692
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Adom15510
Country of Residence: Israel
Palette Colour: Red armor

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
User name: whoknowswhat
In-Game name: Big Fudge
3DS Friend Code: 1864-9884-2286
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Green or red

I don't frequent on the forums often, but I might show up from time to time.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
User name: Adom4
In-Game name: Adom
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6434-6692
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Adom15510
Country of Residence: Israel
Palette Colour: Red armor

Ahh! An Israeli brother in Ganon! One who surely, in the fashion of the King of Evil, will assemble legions at Megiddo when the clock strikes the final hour? With Gehenna not far off either, Israel is the true Gerudo desert.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ahh! An Israeli brother in Ganon! One who surely, in the fashion of the King of Evil, will assemble legions at Megiddo when the clock strikes the final hour? With Gehenna not far off either, Israel is the true Gerudo desert.
The only thing i have common with Ganon is that we both look like jews lol.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
User name: Nysyarc
In-Game name: Nysyarc
3DS Friend Code: 1075-0983-2504
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Nysyarc
Country of Residence: Canada
Palette Colour: Old Manondorf
Message: Played Ganon for fun a lot in Brawl, and I like the way he seems to stack up better in Smash 4. I'm always down to have friendlies with anybody.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Obvious fault to the shield... But just felt like sharing this moment I had today in For Glory vs the vile Zelda. And as this is the video thread, I figured it's not the worst place to post it. I'm sure you've all shared the moment and this is hardly a big deal it's just fun. I generally get really into matches vs Link/Zelda.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Aye, in spite of M2K's odd performance, those were definitely enjoyable matches. Thanks for posting them, dude.

Anyway, here's some more of my jank.

- vs. DK
- vs. Peach
- vs. Mario

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Here's a match against our current match-up discussion, Luigi.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Vermanubis-
Haha can't believe you got away with finishing DK with 2 aerial WKs, nice comeback. He must have been flustered by the end...
And always a fan of those tight SH Fairs (0:49 vs Peach) they're risky with lag but landing them is so tasty, solid job in general.

The mario one, was notable because you died at 4:20?

ggs

Here's a match against our current match-up discussion, Luigi.
Solid Job, very few wasted inputs. 1:16 was the highlight for me. I find Luigi to be far less of a headache than Mario... but they both have the combo game pretty easily covered on someone like Dorf. Luckily we can eat the % for the most part.

Edit: curses, sorry for the double post, I could have sworn it said another had posted while I was still on the page but didn't reload. I'm combining these two responses into 1 and using the below space for a video.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Not the greatest. But in case any fellow Ganons want to see some windows for Rosa, granted this Rosa was not the best by any means and I was a little sloppy either way. But it may help someone.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
A few handpicked friendlies Vs @Izaw . Our connection is really good, so it's almost like playing offline.
He won the majority of games.
I decided to upload a couple of highlight-games:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
A few handpicked friendlies Vs @Izaw . Our connection is really good, so it's almost like playing offline.
He won the majority of games.
I decided to upload a couple of highlight-games:
That first fight showcased how nasty the threat was... brutal.
The second video is more than a redeemer. loved the 1/2 Nair into Dair off the bat gimp. And solid job with your ledge trump play. It is always so satisfying stealing the ledge and following up with Bair instantly. I practiced this non stop since I found the mechanic added.
The third one was the perfect example of how difficult Link can be but how the game is never over for Ganon. A few clean tilts and chokes can do so much if you've kept your cool and not thrown the game in frustration.

Excellent stuff Z1gma.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Thanks for the input, Wiley. :colorful: Good match, against that Rosa. Good spacing against her Luma, too.

And Zig, we finally get to see you play! The Ganjadorf has sealed the Hero of Time away once more.

Also, I fixed the Mario video I put up. I accidentally uploaded a different one and it cut out. The real one's up now (or should be in 5 minutes or so).

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well this Mario video makes more sense now x] Well done man,
Ganondorf is not a combo'r but if you can read your opponent, damn is it brutal (as seen 1:15 starting with the choke) 3+ reads and full connects and you're well on your way to taking a stock from most of the cast. The timing and spacing on your wiz kick > Dair was clutch, very evil way to close the game >:D

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The Ganjadorf has sealed the Hero of Time away once more.
I wanted to use Wizardorf (purple) at first, but on 3DS it looks just like the standardorf one, so I'm rolling with Ganjadorf/Weedorf atm.
Will use the purple one on WiiU, though.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I have been big red Ganon, hence the Cinnamon side name >;D since my casual, spiking everyone with a pulse, melee days. I'm peeking into the competitive scene this time around though. But I agree about purple, or Wizardorf as you call him, looks too similar to standard on the 3DS... When I was younger I used to have a focused playstyle for each color Ganon XD and the red one was the combined set of skills, the one you got to face if you could handle the others. Others would be pure "special" based attacks others were all neutrals etc. obviously not effective but it was so fun in my casual scene for me.

So I lost to this Pacman today pretty badly :/ I never run into them so he made a fool of me in a few areas. But I was pleased that it only took that 1 loss to figure out some nice punishment. If any of you Ganons are unfamiliar with the MU there are a few counterplays in here you might find. Unfortunately a few of these are just reads for that player specifically, but habits to look out for are when he likes to drop hydrants (up smash seems to punish that pretty hard in range, and hits the hydrant if not) and what items he likes to focus on primarily with his neutral b. Not the most common MU but the yellow Pie did catch me by surprise, hopefully it won't for you.

Last edited:

Panchito

Smash Rookie
NNID
PanCat
3DS FC
4768-7623-9286
User name: Panchito
In-Game name: Panchito
3DS Friend Code: 4768-7623-9286
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: PanCat
Country of Residence: The Glorious US of A
Palette Colour: Old Man (very original), although I am taking a liking to his purple variant.
Message: This is a new account, don't remember my old one's details. Played Ganondorf in Brawl as well, went by the name Criss.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Holy as in HolyNightmare? At any rate I believe you played the matchup on point and made the right punishes when they needed to happen. Very very well played.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Holy as in HolyNightmare? At any rate I believe you played the matchup on point and made the right punishes when they needed to happen. Very very well played.
Yeah, Holy Nightmare. Odd coincidence we were both up awake at 4:00ish AM and got each other on for Glory. Couldn't tell it was him at first, but after the characters he used and seeing his playstyle, I figured it was him.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Excellent. You played good matches, alright.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

Here are another two games against Holy. His Metaknight this time.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I like how you're the one applying the pressure, and not Meta Knight.
Delicious WKC > Ledge Theft Bairs

Top Bottom